Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 07-28-2007, 11:29 AM    (permalink
flave1969
Rookie

flave1969 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.flave1969 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.flave1969 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.flave1969 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.flave1969 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.flave1969 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.flave1969 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.flave1969 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.flave1969 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.flave1969 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.flave1969 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearsfan_51 View Post
I don't think Monk or Irvin deserve to be in.

So was Largent the last deserving receiver to go in and who should be the next one?
flave1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 03:16 PM    (permalink
yourfavestoner
#1 Vickscuser
All-NFLDC

yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think Namath should be in simply for the fact that you can't tell the story of the NFL without him. He's an icon in terms of NFL history.

Last edited by yourfavestoner : 07-28-2007 at 03:48 PM.
yourfavestoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 03:39 PM    (permalink
doingthisinsteadofwork
All-Pro

doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtlepower View Post
I think Al Davis deserved to be in for his past success with the Raiders in the 70s, but should be taken out for what he has done with the Raiders recently and for giving Art Shell a coaching job...twice.
Yeah your right that first time around when Shell had a winning record took them to the playoffs.Al shouldnt have hired him the first time.I guess him also bringing them to the SB a couple of years ago was terrible to.
Old 07-28-2007, 03:42 PM    (permalink
BigDawg819
All-NFLDC

BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doingthisinsteadofwork View Post
Yeah your right that first time around when Shell had a winning record took them to the playoffs.Al shouldnt have hired him the first time.I guess him also bringing them to the SB a couple of years ago was terrible to.
That was Bill Callahan who coached them in the Super Bowl against the Bucs' and it was basically Jon Gruden's team and offense.

Magical sig by OSUGiants

SSAEL....... its a new revolution!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Job View Post
On another note, Nicklas Backstrom is amazingly good.
Quote:
Meanwhile, in hockey the other night, the Washington Capitals' Eric Belanger gets hit with a stick, loses EIGHT teeth, has an instant root canal in the locker room, comes back out and PLAYS and never says boo.

So new rule, NBA: Unless you have a root canal at halftime, SHUT UP AND PLAY!
BigDawg819 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 03:44 PM    (permalink
doingthisinsteadofwork
All-Pro

doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDawg819 View Post
That was Bill Callahan who coached them in the Super Bowl against the Bucs' and it was basically Jon Gruden's team and offense.
Yes but it was Al Davis who hired Gruden.
Old 07-28-2007, 03:45 PM    (permalink
BigDawg819
All-NFLDC

BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doingthisinsteadofwork View Post
Yes but it was Al Davis who hired Gruden.
Yeah but your post I corrected was implying Art Shell took them to the Super Bowl which is false.

Magical sig by OSUGiants

SSAEL....... its a new revolution!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Job View Post
On another note, Nicklas Backstrom is amazingly good.
Quote:
Meanwhile, in hockey the other night, the Washington Capitals' Eric Belanger gets hit with a stick, loses EIGHT teeth, has an instant root canal in the locker room, comes back out and PLAYS and never says boo.

So new rule, NBA: Unless you have a root canal at halftime, SHUT UP AND PLAY!
BigDawg819 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 04:06 PM    (permalink
doingthisinsteadofwork
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDawg819 View Post
Yeah but your post I corrected was implying Art Shell took them to the Super Bowl which is false.
Oh.I ddint mean that.I was talking about Shells first time as a HC and that was succesful for a period of time.THen I switched to the SB a couple of years ago.
Old 07-28-2007, 05:01 PM    (permalink
keylime_5
All-NFLDC

keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfrillman View Post
Gayle Sayers

I know this may be a questionable pick. I have my reasons though. Sayers was unquestionably a great player, but there have been many great players (particularly RB's) that have not been admitted into The Hall for various reasons. The reason Sayers should not be in The Hall is because he simply did not have a long enough career and was injured far too often. Explain to me why Sayers is in The Hall while Terrell Davis is not. Roll the stats please.

Sayers............................... Rushing .............................Receiving
Year Team ....Games ..No..... Yds.... Avg.... TD .....No.... Yds.... Avg... TD
1965 Chicago ...14 ....166 .....867 ....5.2 ....14 ...... 29 ....507 ....17.5 ...6
1966 Chicago ...14 ....229 ....1231 ...5.4 .....8 ........34 ....447 ....13.1 ...2
1967 Chicago ...13 ....186 .....880 ....4.7 .....7........ 16 ....126 ....7.9 ....1
1968 Chicago ....9 ....138 .....856 .....6.2 .....2 ...... 15 ....117 .....7.8 ....0
1969 Chicago ...14 ....236 ....1032 ....4.4 ....8 ........17 ....116 .....6.8 ...0
1970 Chicago ....2 .....23 .......52 .....2.3 .....0 ........1 .....-6 ......-6 .....0
1971 Chicago ....2 .....13 .......38 .....2.9 .....0 ....... 0 ......0 ......-- ......0
Career ..........68 .....991 ...4956 ....5 .......39 .....112 ...1307 ....11.7... 9

Davis............................... Rushing .............................Receiving
1995 Denver ....14 ....237 ....1,117 ...4.7..... 7 .......49 ....367..... 7.5..... 1
1996 Denver ....16.... 345 ....1,538 ...4.5.... 13....... 36... 310 .....8.6 .....2
1997 Denver ....15 ....369 ....1,750... 4.7 ....15 ......42 ....287..... 6.8 .....0
1998 Denver ....16.... 392.... 2,008 ...5.1 ....21 ......25.... 217 .....8.7 .....2
1999 Denver .....4...... 67 .....211 .....3.1.... 2 .........3 .....26 ......8.7.... 0
2000 Denver .....5 ......78 .....282..... 3.6 ....2 ........2 ......4 ........2.0.... 0
2001 Denver ....11 ....167 .....701 .....4.2 ....0 .......12 .....69 ......5.8 .....0
Career ............81 ...1655.... 7607.... 4.6 ...60 ......169....1280.... 7.6 ....5

Davis- 7607 career rushing yards, 8887 total yards
Sayers- 4956 career rushing yards, 6263 total yards

Davis has played in more career games, Davis played in 72.3% of his teams games compared to Gayers playing in 69.4% of his teams games, 21 more rushing TDs, as well as more receptions.

I would have no problem with Sayers being in The Hall if Davis were in as well, but Sayers being in and Davis not being in shows an astonishing lack of consistency in the requirements to be in The Hall. The main problem is that sports writers are the only people who vote on it, Hello large media market biases. Besides that though, it needs to be determined whether The Hall requires being very good over a long period of time, amazing over a short period, or both, because having a little bit of each leaves many players being left out who have the same, if not better stats than others that are in.
Sayers had a higher ypc and wasn't in a system that produced 1000 yard rushers out of RBs with average talent. Also keep in mind that Sayers played in 14 game seasons, not 16 game seasons, and also Sayers had about 700 less carries than Davis. Sayers also beat out Jim Brown for an MVP trophy once I think, a remarkable feat. And yes, stats aren't everything in football like they are in baseball, Sayers' incredible talent are more than enough reason to put him in the hall even though he didn't produce like E.Smith or W.Payton for a long career. Sayers is probably one of the 5 best backs ever to suit up. But no knock on you really, this is supposed to be a thread that kind of has shocking suggestions. Not many people, if any at all, who are in the hall don't belong. I for one think T.Davis should be in over some guys (say Curtis Martin for instance) despite stats.

If I had to take someone out, It'd probably be either Joe Namath or Lynn Swann (don't ask why, don't get me started).
Old 07-30-2007, 05:04 AM    (permalink
awfullyquiet
Miss NFLDC
All-Pro

awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

but as a hindsight. art shell IS in the hall of fame. funny that.
amazing on how an OT can produce an offence that sucked so badly as a coach. funny how these coaching things work.

United: "I actually went to the college I root for"
awfullyquiet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 05:18 AM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I have thought about this and I have come up with my answer: Lynn Swan. Putting him in the Hall of Fame is tantamount to putting Deion Branch in. He had excellent individual plays in the Super Bowl, sure. That should not be the sole factor in making the Hall of Fame.

Art Monk > Lynn Swan any day
Shiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 06:58 AM    (permalink
P-L
Head Moderator
Legend

P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiver View Post
I have thought about this and I have come up with my answer: Lynn Swan. Putting him in the Hall of Fame is tantamount to putting Deion Branch in. He had excellent individual plays in the Super Bowl, sure. That should not be the sole factor in making the Hall of Fame.

Well, I think the only people that actually think Swann deserves to be in are Steelers fans.

Career stats:
336 catches, 5462 yards, 51 TD

Single season average:
37 catches, 606 yards, 6 TD

He never had more than 880 yards in a season or more than 11 TD. Aside from the 1975 and 1978 Super Bowls his playoff stats really weren't anything special.
P-L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 11:00 AM    (permalink
nobodyinparticular
Hall of Famer
Legend

nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

Beautiful. Absolutely beautiful. Thank you for taking the words right out of my mouth.

Oldie but a goodie.
nobodyinparticular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 01:50 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
The Professor (Hall of Famer)
Legend

bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flave1969 View Post
So was Largent the last deserving receiver to go in and who should be the next one?
Without looking I'd say John Stallworth was the last one to get in that deserved it and the next are obviously Chris Carter and Jerry Rice. That's an easy one.

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.
bearsfan_51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 03:33 PM    (permalink
leroyisgod
Pro Bowler

leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.leroyisgod is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinzzfan25 View Post
Art Monk:
224 career games
940 receptions (tied for 6th in NFL history)
12,721 receiving yards (11th in NFL history)
68 touchdowns
Three Pro Bowls
Five 1,000-yard seasons
Three Super Bowl victories (injured in his third) (zero touchdowns)

Class act of the league, not flashy, simple and humble.

Michael Irvin:
159 career games
750 receptions (tied for 20th in NFL history)
11,904 receiving yards (14th in NFL history)
65 touchdowns
Five Pro Bowls
Seven 1,000-yard seasons
Three Super Bowl victories (two touchdowns)

Showoff, crackhead, lower stats.
Go figure, a Redskins fan complaining about Art Monk again.

Signature courtesy of BoneKrusher
leroyisgod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 03:51 PM    (permalink
Ewing
Pro Bowler

Ewing is a cocksman.Ewing is a cocksman.Ewing is a cocksman.Ewing is a cocksman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man_Of_Steel View Post
Gale Sayers was one of the best talents the league had seen, Mario Lemieux the greatest hockey player of all time faced many injuries, that dosent take away from what he did on the ice just as you cant take away what Sayers did.
Is that why his jersey number is retired for every team and they bypassed the three year waiting period to induct him in the Hall Of Fame? Oh yeah, that's Wayne Gretzky, the guy who won eight straight MVP's and retired holding 61 different records.
Ewing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 04:07 PM    (permalink
Hines
Legend

Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

do you guys think jerome should get in?
Old 07-30-2007, 04:44 PM    (permalink
Ewing
Pro Bowler

Ewing is a cocksman.Ewing is a cocksman.Ewing is a cocksman.Ewing is a cocksman.

Lynn Swann is the possibly the most rawly talented receiver of all-time. He's the wide reciever version of Gale Sayers. A reason he didn't put up incredible numbers is because he had Franco Harris in the backfield and Stallworth beside him. Had Swann been the sole target on a team he would have broken a ton of records. He gets in on talent and clutch plays alone.
Old 07-30-2007, 04:55 PM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HinesWardJr View Post
do you guys think jerome should get in?
I don't, but I'm more strict than others. I think that to make the Hall of Fame you need to be at the top of your position at least once.
Old 07-30-2007, 04:58 PM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ewing View Post
Lynn Swann is the possibly the most rawly talented receiver of all-time. He's the wide reciever version of Gale Sayers. A reason he didn't put up incredible numbers is because he had Franco Harris in the backfield and Stallworth beside him. Had Swann been the sole target on a team he would have broken a ton of records. He gets in on talent and clutch plays alone.
Gale Sayers' dominance and athleticism transcended the game. They don't look great now, but they were dominant in his era. He also had injuries snuff out his prime. You cannot apply the same tag to Swann. Lynn Swann made the hall of fame only for his clutch Super Bowl performances; however, you should put Deion Branch in there for that as well.
Old 07-30-2007, 05:00 PM    (permalink
SuperMcGee
Team Leader
Legend

SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperMcGee is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Is that why his jersey number is retired for every team and they bypassed the three year waiting period to induct him in the Hall Of Fame? Oh yeah, that's Wayne Gretzky, the guy who won eight straight MVP's and retired holding 61 different records.
Actually, they did waive the three year waiting period to induct Mario into the HOF.
SuperMcGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2007, 05:01 PM    (permalink
Ewing
Pro Bowler

Quote:
I don't, but I'm more strict than others. I think that to make the Hall of Fame you need to be at the top of your position at least once.
The debate in the NFL over the past six years is who is the best quarterback, Manning or Brady. Do you mean to tell me that guy who you don't think is the best between those two, doesn't get in the Hall Of Fame by your standards?
Old 07-30-2007, 05:02 PM    (permalink
Ewing
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMcgee View Post
Actually, they did waive the three year waiting period to induct Mario into the HOF.
Doesn't matter, Mario isn't even close to Gretzky; nobody is.
Old 07-30-2007, 05:05 PM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

Quote:
The debate in the NFL over the past six years is who is the best quarterback, Manning or Brady. Do you mean to tell me that guy who you don't think is the best between those two, doesn't get in the Hall Of Fame by your standards?
My idea of "top" that isn't inclusive of the #1 position. It's too subjective to quantify it as such. Was Jerome Bettis (or Curtis Martin for that matter) ever considered an elite RB? The answer is no. If they didn't have longevity no one would ever consider them great players. As for the QB position: Brady, Manning, Favre are the only ones who should make it from this era.
Old 07-30-2007, 05:12 PM    (permalink
Ewing
Pro Bowler

Quote:
As for the QB position: Brady, Manning, Favre are the only ones who should make it from this era.
What about Ryan Leaf?
Old 07-31-2007, 12:56 PM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

Quote:
What about Ryan Leaf?

You know what? That's a good idea. Canton should open the new Hall of Infamy, as an extension of the Hall of Fame.