Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > College Football

College Football Discuss College Football

Old 07-14-2007, 02:14 AM    (permalink
kwilk103
Pro Bowler

kwilk103 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kwilk103 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kwilk103 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kwilk103 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kwilk103 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kwilk103 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kwilk103 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kwilk103 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kwilk103 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kwilk103 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kwilk103 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tampa 2 4 life View Post
Louisville and Rutgers will both copy the same defense USF used to shutdown your running game.

You will lose one of the aforementioned games With USF getting about a 50% shot of beating you again depending on how quick the new starters at OLB are.

WVU - 10-2

again, pat white was injured and that was the same week as rod going to alabama--he took 100% of the blame for the loss--said he was thinking about alabama and his play calling sucked

white had an injured ankle the whole game and missed the game next week vs rugters

the only game we could lose is usf; ul always loses a tough road game, and we wont lose to rugters; they had their best team last year, and we beat them with our back-up rsfreshman qb; theyve never seen pat white

and when we went 3-8 in rods first year, one of our worst teams ever, we beat rugters 80-7; we dont lose to rugters

ul and rugters dont have the defensive speed to stop devine, white, slaton; usf is the only team that could beat us

ul wont cuz they arent a good road team, have a new coach, like 7 new starters on d, and are coming to morgantown on a thursday night game; we hardly ever lose night games
kwilk103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 03:26 PM    (permalink
TigerBait45
Veteran

TigerBait45 is a cocksman.TigerBait45 is a cocksman.TigerBait45 is a cocksman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbeans187 View Post
I dont think they need one, the ground game is syk
It may be, but if you can't stop anyone you're gonna get outscored. Thats the problem with a team that doesn't really throw the ball around. You eventually run out of time because running eats clock. Louisiville could give up 50 points, but with that offense they could score 60 on WVU's d.
TigerBait45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 05:41 PM    (permalink
cardsalltheway
Veteran

cardsalltheway is a cocksman.cardsalltheway is a cocksman.cardsalltheway is a cocksman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowatreat54 View Post
homecoming usually isn't your first home game...in case that's what you're getting at...
No, I was getting at the fact that you're supposed to have a road game before homecoming, since you're not really "coming home" if you play a home game before.

Designs by D-Unit

ILEMTPKC - I Love Eli Manning <The Patriots Killer> Club
cardsalltheway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 05:29 PM    (permalink
iowatreat54
Icon

iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardsalltheway View Post
No, I was getting at the fact that you're supposed to have a road game before homecoming, since you're not really "coming home" if you play a home game before.
ahhh yes good call...I didn't really even notice that at first
iowatreat54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2007, 06:15 PM    (permalink
GB12
Team Leader
Icon

GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

11-1

Lose to Michigan by 3 to 10 points. Beat Penn State in a fairly close game. Beat OSU by double digits.
Old 07-15-2007, 08:10 PM    (permalink
Sniper
Legend

Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbeans187 View Post
I dont think they need one, the ground game is syk
The Arkansas ground game is better. They still need a defense. The Clemson running game is about equal. They still need a defense. You can`t have one of the worst defenses in the country and expect to win a national title.
Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 03:41 AM    (permalink
jbeans187
Veteran

jbeans187 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.jbeans187 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNIPER26 View Post
The Arkansas ground game is better. They still need a defense. The Clemson running game is about equal. They still need a defense. You can`t have one of the worst defenses in the country and expect to win a national title.
I exagerated, i know they need a defense, they should improve, but the secondary is still questionable. WVU's ground game is better than Clemson's and a close second to Arkansas'

Leroy Smith - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koGD6XnAsNs
jbeans187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 05:13 AM    (permalink
kwilk103
Pro Bowler

kwilk103 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kwilk103 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kwilk103 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kwilk103 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kwilk103 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kwilk103 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kwilk103 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kwilk103 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kwilk103 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kwilk103 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.kwilk103 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Rank Name Games Carries Net Avg. TDs Ydspg
2 West Virginia 13 590 3939 6.68 48 303.00
4 Arkansas 14 539 3199 5.94 26 228.50
Old 07-16-2007, 06:18 AM    (permalink
Sniper
Legend

Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwilk103 View Post
Rank Name Games Carries Net Avg. TDs Ydspg
2 West Virginia 13 590 3939 6.68 48 303.00
4 Arkansas 14 539 3199 5.94 26 228.50
WVU Schedule: Marshall, Eastern Washington, Maryland, Eastern Carolina, Mississippi State, Syracuse, Connecticut, Louisville, Cincinnati, Pittsburgh, South Florida, Rutgers, Georgia Tech

Arkansas Schedule: USC, Utah State, Vanderbilt, Alabama, Auburn, SE Missouri State, Ole Miss, South Carolina, Tennessee, Mississippi State, LSU, Florida, Wisconsin

Looking at those two schedules, I`d have to say that while WVU may have better numbers inflated by playing a bunch of cupcakes and running 61 more times, I stand by my statement that the Arkansas rushing attack is better. I`m hardly what you would call an SEC fan, but anytime you have the two top rushers in the SEC I`m inclined to say that`s pretty decent.
Old 07-16-2007, 09:47 AM    (permalink
StaticGator
Rookie

StaticGator could make a wolverine purr.StaticGator could make a wolverine purr.StaticGator could make a wolverine purr.StaticGator could make a wolverine purr.StaticGator could make a wolverine purr.StaticGator could make a wolverine purr.StaticGator could make a wolverine purr.StaticGator could make a wolverine purr.

Arkansas clearly has a more legit ground game based on the level of defenses they play and the amount of NFL offensive linemen they produce.
StaticGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 03:17 PM    (permalink
kwilk103
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNIPER26 View Post
running 61 more times
then explain the almost 1 yd per carry more? shouldnt it be the other way around?

or how bout common opponents? uga '05 or miss st '06; wvu outrushed ark by a significant amount against both
Old 07-16-2007, 03:47 PM    (permalink
Sniper
Legend

Quote:
then explain the almost 1 yd per carry more? shouldnt it be the other way around?

or how bout common opponents? uga '05 or miss st '06; wvu outrushed ark by a significant amount against both
Miss.St yeah that`s a great measuring stick. Yes, I`m sorry but playing the SEC is much tougher than the Big Least and cupcakes like Marshall so a full yard isn`t hard to envision.
Old 07-16-2007, 04:44 PM    (permalink
TigerBait45
Veteran

Don't bother trying to debate with him. Hes blind.
Old 07-16-2007, 06:08 PM    (permalink
kwilk103
Pro Bowler

so, youd take the backfield of jones/mcfadden over white/slaton/devine?

as a college player slaton>mcfadden

as far as stats go slaton has him in every major one
Old 07-16-2007, 07:11 PM    (permalink
GB12
Team Leader
Icon

GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

Uh, no. Given a choice of who I'd rather have on my team I'm taking McFadden every time.
Old 07-16-2007, 07:16 PM    (permalink
OhioState
Veteran

OhioState hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.OhioState hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

The Ohio State University
Younstown St.- W Easiest game of all time
Akron- W another easy one
Washington- W we will be ready and will take them down
Northwestern- W easy again
Minnesota- W two touchdowns +
Purdue- W
Kent St.- W At the Shoe we dominate
Mich St.- W Homecoming we win easy
Penn St- W although i am worried about a night game at PSU i don't see us losing
Wisco- W/L our D will be amazing by now and will shut down hill and whatever else they can throw at us. I also think that Wells will prove himself one of the best by this time.
Illinois- W although they are getting better we will still destroy them
Mich- W/L At the Big House but i think that the D will be very strong but we will need to put up points.

Best Case 12-0 11-1
Worst Case- 10-2
Old 07-16-2007, 07:53 PM    (permalink
-black
Pro Bowler

-black is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.-black is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.-black is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.-black is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.-black is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.-black is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.-black is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.-black is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.-black is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.-black is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.-black is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yo123 View Post
For Florida State? Thats some wishful thinking. Best case scenario imo for you guys is about 8-4, maybe 7-5. You guys have a brutal schedule. You have to go to Florida, Wake Forest, Clemson, Virginia Tech, and Boston College.
and we will be favored in all of those road games except Tech and Florida

we have more talent than every team on there and except debatable ones (Tech and Florida)

now we have the offensive coaches to go along with the 5 star talent. I GURENTEE...I'd quit this board if we dont go at least 9-3

-sig by jkpigskin
-black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 08:09 PM    (permalink
TigerBait45
Veteran

Quote:

Are you kidding me? I'm taking Jones/McFadden over anyone. Felix Jones could be a feature back anywhere else and hes the second option at Arkansas. Stats don't mean everything. Slaton ran against several inferior defenses last year. McFadden ran for 250 yards against an LSU run defense that was one of the top 5 in the nation last year.

Devine hasn't even taken a college snap, either. Hes got a lot to prove.

You're being a homer. Is WVU's backfield great? Sure it is. Its one of the best in the nation, but they're not on the same level as McFadden/Felix Jones.
Old 07-17-2007, 08:17 AM    (permalink
StaticGator
Rookie

StaticGator could make a wolverine purr.StaticGator could make a wolverine purr.StaticGator could make a wolverine purr.StaticGator could make a wolverine purr.StaticGator could make a wolverine purr.StaticGator could make a wolverine purr.StaticGator could make a wolverine purr.StaticGator could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by -black View Post
and we will be favored in all of those road games except Tech and Florida

we have more talent than every team on there and except debatable ones (Tech and Florida)

now we have the offensive coaches to go along with the 5 star talent. I GURENTEE...I'd quit this board if we dont go at least 9-3
How is it even debatable Florida has doesn't have more talent?
Old 07-17-2007, 08:31 AM    (permalink
Sniper
Legend

Quote:

As a college player Slaton is not better than McFadden. McFadden finished second in Heisman voting last year, for one. In two seasons Slaton has a combined 3,327 yards and 37 touchdowns. McFadden has combined for 3,653 yards and 30 touchdowns. McFadden has also played in the toughest conference in college football. Devine hasn`t done anything to prove the hype, so he`s out the window. So yes, I will take McFadden and Jones over White and Slaton.

TigerBait, please tell me how I`m blind. Look at this argument and tell me how I`m blind.
Old 07-17-2007, 12:23 PM    (permalink
TigerBait45
Veteran

I didn't mean you =P.
Old 07-17-2007, 02:41 PM    (permalink
-black
Pro Bowler

-black is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.-black is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.-black is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.-black is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.-black is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.-black is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.-black is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.-black is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.-black is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.-black is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.-black is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StaticGator View Post
How is it even debatable Florida has doesn't have more talent?
lets debate shall we?

UF-1
FSU-21 (limited scholarships because of only around 6 seniors on the team)

UF-2
FSU-3

FSU-2
UF-15 (limited scholarships to offer)

FSU-3
UF-7

FSU-21
UF-2

FSU has averaged around a class rank of 12
UF has averaged around a class rank of 5

in 5 years, UF has out recruited FSU 3 times by Rivals....thats pretty close (especially considering that FSU twice has had limited scholarships to offer because of so few seniors)

FSU has EASILY produced more NFL players in that 5 year span. By recruiting rankings, you can say UF has better "star" rankings. By NFL standards, FSU has more talent (or better suited NFL talent). With your 2nd best team ever, and our worse under Bowden, we still barely lost.

If you truly think UF has alot more talent than FSU you are kidding yourself and borderline crazy. It has been the offensive coaching that has hindered the team....Now with capable coaches, coaching all of the 5 star talent (having featured number 1 QB's, RB's, WR's the past 5 years) the play on the field will improve.

Its debatable who has more talent between us and UF. ...if you want to go by roster than fine

UF wins for QB
FSU wins for RB (a 5 star, and 2 rivals 100 RB's and another 4 star)
I will give UF WR
UF wins for TE (since Brandon Warren left...but last year it was FSU)
OL win for UF

3 to 1 in favor of the Gators.....now lets get to the defensive units

DE win for UF
DT win for FSU
LB win for FSU
CB win for FSU
S win for FSU

5 to 4 in favor of FSU for unit rankings....you could expand OL and it would be either 7-5 or 6 up...but you get the picture, its very close

FSU is the only team in Phil Steeles (supposedly the most accurate magazine the past 8 years) to be a top 10 team in every unit category this season....

-sig by jkpigskin

Last edited by -black : 07-18-2007 at 07:13 AM.
Old 07-17-2007, 11:18 PM    (permalink
Sniper
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerBait45 View Post
I didn't mean you =P.
My apologies to you then.
Old 07-18-2007, 09:04 AM    (permalink
StaticGator
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by -black View Post
lets debate shall we?

UF-1
FSU-21 (limited scholarships because of only around 6 seniors on the team)

UF-2
FSU-3

FSU-2
UF-15 (limited scholarships to offer)

FSU-3
UF-7

FSU-21
UF-2

FSU has averaged around a class rank of 12
UF has averaged around a class rank of 5

in 5 years, UF has out recruited FSU 3 times by Rivals....thats pretty close (especially considering that FSU twice has had limited scholarships to offer because of so few seniors)

FSU has EASILY produced more NFL players in that 5 year span. By recruiting rankings, you can say UF has better "star" rankings. By NFL standards, FSU has more talent (or better suited NFL talent). With your 2nd best team ever, and our worse under Bowden, we still barely lost.

If you truly think UF has alot more talent than FSU you are kidding yourself and borderline crazy. It has been the offensive coaching that has hindered the team....Now with capable coaches, coaching all of the 5 star talent (having featured number 1 QB's, RB's, WR's the past 5 years) the play on the field will improve.

Its debatable who has more talent between us and UF. ...if you want to go by roster than fine

UF wins for QB
FSU wins for RB (a 5 star, and 2 rivals 100 RB's and another 4 star)
I will give UF WR
UF wins for TE (since Brandon Warren left...but last year it was FSU)
OL win for UF

3 to 1 in favor of the Gators.....now lets get to the defensive units

DE win for UF
DT win for FSU
LB win for FSU
CB win for FSU
S win for FSU

5 to 4 in favor of FSU for unit rankings....you could expand OL and it would be either 7-5 or 6 up...but you get the picture, its very close

FSU is the only team in Phil Steeles (supposedly the most accurate magazine the past 8 years) to be a top 10 team in every unit category this season....
a.) Three in a row. Should be four if not for one of the worst officiated games in history. Will be four this season. And if you think last years game was close, Meyer clearly put the offense on cruise control when he relaized his defense wasn't going to be challenged and started getting ready for the SEC Championship game.

b.) Record last three years: UF: 29-9 (1 home loss), FSU: 24-14 (6 home losses). One team is on the upswing, one team is going the other way.

c.) I assume you're looking at Rivals' rankings and they are known shills for FSU. For example Scout has FSU's 2006 class ranked #12 while Rivals had it #3. On field record would tend to favor Scout.

d.) These rankings are from the first week of February and don't account for all the non-qualifiers Bowden has signed at the end of the period the last few years. Callahan Bright was a 5 star DT from 2006 who has taken as many classes in Tallahassee as I have. He's far from the only one. Then you have guys like Fred Rouse. So recruiting rankings don't mean what you say when evaluating on the field product.

e.) As for the unit breakdowns, UF lost 9 starters on defense so it's easy to give the leg up to FSU right now, but by the end of the season you don't think guys like Brandon Spikes, Jacques Rickerson, Brandon Antwine, Dustin Doe, AJ Jones, Terron Sanders, Markihe Anderson, and Wondy Pierre-Louis will make it interesting? And there's a decent chance Jon Demps will be back.
Old 07-18-2007, 11:13 AM    (permalink
-black
Pro Bowler

Quote:
One team is on the upswing, one team is going the other way.
the biggest point you seem to be overlooking

the EXACT YEAR JEFF BOWDEN TOOK OVER, OUR OFFENSE WENT ON DECLINE.

we have recruited the same caliber offensive talent, and NOW we have the coaches to coach them...talent wise, this team is no less talented than the 2000 squad (except maybe for OL)...

our cancer is gone, not only Jeff, but Dicky and McHale. We have a top notch coaching staff FINNALLY. I think you are forgetting what a coaching change can do to your team (replacing Zook with Meyer). No one questioned your talent when you were 8-5. (and we had beatin u 3 of 4) We knew it was bad coaching. Meyer won with Zooks recruits (who were medicore on the field) and Jimbo and Tricket will do the same with our players.

and who cares how many players UF lost. FSU lost alot more quality the past 2 years on defense, and this year their defense will be much better than UF's undersized squad. Like I said, its debeteable. UF does NOT clearly have more talent than FSU....and it will show on the field this year

-sig by jkpigskin

Last edited by -black : 07-18-2007 at 11:38 AM.