Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > The Locker Room > Off Topic

Off Topic Almost Anything Goes

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2010, 11:44 PM    (permalink
The Unseen
Team Leader
Icon
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: :3
Posts: 17,548
Reputation: 466188
The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Unseen is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

Oh, Enchanted's pretty good, although I'm disillusioned by it due to how much my sister and all her friends yapped about it.
__________________

by BoneKrusher
Quote:
<DG> how metal unseen
Quote:
<TheUnseen> Drunken Canadian Bastard: There's an APS for that
The Unseen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 12:17 AM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Jersey
Posts: 31,041
Reputation: 2810967
Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

I like all things Disney so I saw Enchanted when it first came out. Very good movie.
__________________
#Chop


sig by BoneKrusher
Giantsfan1080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 02:00 AM    (permalink
M.O.T.H.
Legend
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: NJ
Posts: 40,786
Reputation: 789330
M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.M.O.T.H. is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

17 Again was actually pretty funny. Ugh. I hate myself.

Anyway I'm bored...going to watch Matchstick Men in a few. Havent seen it in a long time.
__________________

Thanks BoneKrusher^

http://youtube.com/watch?v=6_j52DziMy4 (the man)
http://youtube.com/watch?v=2g6S3Anto7c
KO KNOWS
M.O.T.H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 02:02 AM    (permalink
A Perfect Score
Resident Alcoholic
All-NFLDC
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 14,049
Reputation: 2256192
A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

Matchstick Men is awesomeness. Rockwell and Nick Cage when he actually paid his taxes? Good stuff.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Goosemahn View Post
The APS is strong in this one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by killxswitch View Post
Tears for Fears is better than whatever it is you happen to be thinking about right now.
A Perfect Score is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 02:12 AM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Dropping Brady Passes
Posts: 17,506
Reputation: 5057637
Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Perfect Score View Post
This is one of the stupidest things posted in this thread, and trust me, there has been some pretty dumb **** in here. The difference between Transformers 2 and Avatar is astronomical. You could drive a ******* truck through the plot holes in Transformers, and as cliched as some of the dialogue in Avatar was, it had nothing on the "dialogue", and yes, I use the term loosely there, that was in Transformers. Both visual effects spectacles? You bet. Remotely close on the movie scale? Absolutely not. Avatar was, for all intents and purposes, a good film, even if you dont think its worthy of Best Picture. Transformers 2 was an abomination and Michael Bay is actually becoming a worse filmmaker as he goes on...something very very rare.
To come back to this, I was making a point, not being serious. Transformers 2 plot holes were so bad I went in expecting bad and still couldn't stand the damn movie. However, I liked Avatar the first time through, and it still is a decent watch, so long as you do it in 3-D and Imax. After the first time, theres no reason to come back to it, and I expect more then just great effects from the man that is James Cameron. I'm sorry I see differently then you but I cant help but feel like the movie buffs on here attack what most people say about your normal movies for having the same problems Avatar had, yet with amazing 3-D and James Cameron attached you defend it. And to try and say it changed the way movies will be made is a horrible excuse to calling it an amazing movie. I mean if you added the same effects and 3-D to Disney's pocahontas would you claim the movie was above average and deserved the attention Avatar is getting? Just because a well known director gets to work with record amounts of money every time he touches a movie & creates amazing effects does not make it an amazing movie, which was the point I was trying to make. Seriously, just defend Avatar without including anything about the effects or the 3-D for being more than an average movie, I would love to hear it.
__________________


Quote:
Originally Posted by WMD View Post
Jesse realizing Walt was Santa Claus could really shake things up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpngc View Post
I don't know how old you are, but if you can get to 24/25 without getting arrested or killed, you've done well for yourself lol.
Jvig43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 02:26 AM    (permalink
A Perfect Score
Resident Alcoholic
All-NFLDC
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 14,049
Reputation: 2256192
A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

Ummm ok, try and defend The Dark Knight but lets take away Heath Ledger. Or how about There Will Be Blood, but we wont have any Daniel Day Lewis. Or lets watch Pulp Fiction on mute so we don't have any of the dialogue.

See my point?

You can't remove an integral part of a movie and just say "defend it". NOBODY on this board, or anywhere for that matter, has praised Avatar for it's storyline or it's acting (which I didnt find to be subpar...In fact, I found Saldana to be downright excellent, along with Ribisi)...Its a revolutionary film because of its effects. Much in the same way The Matrix gave us 10 years of bullet time special effects shots, Avatar will inspire dozens of 3D films for years to come. Yes, that is revolutionary. And if Pocahontas had those effects and did that EXACT same thing, then hell yes I'd laud it and say the exact things Im saying about Avatar now. People didn't go watch Avatar because of the dialogue...they went to SEE the effects. Visual stimulation is whats most important in this scenario.

And please, dont give me the "boo hoo film buffs hate on movies" ********. Everyone knew Transformers 2 was garbage, and comparing it to Avatar is an insult to non-blind/deaf/stupid people everywhere. Avatar is being overly-criticized BECAUSE its popular, not because its less-then-stellar qualities are on the level of a ****** movie. It has nothing to do with Cameron being the director...If Michael Bay made movies like James Cameron does, Id be all over his jock too. The track record speaks for itself.

And you expect more from Cameron then just effects? Really? Cause his movies certainly aren't renowned for their wordplay or visceral plotlines.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Goosemahn View Post
The APS is strong in this one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by killxswitch View Post
Tears for Fears is better than whatever it is you happen to be thinking about right now.
A Perfect Score is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 02:44 AM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Jersey
Posts: 31,041
Reputation: 2810967
Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

I just finished New York, I Love You and it was interesting. Some scenes were better than others but I enjoyed it for the most part. It was an "artsy" movie done by many different directors. The cast was excellent throughout the whole film. Anyone else see it?
__________________
#Chop


sig by BoneKrusher
Giantsfan1080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 02:44 AM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Dropping Brady Passes
Posts: 17,506
Reputation: 5057637
Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Perfect Score View Post
Ummm ok, try and defend The Dark Knight but lets take away Heath Ledger. Or how about There Will Be Blood, but we wont have any Daniel Day Lewis. Or lets watch Pulp Fiction on mute so we don't have any of the dialogue.

See my point?

You can't remove an integral part of a movie and just say "defend it". NOBODY on this board, or anywhere for that matter, has praised Avatar for it's storyline or it's acting (which I didnt find to be subpar...In fact, I found Saldana to be downright excellent, along with Ribisi)...Its a revolutionary film because of its effects. Much in the same way The Matrix gave us 10 years of bullet time special effects shots, Avatar will inspire dozens of 3D films for years to come. Yes, that is revolutionary. And if Pocahontas had those effects and did that EXACT same thing, then hell yes I'd laud it and say the exact things Im saying about Avatar now. People didn't go watch Avatar because of the dialogue...they went to SEE the effects. Visual stimulation is whats most important in this scenario.

And please, dont give me the "boo hoo film buffs hate on movies" ********. Everyone knew Transformers 2 was garbage, and comparing it to Avatar is an insult to non-blind/deaf/stupid people everywhere. Avatar is being overly-criticized BECAUSE its popular, not because its less-then-stellar qualities are on the level of a ****** movie. It has nothing to do with Cameron being the director...If Michael Bay made movies like James Cameron does, Id be all over his jock too. The track record speaks for itself.

And you expect more from Cameron then just effects? Really? Cause his movies certainly aren't renowned for their wordplay or visceral plotlines.
Taking away acting/or a script isnt the same as taking away special effects. Special effects should never be the most important part of a movie, to me at least. I'm not saying it's not important at all, but to suggest that they are equally as important to good acting or an awesome script is silly, as its not as integral to a movie as what you mentioned is. So no, I dont see your point, because if we take what you just said, you clearly just defended my original point. Did anyone go see Transformers 2 for amazing acting or dialogue? No, they went to see giant robots Fight for two and a half hours with awesome effects. So, to go off of what your saying, the horrible plot holes, the god awful acting, shouldnt be taken into consideration here as those arent the point, its the " Visual stimulation" thats most important here .
So thank you for just proving the exact point I made, which was clearly the worst thing to have ever been said on this discussion board
__________________


Quote:
Originally Posted by WMD View Post
Jesse realizing Walt was Santa Claus could really shake things up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpngc View Post
I don't know how old you are, but if you can get to 24/25 without getting arrested or killed, you've done well for yourself lol.
Jvig43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 02:54 AM    (permalink
A Perfect Score
Resident Alcoholic
All-NFLDC
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 14,049
Reputation: 2256192
A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

No, because the "visual stimulation" in Transformers 2 wasn't any ******* good. It was noisy, crowded, ridiculous, confusing, and even the action sequences had plot holes (hello, giant sand sucking robot who sucks in cars but not people...) That two and a half hours of robot fighting was ******** cause no one knew who the **** was on which side. Also, Transformers heaven is one of the most god awful things I have ever witnessed on a screen of any kind. That ALONE means it should never be mentioned in the same sentence as Avatar.

Avatar was an effects driven film, so yes, its every bit as important as good acting or good story. Just because YOU PERSONALLY dont value effects as highly as you do acting or script doesnt mean they arent a crucial aspect of alot of films.

Quote:
but to suggest that they are equally as important to good acting or an awesome script is silly, as its not as integral to a movie as what you mentioned is.
And you are suggesting that the effects arent as important as acting or script? I doubt Avatar would of made 2 billion dollars if the entire background was a green screen. Just sayin'...

Your argument is ridiculous. I didn't prove your point at all...because the acting and script in Avatar weren't horrendous, a la Transformers. They were a vehicle used to transport the audience into the EFFECTS DRIVEN world Cameron created. So dont do that ZOMGZ I won ********, because that "visual stimulation" I was talking about in Avatar doesn't exist with Transformers 2, or G.I Joe, or any of the other ****** movies that get torn up by me and everyone else on here.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Goosemahn View Post
The APS is strong in this one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by killxswitch View Post
Tears for Fears is better than whatever it is you happen to be thinking about right now.
A Perfect Score is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 03:00 AM    (permalink
Caddy
Team Leader
Legend
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Aussie-Land
Posts: 20,930
Reputation: 2287858
Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Caddy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

APS... Moon sucks. Go!
__________________

Caddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 03:04 AM    (permalink
A Perfect Score
Resident Alcoholic
All-NFLDC
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 14,049
Reputation: 2256192
A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

Go fight a kangaroo, Aussie.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Goosemahn View Post
The APS is strong in this one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by killxswitch View Post
Tears for Fears is better than whatever it is you happen to be thinking about right now.
A Perfect Score is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 03:06 AM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
The Professor (Hall of Famer)
Legend
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota
Posts: 36,299
Reputation: 2341466
bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Perfect Score View Post
I doubt Avatar would of made 2 billion dollars if the entire background was a green screen. Just sayin'...
It's "would have", and just because something makes money doesn't mean it is good, it just means Americans spend money on dumb ****.
__________________


Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.
bearsfan_51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 03:07 AM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Jersey
Posts: 31,041
Reputation: 2810967
Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearsfan_51 View Post
It's "would have", and just because something makes money doesn't mean it is good, it just means Americans spend money on dumb ****.
It's not only Americans.
__________________
#Chop


sig by BoneKrusher
Giantsfan1080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 03:11 AM    (permalink
comahan
Pillow Hat Pal
All-NFLDC
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 13,271
Reputation: 1887041
comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

Before we get too carried away with the "Yea, the story sucks, but..." talk, I call BS. It didnt suck. It was simple, yes. It's been seen before, yes. But that doesnt change the fact that its a good ******* story.

You can take whatever the **** story you want - if theres a good storyteller behind it, then it will be at least passable.

And as simple as the plot is on paper, that cant even begin to describe the storytelling that goes on, on the screen, while no one says a damn word. Is that storytelling driven by effects? Yes. But its just as good of a way to get a story over to the audience as witty dialogue or facial reactions from the best actors in the world.

Not all effects driven movies are the same. Comparing Transformers 2 to Avatar because they were both visually driven is like comparing Pulp to a guy who tries to imitate a Kevin Smith movie by using dialogue, but just churns out **** while doing it.

You realize how many "heir to the throne" and "destroy the evil artifact!" stories there had been by 2001 when the LOTR movies came out? Yet people who had never read the books were sucked into the story because it was told well. There was backlash to LOTR for the same reasons btw, everytime they came out. The SAME EXACT stuff. Effects driven drivel that wouldnt be nearly as loved if it didnt have giant flame monsters and trolls, exposing it for being the weak rubbish that it really is. Why do I remember that? Because I was the one that was defending it every day.
__________________





Last edited by comahan : 02-15-2010 at 03:18 AM.
comahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 03:13 AM    (permalink
comahan
Pillow Hat Pal
All-NFLDC
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 13,271
Reputation: 1887041
comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearsfan_51 View Post
It's "would have", and just because something makes money doesn't mean it is good, it just means Americans spend money on dumb ****.
Completely unrelated to the argument, but if you completely take away the money it made domestically, then it still almost trumps Titanic for highest grossing film of all time at nearly 1.7 billion.
__________________




comahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 03:14 AM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Dropping Brady Passes
Posts: 17,506
Reputation: 5057637
Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Perfect Score View Post
No, because the "visual stimulation" in Transformers 2 wasn't any ******* good. It was noisy, crowded, ridiculous, confusing, and even the action sequences had plot holes (hello, giant sand sucking robot who sucks in cars but not people...) That two and a half hours of robot fighting was ******** cause no one knew who the **** was on which side. Also, Transformers heaven is one of the most god awful things I have ever witnessed on a screen of any kind. That ALONE means it should never be mentioned in the same sentence as Avatar.

Avatar was an effects driven film, so yes, its every bit as important as good acting or good story. Just because YOU PERSONALLY dont value effects as highly as you do acting or script doesnt mean they arent a crucial aspect of alot of films.



And you are suggesting that the effects arent as important as acting or script? I doubt Avatar would of made 2 billion dollars if the entire background was a green screen. Just sayin'...

Your argument is ridiculous. I didn't prove your point at all...because the acting and script in Avatar weren't horrendous, a la Transformers. They were a vehicle used to transport the audience into the EFFECTS DRIVEN world Cameron created. So dont do that ZOMGZ I won ********, because that "visual stimulation" I was talking about in Avatar doesn't exist with Transformers 2, or G.I Joe, or any of the other ****** movies that get torn up by me and everyone else on here.
So had Transformers 2 had the same visual effects that Avatar had, it would have been ok for the plot and acting to suck because the effects are ******* amazing? Or are you saying that since Avatar, had a plot that has been done multiple times, had decent acting, and fewer plot holes then that of Transformers 2 it makes it a a great movie? I am not saying that Transformers 2 was by any means good, it was honestly the worst thing I've seen this year. However, Transformers 2, as horrible as the plot and acting were, still served as a "vehicle" to drive along an "EFFECTS DRIVEN" plot, so I still dont see your point. Sure it was horrible, but horrible, and overly done cliche plots really arent anything to be basing your entire argument off of. If it's all about driving a movie forward to show off how much money a company can spend on effects, then they should just start making movies without professional actors, or directors, and just shooting a dog pissing on a tree. And stop with the exaggerated ZOMGS, and etc... I havent resorted to that just because I think your arguments are ridiculous either.
__________________


Quote:
Originally Posted by WMD View Post
Jesse realizing Walt was Santa Claus could really shake things up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpngc View Post
I don't know how old you are, but if you can get to 24/25 without getting arrested or killed, you've done well for yourself lol.
Jvig43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 03:15 AM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
The Professor (Hall of Famer)
Legend
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Minneapolis, Minnesota
Posts: 36,299
Reputation: 2341466
bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

Fair enough, everyone buys dumb ****.
__________________


Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.
bearsfan_51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 03:18 AM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Dropping Brady Passes
Posts: 17,506
Reputation: 5057637
Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearsfan_51 View Post
Fair enough, everyone buys dumb ****.
Snuggies = best invention ever because they are now selling well
__________________


Quote:
Originally Posted by WMD View Post
Jesse realizing Walt was Santa Claus could really shake things up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpngc View Post
I don't know how old you are, but if you can get to 24/25 without getting arrested or killed, you've done well for yourself lol.
Jvig43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 03:20 AM    (permalink
A Perfect Score
Resident Alcoholic
All-NFLDC
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 14,049
Reputation: 2256192
A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.A Perfect Score is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jvig43 View Post
So had Transformers 2 had the same visual effects that Avatar had, it would have been ok for the plot and acting to suck because the effects are ******* amazing? Or are you saying that since Avatar, had a plot that has been done multiple times, had decent acting, and fewer plot holes then that of Transformers 2 it makes it a a great movie? I am not saying that Transformers 2 was by any means good, it was honestly the worst thing I've seen this year. However, Transformers 2, as horrible as the plot and acting were, still served as a "vehicle" to drive along an "EFFECTS DRIVEN" plot, so I still dont see your point. Sure it was horrible, but horrible, and overly done cliche plots really arent anything to be basing your entire argument off of. If it's all about driving a movie forward to show off how much money a company can spend on effects, then they should just start making movies without professional actors, or directors, and just shooting a dog pissing on a tree. And stop with the exaggerated ZOMGS, and etc... I havent resorted to that just because I think your arguments are ridiculous either.
So wait...I can't base an anti-Transformers argument on its terrible cliched plot...isnt that exactly what your anti-Avatar argument is based on, its cliched plot and subpar acting?

And BF, the argument was much less about the money and more about the fact that special effects can be just as vital to a film as dialogue or acting. To think otherwise, especially when talking about a movie like Avatar thats 50% CGI, is stupid.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Goosemahn View Post
The APS is strong in this one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by killxswitch View Post
Tears for Fears is better than whatever it is you happen to be thinking about right now.
A Perfect Score is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 03:21 AM    (permalink
comahan
Pillow Hat Pal
All-NFLDC
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 13,271
Reputation: 1887041
comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jvig43 View Post
So had Transformers 2 had the same visual effects that Avatar had, it would have been ok for the plot and acting to suck because the effects are ******* amazing? Or are you saying that since Avatar, had a plot that has been done multiple times, had decent acting, and fewer plot holes then that of Transformers 2 it makes it a a great movie? I am not saying that Transformers 2 was by any means good, it was honestly the worst thing I've seen this year. However, Transformers 2, as horrible as the plot and acting were, still served as a "vehicle" to drive along an "EFFECTS DRIVEN" plot, so I still dont see your point. Sure it was horrible, but horrible, and overly done cliche plots really arent anything to be basing your entire argument off of. If it's all about driving a movie forward to show off how much money a company can spend on effects, then they should just start making movies without professional actors, or directors, and just shooting a dog pissing on a tree. And stop with the exaggerated ZOMGS, and etc... I havent resorted to that just because I think your arguments are ridiculous either.
Again, theyre not the same at all. Cameron was telling a story with his effects, every scene was full of life while not being overly cluttered and ridiculous. Bay just blew stuff up and had pointless effect after pointless effect.

Disclaimer, since im sure youll point out again that everyone who likes Avatar is only of that opinion because theyre riding Cameron's dick; I dont like any of his movies except T2.
__________________




comahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 03:35 AM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Dropping Brady Passes
Posts: 17,506
Reputation: 5057637
Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by comahan View Post
Again, theyre not the same at all. Cameron was telling a story with his effects, every scene was full of life while not being overly cluttered and ridiculous. Bay just blew stuff up and had pointless effect after pointless effect.

Disclaimer, since im sure youll point out again that everyone who likes Avatar is only of that opinion because theyre riding Cameron's dick; I dont like any of his movies except T2.
Again, the fact that I compared Transformers 2 to Avatar was to prove a point, not to suggest that what Bay did was the same as what cameron did. And the point I made about the love cameron is getting was a very small part of my point, but lets neg rep me for having a different opinion Comahan...... oh wait.


And APS, the bolded I was referring to Transformers 2 as having a stupid plot and Avatar as the cliche. My point was that, and apparently I'm the only one who feels this way, is I dont find movies to be anything special when a movie is based solely around having amazing visuals without a decent plot and ok acting. My original post with the reference to transformers being nominated was solely to prove that Avatar is not a good enough movie to win Best picture because of its effects alone. It was the only thing that came to mind when thinking of another big hit with good effects.
__________________


Quote:
Originally Posted by WMD View Post
Jesse realizing Walt was Santa Claus could really shake things up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpngc View Post
I don't know how old you are, but if you can get to 24/25 without getting arrested or killed, you've done well for yourself lol.
Jvig43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 03:44 AM    (permalink
comahan
Pillow Hat Pal
All-NFLDC
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 13,271
Reputation: 1887041
comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

I didnt neg rep for you a differing opinion, Brent doesnt like Avatar, PL doesnt like it either, so on and so forth. Didnt do anything to them. I just thought most of the points you made were pretty ridiculous and well, neg worthy.

That, and I havent red squared many people recently. I was a bit thirsty for blood. No worries now though, the feeding is over and my eyes are once again a topaz color! (yessss, I fit in a twilight reference! boosh)

Seriously though, Ill plus you back soon if it means that much to you. (no thats not a sarcastic comment, just adding this so it doesnt get taken that way)
__________________





Last edited by comahan : 02-15-2010 at 03:47 AM.
comahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 03:46 AM    (permalink
Job
Pro Bowler
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Sexy Rexy's cannon arms.
Posts: 4,321
Reputation: 324507
Job is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Job is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Job is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Job is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Job is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Job is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Job is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Job is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Job is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Job is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Job is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by comahan View Post
yessss, I fit in a twilight reference! boosh
That would be deserving of a neg rep retaliation!
Job is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 03:47 AM    (permalink
comahan
Pillow Hat Pal
All-NFLDC
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 13,271
Reputation: 1887041
comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.comahan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Job View Post
That would be deserving of a neg rep retaliation!
Im a rebel! Ill make twilight references when I damn well please!
__________________




comahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 03:50 AM    (permalink
Jvig43
Icon
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Dropping Brady Passes
Posts: 17,506
Reputation: 5057637
Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jvig43 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by comahan View Post
I didnt neg rep for you a differing opinion, Brent doesnt like Avatar, PL doesnt like it either, so on and so forth. Didnt do anything to them. I just thought most of the points you made were pretty ridiculous and well, neg worthy.

That, and I havent red squared many people recently. I was a bit thirsty for blood. No worries now though, the feeding is over and my eyes are once again a topaz color! (yessss, I fit in a twilight reference! boosh)

Seriously though, Ill plus you back soon if it means that much to you. (no thats not a sarcastic comment, just adding this so it doesnt get taken that way)
No its fine, I just was trying to have a conversation about what I originally had posted, and still think my point about special effects to an average movie are still pretty relative, but thats me. And just to be clear, i dont want people thinking I was doing anything but using another effects driven movie to prove a point about Avatar, I'm not a Transformers 2 fan by any means.
__________________


Quote:
Originally Posted by WMD View Post
Jesse realizing Walt was Santa Claus could really shake things up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpngc View Post
I don't know how old you are, but if you can get to 24/25 without getting arrested or killed, you've done well for yourself lol.
Jvig43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:52 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.