Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

View Poll Results: Which of these 2nd year RBs will have the most rushing yards?
Maurice Drew-Jones 14 15.73%
Reggie Bush 12 13.48%
Laurence Maroney 51 57.30%
Deangelo Williams 7 7.87%
Jerious Norwood 5 5.62%
Voters: 89. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-06-2007, 10:34 AM    (permalink
remix 6
Pro Bowler

remix 6 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iloxygenil View Post
Yeah see, that's what I think too, I have been getting blasted for a year because I don't think Reggie will ever be a great PURE RB. He might be a wonderful weapon, but he's not got what I like to see in a RB. But oh well, what are you going to do? He's a hype baby and yeah, I saw his Punt return, yeah I saw his reception, I LOVE LOVE LOVE seeing him in the backfield against Atlanta, because I know we aren't going to give up a run, and I know we have Demorrio Williams on the field who can run with him. (I know I'll get blasted for that, but anyone who can run stride for stride with Jerious Norwood for 50 yards before he pulls away, they can run with Reggie Bush) But I just love it, I know he's going to dance around, and I know he's not Barry Sanders so I'm not worried about him breaking one and taking it the distance.
i cant wait till Reggie drops 3 TDs against Falcons. :\
remix 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 10:47 AM    (permalink
BamaFalcon59
All-NFLDC

BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo View Post

Norwood is easily the best back on the Falcons roster, Dunn's legs aren't what they once were unfortunately, but it's unconceivable to say he'll do better than the rest. One could also wonder how well his slashing style will fit with a more power running-geared offense.
Unconcievable? Why is that? He is a better runner than Reggie Bush and up there with the rest of them. I would say Maroney is a better pure runner, but he is on par with DeAngelo Williams and Addai as far as running capabilities. True, he would be better in a zone blocking scheme and I doubt we see his gaudy 6.4 yard per carry average again, but he should do fine.
BamaFalcon59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 10:48 AM    (permalink
BamaFalcon59
All-NFLDC

BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiver View Post
In order based solely on rushing proficiency:

1. Laurence Maroney
2. Joseph Addai
3. DeAngelo Williams
4. Maurice Jones-Drew
5. Jerious Norwood
6. Reggie Bush
I would agree, with 3-5 being very close in rushing yardage. I expect all three to hover right around the 1,000 yard mark.
Old 07-06-2007, 10:51 AM    (permalink
BamaFalcon59
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo View Post
If we're just limiting this to rushing yards (which isn't the ideal imo, but let's go on):

Jerious Norwood 99-633-2
Reggie Bush 154-558-6
DeAngelo Williams 121-501-1

Bush certainly wasn't the least productive rusher of the backs mentioned, the touchdowns more than eclipse the yards per carry average if you want to nit-pick.

Personally, I love Bush. What a spectacular talent. I really think we're looking at one of the next great backs in him, there are guys who are bigger and badder but it's the combination of playmaking ability and innate desire to succeed that the special ones have. I see that in Bush.
We are talking strictly rushing yards, not touchdowns. And we almost never used Norwood on the goalline, not only that but our whole offense had redzone problems last year. Norwood's only touchdowns last year came from over 65 yards.

Oh, and Norwood has better straight line speed than Bush. Bush has better agility, but Norwood has better speed.
Old 07-06-2007, 11:14 AM    (permalink
BamaFalcon59
All-NFLDC

JMO-

1. Laurence Maroney, RB New England Patriots
(15) 280/ 1,232/ 4.4/ 12 rushing TD

2. Joseph Addai, RB Indianapolis Colts
(13) 255/ 1,147/ 4.5/ 9 rushing touchdowns

3a. DeAngelo Williams, RB Carolina Panthers
(16) 256/ 1,101/ 4.3/ 5 rushing touchdowns

3b. Jerious Norwood, RB Atlanta Falcons
(14) 210/ 1,029/ 4.9/ 6 rushing touchdowns
http://youtube.com/watch?v=kwbA4c2vdvg

3c. Maurice Jones Drew, RB Jacksonville Jaguars
(16) 208/ 1,040/ 5.0/ 9 rushing touchdowns
http://youtube.com/watch?v=3Z3g5lLEqgA

6. Reggie Bush, RB New Orleans Saints
(15) 165/ 743/ 4.5/ 5 rushing touchdowns
http://youtube.com/watch?v=iRLtoiCRlQ8
http://youtube.com/watch?v=U12Ndr-j9UQ

Last edited by BamaFalcon59 : 07-06-2007 at 11:18 AM.
Old 07-06-2007, 11:18 AM    (permalink
Ewing
Pro Bowler

Ewing is a cocksman.Ewing is a cocksman.Ewing is a cocksman.Ewing is a cocksman.

I see Maroney having the most rushing yards but Bush having the most total yards.
Ewing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 01:44 PM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

By the way; it should be noted that neither I or Oxy were high on Bush prior to the draft, let alone this year. I was one of the few posters who was adamant that picking Reggie Bush, for the Texans, would have been a mistake. If he could only put up pedestrian rushing numbers in the Saints offense, he would have been abysmal in the Texans' offense. As for Oxy, he's been on the Reggie Bush "hater" bandwagon since the run up to the '06 draft. So this has nothing to do with the fact that he is on the Saints, or revisionist history based on his mediocre rookie season.

Shiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 01:50 PM    (permalink
Moses
All-NFLDC

Moses could make a wolverine purr.Moses could make a wolverine purr.Moses could make a wolverine purr.Moses could make a wolverine purr.Moses could make a wolverine purr.Moses could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
By the way; it should be noted that neither I or Oxy were high on Bush prior to the draft, let alone this year. I was one of the few posters who was adamant that picking Reggie Bush, for the Texans, would have been a mistake. If he could only put up pedestrian rushing numbers in the Saints offense, he would have been abysmal in the Texans' offense. As for Oxy, he's been on the Reggie Bush "hater" bandwagon since the run up to the '06 draft. So this has nothing to do with the fact that he is on the Saints, or revisionist history based on his mediocre rookie season.
Mediocre rookie season? He had like 1300+ yards from scrimmage didn't he? In a high-powered offence with tons of weapons. He was outstanding and will only get better. Plus, he's playing behind a great RB in McAllister.
Moses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 01:52 PM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moses View Post
Mediocre rookie season? He had like 1300+ yards from scrimmage didn't he? In a high-powered offence with tons of weapons. He was outstanding and will only get better. Plus, he's playing behind a great RB in McAllister.

As an anointed 'once in a generation athlete' he shouldn't be out-classed by a 5'7", 2nd rounder, like he was. It was decidedly mediocre for what he was hyped to be; i.e the next Gale Sayers, Marshall Faulk, Barry Sanders.

Last edited by Shiver : 07-06-2007 at 01:59 PM.
Old 07-06-2007, 01:52 PM    (permalink
BamaFalcon59
All-NFLDC

Quote:
By the way; it should be noted that neither I or Oxy were high on Bush prior to the draft. I was one of the few posters who was adamant that picking Reggie Bush, for the Texans, would have been a mistake. If he could only put up pedestrian rushing numbers in the Saints offense, he would have been abysmal in the Texans' offense. As for Oxy, he's been on the Reggie Bush "hater" bandwagon since the run up to the '06 draft. So this has nothing to do with the fact that he is on the Saints, or revisionist history based on his mediocre rookie season.
Ditto here. My favorite backs (for the Falcons) were (in order) Laurence Maroney, Joseph Addai, DeAngelo Williams Maurice Jones Drew, and then Reggie Bush. Maroney and Addai were my top two, easily. Hell, I didn't know a thing about Jerious Norwood prior to the draft (it was my first year following it). Funny that the top two backs (seemingly) for next year were my top choices.

I said almost immediately I would take Mario WIlliams due to their horrible defense, both pass and rush. I said Reggie Bush was, and still believe, a more explosive Brian Westbrook.

I liked Maroney because of his great blend of power and athleticism, and he fit our zone blocking scheme great. Was easily my favorite runner, followed by DeAngelo Williams.

I loved Addai, especially as we got closer to the draft. I wanted to trade up to the top of round 2 or bottum of round one to grab him. Loved the versatility and blend of skills. Good size (5'11/ 215), speed (4.45?), and great blocking and recieving skills for a young back. Loved the pick of him by Indianapolis.

They, and Tamba Hali and Jimmy Williams, were the only things that gave me second thoughts on the Abraham trade. I now regret it a lot, giving that much for a injury prone DE near 30.

Last edited by BamaFalcon59 : 07-06-2007 at 01:59 PM.
Old 07-06-2007, 02:00 PM    (permalink
BamaFalcon59
All-NFLDC

Quote:
As an anointed 'once in a generation athlete' he shouldn't be out-performed by a 5'7", 2nd rounder, like he was. It was decidedly mediocre for what he was hyped to be; i.e the next Gale Sayers, Marshall Faulk, Barry Sanders.
Yeah, but he is a 5'7, 220 pound 2nd rounder who ran a late 4.3. Beasty.
Old 07-06-2007, 03:40 PM    (permalink
eacantdraft
Pro Bowler

eacantdraft smells like sex panther.

I say Maurice Drew-Jones Smith. His team has issues at QB, but has a very good defense so he will see the ball alot.
eacantdraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 03:50 PM    (permalink
San Diego Chicken
Pro Bowler

San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Bush's upside is easily the highest out of all the backs in that draft. When he becomes the primary back in the offense, look out. It took him a while to adjust, learning lots of different positions in a complicated playbook, but by the end of the season and playoffs teams were not really stopping him. The Saints offensive line isn't the greatest run blocking unit either.
Old 07-06-2007, 03:52 PM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by San Diego Chicken View Post
Bush's upside is easily the highest out of all the backs in that draft. When he becomes the primary back in the offense, look out. It took him a while to adjust, learning lots of different positions in a complicated playbook, but by the end of the season and playoffs teams were not really stopping him.
As a receiver, no he was awesome at the end of the year. He only had one good rushing performance all year, though. Against the Giants. In fact, it accounts for more than 1/5 of his TOTAL rushing production.

Quote:
The Saints offensive line isn't the greatest run blocking unit either.
That didn't hurt Deuce McAllister, unless you're inferring that they decided to block for Deuce and not for Reggie.

Last edited by Shiver : 07-06-2007 at 04:17 PM.
Old 07-06-2007, 04:32 PM    (permalink
JagHombre22
Pro Bowler

JagHombre22 is a cocksman.JagHombre22 is a cocksman.JagHombre22 is a cocksman.JagHombre22 is a cocksman.

I love how no one is giving MJD any props...the guy finished second in the rookie of the year voting...only to the over-hyped mike vick duplicate, vince young...

Maurice Jones-Drew finished with a hair under 1000 yards rushing, while splitting time...he had 13 touchdowns...I say again, while splitting time...with Fred Taylor getting older and MJD's production and carries increasing as the season goes on...the guy could literally end up with 1300+ yards, and 15+ TD's...
JagHombre22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 04:42 PM    (permalink
Go_Eagles77
All-Pro

Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Go_Eagles77 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Out of this list I'd say Maroney, he's the only one taking the bulk of the carries. I would've voted Addai though
Old 07-06-2007, 04:53 PM    (permalink
BamaFalcon59
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by JagHombre22 View Post
I love how no one is giving MJD any props...the guy finished second in the rookie of the year voting...only to the over-hyped mike vick duplicate, vince young...

Maurice Jones-Drew finished with a hair under 1000 yards rushing, while splitting time...he had 13 touchdowns...I say again, while splitting time...with Fred Taylor getting older and MJD's production and carries increasing as the season goes on...the guy could literally end up with 1300+ yards, and 15+ TD's...
I think he does that in year 3 or 4. Very good player, though. Should have won rookie of the year.

Although the Vick/ Young comparison is horrible. Fast and black. That's it.
Old 07-06-2007, 05:19 PM    (permalink
JT Jag
Pro Bowler

JT Jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JT Jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JT Jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JT Jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JT Jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JT Jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JT Jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JT Jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JT Jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JT Jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JT Jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

1. Laurence Maroney
2. Joseph Addai (These two are the only ones not splitting carries)
3. Jerious Norwood (The only other besides Williams who might not split carries)
4. Maurice Jones-Drew (If you don't count his first two games in which he essentially didn't play, then he would have gone for 185 attempts for 1062 yards and 15 rushing touchdowns in 16 games, based on the average of his last 14 games. That's about the pace the Jaguars will play him this year--- maybe even more then that, because that's just 11 carries a game)
5. DeAngelo Williams (Could go higher, depending on when--- and it is when--- Foster gets hurt.)
6. Reggie Bush (He's an X-factor, not a rusher.)
JT Jag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 05:25 PM    (permalink
Sniper
Legend

Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JagHombre22 View Post

Uh didn't Maroney, Addai, Bush, Williams and Norwood all split time as well? If you're gonna make an argument make sure you can't make it for all the other players in this category.
Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 05:26 PM    (permalink
Sniper
Legend

Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT Jag View Post
6. Reggie Bush (He's an X-factor, not a rusher.)
Yes, but my God, what an X-factor.
Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2007, 06:25 PM    (permalink
San Diego Chicken
Pro Bowler

San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
As a receiver, no he was awesome at the end of the year. He only had one good rushing performance all year, though. Against the Giants. In fact, it accounts for more than 1/5 of his TOTAL rushing production.

That didn't hurt Deuce McAllister, unless you're inferring that they decided to block for Deuce and not for Reggie.
Deuce hit for 4.3 yards per carry, right at his career average. The Saints as a team, 3.7, which was 26th in the NFL. It may not have hurt him but it didn't help him really. They had three new starters (including a rookie) if I remember correctly, and offensive lines are often predicated on continuity.

I don't think Bush can be judged as a running back until he becomes the primary. As he is presently used, you won't get much rushing production out of 9 carries per game and its foolish to expect it. Can't get into much of a rhythm like that.
Old 07-07-2007, 03:08 PM    (permalink
JagHombre22
Pro Bowler

JagHombre22 is a cocksman.JagHombre22 is a cocksman.JagHombre22 is a cocksman.JagHombre22 is a cocksman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNIPER26 View Post
Uh didn't Maroney, Addai, Bush, Williams and Norwood all split time as well? If you're gonna make an argument make sure you can't make it for all the other players in this category.

yes, but none of them had the impact that Maurice Jones-Drew had...I was merely making the statement in reference to what he may be able to do when he doesn't have to split time...
JagHombre22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 05:12 PM    (permalink
Geo
Neo Geo (Moderator)
Icon

Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The sound of the homer alert is deafening.
Old 07-07-2007, 05:20 PM    (permalink
Flyboy
All-Pro

Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The Saints' offensive line isn't that great at run blocking -- but still solid.
The whole world loves neophyte athletic tight end Jimmy Graham from Miami with the 95th pick. "Best pick in the draft,'' one AFC coach told me. "Give him time, and in that offense, he'll be better than [Jeremy] Shockey by the start of next year.''

“We know that no matter the adversity, be it the lockout, be it the suspension or be it a hurricane, our men will pull together and defend the honor of this city. We’ve shown we’ve been able to do that.” - Jabari Greer
Flyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2007, 05:26 PM    (permalink
ChampBailey24

It's between Addai or Maroney, obviously. Unless Taylor gets hurt (wouldn't be a huge surprise), then Jones-Drew could be in there, too...

I'm going to go with Addai, though. The Indy offense is better than what I see the Pats offense being, and that's why I give him the edge.