Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Jacksonville Jaguars Team Forum

Jacksonville Jaguars Team Forum Discuss the Jaguars

Old 01-23-2009, 03:57 PM    (permalink
DjBuddaH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Offseason View Post
hey guys im working on a mock right now and in the scenario all 3 of the big 3 ots (smith, monroe and oher) are off the board by #8. monroe went to the bengals and oher went to the raiders. in that scenario would you guys consider jason smith (i know it seems high, but i think he will end up in the top 10) or would you go another direction... maybe raji or jeremy maclin. it seems like you guys would rather get a LT in round 1 which is why im leaning towards smith, but i wasnt sure how good of a fit he would be for your power running game.

but the vibe im getting is that if one of those top 3 OT's is available... you guys will grab him. at least from the fans that is. haha
So does your mock include the FA? If not then there is no other way for us to go than LT. We would have to reach or trade back a little. Because as of right now, Khalif Barnes is not going to be resigned and Richard Collier was the back-up and because of unfortunate events he is now an amputee. So we would have to pick a LT as we have 0 to start. Smith would be perfectly fine.

Maclin is a huge NO. Gene Smiths' drafting philosophy is to build from the inside out through the draft. Meaning gettting our trenches together before getting skill position players. So I'd say at our position to get Smith or Raji...but Smith over Raji right now.
Old 01-23-2009, 09:23 PM    (permalink
Unbiased
Pro Bowler

Unbiased is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Unbiased is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Unbiased is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Unbiased is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Unbiased is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Unbiased is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Unbiased is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Unbiased is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Unbiased is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Unbiased is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Unbiased is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Let's say we move Mo Williams to LT. Then we draft Loadholt in the second round and move Pashos to RG? A lot of movement there, but that wouldn't be bad. Plus it would allow us to get either Raji or Jenkins in the 1st round.
Old 01-23-2009, 11:13 PM    (permalink
murdamal86
Veteran

murdamal86 could make a wolverine purr.murdamal86 could make a wolverine purr.murdamal86 could make a wolverine purr.murdamal86 could make a wolverine purr.murdamal86 could make a wolverine purr.murdamal86 could make a wolverine purr.murdamal86 could make a wolverine purr.murdamal86 could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unbiased View Post
Let's say we move Mo Williams to LT. Then we draft Loadholt in the second round and move Pashos to RG? A lot of movement there, but that wouldn't be bad. Plus it would allow us to get either Raji or Jenkins in the 1st round.
That is a lot of moving lol. I think i'm more of the consensus and go with the safe pick with a LT in the first round and go either CB or DT in the second round. I'm more secure with the WR's than most people are because i don't think we lack good WR, we just lack utilizing them correctly. Even though my Reggie is going to be gone, i never understood why they would try and run him on go routes knowing that isn't his forte. Matt only ran the 10 yard stop route and it seem like Northcutt was either always going deep or running a route involving the sidelines. Dirk has GOT to be more creative and get Garrard to take more chances down field and run more.

As much as i like Fred and think he has a good 2 years left in him, i don't know what we do with him and i'm not so secure on Chauncey Washington being a compliment to Mojo. For some mysterious reason we don't utilize Greg Jones as a RB more so i'm thinking a RB maybe as early as the 3rd round even though it wouldn't be surprising if we pass on that position this draft.

Somebody earlier mentioned LB and i like that idea on the 1st day because i'm just not sold on what we have on our roster right now. Smith at MLB for 16 games to me would be a downgrade from Mike Peterson although i'll admit the past few seasons Smith filled in quite well when Mike Pete was hurt.

Then comes the secondary. Maybe it's me but Reggie Nelson is in my dog house. I know alot of things are out of his control (no pass rush, bad CB play opposite of Mathis, 3 D coordinators in 3 seasons and about to have a 4th in 4 seasons, injuries) but i'm starting to doubt whether he has that "it" that we thought he had that would turn him into our own Ed Reed. Like i said, he gets caught out of position trying to help Brian Williams and Florence but there has been times where he made some terrible decisions in coverage and left us exposed.
murdamal86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 11:24 PM    (permalink
murdamal86
Veteran

murdamal86 could make a wolverine purr.murdamal86 could make a wolverine purr.murdamal86 could make a wolverine purr.murdamal86 could make a wolverine purr.murdamal86 could make a wolverine purr.murdamal86 could make a wolverine purr.murdamal86 could make a wolverine purr.murdamal86 could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
I like D-Will. I think we'd probably have to take him in the 3rd, though. I'm wondering if one out of Heyward-Bey, Harvin, Nicks, or Britt is there in the second, do you snag one of them? Any of those 4 could start with Matt Jones, with Northcutt in the slot (or in Harvin's case, move him to the slot and start Northcutt).

Another point of discussion: Who will/should be the new defensive coordinator?
If Northcutt wins a starting spot at WR next season, we're f****d VERY HARD
Old 01-24-2009, 11:49 AM    (permalink
Mr. Offseason
Rookie

Mr. Offseason could make a wolverine purr.Mr. Offseason could make a wolverine purr.Mr. Offseason could make a wolverine purr.Mr. Offseason could make a wolverine purr.Mr. Offseason could make a wolverine purr.Mr. Offseason could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DjBuddaH View Post
So does your mock include the FA? If not then there is no other way for us to go than LT. We would have to reach or trade back a little. Because as of right now, Khalif Barnes is not going to be resigned and Richard Collier was the back-up and because of unfortunate events he is now an amputee. So we would have to pick a LT as we have 0 to start. Smith would be perfectly fine.

Maclin is a huge NO. Gene Smiths' drafting philosophy is to build from the inside out through the draft. Meaning gettting our trenches together before getting skill position players. So I'd say at our position to get Smith or Raji...but Smith over Raji right now.
ok, good to know. and no im just doing the 1st round of the draft and then a falcons offseason (im a falcons fan). and for what its worth you guys are now drafting oher at #8 in the mock. ;)

and thanks for the info on smith's philosophy. thats very helpful. i wasnt sure maclin would make much sense given your OL and DL needs, but its good to hear it from a fan.

thanks for the help.

-Mr. Offseason
Mr. Offseason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 12:39 PM    (permalink
garrard9
Rookie

garrard9 could make a wolverine purr.garrard9 could make a wolverine purr.garrard9 could make a wolverine purr.garrard9 could make a wolverine purr.garrard9 could make a wolverine purr.garrard9 could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by murdamal86 View Post
If Northcutt wins a starting spot at WR next season, we're f****d VERY HARD
I really don't think he is that bad. If they are going back to the old establish the run and be physical then WR's won't be that big of a deal, obviously a weak point but within the confines of the offense, having Northcutt is not that bad. However, I think Mike Walker will emerge, he had that nice game against PIT last year and then was banged up. He needs to stay healthy because he could be a nice number two.

What about Marcedes Lewis? He was supposed to be a stud pass catching TE
garrard9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 02:54 PM    (permalink
murdamal86
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by garrard9 View Post
I really don't think he is that bad. If they are going back to the old establish the run and be physical then WR's won't be that big of a deal, obviously a weak point but within the confines of the offense, having Northcutt is not that bad. However, I think Mike Walker will emerge, he had that nice game against PIT last year and then was banged up. He needs to stay healthy because he could be a nice number two.

What about Marcedes Lewis? He was supposed to be a stud pass catching TE
Yea i may have overreacted on Northcutt because actually later on in the season he was producing. he's always produced when targeted enough, i just don't think it would be good situation if he was our starter.

Marcedes? He kills me man cause it's like he's hot and cold man. He'll drop two passes then catch a huge third down pass. I thought he would be a bit faster than he was but he just seems a shade bit slower than the top TE's in this league.

And i'm like you man, we need to get back to establishing the run and being more physical. It's like we tried to become a more finesse team at times this past season
Old 01-24-2009, 03:11 PM    (permalink
yourfavestoner
#1 Vickscuser
All-NFLDC

yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Mo to LT? Are you ******* crazy? There's a reason we went out and signed Pashos and Williams got moved to guard. He played very poorly down the stretch at RT in 2006. He has a lot of trouble with speed rushers. Him at LT would be a nightmare.
yourfavestoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2009, 04:22 PM    (permalink
murdamal86
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourfavestoner View Post
Mo to LT? Are you ******* crazy? There's a reason we went out and signed Pashos and Williams got moved to guard. He played very poorly down the stretch at RT in 2006. He has a lot of trouble with speed rushers. Him at LT would be a nightmare.
I'm not even trying to remember his stint at LT.
Old 01-24-2009, 05:01 PM    (permalink
garrard9
Rookie

garrard9 could make a wolverine purr.garrard9 could make a wolverine purr.garrard9 could make a wolverine purr.garrard9 could make a wolverine purr.garrard9 could make a wolverine purr.garrard9 could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
yeah very true, maybe i blocked that stretch out of my mind. I'm putting my chips behind Michael Oher, he is a beast and we may be able to trade back and grab him.
Old 01-24-2009, 08:11 PM    (permalink
Unbiased
Pro Bowler

Unbiased is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Unbiased is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Unbiased is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Unbiased is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Unbiased is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Unbiased is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Unbiased is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Unbiased is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Unbiased is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Unbiased is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Unbiased is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Hey I wasn't the one who brought it up.
Old 01-25-2009, 08:49 AM    (permalink
garrard9
Rookie

mel tucker in at DC, now who gets the DB job because we need someone good. I hope Reggie Nelson isn't a bust...
Old 01-30-2009, 12:55 PM    (permalink
DjBuddaH

Quote:
mel tucker in at DC, now who gets the DB job because we need someone good. I hope Reggie Nelson isn't a bust...
Mel will likely head over the DB's as well. I see JDR calling the shots on D. Even though Mel has the title, JDR will likely be calling plays. And Reggie Nelson is not a bust, he is a playmaker. He had a down year because of injury. Sure he's a liablity on double move WR's, but he has the speed to chase down anyone in the league (great side-line to side-line speed). He will come back strong and show his rookie season wasn't a fluke.
Old 02-05-2009, 07:15 PM    (permalink
garrard9
Rookie

don't how many of you saw the new nfldc mock. we got Jason Smith in the first and Derrick Williams in the second. Gotta say I would rather have Utah CB Sean Smith or Auburn DT SenDerrick Marks over Williams.

thoughts?
Old 02-08-2009, 12:27 PM    (permalink
Unbiased
Pro Bowler

Quote:
don't how many of you saw the new nfldc mock. we got Jason Smith in the first and Derrick Williams in the second. Gotta say I would rather have Utah CB Sean Smith or Auburn DT SenDerrick Marks over Williams.

thoughts?
Smith is a good pick, but yeah, give me an interior lineman on either side of the ball in round 2.
Unbiased is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 01:29 PM    (permalink
garrard9
Rookie

listening to smith makes me believe that DL and OL will be at least two of the first three picks. he will also go for one of those groups later on too.
Old 02-11-2009, 03:37 PM    (permalink
murdamal86
Veteran

We just cut Drayton Florence and Jerry Porter
Old 02-11-2009, 10:39 PM    (permalink
garrard9
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by murdamal86 View Post
We just cut Drayton Florence and Jerry Porter
YES!!!!!!!!!

bunch of garbage, chemistry killing, big money wasting players (i guess you could say I didn't care for them very much).
Old 02-16-2009, 05:09 PM    (permalink
The Unseen
Team Leader
Icon

The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Freddy T is gone. God you will be missed.

It wasn't a good idea for me to be out of the Jaguars loop, otherwise I would've heard about Florence and Porter going. Gene is taking the hacksaw to this team.

by BoneKrusher
Quote:
<DG> how metal unseen
Quote:
<TheUnseen> Drunken Canadian Bastard: There's an APS for that
The Unseen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 06:47 PM    (permalink
garrard9
Rookie

other than Jimmy Smith, Freddie is my favorite Jaguar player.

I'm glad he said that when his career is over and he retires, he will retire a Jaguar. Good luck to him.

Greg Jones time??
Old 02-18-2009, 08:29 AM    (permalink
murdamal86
Veteran

Quote:
other than Jimmy Smith, Freddie is my favorite Jaguar player.

I'm glad he said that when his career is over and he retires, he will retire a Jaguar. Good luck to him.

Greg Jones time??
It ain't Greg Jones time and that sucks man because i think he actually can be more affective than Brandon Jacobs. He's just as fast well i think he's faster and they are both strong but we aren't going to use him as a running back for some odd reason
Old 02-24-2009, 11:20 AM    (permalink
diabsoule
Icon

diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Jaguars | Barnes unlikely to return
Tue, 24 Feb 2009 06:41:52 -0800

Michael C. Wright, of The Florida Times-Union, reports Jacksonville Jaguars impending free-agent OT Khalif Barnes is unlikely to re-sign with the team.

Jaguars | Sensabaugh unlikely to return
Tue, 24 Feb 2009 06:40:19 -0800

Michael C. Wright, of The Florida Times-Union, reports Jacksonville Jaguars impending free-agent FS Gerald Sensabaugh is unlikely to re-sign with the team.

Jaguars | Spicer could be released
Tue, 24 Feb 2009 06:05:46 -0800

Michael C. Wright, of The Florida Times-Union, reports the Jacksonville Jaguars could release DL Paul Spicer this week.

Beastly sig by BoneKrusher

Super Bowl XLIV Champions
WHO DAT!

Check out my blog:
www.saturdaynightslant.com

Follow me on Twitter
http://twitter.com/#!/LaSportsDude
diabsoule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 03:24 PM    (permalink
The Unseen
Team Leader
Icon

The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabsoule View Post
Jaguars | Barnes unlikely to return
Tue, 24 Feb 2009 06:41:52 -0800

Michael C. Wright, of The Florida Times-Union, reports Jacksonville Jaguars impending free-agent OT Khalif Barnes is unlikely to re-sign with the team.

Jaguars | Sensabaugh unlikely to return
Tue, 24 Feb 2009 06:40:19 -0800

Michael C. Wright, of The Florida Times-Union, reports Jacksonville Jaguars impending free-agent FS Gerald Sensabaugh is unlikely to re-sign with the team.

Jaguars | Spicer could be released
Tue, 24 Feb 2009 06:05:46 -0800

Michael C. Wright, of The Florida Times-Union, reports the Jacksonville Jaguars could release DL Paul Spicer this week.
The first is expected, I'm a little surprised about the second, and the third makes sense also.

by BoneKrusher
Quote:
<DG> how metal unseen
Quote:
<TheUnseen> Drunken Canadian Bastard: There's an APS for that
The Unseen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 12:10 AM    (permalink
Unbiased
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Unseen View Post
The first is expected, I'm a little surprised about the second, and the third makes sense also.
With Sensy getting arrested again, I can see it. Gene Smith said he wants high-character guys. It leaves the secondary in a bit of a bind, though.
Unbiased is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 01:40 PM    (permalink
garrard9
Rookie

SI.com football writer Don Banks released his second mock draft and had the Jags taking Mark Sanchez at 8.

cue the laughter.