Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 07-17-2007, 08:51 PM    (permalink
cardsalltheway
Veteran

cardsalltheway is a cocksman.cardsalltheway is a cocksman.cardsalltheway is a cocksman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jared View Post
For the record, I too am very interested about why Jared Allen in particular had his suspension shortened. But, speaking of drinking, since I've been doing so also I thought I'd chime in on a topic that always interests me: race as it pertains to sports. I'm not exactly sure what TheChampIsHere was trying to say but if you think that race is not still a huge factor in sports (and I'm talking the kind that hurts all races) you have your head in the sand.
For example, I am willing to bet that if I closed my eyes and you read me scouting reports from various NFL draft "experts", I would be able to discern the race of the respective players with 80% accuracy without even hearing their names or schools. Word choice is just one example of a subtle and maybe even unconscious way of minimizing whites in sports. Quick quiz: if I say the words: "blue collar", "deceptive speed", "great motor", "top intangibles", "great character", and "classic overachiever", do you form a mental picture of who I'm talking about? Because I've learned that those descriptors are usually reserved for white players. Nevermind that Bobby Black Guy and Joe White Guy had the same times in the 40, 3-cone, short shuttle, etc. I guarantee one of them is going to be described as explosive and athletic with tons of upside while the other will be physically marginalized.
I could go on but I don't wanna get too off topic or bore anyone. I've found quite a few honestly objective links that will verify and reinforce my views. If anyone's curious, shoot me a PM.
It goes both ways. How often do you hear a black quarterback's intelligence being questioned, even when they're as good of a decision maker as Jamarus Russell? How often do you hear a white quarterback brought up when we talk about players who might change positions in the NFL? As a nation we have countless stereotypes and preconceptions about people of different races that stretch from the sports world to the business world to everyday life. That's how it is and I don't see it changing anytime soon.

Designs by D-Unit

ILEMTPKC - I Love Eli Manning <The Patriots Killer> Club
cardsalltheway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2007, 11:30 PM    (permalink
jared
Veteran

jared could make a wolverine purr.jared could make a wolverine purr.jared could make a wolverine purr.jared could make a wolverine purr.jared could make a wolverine purr.jared could make a wolverine purr.jared could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardsalltheway View Post
It goes both ways. How often do you hear a black quarterback's intelligence being questioned, even when they're as good of a decision maker as Jamarus Russell? How often do you hear a white quarterback brought up when we talk about players who might change positions in the NFL? As a nation we have countless stereotypes and preconceptions about people of different races that stretch from the sports world to the business world to everyday life. That's how it is and I don't see it changing anytime soon.
I agree with you, it certainly does go both ways. But you can change peoples' perceptions by unveiling the BS stereotypes for what they are. I see the stereotypes and the barriers as being greater now to certain white athletes. Black quarterbacks, while they are still given cliche compliments and criticisms, are still very present and to some degree flourishing in this league. The same can't be said for white RB's and CB's. I scan through sites like Rivals.com and I routinely see guys with identical measurements and stat lines but the white guy doesn't get any offers to play tailback except from some obscure school like Idaho. Plenty of schools want him to bulk up and play fullback though. After all that is a much more appropriate position for his skin color. Why is it that most of the white WR's and DB's in the NFL seem to come from a very few select schools out west (i.e. Utah, BYU, etc.)? I actually spent a few hours once combing through all the white WR's listed in the NFL. Many had to go to D1AA or lower just to get noticed. Something like 40+ % of them were college walk-ons. Thats almost HALF! In the NFL! I wonder what the percentage is of black NFL WR's who had to take the tough road of college walk-on because they couldn't get any respect from recruiters. Maybe 5%?
jared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 03:28 AM    (permalink
Veteran

255979119 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Well, McNair broke Tenessee law and did not get any suspension. (Just throwing it out in the air.)
255979119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 03:39 AM    (permalink
TheChampIsHere
Veteran

TheChampIsHere hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmartin575 View Post
Because you can't stand the truth.

Is it fair that a more qualified white man applying for a fire department job could lose out to a less qualified man simply because he is a majority?

Yes, racism does exist in today's world. Most of it is directed towards whites. I don't know of too many white neighborhoods that a person of difference race will get shot for being there. Perhaps there could be a few in the south but they certainly would be rare. However, every single big city has neighborhoods populated mostly by minorities where if a white man was caught in that neighborhood he would either be mugged, assaulted, or killed.
First of, lemme adress your little shot at affirmative action. First off, its kinda lame to take quotes out of American History X and use them in arguments. Its not a good look. And to me, the premise that affirmative action costs more qualified white people job is extremely racist in itself as it carries with it a belief of white superiority. Affirmative action requires a small amount of minorities to be hired, a number smaller than the actual percentage they make up of our total population. So to say that a company being required to hire SOME minorities means more qualified white employees are being passed over pretty much means you believe that white people can do the job better. This racist belief is the reason affirmative action was needed in the first place.

The fact that you really believe white men are persecuted more than blacks and other minorites just tells us how out of touch with the world you are. This is exactly the type of silly crap Im talking about, white people complaining about how hard their lives are, dealing with this horrible reverse racism and at the same time steadfastly denying that minorities, specifically black people, face any kind of racism anymore. Its just a joke. Its not the case.

As far as your little thing about the ghettos. Lemme put it like this, ghettos are violent places. It doesnt have to do with black people being violent people it has to do with ghettos being violent, throughout history that is how it has been. Ghettos, places full of poverty and despair, they produce crime and violence. And lemme tell you, it is the people who live there that endure the massive brunt of the harm that comes from the environment, that is to stay, most of the violence in these areas is black-on-black, black-on-brown, etc white people who come into these areas sometimes become subject to the same violence the locals deal with daily. I dont think your accusation that white people are not safe in certain neighborhoods because its full of racist, violent black people has any credibility....more like there are certain places where it simply isnt safe to go for anyone unless you know the right people.

Racist tensions still exist and people like to pretend that they dont but it was not that long when we lived in segregation, when blacks were getting lynched in the south, when it was unnaceptable for a black man and a white woman to be involved. This isnt ancient history, it is very recent american history and if you didnt live through those times your parents probably did and your delusional if you think the history of race relations throught american history doesnt still play a role today.
TheChampIsHere is offline   Reply With Quote