Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > College Football

College Football Discuss College Football

Old 07-21-2007, 05:51 PM    (permalink
Sniper
Legend

Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadgerMike View Post
Which team had the overall No 1 defense in the Big Ten last year?
The same team that finished 3rd in the conference. Point of the question was? With that creampuff schedule I'd hope they'd be tops in the conference.

Last edited by Sniper : 07-21-2007 at 05:54 PM.
Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 07:44 PM    (permalink
keylime_5
All-NFLDC

keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNIPER26 View Post
6 ypc???????????? What the **** are you smoking? Over 25-30 carries? Your love for OSU blinds reality. A LOT. MoC tore the **** out of Michigan, but I'm too lazy to look to see if he averaged over 6 ypc for the season. Actually it's not necessary because chances are he didn't.
MoC had 5.6 ypc, but going into the Miami game in Tempe it was over 6.0. He had a dreadful YPC in the NC, but he did have 2 TDs and stripped Sean Taylor on a redzone interception that was the play of the game. 6.0 ypc is not that hard in college, it happens all the time on teams with great backs and great lines, or at least on teams who face weak defenses like in the MAC. This isn't the pros. I think Marshawn Lynch averaged around 7 ypc the last couple years at Cal. No Pittman means 25-30 carries for Wells for sure, and he is so good at running the ball inside or out that I think he will get somewhere between 5.5 and 6.5 ypc. Look at the schedule, we play Kent State, Akron, Youngstown State, Northwestern, Minnesota, etc. It's very very realistic if you actually think about it for a change.
Old 07-21-2007, 07:50 PM    (permalink
Sniper
Legend

Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by keylime_5 View Post
MoC had 5.6 ypc, but going into the Miami game in Tempe it was over 6.0. He had a dreadful YPC in the NC, but he did have 2 TDs and stripped Sean Taylor on a redzone interception that was the play of the game. 6.0 ypc is not that hard in college, it happens all the time on teams with great backs and great lines, or at least on teams who face weak defenses like in the MAC. This isn't the pros. I think Marshawn Lynch averaged around 7 ypc the last couple years at Cal. No Pittman means 25-30 carries for Wells for sure, and he is so good at running the ball inside or out that I think he will get somewhere between 5.5 and 6.5 ypc. Look at the schedule, we play Kent State, Akron, Youngstown State, Northwestern, Minnesota, etc. It's very very realistic if you actually think about it for a change.
If that happens, I'll rock a Chris Wells sig for as many days as his ypc. By that I mean, let's say he averaged 6.0 ypc, I'll go for 60 days.
Old 07-21-2007, 10:14 PM    (permalink
BamaFalcon59
All-NFLDC

BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

[quote=gstock05;520587]

Just think about it as far as NFL draft picks....

[quote]

That really doesn't mean everything, though. Because of size and speed, some college players are much better than NFL 1st rounders. Think Garrett Wolfe vs. Chris Henry and the like. Or the Arkansas LB Sam Olajubutu. Troy Smith, Chris Leak, etc.
BamaFalcon59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 10:25 PM    (permalink
keylime_5
All-NFLDC

keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

So you don't think a guy like Wells who is gonna be basically the bulk of our offense this year can't possibly manage 6 ypc against an 8 game schedule of Youngstown State, Kent State, Akron, Norhtwestern, Minnesota, Michigan State, Purdue, and Washington? It's really not that much of a stretch at all, of course it will probably drop once he has to run against PSU, Wisky, Illinois, and UM. But find where I posted that he'd have 6.0 ypc for the 12 game season. I said the first 8. Do you still wanna risk having a Beanie sig now? For the season last year in a SHORT YARDAGE role mind you, he averaged 5.5 ypc. Pittman had 5.1 ypc for the year in a pass first offense, and Wells is much more talented and will get more carries against weaker teams.

Last edited by keylime_5 : 07-21-2007 at 10:29 PM.
keylime_5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 10:26 PM    (permalink
Sniper
Legend

Quote:
So you don't think a guy like Wells who is gonna be basically the bulk of our offense this year can't possibly manage 6 ypc against an 8 game schedule of Youngstown State, Kent State, Akron, Norhtwestern, Minnesota, Michigan State, Purdue, and Washington? It's really not that much of a stretch at all, of course it will probably drop once he has to run against PSU, Wisky, Illinois, and UM. But find where I posted that he'd have 6.0 ypc for the 12 game season. I said the first 8.
I assumed you meant all 12 games.
Old 07-21-2007, 10:33 PM    (permalink
BamaFalcon59
All-NFLDC

BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StaticGator View Post
Does anyone else find it odd Virginia Tech has fielded top defenses for the better part of a decade yet has only produced one meaningful pro on that side of the ball over that time (DeAngelo Hall)?

http://www.nfl.com/draft/history/schools/VATECH
Yeah, but they are so consistently good. Noone is mentioning them but there is a very good shot they are above USC, LSU, and OSU. USC might be ahead, but I'll take VaTech. over LSU and OSU on defense.

And the trend should change...

James Anderson (06)
Darryl Tapp (06)
Aaron Rouse (07)
Xavier Adibi (08)
Vince Hall (08)
Brandon Flowers (08/09)
Victor Harris (08/09)
Chris Ellis (08)

All of the above should be day 1 picks, with all of the 08 to 09 guys having first round potential. Even Roland Minor (the nickle) and DJ Parker (FS) have day 1 potential. Kory Robertson has excellent natural ability but needs to put his mind to it. Duane Brown is pretty good. There are some good young guys too.
Old 07-21-2007, 10:38 PM    (permalink
keylime_5
All-NFLDC

Justin Hamilton looks very promising as a SS in the NFL, but right now he's kinda stuck as a backup to Sean Jones and Brodney Pool in Cleveland. I'm sure he'll be a starting Virginia Tech alum in the NFL eventually though. Most of those great defenses at VT were from coaching and having undersized/fast guys who fit the system yet weren't really great pro talents.
Old 07-21-2007, 10:40 PM    (permalink
BamaFalcon59
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomatoVSC View Post
Virginia Tech.... 2x number one defense in the nation doesn't get much consideration? We're returning 8 defensive starters...and all of them are studs.

To the guy who mentioned our lack of NFL talent...it's amazing. We don't have the best recruiting(teams like UVA and NC State constantly out-recruit us), but our coaching is incredible. We take 2-star talent and make them play like 4-star studs.
I love that about our team. But even though our recruiting isn't stellar, there should be some high picks in the next 2 drafts.
Old 07-21-2007, 10:47 PM    (permalink
BamaFalcon59
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Justin Hamilton looks very promising as a SS in the NFL, but right now he's kinda stuck as a backup to Sean Jones and Brodney Pool in Cleveland. I'm sure he'll be a starting Virginia Tech alum in the NFL eventually though. Most of those great defenses at VT were from coaching and having undersized/fast guys who fit the system yet weren't really great pro talents.
I agree. But the next year or 2 should have some good prospects.
Old 07-22-2007, 05:21 AM    (permalink
504 to ATL
Veteran

504 to ATL 504 to ATL 504 to ATL 504 to ATL

The only thing I will chime in on is this:

D-Line - LSU followed by USC a very distant third OhSt

LB's - USC(hands down) followed by OhSt a close third LSU

DB's - USC a close second LSU a close third OhSt

Overall I would say USC with LSU following closely and OhSt a good third.
504 to ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 10:21 AM    (permalink
OhioState
Veteran

OhioState hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.OhioState hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

chris wells averaged over five yards a carry as a freshman, i think the possibilities are endless
Old 07-22-2007, 03:11 PM    (permalink
Sniper
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioState View Post
chris wells averaged over five yards a carry as a freshman, i think the possibilities are endless
On a backup's carries. He only had 104 carries. Brandon Minor averaged 5.7 yards on 42 carries as Hart's backup. Are his possibilities endless?