Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > College Football

College Football Discuss College Football

View Poll Results: What are you in favor of?
BCS 11 25.58%
Playoff 32 74.42%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-14-2007, 10:05 AM    (permalink
keylime_5
All-NFLDC

keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

As opposed to just 2? Seriously, if they use that format I stated, then I don't see how the other meaningless bowls would become any more or less meaningless. The regular season has the same importance too. After the current BCS contract runs out, I bet you that they will have some kinda of small playoff.
Old 07-16-2007, 08:29 AM    (permalink
UCFNoleFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by simms2clayton View Post
With a playoff, the regular season loses so much importance in NCAAF...in fact I am going on the record as saying we have a playoff called the regular season.

College football is great just the way it is. Look at college footballs regular season vs. college basketballs and tell me which one is better.
The way it is now, the regular season only matters if there are exactly two undefeated, BCS conference, big name teams. How much did Boise's regular season matter last year? How much did Auburn and Utah's matter in 04? The current system is plain garbage because unless you are one of two teams that go undefeated or get voted in by biased people, your regular season isn't worth crap.
Old 07-16-2007, 08:52 AM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by keylime_5 View Post
As opposed to just 2? Seriously, if they use that format I stated, then I don't see how the other meaningless bowls would become any more or less meaningless. The regular season has the same importance too. After the current BCS contract runs out, I bet you that they will have some kinda of small playoff.
You may think the other Bowl games are meaningless, but the vast majoritry of schools and conferences don't. They provide the money to keep the system working and without them college football would see most the the colleges give up the sport for lack of funds. It cost millions to keep a college program alive today and without the funds from all those meaningless Bowls, most schools would be out of business.
The NCAA isn't going to do anything to rock the hand that feeds it. Your stuck with a BCS system that is very flawed but that is all you are ever going to have, so you had better get used to it. The NCAA gave a carrot to the smaller schools to keep them quiet. They are never going to expand the playoff system unless they want complete economic chaios in college football. That my friend is why there is no playoff system today and why you won't see a playoff system in your lifetime
Old 07-16-2007, 10:30 AM    (permalink
BrownsTown
All-Pro

BrownsTown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BrownsTown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BrownsTown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BrownsTown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BrownsTown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BrownsTown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BrownsTown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BrownsTown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BrownsTown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BrownsTown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BrownsTown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm trying to think of a way to include all the bowls in the playoff system. How about this.

Top 2 teams automatically get in. Then, the 3/6 teams and the 4/5 teams square off for a chance to play the top 2. That would be two of the big bowls, and then the 2nd round games would be the other two, followed by the BCS championship. Other teams can go do the other bowls.
BrownsTown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 12:42 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Leave all the other bowls but have a playoff between the top 8 BCS teams.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 12:48 PM    (permalink
keylime_5
All-NFLDC

keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamcanadian View Post
You may think the other Bowl games are meaningless, but the vast majoritry of schools and conferences don't. They provide the money to keep the system working and without them college football would see most the the colleges give up the sport for lack of funds. It cost millions to keep a college program alive today and without the funds from all those meaningless Bowls, most schools would be out of business.
The NCAA isn't going to do anything to rock the hand that feeds it. Your stuck with a BCS system that is very flawed but that is all you are ever going to have, so you had better get used to it. The NCAA gave a carrot to the smaller schools to keep them quiet. They are never going to expand the playoff system unless they want complete economic chaios in college football. That my friend is why there is no playoff system today and why you won't see a playoff system in your lifetime

I'm not saying that they are meaningless and we should get rid of them. I'm saying that they are meaningless in regards to national championships and contenders. Keep the bowls, just make one extra game after the BCS bowls for the #1 and #2 teams. THere will be a playoff system for sure in the future, it's not gonna effect the money that much if you think about it if we do. The only difference is that 2 teams have 2 postseason games instead of 1.
Old 07-16-2007, 12:50 PM    (permalink
keylime_5
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrentN View Post
Leave all the other bowls but have a playoff between the top 8 BCS teams.
Top 8 is too many. That's 3 postseason games for 2 teams, which is either a 15 or 16 game season for them. That's far too many. Keep it to a 4 team playoff to be reasonable, this is college football not basketball, and not the NFL.
Old 07-16-2007, 01:36 PM    (permalink
VY10
Rookie

VY10 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Use BCS rankings to determine top 4. They have a playoff. All the other teams get regular bowl games.....why can't they just do that?
VY10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 02:05 PM    (permalink
UCFNoleFan

Quote:
Top 8 is too many. That's 3 postseason games for 2 teams, which is either a 15 or 16 game season for them. That's far too many. Keep it to a 4 team playoff to be reasonable, this is college football not basketball, and not the NFL.
I would rather see an eight team playoff so that undefeated small conference teams actually have a shot at getting in. Who can say they wouldn't like to see Boise have had a shot at the title as the only undefeated team last year, which even if the top 4 BCS teams got in they would not have been one of them.
Old 07-16-2007, 02:31 PM    (permalink
VY10
Rookie

This is way off and quite unrealistic but who thinks there needs to be a new conference formed for teams that got screwed out of the BCS conferences? Boise State, TCU, Houston, BYU, and Utah instantly come to mind. I think the best of the mid-majors or whatever you like to call them need to be put together to form a new conference. Then the winner gets a shot at a BCS game but probably not the NC.
Old 07-16-2007, 05:03 PM    (permalink
keylime_5
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by VY10 View Post
Use BCS rankings to determine top 4. They have a playoff. All the other teams get regular bowl games.....why can't they just do that?
That's exactly what we need to do. 4 is not too many or too few. I wish they'd just do that after the BCS contract runs out. It would be better for all parties I think. That way even if a team like WVU finishes top 4 then they still have a shot at the title even though the voters would never put them in the top 2...and in years like 2004 when Auburn, USC, and Oklahoma were all with 1 loss then we'd find out if Auburn was the best team instead of USC or not. Too much good would come from doing this.
Old 07-19-2007, 05:40 PM    (permalink
MNRunLeft
Rookie

MNRunLeft hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I think they should use a playoff system for the BCS teams and then just keep the other bowls as they are. Each of the BCS playoff games are played much like they are now rotating which bowls which rounds.
MNRunLeft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 05:45 PM    (permalink
neko4
All-NFLDC

neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
That's exactly what we need to do. 4 is not too many or too few. I wish they'd just do that after the BCS contract runs out. It would be better for all parties I think. That way even if a team like WVU finishes top 4 then they still have a shot at the title even though the voters would never put them in the top 2...and in years like 2004 when Auburn, USC, and Oklahoma were all with 1 loss then we'd find out if Auburn was the best team instead of USC or not. Too much good would come from doing this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNRunLeft View Post
I think they should use a playoff system for the BCS teams and then just keep the other bowls as they are. Each of the BCS playoff games are played much like they are now rotating which bowls which rounds.
My idea is like these two, the top 8 teams should be put in a playoff and the inital playoff games will be called the Rose, Orange, Sugar and Fiesta Playoff Games

Sig thanks to Bonekrusher
neko4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 08:28 PM    (permalink
mittelstaedt2007
Rookie

mittelstaedt2007 could make a wolverine purr.mittelstaedt2007 could make a wolverine purr.mittelstaedt2007 could make a wolverine purr.mittelstaedt2007 could make a wolverine purr.mittelstaedt2007 could make a wolverine purr.mittelstaedt2007 could make a wolverine purr.mittelstaedt2007 could make a wolverine purr.mittelstaedt2007 could make a wolverine purr.mittelstaedt2007 could make a wolverine purr.

About a week ago on ESPN"s First Take, there was a report of a looming change to a plus one system, ie 4 team tourney. The only major opposition was from the Rose Bowl committee, the Big 10, and the Pac 10 as the Rose has a seperate tv contract and sponsorships. The earliest of a possible chance for a playoff would be in 2011, once the ABC contract runs out for the Rose Bowl, and the BCS contract. I'm hoping and praying for a playoff, even if it means waiting till '11, but it would finally determine a champ ON THE FIELD.
mittelstaedt2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 02:12 AM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

you really only need to include top 4, usuallys its two dominant teams, with maybe one outside team, and a smaller school undefeated, that make it interesting...the others could have bowls still, just be a playoff with those 4, bracket them 1-4, and winners play in the NC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 11:33 PM    (permalink
VY10
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
you really only need to include top 4, usuallys its two dominant teams, with maybe one outside team, and a smaller school undefeated, that make it interesting...the others could have bowls still, just be a playoff with those 4, bracket them 1-4, and winners play in the NC
I agree. I would have made it look like this for the bracket. I say no 2 teams from the same conference should be allowed in. (Thus LSU and Michigan being left out.)

Florida vs. Boise State

Ohio State vs. Southern Cal (Or Louisville.)

And really who wouldn't want to watch these games.
Old 07-23-2007, 10:04 AM    (permalink
Veteran

22,895 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Probably the Playoff System. Back in 2002 when Ohio State beat Miami (FL) I still think that USC team could have beat Miami or Ohio State. With Carson Palmer just on fire after destroying UCLA, Notre Dame and, Iowa it would have been fun to see if OSU or Miami could have stopped Carson Palmer, Mike Williams, Keary Colbert, and Justin Fargas. It would have been intresting nevertheless, but with this BCS System that we have we will never know. Also, of course when SC beat OU like a rag doll 55-19 in 2004 it would have been nice to see if LSU could have hung around with USC.
22,895 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 02:22 PM    (permalink
mil_brew_fan
Rookie

mil_brew_fan is a cocksman.mil_brew_fan is a cocksman.mil_brew_fan is a cocksman.mil_brew_fan is a cocksman.

A playoff system, in the end, will allow the best and most dominate team to stand alone. Too bad it can't be implemented right away.
Old 07-23-2007, 02:24 PM    (permalink
mil_brew_fan
Rookie

mil_brew_fan is a cocksman.mil_brew_fan is a cocksman.mil_brew_fan is a cocksman.mil_brew_fan is a cocksman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VY10 View Post
I agree. I would have made it look like this for the bracket. I say no 2 teams from the same conference should be allowed in. (Thus LSU and Michigan being left out.)

Florida vs. Boise State

Ohio State vs. Southern Cal (Or Louisville.)

And really who wouldn't want to watch these games.
You have to allow teams from the same conference. What if two teams finish atop the Big Ten undefeated? Who do you choose then?
Old 07-23-2007, 11:12 PM    (permalink
VY10
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mil_brew_fan View Post
You have to allow teams from the same conference. What if two teams finish atop the Big Ten undefeated? Who do you choose then?
Add another team to the big 10 and install a championship game :) . No really, they need to. It was even mentioned on college football live. It already makes me mad enough that are are 11 teams in the big "10" why not add another?

So my answer is you choose 1 because it is the conferences fault for not having the ability to choose a decisive champion.
Old 07-23-2007, 11:15 PM    (permalink
neko4
All-NFLDC

neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Why cant conferences have championship games regardless of conf. size, all should have one

Old 07-23-2007, 11:17 PM    (permalink
neko4
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by mittelstaedt2007 View Post
About a week ago on ESPN"s First Take, there was a report of a looming change to a plus one system, ie 4 team tourney. The only major opposition was from the Rose Bowl committee, the Big 10, and the Pac 10 as the Rose has a seperate tv contract and sponsorships. The earliest of a possible chance for a playoff would be in 2011, once the ABC contract runs out for the Rose Bowl, and the BCS contract. I'm hoping and praying for a playoff, even if it means waiting till '11, but it would finally determine a champ ON THE FIELD.
I still dont get why they cant call the playoff games the rose, orange, sugar, and fiesta playoff games

Old 07-23-2007, 11:19 PM    (permalink
VY10
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by neko4 View Post
Why cant conferences have championship games regardless of conf. size, all should have one
They all need to. That is why IMHO the SEC is the top conference. The East and West both have their powers and then they have to play each other, possibly again, in a championship game. Now the Big 12 North of recent has been sad but they are coming back.

If all conferences had championship games and if there was a 4 team playoff we would have no more "*" champions.
Old 07-24-2007, 09:16 AM    (permalink
constant cough
Rookie

constant cough hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

If we had a playoff then there wouldn't still be all this USC/LSU 03' talk and Auburn wouldn't have gotten screwd in 04'.

I don't see how anyone can be for the BCS and against a playoff.
constant cough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 09:29 AM    (permalink
P-L
Head Moderator
Legend

P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I am in favor of a Plus One system. It was already said, but let the four major BCS Bowls rotate and have two of them each year play the 1/4 and 2/3 games. Then the winner of those games play each other in the BCS Championship game. There is no reason to believe that system won't work. There will always be controversy and there is no way to eliminate it. However, I personally would much rather there be controversy around the 4th best team than I would around the 2nd best. This only extends the season for only two teams, and only by one game. The whole Bowl format remains the same. The only difference in this system and the current system is that two teams play in two Bowls.
P-L is offline   Reply With Quote