Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2007, 01:07 AM    (permalink
njx9
Suck it Rob
All-NFLDC
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 12,938
Reputation: 6046786
njx9 has disabled reputation
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by San Diego Chicken
But most would agree QB is a more important position.
the ravens wouldn't. i'm not really sure the steelers would. i'm not entirely sure the bucs would, although they might've made a weak case.

Quote:
And I would rather have Reggie Bush on my team than Mario Williams, that's just the way I feel about the two guys after watching them in college.
i believe this thread had to do with hindsight, suggesting that the evaluation would be made after a year of NFL ball? in which case i don't believe you could convince me that mario williams was less valuable to the texans than bush was to the saints, moreso considering that the texans had far more holes than the saints did. i can agree to disagree, but i don't understand that argument at all.

Quote:
I just think Bush is flat out better and would have helped Houston win more this year
sorry to snip, but the rest is conjecture and an "yes he will!" "no he won't!" argument would get boring quickly. how, exactly, would reggie bush have helped houston more this year? do you honestly believe demeco ryans would've made ANY plays with the texans d-line without williams? i'm interested as to why and how.

Quote:
I'm not arguing that offense is more important than defense. It's not.
well, we agree on something.
njx9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 02:13 AM    (permalink
San Diego Chicken
Pro Bowler
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 2,157
Reputation: 100841
San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9
Quote:
Originally Posted by San Diego Chicken
But most would agree QB is a more important position.
the ravens wouldn't. i'm not really sure the steelers would. i'm not entirely sure the bucs would, although they might've made a weak case.

Quote:
And I would rather have Reggie Bush on my team than Mario Williams, that's just the way I feel about the two guys after watching them in college.
i believe this thread had to do with hindsight, suggesting that the evaluation would be made after a year of NFL ball? in which case i don't believe you could convince me that mario williams was less valuable to the texans than bush was to the saints, moreso considering that the texans had far more holes than the saints did. i can agree to disagree, but i don't understand that argument at all.

Quote:
I just think Bush is flat out better and would have helped Houston win more this year
sorry to snip, but the rest is conjecture and an "yes he will!" "no he won't!" argument would get boring quickly. how, exactly, would reggie bush have helped houston more this year? do you honestly believe demeco ryans would've made ANY plays with the texans d-line without williams? i'm interested as to why and how.

Quote:
I'm not arguing that offense is more important than defense. It's not.
well, we agree on something.

Why wouldnt the Ravens agree? Is it a cooincidence that they had their best record in franchise history when they finally acquired a consistent veteran QB? Do you really think the Steelers win last year without Roethlisberger? He was outstanding in the first three rounds of the playoffs last year; there is a reason why they couldn't win with Kordell Stewart. Besides, those teams create more pressure with their linebackers anyway, they don't rely on a 4 man rush.

Houston needs more playmakers, both on the ground and in the passing game. Bush helps you in both areas and so does Young. Would Ryans have made as big of an impact without Williams? I really don't know. Did Williams really command that much attention to where all the credit given to Ryans should go to Williams? I'm not sure. In the (admittedly few) Texans games that I watched, that didn't appear to be the case. I did however notice that their offensive line had improved over years past, but could generate no big plays.
__________________
aka KGB Chicken
San Diego Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 08:45 AM    (permalink
eacantdraft
Pro Bowler
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 2,137
Reputation: -170
eacantdraft smells like sex panther.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9
Quote:
Originally Posted by San Diego Chicken
I just want to point out though, that a defense wins a championship by playing as a collective unit. One defensive player does not make a defense, it's about finding a group of players to fit your scheme. If a defensive end was the most important position on the field, then Deacon Jones would be considered the greatest football player to ever live.
i'm sure you see how this could easily be swapped out with offense. great quarterbacks don't guarantee championships. ask marino. great running backs definitely don't. ask payton why he finally won one. or sayers why he didn't. or jim brown for that matter. or, if you'd like to get current, ask LT where his is.

bottom line, i don't buy for one second that anyone can succesfully make the argument that DE is a less important position than, say, RB or that it should necessarily be drafted any lower.
Ok Mr. football genius. Jim Brown did win a championship. He just was never able to get that Super Bowl ring. Wonder why that was? :roll:

And I would love to see anyone ask Payton why he finally got one. I know where someone can get a million dollars (courtesy of the Amazing Randy) if anyone can prove they can ask Payton why he finally got one. :roll:

You got pwned yet again.
eacantdraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 08:56 AM    (permalink
jag
Veteran
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Not in Jacksonville
Posts: 1,889
Reputation: 10701
jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jag is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by eacantdraft
Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9
Quote:
Originally Posted by San Diego Chicken
I just want to point out though, that a defense wins a championship by playing as a collective unit. One defensive player does not make a defense, it's about finding a group of players to fit your scheme. If a defensive end was the most important position on the field, then Deacon Jones would be considered the greatest football player to ever live.
i'm sure you see how this could easily be swapped out with offense. great quarterbacks don't guarantee championships. ask marino. great running backs definitely don't. ask payton why he finally won one. or sayers why he didn't. or jim brown for that matter. or, if you'd like to get current, ask LT where his is.

bottom line, i don't buy for one second that anyone can succesfully make the argument that DE is a less important position than, say, RB or that it should necessarily be drafted any lower.
Ok Mr. football genius. Jim Brown did win a championship. He just was never able to get that Super Bowl ring. Wonder why that was? :roll:

And I would love to see anyone ask Payton why he finally got one. I know where someone can get a million dollars (courtesy of the Amazing Randy) if anyone can prove they can ask Payton why he finally got one. :roll:

You got pwned yet again.
Dude, you proved nothing, and just made yourself look like an ass.
EDIT: my bad I forgot to add a :roll:
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_Chris View Post
It's just a ******* dog By Michael Vick
Check out the Dailyer Nebraskan
http://www.dailyernebraskan.com
421 Witness
756*
jag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 09:10 AM    (permalink
eacantdraft
Pro Bowler
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 2,137
Reputation: -170
eacantdraft smells like sex panther.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jag
Quote:
Originally Posted by eacantdraft
Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9
Quote:
Originally Posted by San Diego Chicken
I just want to point out though, that a defense wins a championship by playing as a collective unit. One defensive player does not make a defense, it's about finding a group of players to fit your scheme. If a defensive end was the most important position on the field, then Deacon Jones would be considered the greatest football player to ever live.
i'm sure you see how this could easily be swapped out with offense. great quarterbacks don't guarantee championships. ask marino. great running backs definitely don't. ask payton why he finally won one. or sayers why he didn't. or jim brown for that matter. or, if you'd like to get current, ask LT where his is.

bottom line, i don't buy for one second that anyone can succesfully make the argument that DE is a less important position than, say, RB or that it should necessarily be drafted any lower.
Ok Mr. football genius. Jim Brown did win a championship. He just was never able to get that Super Bowl ring. Wonder why that was? :roll:

And I would love to see anyone ask Payton why he finally got one. I know where someone can get a million dollars (courtesy of the Amazing Randy) if anyone can prove they can ask Payton why he finally got one. :roll:

You got pwned yet again.
Dude, you proved nothing, and just made yourself look like an ass.
EDIT: my bad I forgot to add a :roll:
What did I need to prove? I'm not the ass who said Jim Brown didn't win a championship or thought I could ask Walter Payton why he finally won a championship.
eacantdraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 09:19 AM    (permalink
eacantdraft
Pro Bowler
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 2,137
Reputation: -170
eacantdraft smells like sex panther.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by San Diego Chicken
Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9
Quote:
Originally Posted by San Diego Chicken
But most would agree QB is a more important position.
the ravens wouldn't. i'm not really sure the steelers would. i'm not entirely sure the bucs would, although they might've made a weak case.

Quote:
And I would rather have Reggie Bush on my team than Mario Williams, that's just the way I feel about the two guys after watching them in college.
i believe this thread had to do with hindsight, suggesting that the evaluation would be made after a year of NFL ball? in which case i don't believe you could convince me that mario williams was less valuable to the texans than bush was to the saints, moreso considering that the texans had far more holes than the saints did. i can agree to disagree, but i don't understand that argument at all.

Quote:
I just think Bush is flat out better and would have helped Houston win more this year
sorry to snip, but the rest is conjecture and an "yes he will!" "no he won't!" argument would get boring quickly. how, exactly, would reggie bush have helped houston more this year? do you honestly believe demeco ryans would've made ANY plays with the texans d-line without williams? i'm interested as to why and how.

Quote:
I'm not arguing that offense is more important than defense. It's not.
well, we agree on something.

Why wouldnt the Ravens agree? Is it a cooincidence that they had their best record in franchise history when they finally acquired a consistent veteran QB? Do you really think the Steelers win last year without Roethlisberger? He was outstanding in the first three rounds of the playoffs last year; there is a reason why they couldn't win with Kordell Stewart. Besides, those teams create more pressure with their linebackers anyway, they don't rely on a 4 man rush.

Houston needs more playmakers, both on the ground and in the passing game. Bush helps you in both areas and so does Young. Would Ryans have made as big of an impact without Williams? I really don't know. Did Williams really command that much attention to where all the credit given to Ryans should go to Williams? I'm not sure. In the (admittedly few) Texans games that I watched, that didn't appear to be the case. I did however notice that their offensive line had improved over years past, but could generate no big plays.
njx9 is an Eli fangirl. They don't like it when other QB's of their draft class have a better career than their dreamboat. That is why they try to put down other players who are better than their boy.
eacantdraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 11:38 AM    (permalink
MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
All-NFLDC
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: KO-V>O-V
Posts: 14,841
Reputation: 1045649
MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by eacantdraft
Quote:
Originally Posted by San Diego Chicken
Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9
Quote:
Originally Posted by San Diego Chicken
But most would agree QB is a more important position.
the ravens wouldn't. i'm not really sure the steelers would. i'm not entirely sure the bucs would, although they might've made a weak case.

Quote:
And I would rather have Reggie Bush on my team than Mario Williams, that's just the way I feel about the two guys after watching them in college.
i believe this thread had to do with hindsight, suggesting that the evaluation would be made after a year of NFL ball? in which case i don't believe you could convince me that mario williams was less valuable to the texans than bush was to the saints, moreso considering that the texans had far more holes than the saints did. i can agree to disagree, but i don't understand that argument at all.

Quote:
I just think Bush is flat out better and would have helped Houston win more this year
sorry to snip, but the rest is conjecture and an "yes he will!" "no he won't!" argument would get boring quickly. how, exactly, would reggie bush have helped houston more this year? do you honestly believe demeco ryans would've made ANY plays with the texans d-line without williams? i'm interested as to why and how.

Quote:
I'm not arguing that offense is more important than defense. It's not.
well, we agree on something.

Why wouldnt the Ravens agree? Is it a cooincidence that they had their best record in franchise history when they finally acquired a consistent veteran QB? Do you really think the Steelers win last year without Roethlisberger? He was outstanding in the first three rounds of the playoffs last year; there is a reason why they couldn't win with Kordell Stewart. Besides, those teams create more pressure with their linebackers anyway, they don't rely on a 4 man rush.

Houston needs more playmakers, both on the ground and in the passing game. Bush helps you in both areas and so does Young. Would Ryans have made as big of an impact without Williams? I really don't know. Did Williams really command that much attention to where all the credit given to Ryans should go to Williams? I'm not sure. In the (admittedly few) Texans games that I watched, that didn't appear to be the case. I did however notice that their offensive line had improved over years past, but could generate no big plays.
njx9 is an Eli fangirl. They don't like it when other QB's of their draft class have a better career than their dreamboat. That is why they try to put down other players who are better than their boy.
Yeah, njx is a crazy, delusional Giants homer.
__________________


Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
Terrellezzzzzzzz Pryorzzzzzzzz!
Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
do i tell you when to flip the burger?
MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 12:32 PM    (permalink
njx9
Suck it Rob
All-NFLDC
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 12,938
Reputation: 6046786
njx9 has disabled reputation
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by eacantdraft
Ok Mr. football genius. Jim Brown did win a championship. He just was never able to get that Super Bowl ring. Wonder why that was? :roll:
1964 the browns won the pre-merger NFL championship. but i thought jim brown was the best running back ever, and if running back is the single most important football position on the team, he should've carried them to a championship every year? right?

further, were you able to, you know, process written words, you would've realized the word i used was "championships" thus, trying to imply i'm an idiot for asking why he didn't win a super bowl isn't really meaningful and simply makes you look illiterate.
njx9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 12:34 PM    (permalink
njx9
Suck it Rob
All-NFLDC
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 12,938
Reputation: 6046786
njx9 has disabled reputation
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by eacantdraft
njx9 is an Eli fangirl. They don't like it when other QB's of their draft class have a better career than their dreamboat. That is why they try to put down other players who are better than their boy.
what in the hell does that have to do with a conversation about mario williams? i'll even ignore that the comment itself was wrong, and we'll simply address the fact that it was completely irrelevant to the conversation at hand and is yet more evidence of your complete infatuation with a quarterback whose name you feel obligated to drag into every single thread.
njx9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 12:54 PM    (permalink
njx9
Suck it Rob
All-NFLDC
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 12,938
Reputation: 6046786
njx9 has disabled reputation
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by San Diego Chicken
Why wouldnt the Ravens agree? Is it a cooincidence that they had their best record in franchise history when they finally acquired a consistent veteran QB?
you're saying trent dilfer had a big part in their super bowl victory? maybe, but in his 9 games in 2000, he was pretty mediocre.

Quote:
Do you really think the Steelers win last year without Roethlisberger? He was outstanding in the first three rounds of the playoffs last year; there is a reason why they couldn't win with Kordell Stewart.
do i think they win without him going 9/21 with 2 ints? yeah, i think they probably could've managed to give the ball to bettis and parker all game. perhaps the difference there was parker? or maybe it was polamalu?

Quote:
Besides, those teams create more pressure with their linebackers anyway, they don't rely on a 4 man rush.
this year's ravens actually generated more sacks from their defensive line. i would be interested in seeing numbers from some of those other systems if you have them.

Quote:
Houston needs more playmakers, both on the ground and in the passing game. Bush helps you in both areas and so does Young.
as far as i could tell, houston needed talent across the board. how did baltimore and tampa build their team for their super bowls again? how many "playmakers" has new england had on offense this decade? how many super bowls did uber-playmaker Terrell Owens win?

Quote:
Would Ryans have made as big of an impact without Williams? I really don't know. Did Williams really command that much attention to where all the credit given to Ryans should go to Williams? I'm not sure. In the (admittedly few) Texans games that I watched, that didn't appear to be the case. I did however notice that their offensive line had improved over years past, but could generate no big plays.
*shrug* most of that isn't really worth arguing for reasons previously stated in this thread, but they bear thinking about. their offensive line improved but david carr (from what i saw) failed completely to bother looking downfield. ever.

here's the point: as of right now, i don't believe for one second that anyone can make a convincing argument (as demonstrated so far) for vince young or reggie bush over mario. in 2 years that may completely change and i'll line up to eat crow. but as of right this minute, i don't buy that either reggie bush's mediocre rushing numbers or vince young's mediocre passing numbers can be said to be obviously or even vaguely better than the effect mario williams appeared to have on the defensive unit.
njx9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 01:11 PM    (permalink
eacantdraft
Pro Bowler
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 2,137
Reputation: -170
eacantdraft smells like sex panther.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9
Quote:
Originally Posted by eacantdraft
Ok Mr. football genius. Jim Brown did win a championship. He just was never able to get that Super Bowl ring. Wonder why that was? :roll:
1964 the browns won the pre-merger NFL championship. but i thought jim brown was the best running back ever, and if running back is the single most important football position on the team, he should've carried them to a championship every year? right?

further, were you able to, you know, process written words, you would've realized the word i used was "championships" thus, trying to imply i'm an idiot for asking why he didn't win a super bowl isn't really meaningful and simply makes you look illiterate.
Hey, you were the one who inplied that Jim Brown did not win a championship.
Quote:
i'm sure you see how this could easily be swapped out with offense. great quarterbacks don't guarantee championships. ask marino. great running backs definitely don't. ask payton why he finally won one. or sayers why he didn't. or jim brown for that matter. or, if you'd like to get current, ask LT where his is.
I decided to give you the correct facts. And I still would like to see you or anyone else ask Walter Payton why he won one. Maybe when you are talking to Walter, you can also ask Babe Ruth whether he called that homerun against the Cubs.
eacantdraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 01:19 PM    (permalink
njx9
Suck it Rob
All-NFLDC
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 12,938
Reputation: 6046786
njx9 has disabled reputation
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by eacantdraft
Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9
Quote:
Originally Posted by eacantdraft
Ok Mr. football genius. Jim Brown did win a championship. He just was never able to get that Super Bowl ring. Wonder why that was? :roll:
1964 the browns won the pre-merger NFL championship. but i thought jim brown was the best running back ever, and if running back is the single most important football position on the team, he should've carried them to a championship every year? right?

further, were you able to, you know, process written words, you would've realized the word i used was "championships" thus, trying to imply i'm an idiot for asking why he didn't win a super bowl isn't really meaningful and simply makes you look illiterate.
Hey, you were the one who inplied that Jim Brown did not win a championship.
sure, it was a poorly worded question. hooray.

Quote:
I decided to give you the correct facts. And I still would like to see you or anyone else ask Walter Payton why he won one. Maybe when you are talking to Walter, you can also ask Babe Ruth whether he called that homerun against the Cubs.
walter payton's answer may have had something to do with his team having had one of the best defenses ever. but yeah, i'm sure it's because his team drafted only playmakers.
njx9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 01:20 PM    (permalink
eacantdraft
Pro Bowler
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 2,137
Reputation: -170
eacantdraft smells like sex panther.
Default

Quote:
do i think they win without him going 9/21 with 2 ints? yeah, i think they probably could've managed to give the ball to bettis and parker all game. perhaps the difference there was parker? or maybe it was polamalu?
Keep thinking that. It was Ben that made the deep pass to near the goal line after which he ran it in. Pittsburgh made the plays, Seattle couldn't. Seattle acted like the game was won between the 20's not in the red zone.
eacantdraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 04:28 PM    (permalink
San Diego Chicken
Pro Bowler
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 2,157
Reputation: 100841
San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.San Diego Chicken is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9
Quote:
Originally Posted by San Diego Chicken
Why wouldnt the Ravens agree? Is it a cooincidence that they had their best record in franchise history when they finally acquired a consistent veteran QB?
you're saying trent dilfer had a big part in their super bowl victory? maybe, but in his 9 games in 2000, he was pretty mediocre.

Quote:
Do you really think the Steelers win last year without Roethlisberger? He was outstanding in the first three rounds of the playoffs last year; there is a reason why they couldn't win with Kordell Stewart.
do i think they win without him going 9/21 with 2 ints? yeah, i think they probably could've managed to give the ball to bettis and parker all game. perhaps the difference there was parker? or maybe it was polamalu?

Quote:
Besides, those teams create more pressure with their linebackers anyway, they don't rely on a 4 man rush.
this year's ravens actually generated more sacks from their defensive line. i would be interested in seeing numbers from some of those other systems if you have them.

Quote:
Houston needs more playmakers, both on the ground and in the passing game. Bush helps you in both areas and so does Young.
as far as i could tell, houston needed talent across the board. how did baltimore and tampa build their team for their super bowls again? how many "playmakers" has new england had on offense this decade? how many super bowls did uber-playmaker Terrell Owens win?

Quote:
Would Ryans have made as big of an impact without Williams? I really don't know. Did Williams really command that much attention to where all the credit given to Ryans should go to Williams? I'm not sure. In the (admittedly few) Texans games that I watched, that didn't appear to be the case. I did however notice that their offensive line had improved over years past, but could generate no big plays.
*shrug* most of that isn't really worth arguing for reasons previously stated in this thread, but they bear thinking about. their offensive line improved but david carr (from what i saw) failed completely to bother looking downfield. ever.

here's the point: as of right now, i don't believe for one second that anyone can make a convincing argument (as demonstrated so far) for vince young or reggie bush over mario. in 2 years that may completely change and i'll line up to eat crow. but as of right this minute, i don't buy that either reggie bush's mediocre rushing numbers or vince young's mediocre passing numbers can be said to be obviously or even vaguely better than the effect mario williams appeared to have on the defensive unit.
I believe you're putting things in rather improper context. While the ultimate goal of any team is to win a super bowl, the immediate goal for a struggling team like the Texans is respectibility. Therefore, listing off the great offensive players that didn't win super bowls is misleading and sort of propagandist - many great defensive players didn't win Super Bowls either. Even Terrell Owens has his team in the playoffs more often than not.

Going back to the specific examples, the Steelers likely don't make it out of Cincinnati without Roethlisberger. They definitely don't make it out of Indianapolis without Roethlisberger, and you should know that Roethlisberger was brilliant in the Denver win. The 2000 Ravens defense was an extremely rare phenomenon. That defense was so good that they really didn't need a quality QB, but they did need a solid running game. That quality of a defense comes around once every 20 years.

I agree that Houston needed talent across the board. They could have gone any number of directions with their first pick. Having said that, if you don't plan on trading down, why not go for the consensus best player available, especially the ones who will generate excitement around your franchise and give your fans hope?
__________________
aka KGB Chicken
San Diego Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 04:37 PM    (permalink
NYGIANTSFAN_UK
 
Posts: n/a
Reputation:
Default

The Texans had so many holes at that time and RB and QB were not amongst them, so I think they were right to draft Mario Williams.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 06:12 PM    (permalink
SterlingSharpe
 
Posts: n/a
Reputation:
Default

I think the most accurate answer would be if this question was posed in the TEXANS forum.
Those guys watched more of their games than we all did.

All I DO KNOW is that Super Mario did not even dominate the ACC last year.
I know that Vince and Bush DID dominate the whole NCAA and led their teams to titles. I also know that Reggie Bush was the most electric RB I had seen since Barry Sanders in 1988. And I had never seen a QB like Vince Young, although Vick was close against Florida State. But Vince got it done in the end.

I still don't see anything SPECIAL about Mario Williams other than his combine numbers.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 06:23 PM    (permalink
49ersfan_87
Pro Bowler
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 3,461
Reputation: 175801
49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.49ersfan_87 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

Wasnt mario williams dubbed as a lawrence taylor/julius peppers type hybrid player? Id take a chance on that.

At the time they thought that carr and davis (now williams) would be good for them. But carr still sucks, and their RB is injury prone. Besides, their defense is terrible, they wanted to start where it counts, the trenches.

And williams didnt have a bad year. He still had something like 4.5 sacks and a few hurries and FF. Not every rookie DE is going to be a monster. Besides, hasnt he been playing hurt lately?
49ersfan_87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 06:33 PM    (permalink
marks01234
Veteran
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 1,349
Reputation: 21252
marks01234 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marks01234 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marks01234 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marks01234 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marks01234 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marks01234 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marks01234 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marks01234 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marks01234 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marks01234 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marks01234 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

I can't believe some people are questioning the Texans pick with Bush.
marks01234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 06:35 PM    (permalink
njx9
Suck it Rob
All-NFLDC
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 12,938
Reputation: 6046786
njx9 has disabled reputation
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SterlingSharpe
All I DO KNOW is that Super Mario did not even dominate the ACC last year.
and you've STILL presented nothing that implies postseason awards have any bearing on a player's NFL ability.

what's further funny is that every texans fan i've seen reply to this thread thinks you're wrong.
njx9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 07:11 PM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: The Lynn Swan of SWDC Hall of Fame
Posts: 18,270
Reputation: 210983
Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9
Quote:
Originally Posted by SterlingSharpe
All I DO KNOW is that Super Mario did not even dominate the ACC last year.
and you've STILL presented nothing that implies postseason awards have any bearing on a player's NFL ability.

what's further funny is that every texans fan i've seen reply to this thread thinks you're wrong.

I love the "Mario didn't dominate the ACC."

:roll:
  • Mario Williams: 62 tackles, 14.5 sacks, 2 forced fumbles, 1 blocked kick, 1 safety, 4 fumble recoveries

    Julius Peppers: 63 tackles, 9.5 sacks, 1 forced fumble and 3 interceptions

If you think Mario Williams was a bad pick, you must have thought Peppers was a reach too. Because Williams was even more dominant than Peppers, in their junior seasons, in the same conference. Besides; Peppers even had a redshirt season over Mario, so he was more experienced and developed. Williams just now reached his size potential, he played at 260-lbs as a sophomore, 280-lbs as a junior, and 295-lbs as a pro.
__________________

Shiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 08:11 PM    (permalink
SterlingSharpe
 
Posts: n/a
Reputation:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9
Quote:
Originally Posted by SterlingSharpe
All I DO KNOW is that Super Mario did not even dominate the ACC last year.
and you've STILL presented nothing that implies postseason awards have any bearing on a player's NFL ability.

what's further funny is that every texans fan i've seen reply to this thread thinks you're wrong.
POST-SEASON AWARDS are given for PLAYING PERFORMANCE.
You don't see any correlation there?
Why was LaDanian Tomlinson just given a post-season award? BECAUSE he dominated the NFL this season.

If there were 3 better guys on defense IN THE ACC that season than Mario, why would he then dominate the NFL? Because he ran fast in Indianapolis at the combine for a large guy? He always ran fast in college too. Did he dominate and win awards for it?
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 08:22 PM    (permalink
MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
All-NFLDC
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: KO-V>O-V
Posts: 14,841
Reputation: 1045649
MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SterlingSharpe
Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9
Quote:
Originally Posted by SterlingSharpe
All I DO KNOW is that Super Mario did not even dominate the ACC last year.
and you've STILL presented nothing that implies postseason awards have any bearing on a player's NFL ability.

what's further funny is that every texans fan i've seen reply to this thread thinks you're wrong.
POST-SEASON AWARDS are given for PLAYING PERFORMANCE.
You don't see any correlation there?
Why was LaDanian Tomlinson just given a post-season award? BECAUSE he dominated the NFL this season.

If there were 3 better guys on defense IN THE ACC that season than Mario, why would he then dominate the NFL? Because he ran fast in Indianapolis at the combine for a large guy? He always ran fast in college too. Did he dominate and win awards for it?
Well first off, he meant postseason awards in college. They're meaningless. Jason White, Heisman, not in the league.Ernest Shazor, Thorpe, undrafted. Mik Hass, Biletnikoff, Bears Practice squad.

Second of all, Shiver proved that he dominated more than Peppers, widely considered the NFL's best DE.
__________________


Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
Terrellezzzzzzzz Pryorzzzzzzzz!
Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
do i tell you when to flip the burger?
MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 08:28 PM    (permalink
smittyjs
All-Pro
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Hendersonville, VYisaGod
Posts: 9,305
Reputation: 128139
smittyjs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.smittyjs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.smittyjs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.smittyjs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.smittyjs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.smittyjs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.smittyjs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.smittyjs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.smittyjs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.smittyjs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.smittyjs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SterlingSharpe
I think the most accurate answer would be if this question was posed in the TEXANS forum.
Those guys watched more of their games than we all did.

All I DO KNOW is that Super Mario did not even dominate the ACC last year.
I know that Vince and Bush DID dominate the whole NCAA and led their teams to titles. I also know that Reggie Bush was the most electric RB I had seen since Barry Sanders in 1988. And I had never seen a QB like Vince Young, although Vick was close against Florida State. But Vince got it done in the end.

I still don't see anything SPECIAL about Mario Williams other than his combine numbers.
That why you don't take player based on there college production only, potential is the most important part, Bush in zone blocking wouldn't have did much for me, and he haven't proved anymore than Williams at this point. Carr looked like the future during the draft last year, you can now make a point with them taking VY now. But i still Mario being a great pick, he may not be a superstar, but he will be a top player in the NFL in four or five years.
__________________

Jay Cutler>Matt Leinart>>>>danman253
XBL GT smitty js Go Vandy!!!!!!
Chris Johnson son!!!!!!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JoUr82vUx60
http://www.bangcartoon.com/2007/pacman.htm
smittyjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 09:55 PM    (permalink
Flyboy
All-Pro
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: In the sea of waking dreams...
Posts: 7,230
Reputation: 48966
Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

Quote:
he may not be a superstar, but he will be a top player in the NFL in four or five years.
However, if you have the #1 pick in the draft I believe the point would be to take the superstar and not just a top player, but whatever.
__________________
The whole world loves neophyte athletic tight end Jimmy Graham from Miami with the 95th pick. "Best pick in the draft,'' one AFC coach told me. "Give him time, and in that offense, he'll be better than [Jeremy] Shockey by the start of next year.''

“We know that no matter the adversity, be it the lockout, be it the suspension or be it a hurricane, our men will pull together and defend the honor of this city. We’ve shown we’ve been able to do that.” - Jabari Greer
Flyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 10:34 PM    (permalink
njx9
Suck it Rob
All-NFLDC
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 12,938
Reputation: 6046786
njx9 has disabled reputation
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SterlingSharpe
POST-SEASON AWARDS are given for PLAYING PERFORMANCE.
You don't see any correlation there?
Why was LaDanian Tomlinson just given a post-season award? BECAUSE he dominated the NFL this season.

If there were 3 better guys on defense IN THE ACC that season than Mario, why would he then dominate the NFL? Because he ran fast in Indianapolis at the combine for a large guy? He always ran fast in college too. Did he dominate and win awards for it?
so if danny wuerrfel was the best PLAYER in college football, why isn't he a god in the NFL? where's eric crouch? your making a stupid argument. please try again.
njx9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:56 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.