Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > College Football

College Football Discuss College Football

Old 07-17-2007, 03:17 PM    (permalink
OhioState
Veteran

OhioState hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.OhioState hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.
Default OSU D vs. LSU D

I know that LSU has a great set of players on D this year and that they play in the SEC or whatever but i wanna see you guys compare these two units. I really only see them having the advantage at the DT spot and want to know what you guys think
Old 07-17-2007, 03:37 PM    (permalink
BamaFalcon59
All-NFLDC

BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Virginia Tech.
BamaFalcon59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 04:26 PM    (permalink
OhioState
Veteran

OhioState hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.OhioState hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

well this thread sucks
Old 07-18-2007, 05:04 PM    (permalink
Michigan
Who wants to sex Mutombo?
Pro Bowler

Michigan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Michigan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Michigan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Michigan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Michigan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Michigan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Michigan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Michigan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Michigan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Michigan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Michigan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

dont know the point of comparing opposing defenses, but i'd break it down like:

D-Line: LSU
Linebackers: Push
Defensive Backs: OSU

USC's D is easily the best in the nation though.
Old 07-18-2007, 05:10 PM    (permalink
YAYareaRB
All-NFLDC

YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigan View Post

They have to potential to be. Isn't Pinkard suspended though? I think it relies heavily on the play of the D-Line. If they can free up Cushing, Maualuga, and Rivers to make plays they should have the lock down Defense everyone is expecting them to have. But, don't sleep on them tigers. Ali Highsmith is leading a VERY talented group along with Glenn Dorsey and co.

1. USC/LSU
2. USC/LSU
3. Ohio State

YAYareaRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 05:11 PM    (permalink
BamaFalcon59
All-NFLDC

BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

VaTech has been the best for a couple years now, and I don't see it changing. Only big loss was Aaron Rouse and he had a mediocre year.
BamaFalcon59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2007, 06:28 PM    (permalink
OhioState
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by YAYareaRB View Post
They have to potential to be. Isn't Pinkard suspended though? I think it relies heavily on the play of the D-Line. If they can free up Cushing, Maualuga, and Rivers to make plays they should have the lock down Defense everyone is expecting them to have. But, don't sleep on them tigers. Ali Highsmith is leading a VERY talented group along with Glenn Dorsey and co.

1. USC/LSU
2. USC/LSU
3. Ohio State
USC has the best linebackers but who does LSU have that make them better than OSU, it's not like they have ever really been known for their lb's
Old 07-18-2007, 07:13 PM    (permalink
keylime_5
All-NFLDC

keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

DLine- LSU
Linebackers- Clearly OSU (2nd best core in country behind SC)
DBs-OSU easily if Russell is healthy. Coleman and Jenkins are gonna destroy in that secondary.

OSU has had some great defenses under Tressel. This year's won't compete with 2002, 2003, or 2005 in terms of all around greatness, but it will be special.
Old 07-18-2007, 07:37 PM    (permalink
PACKmanN
All-Pro

PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

FUS also have a great D too.
Old 07-18-2007, 09:24 PM    (permalink
Jericho@SC
Rookie

Jericho@SC is a cocksman.Jericho@SC is a cocksman.Jericho@SC is a cocksman.Jericho@SC is a cocksman.Jericho@SC is a cocksman.

Give me LSU's D. They're dominant up front and their linebackers can stack up against any unit in the country. Ohio State has to replace two starting tackles.

Not to mention, LSU's secondary is pretty good too. It might not be pound for pound better than OSU's secondary, but their two corners are all SEC caliber. I think it depends on whether or not they can replace Laron Landry. Maybe Chad Jones can step in and pull a Taylor Mays?
Jericho@SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 01:14 AM    (permalink
gstock05
Veteran

gstock05 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
This year's won't compete with 2002, 2003, or 2005 in terms of all around greatness, but it will be special.
This D will be better than 2003. 2002 and 2005 were incredible D's, I'd say on paper they have as much talent if not more than both those groups.

Just think about it as far as NFL draft picks....

Potential/future 1st rounders

1. Malcolm Jenkins
2. Vern Gholston
3. James Laurinaitis
4. Larry Grant
5. Kurt Coleman (IMO he's a Whitner Clone)
6. Donald Washington - little tidbit here, but he's actually the better overall "cover" corner than Malcolm. Not a better player, but in pure coverage, he's elite and has really stepped up this spring.

2-4 rounders.

1. Todd Denlinger
2. Lawrence Wilson
3. Whoever the 2nd safety is
4. Doug Worthington

Despite that, I think OSU is still behind USC in terms of overall talent.

I don't know a ton about LSU's defense. I do know they're fast and well coached, but who are the big names aside from their defensive tackle? I have a hard time picking them when I can only name 1-2 "star" players off their d that are going to be huge impact players.
gstock05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 02:28 AM    (permalink
TigerBait45
Veteran

TigerBait45 is a cocksman.TigerBait45 is a cocksman.TigerBait45 is a cocksman.

The best D in the country should come down to LSU or Va Tech, I think.

LSU doesn't really have a lot of big names, but they fly under the radar and are excellent. They were a top 5 defense last year and only lost one player of consequence (Landry).

Danny McCray and Chad Jones will probably be the top guys on the chart, but thats really the only spot where LSU breaks in someone new on defense. Craig Steltz is the other safety and he played a ton last year.

Chevis Jackson and Johnathon Zenon are the corners, with Jai Eugene as the nickelback (maybe a starter by the end of the year).

At linebacker, they have Derry Beckwith, Ali Highsmith and either Luke Sanders or Jacob Cutrera. They're honestly all athletic enough to start.

We all know about the D-line. Tyson Jackson, Glenn Dorsey, Ricky-Jean Francois and Marlon Favorite are the guys I think will start, but they have so many good linemen it doesn't really matter who the starters are. THey'll rotate in a bunch of guys.
TigerBait45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 03:37 AM    (permalink
Sniper
Legend

Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerBait45 View Post

Chevis Jackson and Johnathon Zenon are the corners, with Jai Eugene as the nickelback (maybe a starter by the end of the year).
I used to like you TigerBait, but you brought up Jai Eugene and had to remind me of another player that slipped through Michigan's fingers. Thanks a whole bunch ;)

Staying on topic, I love LSU's defense. It all starts on the line and a nasty line makes everyone's job easier and makes everyone look better. Look at Michigan and Alan Branch last year. I think that LSU's line has so much potential it's absurd. Plus, Ali Highsmith is a manbeast at LB.
Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 08:45 AM    (permalink
OhioState
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstock05 View Post
This D will be better than 2003. 2002 and 2005 were incredible D's, I'd say on paper they have as much talent if not more than both those groups.

Just think about it as far as NFL draft picks....

Potential/future 1st rounders

1. Malcolm Jenkins
2. Vern Gholston
3. James Laurinaitis
4. Larry Grant
5. Kurt Coleman (IMO he's a Whitner Clone)
6. Donald Washington - little tidbit here, but he's actually the better overall "cover" corner than Malcolm. Not a better player, but in pure coverage, he's elite and has really stepped up this spring.

2-4 rounders.

1. Todd Denlinger
2. Lawrence Wilson
3. Whoever the 2nd safety is
4. Doug Worthington

Despite that, I think OSU is still behind USC in terms of overall talent.

I don't know a ton about LSU's defense. I do know they're fast and well coached, but who are the big names aside from their defensive tackle? I have a hard time picking them when I can only name 1-2 "star" players off their d that are going to be huge impact players.
marcus freeman definitely deserves to be on that list of potential first rounders.
Old 07-19-2007, 09:21 AM    (permalink
gstock05
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioState View Post
marcus freeman definitely deserves to be on that list of potential first rounders.
Marcus Freeman isn't good enough in run support to be a 1st rounder. Thats just my opinion. He's a GREAT coverage backer, but needs to work on getting off blocks and tackling.
Old 07-19-2007, 12:26 PM    (permalink
OhioState
Veteran

Quote:
Marcus Freeman isn't good enough in run support to be a 1st rounder. Thats just my opinion. He's a GREAT coverage backer, but needs to work on getting off blocks and tackling.
i was just saying that if he was going to include Larry Grant, who has proved nothing, on that list than Freeman should be on too.
Old 07-19-2007, 02:53 PM    (permalink
gstock05
Veteran

Quote:
i was just saying that if he was going to include Larry Grant, who has proved nothing, on that list than Freeman should be on too.
Larry Grant was the most improved player in the spring for OSU. He'll explode this year. Thats where I'm putting grant up there for.
Old 07-19-2007, 02:56 PM    (permalink
OhioState
Veteran

Quote:
Larry Grant was the most improved player in the spring for OSU. He'll explode this year. Thats where I'm putting grant up there for.
i don't doubt it and i am hoping for it :)
Old 07-19-2007, 03:03 PM    (permalink
keylime_5
All-NFLDC

keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I don't know, 2003 was pretty stacked. Only really had 1 bad game the whole year that unit did. Best run defense in the country and we had AJ Hawk and 1st team all american Will Allen at SS, plus Chris Gamble at CB. This year the talent is extreme, but the run defense still has question marks. If we can stop the run better this year and get better safety play we will have a dominating unit that will let us contend for the NC.
Old 07-19-2007, 04:39 PM    (permalink
HoopsDemon12
Pro Bowler

HoopsDemon12 could make a wolverine purr.HoopsDemon12 could make a wolverine purr.HoopsDemon12 could make a wolverine purr.HoopsDemon12 could make a wolverine purr.HoopsDemon12 could make a wolverine purr.HoopsDemon12 could make a wolverine purr.HoopsDemon12 could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigan View Post

It could easily be
D-Line: USC
Linebackers: USC
DB's: USC

that defense is gonna be absolutly disgusting this season

Sig By Diehardvikingfan
HoopsDemon12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 05:13 PM    (permalink
OhioState
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoopsDemon12 View Post
It could easily be
D-Line: USC
Linebackers: USC
DB's: USC

that defense is gonna be absolutly disgusting this season
i don't know, i don't really trust their secondary that much. Also, they could easily have the third best D line out of the three.
Old 07-19-2007, 05:15 PM    (permalink
Sniper
Legend

Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
i don't know, i don't really trust their secondary that much. Also, they could easily have the third best D line out of the three.
You mean besides possible first rounders in Pinkard and Thomas and future first rounder Taylor Mays? Yeah, they suck I love SC's d-line. Jackson, Ellis, now Griffen....veryyyyyyyyyyyyy niccccccccccccccce.
Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 11:27 PM    (permalink
TigerBait45
Veteran

TigerBait45 is a cocksman.TigerBait45 is a cocksman.TigerBait45 is a cocksman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNIPER26 View Post
I used to like you TigerBait, but you brought up Jai Eugene and had to remind me of another player that slipped through Michigan's fingers. Thanks a whole bunch ;)
I couldn't help myself.
TigerBait45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 08:05 AM    (permalink
Michigan
Who wants to sex Mutombo?
Pro Bowler

Michigan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Michigan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Michigan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Michigan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Michigan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Michigan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Michigan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Michigan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Michigan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Michigan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Michigan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNIPER26 View Post
You mean besides possible first rounders in Pinkard and Thomas and future first rounder Taylor Mays? Yeah, they suck I love SC's d-line. Jackson, Ellis, now Griffen....veryyyyyyyyyyyyy niccccccccccccccce.
don't forget fili moala. that guys a BEAST
Old 07-20-2007, 09:27 AM    (permalink
StaticGator
Rookie

StaticGator could make a wolverine purr.StaticGator could make a wolverine purr.StaticGator could make a wolverine purr.StaticGator could make a wolverine purr.StaticGator could make a wolverine purr.StaticGator could make a wolverine purr.StaticGator could make a wolverine purr.StaticGator could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaFalcon59 View Post
VaTech has been the best for a couple years now, and I don't see it changing. Only big loss was Aaron Rouse and he had a mediocre year.
Does anyone else find it odd Virginia Tech has fielded top defenses for the better part of a decade yet has only produced one meaningful pro on that side of the ball over that time (DeAngelo Hall)?

http://www.nfl.com/draft/history/schools/VATECH
StaticGator is offline   Reply With Quote