Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 07-10-2007, 07:40 PM    (permalink
TheChampIsHere
Veteran

TheChampIsHere hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitleTown088 View Post
I can't say I agree with this at all. The Raiders are in the middle of rebuilding and they already had a solid safety play. Why waste the money on a guy who might not be around when the Raiders will have improved significantly enough to make some real noise around the league?
well its not much money and its a short term deal...I dont think we needed him but if the Raiders believe he can help us this year, it makes sense, it wont hurt our long term plans. As far as money concerns, we need to sign Asomugha and Burgess to extensions but I dont see us going after high profile FAs of any sort in the near future. And I dont think the Darius signing will get in the way of resigning those guys.
TheChampIsHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 08:04 PM    (permalink
CC.SD
Shock Therapist
All-NFLDC

CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CC.SD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Hellooooo this is because LT destroys them every year. "None of the #1 pass defense in the NFL" can do a thing about that.
CC.SD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 08:07 PM    (permalink
Komp
Veteran

Komp is so money.Komp is so money.Komp is so money.Komp is so money.Komp is so money.Komp is so money.Komp is so money.Komp is so money.Komp is so money.Komp is so money.Komp is so money.
Default hmmm

Sapp/Burgess are great leaders on defense but I don't think they are going to help the secondary progress all that much. I personally think this is a great signing. We don't need Darius from a talent standpoint, but I think the intangibles he brings and his ability to stop the run will help us a ton this year. I don't think you can deny that he will have a positive impact on all the young players in our secondary, both on and off the field.

Sig by fenikz! Cheers!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
Mr. Dukes comes from the Michael Irvin "talk loud and maybe people will think I know what I am talking about" school of football analysis.
Komp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 09:08 PM    (permalink
The Great Jonathan Vilma
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerb929 View Post
I wonder what kind of deal Darius got, anyone know?
3 year $7 million

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2931931

Courtesy of Fenikz - Much Appreciated

Quote:
Originally Posted by dRaFtDoRk View Post
You can't be a good corner if no one throws your way. Thats my way of seeing it.
The Great Jonathan Vilma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 09:59 PM    (permalink
Vikes99ej
Icon

Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Stuart Schweigert: future Vikings' starter.
Vikes99ej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 10:00 PM    (permalink
art vandelay
Team Leader
All-Pro

art vandelay wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.art vandelay wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.art vandelay wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.art vandelay wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.art vandelay wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.art vandelay wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.art vandelay wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.art vandelay wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.art vandelay wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.art vandelay wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.art vandelay wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.

I guess the Panthers may not have signed him.
art vandelay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 10:02 PM    (permalink
PACKmanN
All-Pro

PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Jonathan Vilma View Post
can anyone say steal! 2.3 million a season.
Old 07-10-2007, 10:12 PM    (permalink
bernbabybern820
Pro Bowler

bernbabybern820 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bernbabybern820 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bernbabybern820 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bernbabybern820 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bernbabybern820 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bernbabybern820 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bernbabybern820 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bernbabybern820 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bernbabybern820 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bernbabybern820 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bernbabybern820 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I can't say I agree with this at all. The Raiders are in the middle of rebuilding and they already had a solid safety play. Why waste the money on a guy who might not be around when the Raiders will have improved significantly enough to make some real noise around the league?
Pssshhh rebuilding? Mr. Davis doesn't have that in his vocabulary.

sig by jagfan33
Peyton Manning Fanboy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Complex View Post
They said I couldn't be a high school QB. They said I couldn't get a D1 scholarship. BeerBaron said I couldn't beat the Bears. - Tebow

Proving the doubters wrong.
bernbabybern820 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 11:35 PM    (permalink
PalmerToCJ
Team Leader
All-Pro

PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIN1984 View Post
Schweigert was apart of the #1 Pass D in the NFL and no he doesn't suck. is he a pro bowl type player? no, but he doesn't suck.
You have to keep in mind that part of the reason you all had the #1 pass D was because when you're trailing all year you aren't going to get passed on very often. They were 18th best in completion percentage and dead last in attempts per game against so there's reasons other than stellar play of the defense. Now I'm not saying your pass D is bad in any way just that being #1 pass D on that team wasn't a big accomplishment.
PalmerToCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 04:30 AM    (permalink
RaiderNation
All-NFLDC

RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RaiderNation is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaFalcon59 View Post
Jimmy Williams > Michael Huff

Homerism. But it really didn't seem too unreasonable until late in the draft process. Jimmy is also going to play FS this year (moving from CB).
advise...go kill yourself

Welcome to the Silver & Mack
"Just Win Baby"
- Al Davis
@SirStackAlot707
Winston > Mariota

RaiderNation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 07:50 AM    (permalink
bored of education
DC Creeper
Icon

bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

yeah and ok?
<+ScottWright> Why not. Baldwin does need a sparring partner...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermstheman83 View Post
What's with the hate on Ricky Stanzi? Those youtube clips of him with the hulk hogan theme music instantly make him better than Luck.
bored of education is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2007, 08:08 AM    (permalink
TheChampIsHere
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerToCJ View Post
You have to keep in mind that part of the reason you all had the #1 pass D was because when you're trailing all year you aren't going to get passed on very often. They were 18th best in completion percentage and dead last in attempts per game against so there's reasons other than stellar play of the defense. Now I'm not saying your pass D is bad in any way just that being #1 pass D on that team wasn't a big accomplishment.
Very good point. Pass defense in terms of total yards allowed is actually one of the most irrelavent stats in football. I did this project a couple years back for statistics class and measured all these statistics and saw what bearing they had on how much a team wins and found that pass defense really had virtually none. And this does have a lot to do with how bad teams dont get passed on in the 2nd half as teams just milk the clock to hold their leads against them and also that teams with poor run D dont get passed on as as much. I better indication statswise of a good pass D is yards per attempt.

But dont get me wrong, the Raiders do have a strong pass D. Fabian Washington and Nmandhi Asumgha make a great young pair of corners, Michael Huff and Schweigert are both good young safeties, we have one of the top pass-rushers in the league with Burgess and hopefully Moses will add to our pass-rush, and Sapp is still one of the top interior rushers in the game. We have athletic LBs who can drop back into coverage (kirk morrison is extremely good dropping back into coverage)

Addiing Darius should help our run D, which wasn't bad but also could use some improvement and yes the veteran leadership.
Old 07-11-2007, 09:42 PM    (permalink
Raiderz4Life
All-NFLDC

Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Raiderz4Life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Awesome, I love Darius..i always wanted him here. He's going to be solid at the very least. I still believe he has some gas in the tank. This should really help us in run defense as he's good in run support and i also believe he's still decent in coverage.

Props to BK for the sig
"Dying ain't much of a living, boy" -Josey Wales
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanHope View Post
R4L does security, and strips on the weekend.
He told me the best part is being able to wear the same uniform to both jobs.
Raiderz4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 01:48 AM    (permalink
Dam8610
Team Leader
All-Pro

Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

One question: Why?

The problem arises when people use statistics like a drunk uses a lamp post: for support instead of illumination.

If luck is where preparation meets opportunity, then clutch is where failure meets luck.

Quote:
<Add1ct> setting myself on fire can't be that hard
<Add1ct> but tackling a mosquito might prove a challenge
Dam8610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 01:57 AM    (permalink
TheChampIsHere
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dam8610 View Post
One question: Why?
maybe read thru the thread
Old 07-12-2007, 02:10 AM    (permalink
Dam8610
Team Leader
All-Pro

Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChampIsHere View Post
maybe read thru the thread
I did. My question remains.

The problem arises when people use statistics like a drunk uses a lamp post: for support instead of illumination.

If luck is where preparation meets opportunity, then clutch is where failure meets luck.

Quote:
Old 07-12-2007, 02:21 AM    (permalink
TheChampIsHere
Veteran

Quote:
I did. My question remains.
are you sure? cuz the answer was reiterated several times....to help the run D, to bring veteran leadership, to add flexibility to the secondary as we can bring him in as a 4th LB on running downs or a 3rd LB on passing downs, to add depth to the secondary, because Kiffin has ties to him and thinks highly of him and thinks he can bring a lot to the organization, because they were able to sign him pretty cheaply and not to long term deal and they could afford to as they have plenty of cap space and are unlikely to look to make a splash in FA next year(extending Burgess and Asumgha should be the only major moves the Raiders make and they have the cap space to do it). Did the signing fill a major area of need? no, we certainly didnt need to sign a safety, but Darius brings a lot to the table for the Raiders and the more I think about it the more I understand why the Raiders made the move for him.
Old 07-12-2007, 02:49 AM    (permalink
Dam8610
Team Leader
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheChampIsHere View Post
are you sure? cuz the answer was reiterated several times....to help the run D, to bring veteran leadership, to add flexibility to the secondary as we can bring him in as a 4th LB on running downs or a 3rd LB on passing downs, to add depth to the secondary, because Kiffin has ties to him and thinks highly of him and thinks he can bring a lot to the organization, because they were able to sign him pretty cheaply and not to long term deal and they could afford to as they have plenty of cap space and are unlikely to look to make a splash in FA next year(extending Burgess and Asumgha should be the only major moves the Raiders make and they have the cap space to do it). Did the signing fill a major area of need? no, we certainly didnt need to sign a safety, but Darius brings a lot to the table for the Raiders and the more I think about it the more I understand why the Raiders made the move for him.
Okay, it may make a lot of sense for the Raiders, but they aren't the only party involved here. I guess Darius doesn't value having a guaranteed starting spot?

Quote:
Old 07-12-2007, 09:31 AM    (permalink
remix 6
Pro Bowler

remix 6 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Okay, it may make a lot of sense for the Raiders, but they aren't the only party involved here. I guess Darius doesn't value having a guaranteed starting spot?
your teams as good as your backups
remix 6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2007, 10:43 AM    (permalink
TheChampIsHere
Veteran

Quote:
yeah I would have to agree, with the price the Raiders got on Darius, I have a hard time seeing why one of the teams who had major problems at the starting safety position didnt make a bid for him.
Old 07-13-2007, 07:39 PM    (permalink
locseti
Veteran

locseti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.locseti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.locseti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.locseti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.locseti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.locseti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.locseti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.locseti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.locseti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.locseti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.locseti is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

woooo hoooo! Schweigy can learn a thing or two from this guy, mainly how to hit and not get bowled over at the moment of impact.
locseti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 07:48 PM    (permalink
BamaFalcon59
All-NFLDC

BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaiderNation View Post
advise...go kill yourself
Notice the "Homerism".
BamaFalcon59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2007, 10:43 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't know if this signing necessarily indicates that Darius will start. I think there will be a rotation going on here. Perhaps in the nickel, theyll come out with 3 safeties, who knows.

I like this signing. Darius might not have much left in the tank, but at the very least he provides adequate depth (which is never a bad thing) and leadership to a young defense. He's gonna teach these young guys how to play, how to handle the offseason, and think like winners, and thats a big reason why they got him. Young teams need leadership, and adding a classy veteran to mix is not a bad thing.

The Raiders are gonna be a very curious team next year. I still don't have much faith in their offense, but if they can provide at least some help, this team should improve. If Gallery doesn't make a serious commitment to getting back in shape and working on his technique, don't hold out hope of him ever turning it around, whether its LT, RT, or even OG.
Old 07-14-2007, 12:51 PM    (permalink
Xonraider
All-Pro

Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xonraider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I can see this signing made especially for the nickel formations.. maybe give Huff some play at Nickel CB, have Darius and Schweigert at safeties. In run situations, I'd guess we'd take Stu out and have Darius in, moving him near the box, while having Huff back there.
Old 07-14-2007, 01:57 PM    (permalink
doingthisinsteadofwork
All-Pro

doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
probably because behind our starters theres no depth.