Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

View Poll Results: Which of these 2nd year RBs will have the most rushing yards?
Maurice Drew-Jones 14 15.73%
Reggie Bush 12 13.48%
Laurence Maroney 51 57.30%
Deangelo Williams 7 7.87%
Jerious Norwood 5 5.62%
Voters: 89. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-04-2007, 04:54 PM    (permalink
iloxygenil
Pro Bowler

iloxygenil hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.iloxygenil hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.
Post Which of the 2nd year RBs will have the most rushing yards?

I know it's a copy of the other thread, but I think these are the better backs than that crew.
iloxygenil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 04:56 PM    (permalink
Moses
All-NFLDC

Moses could make a wolverine purr.Moses could make a wolverine purr.Moses could make a wolverine purr.Moses could make a wolverine purr.Moses could make a wolverine purr.Moses could make a wolverine purr.

Maroney. Bush, Jones-Drew, Williams, and Norwood will all be splitting carries.
Moses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 04:56 PM    (permalink
iloxygenil
Pro Bowler

iloxygenil hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.iloxygenil hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I know most of the nut huggers are going to pick Reggie Bush, I shouldn't have even put him on here, he's not going to get enough carries to have the most yards in this group...not rushing yards...total yards MAYBE...but he's going to be seeing a lot of time in the slot.

Norwood is going to get a VAST majority of the carries in Atlanta it seems, because he can run powerfully where Dunn can't, Drew-Jones will split carries, but I'd imagine he's going to be getting most of the carries towards the end. Williams is not going to have his carries divided too much, Foster can't stay healthy to save his life, and Williams is a FAR better back. Only reason I say it's going to be Williams over Maroney is because I think NE is going to air it out this season.

Last edited by iloxygenil : 07-04-2007 at 04:58 PM.
iloxygenil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 05:18 PM    (permalink
d34ng3l021
All-Pro

d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Either Deangelo Williams or Jerious Norwood.

"He's the leader of the next great class of NFL players." - John Elway on Matt Ryan
d34ng3l021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 05:26 PM    (permalink
fenikz
Pillow Hat Pal
Legend

fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Where is Joesph Addai?

because he will be the leading all of em
Old 07-04-2007, 05:31 PM    (permalink
Geo
Neo Geo (Moderator)
Icon

Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Joseph Addai will have the most rushing yards, I think. The Colts will still have a second back to spell him, likely DeDe Dorsey, but I think we'll see his carries increase slightly (but certainly not break 300 like some are projecting); if for no other reason than he looks to be the best short-yardage runner on the roster. Addai has been working on his route running such that the team is enticed to move him around the field more this season, so that might transfer some carries into receptions however.

Reggie Bush will probably have the most yards from scrimmage, esepcially with Joe Horn gone. People expecting Meachem to repeat Colston's performance last year will be disappointed, Colston was the exception instead of the rule, really.

Laurence Maroney could rush the most, but I'm not sold enough to take him over Addai. The Patriots offense won't be better than that of the Colts imo, and while Maroney will likely have more carries than Addai, I don't think it's enough to bridge the gap yardage-wise. Having similar FieldTurf from day one is a plus for Maroney, compared to last year.

Maurice Drew won't get enough carries, especially with man-beast Greg Jones healthy and back on the active roster. The Jags offense has changed its offensive coordinators this off-season in hopes of upgrading its passing game, that doesn't help Drew rushing-wise. He does have an easier schedule than Addai because he gets to play the Colts twice a year instead of the Jags defense twice a year, though Mo Drew lost his favorite player in Cato June, and because the Jags play teams from other divisions who finished in the same place the previous season.

Deangelo Williams won't get enough carries, and is a better receiving back than rushing back if anything right now.

Norwood is easily the best back on the Falcons roster, Dunn's legs aren't what they once were unfortunately, but it's unconceivable to say he'll do better than the rest. One could also wonder how well his slashing style will fit with a more power running-geared offense.

Last edited by Geo : 07-04-2007 at 05:34 PM.
Geo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 05:43 PM    (permalink
d34ng3l021
All-Pro

d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.d34ng3l021 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo View Post
Joseph Addai will have the most rushing yards, I think. The Colts will still have a second back to spell him, likely DeDe Dorsey, but I think we'll see his carries increase slightly (but certainly not break 300 like some are projecting); if for no other reason than he looks to be the best short-yardage runner on the roster. Addai has been working on his route running such that the team is enticed to move him around the field more this season, so that might transfer some carries into receptions however.

Reggie Bush will probably have the most yards from scrimmage, esepcially with Joe Horn gone. People expecting Meachem to repeat Colston's performance last year will be disappointed, Colston was the exception instead of the rule, really.

Laurence Maroney could rush the most, but I'm not sold enough to take him over Addai. The Patriots offense won't be better than that of the Colts imo, and while Maroney will likely have more carries than Addai, I don't think it's enough to bridge the gap yardage-wise. Having similar FieldTurf from day one is a plus for Maroney, compared to last year.

Maurice Drew won't get enough carries, especially with man-beast Greg Jones healthy and back on the active roster. The Jags offense has changed its offensive coordinators this off-season in hopes of upgrading its passing game, that doesn't help Drew rushing-wise. He does have an easier schedule than Addai because he gets to play the Colts twice a year instead of the Jags defense twice a year, though Mo Drew lost his favorite player in Cato June, and because the Jags play teams from other divisions who finished in the same place the previous season.

Deangelo Williams won't get enough carries, and is a better receiving back than rushing back if anything right now.

Norwood is easily the best back on the Falcons roster, Dunn's legs aren't what they once were unfortunately, but it's unconceivable to say he'll do better than the rest. One could also wonder how well his slashing style will fit with a more power running-geared offense.
Damn. Completely forgot about Addai.

Great analysis on all situations though.

"He's the leader of the next great class of NFL players." - John Elway on Matt Ryan
d34ng3l021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 07:01 PM    (permalink
Komp
Veteran

Komp is so money.Komp is so money.Komp is so money.Komp is so money.Komp is so money.Komp is so money.Komp is so money.Komp is so money.Komp is so money.Komp is so money.Komp is so money.

I'm gonna go with Maroney, but I think all of these backs are going to have a great 2nd year.

Sig by fenikz! Cheers!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
Mr. Dukes comes from the Michael Irvin "talk loud and maybe people will think I know what I am talking about" school of football analysis.
Komp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 07:10 PM    (permalink
America
Pro Bowler

America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Maroney should have the most rushing yards, since he is really the only one who is the primary runner for the team. Total yards is a different story, but Maroney should get the most yards soley due to the fact that he will get the bulk of his team's carries.
America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 08:02 PM    (permalink
Veteran

22,895 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Reggie Bush.
22,895 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 08:06 PM    (permalink
ks_perfection
Veteran

ks_perfection hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Maroney by a mile, he's the only starter of the entire group.
ks_perfection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 08:06 PM    (permalink
Vikes99ej
Icon

Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Laurence Maroney. Just my opinion, but I think the acquisitions of Moss and Stallworth will benifit Maroney. I think defenses will pay so much attention to the passing game, that the defense won't be as tuned to the run. Just my thoughts.
Vikes99ej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 08:19 PM    (permalink
The Dynasty
Pro Bowler

The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Dynasty is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think it will end up Boney Maroney, Deangelo Williams, Reggie Bush, Joesph Addai, Maurice Jones Drew, and then Norwood.

Vikings | Yankees | Magic | Sabres | Chelsea FC | Alabama | St. Bonaventure
The Dynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 08:28 PM    (permalink
KCJ58
Icon

KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

im might say Reggie Bush but he's sharing with McAlister so i would say Laurence Maroney over Addai and Bush

KCJ58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 08:33 PM    (permalink
the dude
Rookie

the dude is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.the dude is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.the dude is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.the dude is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.the dude is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.the dude is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.the dude is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.the dude is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.the dude is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.the dude is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.the dude is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Laurence Maroney is a stud
the dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 08:50 PM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

In order based solely on rushing proficiency:

1. Laurence Maroney
2. Joseph Addai
3. DeAngelo Williams
4. Maurice Jones-Drew
5. Jerious Norwood
6. Reggie Bush

Shiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 09:07 PM    (permalink
Geo
Neo Geo (Moderator)
Icon

Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't see Maroney carrying the ball 300 times or close to that in 2007, truth be told.

Even if he could carry that workload, why would the Patriots wear him down in the regular season? Their goal isn't to make the playoffs, it's to advance in the playoffs, and that means being able to count on Maroney then.

I saw the exact thing in 2006 with Addai, he was the best back on the roster and his yards per carry average (4.8) handsomely bested that of Dom Rhodes (3.4), but Rhodes nonetheless started every game in the regular season and carried the ball 187 times to Addai's 226 carries (54.7% of the pair's total carries). Come the playoffs, both RBs had reasonably fresh legs - something that can't be stressed enough imo - and Addai went on to set NFL post-season rookie records for receptions (22) and yards from scrimmage (412). A numbers comparison:

Code:
2006 Joseph Addai
Season   G   RuAtt   RuAtt/G   RuYds   RuYds/G   Rec   Rec/G   RecYds   RecYds/G
Reg     16     226      14.1    1081      67.6    40     2.5      325       20.3
Post     4      76        19     294      73.5    22     5.5      118       29.5
Don't overlook that, amidst all of the wide receiver acquisitions the Patriots made this off-season, the team wisely signed Sammy Morris who I think is a very good back to spell Maroney. And Kevin Faulk is still on the roster, a shifty back who excels on draw plays and passing situations.

I think both Maroney and Addai carry the ball around 260 times, which averages out to a healthy 16.25 carries per game, this season.

Last edited by Geo : 07-04-2007 at 09:12 PM.
Geo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 09:10 PM    (permalink
Moses
All-NFLDC

Moses could make a wolverine purr.Moses could make a wolverine purr.Moses could make a wolverine purr.Moses could make a wolverine purr.Moses could make a wolverine purr.Moses could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiver View Post
In order based solely on rushing proficiency:

1. Laurence Maroney
2. Joseph Addai
3. DeAngelo Williams
4. Maurice Jones-Drew
5. Jerious Norwood
6. Reggie Bush
You actually think Reggie Bush is the worst runner of that group?
Moses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 09:11 PM    (permalink
ricky bobby
Pro Bowler

Location: Oh please give me a good reputation. I'm so concerned with what you think about me!
ricky bobby hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

1. Laurence Maroney
2. Joseph Addai
3. Maurice Jones Drew
4. Reggie Bush
5. Jerious Norwood
6. DeAngelo Williams
ricky bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 09:21 PM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moses View Post
You actually think Reggie Bush is the worst runner of that group?
I do. He was the least productive runner out of that group last year. I think he'll continue to be the most oft-used RB/WR weapon in the passing game. I just don't imagine he is going to steal any more carries away from Deuce McAllister than he did last year. He may improve as a runner, but I don't see producing more on the ground than any of those other 'Backs.

Last edited by Shiver : 07-04-2007 at 09:23 PM.
Old 07-04-2007, 09:37 PM    (permalink
nvot9
All-Pro

Location: And it's not even that big of a deal, something like 8% of kids do it.
nvot9 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I think it's hard NOT to say Maroney, especially the way he played last year.

Bush, well he's got another top RB to share time with, plus he will be used in many more ways, not solely as an RB like the others. MJD, well the Jaguars certainly aren't boasting the kinda OL that NE is, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was him. Norwood, I honestly don't see him being a big, #1 back, call me crazy..and Deangelo is good, no doubt, I just don't see him better than Maroney. I mean Maroney's got a top offense and it's gunna be extremely tough for D's to focus in on him with such a versatile offense, like they can the other guys, plus, Maroney's a big time back, when he gets the ball, regardless of how often it is, it's gunna be a big run, he's always a threat to take it to the house..

Jets will not take McFadden...
nvot9 is offline   Reply With Quote
JF4
Pro Bowler

JF4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JF4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JF4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JF4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JF4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JF4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JF4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JF4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JF4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JF4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JF4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

1. Laurence Maroney
2. Joseph Addai
3. Reggie Bush
4. Maurice Jones Drew
5. DeAngelo Williams
6. Jerious Norwood

stephenson86
JF4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Geo
Neo Geo (Moderator)
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiver View Post
I do. He was the least productive runner out of that group last year. I think he'll continue to be the most oft-used RB/WR weapon in the passing game. I just don't imagine he is going to steal any more carries away from Deuce McAllister than he did last year. He may improve as a runner, but I don't see producing more on the ground than any of those other 'Backs.
If we're just limiting this to rushing yards (which isn't the ideal imo, but let's go on):

Jerious Norwood 99-633-2
Reggie Bush 154-558-6
DeAngelo Williams 121-501-1

Bush certainly wasn't the least productive rusher of the backs mentioned, the touchdowns more than eclipse the yards per carry average if you want to nit-pick.

Personally, I love Bush. What a spectacular talent. I really think we're looking at one of the next great backs in him, there are guys who are bigger and badder but it's the combination of playmaking ability and innate desire to succeed that the special ones have. I see that in Bush.
Old 07-04-2007, 09:41 PM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

Of those "rushing" touchdowns, half of them were accumulated by end around runs from the WR position. He's a great hybrid player, but I don't see his role changing. I think they will continue using him as a WR first, RB second. Why would they give Reggie Bush any more carries? Norwood and Williams will have an increased role in their respective rushing attacks. Deuce McAllister is a top flight RB when healthy, whereas Warrick Dunn and DeShaun Foster are not.

Last edited by Shiver : 07-04-2007 at 09:43 PM.
Old 07-04-2007, 10:09 PM    (permalink
Geo
Neo Geo (Moderator)
Icon

I don't see what's wrong with using Bush as a receiver: he averaged over 8.4 yards per reception in 2006, catching 89 receptions for 748 yards, as a rookie. Why hold it against him that he can do what other backs can't?

Heck, Nick Goings and "He Hate Me" could pound the rock inside for 3 yards and a cloud of dust. Wowzers. But very few can line up behind a fullback, in a two-back set, in a one-back set, out wide, or in the slot, and do it all with his sub-4.4 speed on the field, vision/awareness, and hands.