Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > College Football

College Football Discuss College Football

View Poll Results: Who's the better coach?
Pete Carroll 32 80.00%
Urban Meyer 8 20.00%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-25-2007, 12:06 AM    (permalink
soybean
All-Pro

soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Better Coach: Pete Carroll vs. Urban Meyer

Who's the better coach Pete Carroll or Urban Meyer?

Use any criteria you want to judge.
soybean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 12:12 AM    (permalink
Sniper
Legend

Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by soybean View Post
Who's the better coach Pete Carroll or Urban Meyer?

Use any criteria you want to judge.
I like Pete Carroll. He's got 1 1/2 championships with players he actually recruited. Plus, the recruits he gets every year are ridiculous.
Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 12:22 AM    (permalink
KCJ58
Icon

KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Pete Carroll and it's not even close

KCJ58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 12:42 AM    (permalink
jbeans187
Veteran

jbeans187 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.jbeans187 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Both amazing, but i gave a slight edge to Carroll

Leroy Smith - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koGD6XnAsNs
jbeans187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 01:28 AM    (permalink
YAYareaRB
All-NFLDC

YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think Urban Meyer gets Creativity Points. His offense is complicated to prepare for and hard to stop. Pete Carroll is the better overall coach though.

YAYareaRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 02:29 AM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

carroll is the better coach, coached in the NFL, and i think could go back and do well on the right terms...i think meyer is an excellent college coach but i dont see him going to the NFL and doing well

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 03:19 AM    (permalink
reigle9
Veteran

reigle9 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

You cant just say use any criteria you want. That makes the poll pointless, you have to be more specific.

Head coach?
Offensive coach?
Defensive coach?
Game Day coach?
Recruiter?
Academics?
Snake oil salesman?
Ethics?
reigle9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 03:34 AM    (permalink
MNRunLeft
Rookie

MNRunLeft hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Carroll is the better recruiter and overall coach, but Myer good offensive mind and got the most out of his players when at a smaller school like Utah.
MNRunLeft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 08:04 AM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Carroll is better currently, but he has several years on Urban; Urban will make his own legacy much like Carroll has at USC

Follow me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/#!/aMo_Captain
princefielder28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 10:06 AM    (permalink
Turtlepower
All-Pro

Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Urban was able to do well at two different programs, but he did win a championship with mostly players that he didn't recruit. The better offensive guru is Urban Meyer, the better defensive guru is Pete Carroll, the better recruiter is Pete Carroll, the better coach is Pete Carroll.

^Bad ass sig by fenikz^

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halsey View Post
I don't have to watch it to know it was not interesting.
Giants, ASU Sun Devils, Yankees
Turtlepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 11:18 AM    (permalink
moc182
All-Pro

moc182 is a cocksman.moc182 is a cocksman.moc182 is a cocksman.moc182 is a cocksman.

As much as I dislike him, i'd give the nod to Urban.

"A real man makes his own luck." Billy Zane, Titanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmitt Smith
Donít quit, donít even quit.
moc182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 11:43 AM    (permalink
mil_brew_fan
Rookie

mil_brew_fan is a cocksman.mil_brew_fan is a cocksman.mil_brew_fan is a cocksman.mil_brew_fan is a cocksman.

Pete Carroll is the better coach. He has an offensive system that is successful at the college level and grooms players to be great NFL players.
Old 07-25-2007, 01:01 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

meyer has a recipe for success at UF...with his offensive scheme, and the type of players he has access too, with the athletic ability and talent, when he really brings in 4 solid recruiting classes we could start to see how dominant florida can be...i really hope he stays and doesnt chase the money

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 02:00 PM    (permalink
Sniper
Legend

Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
.i really hope he stays and doesnt chase the money
Like that's going to happen.
Old 07-25-2007, 02:04 PM    (permalink
Turtlepower
All-Pro

Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
i really hope he stays and doesnt chase the money
I believe it's not as much the money he wants, but he wants complete control over the team like he has at USC. He wants to be hired as both the GM and head coach, which I feel like most owners would not do.

^Bad ass sig by fenikz^

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halsey View Post
I don't have to watch it to know it was not interesting.
Giants, ASU Sun Devils, Yankees
Turtlepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 02:11 PM    (permalink
Jericho@SC
Rookie

Jericho@SC is a cocksman.Jericho@SC is a cocksman.Jericho@SC is a cocksman.Jericho@SC is a cocksman.Jericho@SC is a cocksman.

I think Meyer's an offensive genius while Carroll's a defensive mastermind.

One of Urban's advantages moving forward is that he's got a great staff that is probably a little better than USC's. His defensive coordinator Charlie Strong is the one of the best in the business. Florida's offense will never be a problem while Urban's around.

Meanwhile, it remains to be seen whether or not USC can become the offensive juggernaut it used to be now that Chow, Leinart and Bush have all left.

Personally I think they are neck and neck. Meyer's got a great staff, but has neighboring powerhouses to compete with in recruiting each year. Whereas Carroll has the entire west to himself. It'll be interesting to see if these two programs clash at some point in the future.
Jericho@SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 03:14 PM    (permalink
TigerBait45
Veteran

TigerBait45 is a cocksman.TigerBait45 is a cocksman.TigerBait45 is a cocksman.

I think we need to give Meyer a little more time. Once the majority of the players on the field are guys he recruited we'll see what hes really about. He won last year with Zook's players, mostly.

Hes got a great scheme, for sure, but teams in the SEC are bound to learn how to gameplan for his spread eventually. Theres a ton of speed all around the conference.

Carroll's the better coach for my money. Meyer's good but hes not quite great yet.
TigerBait45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 10:06 PM    (permalink
Gribble
Pro Bowler

Gribble is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gribble is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gribble is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gribble is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gribble is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gribble is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gribble is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gribble is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gribble is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gribble is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gribble is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't know about Carroll sometimes. He's touted as a "defensive" mastermind yet in the 2006 title game he had no answers for Vince Young. We all know he's a great player's coach and recruiter, but I have to go with Meyer because his offensive understanding is better than Caroll's defensive prowess.
Old 07-25-2007, 10:09 PM    (permalink
Canadian_kid16
All-Pro

Canadian_kid16 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Canadian_kid16 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Canadian_kid16 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Canadian_kid16 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Canadian_kid16 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Canadian_kid16 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Canadian_kid16 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Canadian_kid16 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Canadian_kid16 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Canadian_kid16 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Canadian_kid16 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Carroll recruits the top 10 players from each position every year (that was obviously sarcasm, but you get my point) and he turned around USC from being a perrenial overachiever to IMO the most powerful college football program out there, so he gets the nod

Proud fan of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers
Somewhat proud fan of the Toronto Blue Jays
Yes, a fan of the Toronto Maple Leafs as well
A fan of the USF Bulls
Canadian_kid16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 10:10 PM    (permalink
BamaFalcon59
All-NFLDC

BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BamaFalcon59 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

He did look helpless against Texas in the National Championship. Wasted a timeout as well before the 2-point conversion.
BamaFalcon59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 10:15 PM    (permalink
Canadian_kid16
All-Pro

Canadian_kid16 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Canadian_kid16 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Canadian_kid16 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Canadian_kid16 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Canadian_kid16 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Canadian_kid16 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Canadian_kid16 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Canadian_kid16 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Canadian_kid16 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Canadian_kid16 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Canadian_kid16 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaFalcon59 View Post
He did look helpless against Texas in the National Championship. Wasted a timeout as well before the 2-point conversion.
one game shouldn't make a career IMO...plus I don't even remember that game as well as Texas' 38-37 win over MIchigan...that game was better IMO (I watched both)

Proud fan of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers
Somewhat proud fan of the Toronto Blue Jays
Yes, a fan of the Toronto Maple Leafs as well
A fan of the USF Bulls
Canadian_kid16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 10:23 PM    (permalink
Sniper
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gribble View Post
I don't know about Carroll sometimes. He's touted as a "defensive" mastermind yet in the 2006 title game he had no answers for Vince Young. We all know he's a great player's coach and recruiter, but I have to go with Meyer because his offensive understanding is better than Caroll's defensive prowess.
Yes, because one game has always defined a coach's legacy. No one would have had an answer for VY on that night. Pretty sure you could have had Jesus at linebacker and VY would have juked him too.

Last edited by Sniper : 07-25-2007 at 11:19 PM.
Old 07-25-2007, 11:21 PM    (permalink
Sniper
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian_kid16 View Post
one game shouldn't make a career IMO...plus I don't even remember that game as well as Texas' 38-37 win over MIchigan...that game was better IMO (I watched both)
I thought both games were incredible, but I liked the SC game better, not only because of the fact that Michigan lost, but the implications and storylines were better. You had 2 Heisman winners, a Heisman runner-up, NFL players all over the field, 1 great coach and 1 very good coach. Then the back and forth was crazy too. Both sick games though.
Old 07-26-2007, 12:00 AM    (permalink
soybean
All-Pro

soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gribble View Post
eh, i don't think his defensive schemes focus on dual threat quarterbacks (ie. patrick cowan) He likes to bring the house, so when he does that it usually leaves a lane open for the qb to run. (ie brady quinn, rudy carpenter) He'll fix that i hope.
soybean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 12:03 AM    (permalink
Jericho@SC
Rookie

Jericho@SC is a cocksman.Jericho@SC is a cocksman.Jericho@SC is a cocksman.Jericho@SC is a cocksman.Jericho@SC is a cocksman.

People forget that during the championship game, USC was so banged up on defense that they were playing WALK ONS! Yes, WALK ONS!

Ryan and Brandon Ting. Two USC Medical students who had to earn schollies were playing in the biggest game of the season. I seem to remember one point during the closing minutes where one of the Ting brothers knocked down a Vince Young jump ball rather than intercept it. That right there could have ended the game.

Additionally, Brian Cushing was playing with basically one arm as he had a dislocated shoulder.

It might sound like I'm making excuses, but those are the facts. Any team that has to start walk ons over scholarship players against a Vince Young led offense is in big trouble.

I think Pete's strategy that game was extreme bend but don't break. He basically let Vince Young pass for 10 yards at a time b/c he was afraid of his patchwork giving up the big play. Whether or not he should have been more aggressive is debatable. But I think he was just handing over hope to the offense to outscore Texas.
Jericho@SC is offline   Reply With Quote