Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > The Locker Room > Off Topic

Off Topic Almost Anything Goes

Old 07-29-2007, 07:52 PM    (permalink
jackalope
Pro Bowler

jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Really enjoyed the last book, although as I was reading it I realized I forgot a lot from the previous books.

EDIT: I had also heard going into book 7 that one of the big 3 was definitely going to die, so it had a happier ending than I expected.

Sig thanks to mockalicious

Last edited by jackalope : 07-29-2007 at 07:54 PM.
jackalope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 09:33 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

True of False -

The most shocking and odd moment was when Harry blew up his owl.

It definitely made me go, WTF?
Old 07-29-2007, 09:36 PM    (permalink
Beans
DC GFX Team
All-Pro

Beans is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Beans is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Beans is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Beans is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Beans is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Beans is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Beans is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Beans is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Beans is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Beans is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Beans is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiomera View Post
True of False -

yeah that was a bit odd

bonekrusher on the sig magic
Quote:
<beans> libid dont worry man i think fondling big black men is a perfectly worthy career goal
<JBond> laughing so hard I am crying
Beans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 02:02 AM    (permalink
DHVF
All-NFLDC

DHVF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DHVF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DHVF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DHVF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DHVF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DHVF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DHVF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DHVF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DHVF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DHVF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DHVF is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
True of False -

I know I cried. Hedwig was a beast and in no way did he deserve to die..so uncalled for.

DHVF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 09:28 AM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by diehardvikingsfan View Post
I know I cried. Hedwig was a beast and in no way did he deserve to die..so uncalled for.
I was hoping we'd finally get to see the long anticipated showdown between Hedwig and Voldemort. That poor bird always had to listen to Harry's stories about his hear-death experiences, and how Voldemort is so hard to beat . . . Hedwig could have at least scrated the bastards eyes out! Tell me that wouldn't have given Harry a leg up on defeating Voldemort . . . AVADA KEDAVRA's flying every where cause he can't see . . . it was a fumbled plot point if you ask me.
Old 07-30-2007, 12:56 PM    (permalink
Veteran

255979119 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyHall#1 View Post
Dumb question here... how exactly did Voldy die? Why did his killing curse rebound? BEcause it was really Harry's wand or because Harry used Expelliarmus?
The Elder wand will not harm its own master.
255979119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 03:53 PM    (permalink
keylime_5
All-NFLDC

keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

finished it today. Loved the ending, especially the epilogue. She's a great writer.
Old 07-30-2007, 09:43 PM    (permalink
Boston
All-Pro

Boston is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Boston is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Boston is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Boston is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Boston is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Boston is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Boston is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Boston is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Boston is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Boston is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Boston is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by keylime_5 View Post
finished it today. Loved the ending, especially the epilogue. She's a great writer.
How did you like the epilouge? It was so corny it really wasn't worth the time it took to write.

Hitman D

"The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation." - Henry David Thoreau
Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 09:53 PM    (permalink
comahan
Pillow Hat Pal
All-NFLDC

comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston View Post
How did you like the epilouge? It was so corny it really wasn't worth the time it took to write.
It wasnt bad. It was essentially the exact same thing as book 1. It ended where it started. The same style and feel to it when Harry was boarding the train for the first time as when his kids did it.

It simply seemed out of place following such a dark book.

Video Games - Anime - Comics - Cosplay - etc

A site dedicated to giving support and exposure to female
geeks and gamers, while also providing a community for
people of all genders to hang out and discuss their
favorite nerd past-times without needing to worry about or
deal with the prejudice and mistreatment that's so common online.

comahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 09:55 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Yeah, I found the Epilogue to be kinda lame. The series was amazing, and I had hoped for a better sign-off.
Old 07-30-2007, 09:57 PM    (permalink
Philliez01
All-Pro

Philliez01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Philliez01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Philliez01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Philliez01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Philliez01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Philliez01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Philliez01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Philliez01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Philliez01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Philliez01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Philliez01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by comahan View Post
It wasnt bad. It was essentially the exact same thing as book 1. It ended where it started. The same style and feel to it when Harry was boarding the train for the first time as when his kids did it.

Yeah, I agree. It was rather sad to me though still as I know there are no more Hogwarts adventures going on ever. I am going to read all the books in order again but there was such a feeling of formality to.

Did anyone think that parts of the book seemed..rushed? Like in one paragraph they mention how they were preparing to infilitrate the Ministry after the Lupin debacle.

Kinda noticed how Moony, Wormtail, Prongs and Padfoot are all dead. Sad about Dobby and Hedwig, the flight was a good way to begin the book.

Give JKPIGSKIN credit for this masterpiece
Philliez01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 09:59 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Quote:
Did anyone think that parts of the book seemed..rushed? Like in one paragraph they mention how they were preparing to infilitrate the Ministry after the Lupin debacle.
Yes. This book had some weird pacing issues, IMO. Much of the middle of the book could have been condensed, and there were more scenes that really should have been expanded.

I would have liked to see Harry go into his house in Godric's Hollow for one.
Old 07-30-2007, 10:01 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

I also wish Wormtails death was a little more, shall we say, exciting . . .

After hardly making an appearance since the end of book 4, I would have liked to see him actually play a role of some sort. Or at least have one last conversation with Harry.
Old 07-30-2007, 10:07 PM    (permalink
comahan
Pillow Hat Pal
All-NFLDC

comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I also wish Wormtails death was a little more, shall we say, exciting . . .

After hardly making an appearance since the end of book 4, I would have liked to see him actually play a role of some sort. Or at least have one last conversation with Harry.
Something i completely looked over I guess, that I was reminded of today, were Voldemorts words of "may your allegiance never waiver" or something like that, as he gave wormtail his new hand. I was wondering why his hand choked himself.

Anyway, yea. While I was reading that, it kinda came from nowhere, and was then never mentioned again. Oh well.

His small appearance did play a role though, with the remorse Dumbledore said he would show, and his debt was repayed, allowing Harry and co. to escape Malfoy manor while Voldy was coming.

Video Games - Anime - Comics - Cosplay - etc

A site dedicated to giving support and exposure to female
geeks and gamers, while also providing a community for
people of all genders to hang out and discuss their
favorite nerd past-times without needing to worry about or
deal with the prejudice and mistreatment that's so common online.

comahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 10:08 PM    (permalink
Boston
All-Pro

Boston is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Boston is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Boston is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Boston is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Boston is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Boston is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Boston is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Boston is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Boston is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Boston is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Boston is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

It seemed forced. It didn't really even come close to doing the book justice. The "Albus Severus" part had me shaking my head.

Hitman D

"The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation." - Henry David Thoreau
Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 10:29 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Quote:
Something i completely looked over I guess, that I was reminded of today, were Voldemorts words of "may your allegiance never waiver" or something like that, as he gave wormtail his new hand. I was wondering why his hand choked himself.

Anyway, yea. While I was reading that, it kinda came from nowhere, and was then never mentioned again. Oh well.

His small appearance did play a role though, with the remorse Dumbledore said he would show, and his debt was repayed, allowing Harry and co. to escape Malfoy manor while Voldy was coming.
When I think about re-paying a life debt, I would have expected something a little more heroic, or even more significant that momentarily hesitating. It's not like he died in sacrifice or something.
Old 07-31-2007, 02:03 AM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC

thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Wormtail was a coward...I would expect nothing heroic from him...he wasn't that type of character. He technically did sacrifice himself since he was sent to make sure everything was ok...by sacrificing himself he basically made the book happen.

Designs by me
Quote:
[00:37] <toonster> i mean, i can talk dirty
thule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 09:31 AM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by thule View Post
Wormtail was a coward...I would expect nothing heroic from him...he wasn't that type of character. He technically did sacrifice himself since he was sent to make sure everything was ok...by sacrificing himself he basically made the book happen.
OK, maybe heroic was the wrong word to use, but my point remains . . . I feel like his death was, shall we say, a lot less interesting than it ought have been.
Old 07-31-2007, 09:56 AM    (permalink
keylime_5
All-NFLDC

keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Keep in mind that Harry Potter is basically a kid's book written in about a 6th grade reading level. She didn't put too much in the epilogue which was good, left a lot to the readers imagination of what they thought happened to the other minor characters. I like how Harry acknowledged Snape as possibly the bravest man he ever knew, how Ginny/Harry and Ron/Hermione got marreid; how it mentions Neville as herbology professor, and how Draco was no longer Harry's sworn enemy. It was great that they were at the train station with his kids, kinda right back where they started, and that the book ends, "all was well." Like JK said, it was a perfect way to end the series IMO. If you want more stuff on what happened to everyone else you can always wait for her to release an encyclopedia. (or you could read her responses to questions about other characters in news interviews, etc. I know she said Ron and Harry are both aurors and Hermione is high in some ministry dept.)
Old 07-31-2007, 10:29 AM    (permalink
Philliez01
All-Pro

Philliez01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Philliez01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Philliez01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Philliez01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Philliez01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Philliez01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Philliez01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Philliez01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Philliez01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Philliez01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Philliez01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Keep in mind that Harry Potter is basically a kid's book written in about a 6th grade reading level. She didn't put too much in the epilogue which was good, left a lot to the readers imagination of what they thought happened to the other minor characters. I like how Harry acknowledged Snape as possibly the bravest man he ever knew, how Ginny/Harry and Ron/Hermione got marreid; how it mentions Neville as herbology professor, and how Draco was no longer Harry's sworn enemy. It was great that they were at the train station with his kids, kinda right back where they started, and that the book ends, "all was well." Like JK said, it was a perfect way to end the series IMO. If you want more stuff on what happened to everyone else you can always wait for her to release an encyclopedia. (or you could read her responses to questions about other characters in news interviews, etc. I know she said Ron and Harry are both aurors and Hermione is high in some ministry dept.)
Sorcerer's Stone, Chamber of Secrets and Prisoner of Azkaban were all for "little kids" so to speak but as soon as GoF came out; I felt that the reading level dramatically improved. Like Damix said earlier, I wouldn't be shocked if DH may push an R rating.

The ending of a book just seemed, eh. The greatest Dark Wizard (maybe even greatest wizard) in Lord Voldemort died in a lame way, in my opinion. I wish there was just more dialogue between "Tom" and Harry. Like they could've made it similiar to the epic one in GoF. I mean the whole series lead up to Voldemort Vs. Harry's final battle and the whole DH part was interesting but the battle was just not my expectation.

It just seemed rushed. The book was great, yes, but so many characters just seemed "lumped in". Oliver Wood, Umbridge, then the Chamber of Secrets just made cameos. The Wedding was rather cool, though the cafe part did have me scratching my head.

Also the perfect real ending, would've been seeing the Daily Prophet the next day after Voldemort's death. You really didn't get the sense of happiness that the wizarding world had 17 or so years earlier. I was expecting mass euphoria, but it didn't show up.

Whatever happened to the Weasleys Owl, Errol?

Give JKPIGSKIN credit for this masterpiece
Philliez01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2007, 11:05 AM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Quote:
Sorry, but I don't see too many 6th graders keeping up with that crazy complex ending of Deathly Hallows. It all came down to some strange wizarding world technicalities regarding wand ownership, life, death, and such.

The series quickly evolved into much more than a childrens series once we reached the 4th book.
Old 07-31-2007, 06:02 PM    (permalink
keylime_5
All-NFLDC

Okay, to say that Deathly Hallows might push an R rating is ********. The vast majority of fans to the Harry Potter films are between ages 10 and 16, so I think that it is more likely to be rated G than R. (neither of which will happen). HP 4 and 5 were barely pg13, almost PG. I HP7 ends up rated R I will sell any one of you my house and all my posessions.

Anyways, I can't wait for that film to come out, very intersted to see how they handle the Battle of Hogwarts on the silver screen. The first 5 filims got better and better with ever new movie release (Though I wish that the hair style and color of Michael Gambon's Dumbledore were more like Richard Harris' character...nothing at all like I imagine him in the books)
Old 07-31-2007, 06:43 PM    (permalink
doingthisinsteadofwork
All-Pro

doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.

I dont care much about the films anymore.they miss to much detail.no where near as good as the books.
Old 07-31-2007, 07:43 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by doingthisinsteadofwork View Post
I dont care much about the films anymore.they miss to much detail.no where near as good as the books.
Yeah, it's clear the films now function solely as a money making opportunity now. The details and finer points of the books are only a means of getting from one super-CGI action sequence to another, with the occasional incredibly overhyped kissing/romance scene for all the 13 year old girls out there.
Old 07-31-2007, 09:41 PM    (permalink
jackalope
Pro Bowler

jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jackalope is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I had heard going into book 7 that one of the big 3 was definitely going to die. Was this just a rumor?

Sig thanks to mockalicious
jackalope is offline   Reply With Quote