Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 08-02-2007, 11:48 PM    (permalink
#1chiefs_fan

Default Should the NFL adopt the NBA's rookie contract system

In the NBA you get paid according to your slot in the draft. It doesn't matter if you could of been in top 10(brady quinn). You get paid for your slot you were selected in and there is no negotiations. There are no rookie holdouts either. Another thing I just don't understand how a guy who hasn't played a down in the NFL, should be making more money than some of the best players in the NFL. Thoughts???
Old 08-03-2007, 12:15 AM    (permalink
Paul
All-NFLDC

Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The NFLPA would never do it. I don't think it's a bad idea at all, a system like that can get your rookies in on time, less negotiations hassles and so forth. But the NFL is a business, and in a sport where there are no guarantees and and a risk of injury on every single snap, more then any other sport, rookies and agents are going to want get as much as they can, as soon as they can. Which is nothing new, I'm just stating the obvious.
Paul is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 12:51 AM    (permalink
Dam8610
Team Leader
All-Pro

Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I would like to see the system implemented. The fact that JaMarcus Russell is going to get an amount of guaranteed money that's close to the amount Peyton Manning got is ridiculous.

The problem arises when people use statistics like a drunk uses a lamp post: for support instead of illumination.

If luck is where preparation meets opportunity, then clutch is where failure meets luck.

Quote:
<Add1ct> setting myself on fire can't be that hard
<Add1ct> but tackling a mosquito might prove a challenge
Dam8610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 12:54 AM    (permalink
The Great Jonathan Vilma
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

without question and without discussion. YES!!

Courtesy of Fenikz - Much Appreciated

Quote:
Originally Posted by dRaFtDoRk View Post
You can't be a good corner if no one throws your way. Thats my way of seeing it.
The Great Jonathan Vilma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 12:56 AM    (permalink
Denver Bronco99
Veteran

Denver Bronco99 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dam8610 View Post
I would like to see the system implemented. The fact that JaMarcus Russell is going to get an amount of guaranteed money that's close to the amount Peyton Manning got is ridiculous.
that i agree with...an uproven player...he could be a bust....but will get more money then one of the best to play the posistion?
Old 08-03-2007, 12:58 AM    (permalink
Dam8610
Team Leader
All-Pro

Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denver Bronco56 View Post
that i agree with...an uproven player...he could be a bust....but will get more money then one of the best to play the posistion?
Not more, but he's going to get around $30 million in guarantees. Peyton got $35 million in guarantees.

The problem arises when people use statistics like a drunk uses a lamp post: for support instead of illumination.

If luck is where preparation meets opportunity, then clutch is where failure meets luck.

Quote:
Old 08-03-2007, 12:58 AM    (permalink
Paul
All-NFLDC

Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
i'm not sure the NFLPA wouldn't buy it. i mean, who are the current members of the NFLPA? veteran players. who stands to profit the most from increased cap room created by a tiered rookie salary structure? veteran players. i'm not sure why the NFLPA would stand against that, assuming the rookie contracts were, as in the NBA, 3ish year contracts with more guaranteed money.
Interesting, makes sense. But despite the recent grumblings against Upshaw and company, they do want to look our for th best interest of there players, including the rookies who will soon be the faces and stars of this league. But I do see what you mean though, there could be a little "look out for #1" mentality from the veteran players on this matter. But I'm pretty sure this proposal has been brought up before, so something must have been holding it back.
Paul is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 09:47 AM    (permalink
MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
All-NFLDC

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
absolutely. and i wouldn't be surprised if i was off a bit on what i'm expecting. but i dunno. it seems to make too muh sense not to happen. maybe someone just needs to let upshaw know that teams won't suddenly stop paying salaries the max out the cap limitations because they don't have to spend it on rookies. all those players are far more likely to get a big pay day after 3 seasons, when they actually deserve it. but then, maybe that's the point? i mean, the raiders can be reasonably sure that russell will be their property for 5-7 years. if the NBA structure were implemented, there wouldn't be any guarantees at the end point. i can see that being a holding point where the NFLPA wants its guys completely free to get a payday and the NFL owners want to be able to keep their talented players (and probably have league rules in place so they don't need to pay them market value).

*shrug*
Maybe they could make it so that after the rookie contract, they became restricted FAs. I think that's how it happens in the NBA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
Terrellezzzzzzzz Pryorzzzzzzzz!
Quote:
do i tell you when to flip the burger?
MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 09:48 AM    (permalink
Smooth Criminal
All-NFLDC

Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Yes without a doubt. I would rather see teams have enough money to keep their own vets around rather than have to cut people to sign their own rookies. Plus it would get every rookie into camp on time and without a problem.

Only people that don't benefit are the incoming rookies and the agents.

Thanks to The Dynasty for the sig
Smooth Criminal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 10:05 AM    (permalink
bsaza2358
Arch-Bishop
Icon

bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I bet the NFL could get the NFLPA to bite on this by removing the franchise tag or limiting it to 1 time per player in his career, or something like that. I think the owners would like this system, and the players might take that kind of a swap.

I am "America's Poster"... http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/for...9&postcount=25

bsaza2358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 10:11 AM    (permalink
P-L
Head Moderator
Legend

P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Rookie contracts are absurd. Calvin Johnson is the highest paid WR in the NFL before he steps onto a football field. I know there are incentives in rookie contracts, but look at the max value of Johnson's compared to contract of the former highest paid WR, Marvin Harrison.

Calvin Johnson - 6 years, $64 million, $27.2 million guaranteed
Marvin Harrison - 7 years, $67 million, $23 million guaranteed

Sure, Calvin will likely not meet all of the incentives in his contract, but it's still way too much. Even if he meets none of his incentives, he'll likely still have a contract that is top 5 at his position.
P-L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 10:45 AM    (permalink
bsaza2358
Arch-Bishop
Icon

bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think a more defined contract structure would benefit everyone in the long run. Players get into camp on time, they get their second/third contracts sooner, there's more FA's out there, and teams aren't hampered by bad contracts as much. I would allow the rookie/team to choose several different options and slots based on the draft position. You have to build in clauses that prevent the team from immediately renegotiating the contracts until after the first year. What I fear will happen is that rookies will hold out in their first training camp demanding a new contract before their careers even begin.

I am "America's Poster"... http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/for...9&postcount=25

Old 08-03-2007, 10:46 AM    (permalink
bsaza2358
Arch-Bishop
Icon

If I'm the owners, I'd gladly get rid of the franchise tag in exchange for the long-term benefit of slotted contracts for rookies. Of course, under my last post, I outlined a plausible situation, with the team renegotiating the contract almost immediately. I think they have to have some sort of requirement that the contract be in force for 2 seasons or something for the owners to really get any sort of benefit.

Old 08-03-2007, 11:15 AM    (permalink
Addict
All-NFLDC

Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

it's a salary cap thing too. When Harrisson and Manning signed their deals the cap was smaller hence the amount of money payed was relatively bigger, not arguing the amounts the rooks are getting payed are insane, but it is something to keep in mind.

As far as the NBA system... I don't think that's all that convenient.

Sig by Fenikz

I remember NFLDC
don't tell anyone, but Charlie Casserly is a dope fiend
Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 11:56 AM    (permalink
bsaza2358
Arch-Bishop
Icon

Seriously, how does an NBA-style contract system for rookie contracts make things inconvenient? Slotted contracts make things easier. Sure, the rookies aren't happy with it, but they also get their next big payday much sooner. I'm not suggesting that contracts should be as small as the NBA rookie scale, but there would be a lot of guaranteed money there. I think it benefits everyone because the breakout stars will get a second contract sooner, and the busts get their money up front, then can move on with minimal repurcussions to the drafting team.

Old 08-03-2007, 01:09 PM    (permalink
etk
All-NFLDC

etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Yes, the current system has gotten out-of-hand and there's nothing like it in any other sport. The economic risk of drafting a bust is tremendous, and very few rookies have "earned" the salaries they receive. Rookies shouldn't get $40+ million just because they ran a 4.3.

sig by BoneKrusher
etk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 01:11 PM    (permalink
ShutDwn
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It would certainly avoid stupid negotiations such as the Panthers/Beason one, but more importantly the Browns/Quinn one
Old 08-03-2007, 02:06 PM    (permalink
bsaza2358
Arch-Bishop
Icon

The Panthers-Beason negotiations are held up over terms of the contract. Money has been figured out. The way I see it, players shouldn't be upset about behavioral clauses in their contracts. If you're an upstanding citizen, in most cases, you'll be fine.

Old 08-03-2007, 02:08 PM    (permalink
bsaza2358
Arch-Bishop
Icon

I think the biggest benefit to the slotted contracts is that NFL teams will have a much better idea what they're getting from their draft picks when they sign them to their second contracts. 2-3 years of playing time will allow a team to fairly assess a situation before forking over $28mm in guaranteed money.

Old 08-03-2007, 05:29 PM    (permalink
ks_perfection
Veteran

ks_perfection hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsaza2358 View Post
The Panthers-Beason negotiations are held up over terms of the contract. Money has been figured out. The way I see it, players shouldn't be upset about behavioral clauses in their contracts. If you're an upstanding citizen, in most cases, you'll be fine.
Or if you play great you'll be fine too. If your a knucklehead off the field,that produces on the field the team wouldn't dare go after your signing bonus. The clause is simply to recoup money from players that are busts and happen to misbehave.
ks_perfection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 08:29 PM    (permalink
Smokey Joe
All-Pro

Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think it should be like the MLB and have arbitration. So, lets say you have a first round pick, and you sign him. He gets a bonus according to where he was drafted and a salary for his rookie season depending on his draft position. And then after his rookie season that player goes through 3 or 4 years of arbitration. Basically, that player would get paid what the average salary of the players at his position would who put up similar stats... It is confusing right now as this post is kinda a mess, but some people probably know what I am talking about.

^Thanks to Eaglez.Fan for the sweet sig!

Smokey Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 09:17 PM    (permalink
ks_perfection
Veteran

ks_perfection hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
that's a bizarre assertion that doesn't seem to have any basis in reality.
IF Pacman were a bust the Titans would be fightning to take his signing bonus money back, but since he's a great young player there letting it slide.
ks_perfection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 09:34 PM    (permalink
Turtlepower
All-Pro

Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ks_perfection View Post
IF Pacman were a bust the Titans would be fightning to take his signing bonus money back, but since he's a great young player there letting it slide.
It is because of the salary cap that they won't cut him, not because they see him playing for them in the future. The only reason Tank Johnson was cut was because there was little money spent on him, but Pacman is a different story.

^Bad ass sig by fenikz^

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halsey View Post
I don't have to watch it to know it was not interesting.
Giants, ASU Sun Devils, Yankees
Turtlepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 11:52 PM    (permalink
LSUALUM99
Veteran

LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The problem with the NBA type of system is that the NBA can resign their stud players. The NBA cap is a soft cap. If the player after 3 years turns out to be a stud they can sign them to a deal and just pay the luxury tax if needed.

The NFL cap is a hard cap. Competitive teams spend close to their cap each year (yes there is room, but it has been more from the cap increasing than teams just saving money, unless you're the Vikings of course). So, after 3 years your Calvin Johnson's of the world would hit FA and (assuming he plays as expected) get paid mega bucks. I think this type of system (while on the surface looking like a great idea) would hurt veteran players in the 29+ year old range. I mean, why sign a 29 year old guy when you know some 25 year old stud is going to hit the open market this year? Also, if a stud 25 year old hits the market, I think you'd see more 30 year olds get cut to make room to sign the super stud. I think the NFLPA would actually oppose this idea.

And, bear in mind that NBA players typically don't provide alot of return on investment their first two years. Very few NBA players are expected to come into the league and contribute signficantly immediately. NFL players are expected to contribute immediately.

Designs by Thule

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMWSackMachine View Post
I just wanna warn you guys not to take TNew41 too seriously. He's....let's just say, special. He's fairly harmless, though. He just needs several years of seasoning before he tries to make any more points, is all.
LSUALUM99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 12:55 AM    (permalink
Dam8610
Team Leader
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokey Joe View Post
I think it should be like the MLB and have arbitration. So, lets say you have a first round pick, and you sign him. He gets a bonus according to where he was drafted and a salary for his rookie season depending on his draft position. And then after his rookie season that player goes through 3 or 4 years of arbitration. Basically, that player would get paid what the average salary of the players at his position would who put up similar stats... It is confusing right now as this post is kinda a mess, but some people probably know what I am talking about.
That would be a nightmare with the salary cap. No GM could even do a 3 year projection.

Quote: