Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 08-05-2007, 10:04 PM    (permalink
Auron
Veteran

Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Yeah Meachem went back on the field after a play.

Well there's the first Turnover of the game. Palko tries to squeeze the Football into a spot where nothing's there and has it picked off.
Old 08-05-2007, 10:06 PM    (permalink
elway777
All-Pro

elway777 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.elway777 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Gary Russell and William *** look like 2 promising rookies for the Steelers.
elway777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 10:09 PM    (permalink
Mr. Stiller
All-Pro

Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo View Post
I like what I've seen of the Steelers under Tomlin, though I'm still a bit leery of how the offense under Arians will ultimately do come the start of the season.
Personally I think it's what we've lacked. Pre-2007 our past 3 draft picks were on offense and we haven't fully utilized them.

We have too much talent at WR and TE to just try to run the ball 40 times a game from a power I.

Again it's just pre-season but I think this is the best offense we could run right now.. I'm ecstatic about how our defense is playing.

Yeah, I play WoW too.[/center]
Mr. Stiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 10:09 PM    (permalink
Mr. Stiller
All-Pro

Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elway777 View Post
Gary Russell and William *** look like 2 promising rookies for the Steelers.
I would add Woodley to that list.

also Carey Davis looks like our new "Bus"

Old 08-05-2007, 10:17 PM    (permalink
Geo
Neo Geo (Moderator)
Icon

Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

That Steelers WR Young made two great catches in a row.
Geo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 10:19 PM    (permalink
Auron
Veteran

Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I thought the Steelers Offense looked really good from what we saw this early they ran their plays smoothly, and crisply. Arian's Offense is very creative and versatile sort of reminds of a Sean Payton Lite Offense. They used a lot of multiple WR sets, and ran a lot of well timed Screen passes.
Old 08-05-2007, 10:25 PM    (permalink
Geo
Neo Geo (Moderator)
Icon

Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm not sure how many are aware that Bruce Arians was Peyton Manning's first quarterbacks coach in the pros, serving that role with the Indianapolis Colts from 1998 to 2000. He then went on to become the offensive coordinator for the Cleveland Browns from 2001 to 2003 (hence why Kelly Holcomb flourished there, having been with the Colts from 1996 to 2000). From 2004 to 2006 he's been the wide receivers coach of the Steelers, until being promoted to offensive coordinator this past offseason.
Old 08-05-2007, 10:32 PM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The Saints are one (major) offensive injury away from being a 6-10 ball club. That defense is simply not up to snuff.

Last edited by Shiver : 08-05-2007 at 10:35 PM.
Shiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 10:48 PM    (permalink
Geo
Neo Geo (Moderator)
Icon

I want to say the Saints regress this year, but:

(1) they only had a 10-6 record last year; and
(2) they play the NFC West and AFC South this year, and can win their fair share of those games (they played the AFC North and NFC East last year, incidentally).

So it's likely they can still finish 9-7 or 10-6, even if the team remains flawed. I'm still not sold Tampa Bay's defense will bounce back enough for them to make a run, although Carolina will do better this year with their offensive line healthy and MeShawn gone.

PS. We should team up for a write up, Shiv. :p
Old 08-05-2007, 10:59 PM    (permalink
Auron
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiver View Post
The Saints are one (major) offensive injury away from being a 6-10 ball club. That defense is simply not up to snuff.
You can tell that from 1 Pre-Season game? the very first one at that.

I don't think anyone is expecting this Saints Defense to be All-World, but I would hold off on basing judgments off of the very first Pre-Season game. The Steelers were a fired up ball club. They wanted to break in their new Head Coach with a victory and wanted to show that last season was an aberration. The Saints treated this like a scrimmage, with a very Vanilla Game plan.

Quite possible the Defense will still be a glaring weakness for the Saints this season, but I wouldn't base it off of 1 Pre-Season game.
Old 08-06-2007, 12:42 AM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
The Professor (Hall of Famer)
Legend

bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auron View Post
I think most people already knew that. The Saints aren't a very good team. They are a handful of stars, a solid O-line, and a god-awful back 7. I've never bought them as a legit contender. I didn't last year and I still don't.

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.
bearsfan_51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 12:51 AM    (permalink
Crazy_Chris
Pro Bowler

Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearsfan_51
I think most people already knew that. The Saints aren't a very good team. They are a handful of stars, a solid O-line, and a god-awful back 7. I've never bought them as a legit contender. I didn't last year and I still don't.
I agree, i never bought into the hype either i think they will be a decent team just not what the everyone/media has been hyping them to be, a contender.
Crazy_Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 12:52 AM    (permalink
HerthaFootballFan
Rookie

Location: from Prenzlauer Berg, Berlin, Germany but now living in Buffalo
HerthaFootballFan hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I think they're offense is going to be nasty, but the defense is still at least a year away.
HerthaFootballFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 01:04 AM    (permalink
Mr. Stiller
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo View Post
That Steelers WR Young made two great catches in a row.
Walter Young.. He has that big catch ability.. it seems to disappear in the regular season.

Old 08-06-2007, 02:21 AM    (permalink
Flyboy
All-Pro

Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearsfan_51 View Post
Damn, we suck. *writes off season*

:(
The whole world loves neophyte athletic tight end Jimmy Graham from Miami with the 95th pick. "Best pick in the draft,'' one AFC coach told me. "Give him time, and in that offense, he'll be better than [Jeremy] Shockey by the start of next year.''

“We know that no matter the adversity, be it the lockout, be it the suspension or be it a hurricane, our men will pull together and defend the honor of this city. We’ve shown we’ve been able to do that.” - Jabari Greer
Flyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 08:01 AM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Anybody that uses a preseason game to judge a team needs their heads examined. It means absolutely nothing as do all the preseason games. Get real folks!
Too bad, the 1st preseason game isn't like the old days when NFL draftees played against the reigning NFL champion. That was a game worth watching. The preseason games today are just a bunch of crap where HC's try to use their starters as little as possible fearing an injury that will reck their season. They only use 1 preseason game to really prepare their veterans for the coming season, the rest of the games, you lucky if the vets play a quarter of the game. The only teams that vary from this formula slightly are teams that stunk it up last year or have new HC's. They tend to use their vets a bit more trying to find success or breaking in a new system. Pittsburgh should have won this game, their HC falls into that catagory while the game meant nothing to New Orleans.
Old 08-06-2007, 09:14 AM    (permalink
GermanSaint
Veteran

GermanSaint hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearsfan_51 View Post

so as always , you havent much idea of the saints... its the complete other way ... we have nearly NO STARS and won a couple of games last year , because , we had a lot of overarchiever and they played as A TEAM ....

watch more saints games.... ( i bet , you just saw the NFCCG )

p.s. just curios .... can you name the awful back 7 players ... and why they are awful ? ( and what is back 7 ? did you mean front 7 ? )
Old 08-06-2007, 09:21 AM    (permalink
Auron
Veteran

Last year the Saints were down right terrible in Pre-Season. They went 1-3 leading some people to believe we would be picking top 5 in the Draft again. That didn’t turn out too bad. The Pre-Season is not a good indicator at all of how teams will do once the Games count. We always see teams dominate in pre-season only to fall flat on their faces in the regular season, and visa versa. Heck the Colts have gone 1-8 in the last two Pre-Seasons combined.

Sean Payton, and Garry Gibbs hide their Playbook as much as possible during the Pre-Season. They run very basic, and vanilla schemes so they don’t overexpose their hand. They don't run their various pre-snap motions, and formation shifts, they run very simple coverage schemes, and don't bring out any blitz packages. (Like many teams do) Their goals are not to win meaningless games, but rather use them to evaluate the bottom half of the roster, and try and keep the starters as healthy as they can.
Old 08-06-2007, 09:50 AM    (permalink
Smooth Criminal
All-NFLDC

Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't think the Saints need to take any worry about this. They have a very good offense with alot of playmakers and a great QB. They will put up points.

On defense they arn't great. Last year they were able to overcome not having many big name players on the defense and played pretty good. Will Smith and Charles Grant are a greta pair of DEs but thats about all you can go into with the defense.

I think their offense is good enough to overcome to their defense much like the Colts did all last year in the regular season. I'm expecting 8-10 wins for the Saints.

Thanks to The Dynasty for the sig
Smooth Criminal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 10:09 AM    (permalink
PackerLegend
Pro Bowler

PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanSaint View Post

p.s. just curios .... can you name the awful back 7 players ... and why they are awful ? ( and what is back 7 ? did you mean front 7 ? )
the back 7 would be everyone but your D-Line. meaning Linebackers, Cornerbacks, Safetys. I would agree with bearsfan that your back 7 isnt very good i dont know if i would say awful but i guess ill wait to see how it does this season.

Sick Sig By BoneKrusher
PackerLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 11:16 AM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Shiver is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auron View Post

I don't think anyone is expecting this Saints Defense to be All-World, but I would hold off on basing judgments off of the very first Pre-Season game. The Steelers were a fired up ball club. They wanted to break in their new Head Coach with a victory and wanted to show that last season was an aberration. The Saints treated this like a scrimmage, with a very Vanilla Game plan.

Quite possible the Defense will still be a glaring weakness for the Saints this season, but I wouldn't base it off of 1 Pre-Season game.
What additions have they made on the defense? Not one player whom I would consider an impact player. The point I am making is they are completely reliant upon their offense carrying them. If they can stay at full strength on offense all year they can be alright. I like Charles Grant and Will Smith as bookends, but other than that...
Old 08-06-2007, 11:36 AM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
The Professor (Hall of Famer)
Legend

bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanSaint View Post
so as always , you havent much idea of the saints... its the complete other way ... we have nearly NO STARS and won a couple of games last year , because , we had a lot of overarchiever and they played as A TEAM ....

watch more saints games.... ( i bet , you just saw the NFCCG )

You have no stars? Who are Reggie Bush, Drew Brees, Duece McAllister then? Hell you could even throw Allen, Grant, and Colsten in there. The Saints are primarily composed of a few high impact guys on offense, a solid offensive line, two tremendous defensive ends, and a bunch of jobbers on defense. I mean, you signed a guy to be your starting safety that couldn't cut it for the Bengals. The ******* Bengals.

And the fact that you don't know what the back 7 is pretty much sums up everything else.

I'm pretty sure the Saints will make the playoffs again, and I'm pretty sure that you'll face a team that can run the ball and stop the run and get sent straight home. But we shall see. All I'm saying is that I called it heading into the playoffs last year and I'll call it again.

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.

Last edited by bearsfan_51 : 08-06-2007 at 11:40 AM.
bearsfan_51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2007, 11:37 AM    (permalink
Auron
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiver View Post
What additions have they made on the defense? Not one player whom I would consider an impact player. The point I am making is they are completely reliant upon their offense carrying them. If they can stay at full strength on offense all year they can be alright. I like Charles Grant and Will Smith as bookends, but other than that...
Well like I mentioned previously what you saw last night wasn't a good performance, but also it was the very first Pre-Season game and probably not the best indicator of what we'll see in the regular season. These guys just got off the plane to report to Camp a week ago, and usually they would have another week to prepare for a game like this. The Steelers went out and played aggressive and physical, I believe they blitzed something like 5 out of their first 7 Defensive plays. (not something you see very often in Pre-Season) While the Saints looked like a team going through the motions just trying to get back on the plane to Jackson, MS in one piece.

Also this was the first live fire game for for some of the new Defensive acquisitions like Jason David, and Kevin Kaesviharn. They still are trying to get adjusted into our scheme, and are learning the terminology. Do you think every team has to go out and blow the bank on high priced Free agents in order to improve? That's not Payton or Gibb's style they prefer to pick up reasonably priced players they believe fit the scheme, and stress teaching technique and fundamentals.
Old 08-06-2007, 11:44 AM    (permalink
Geo
Neo Geo (Moderator)
Icon

CB Jason David and DT Kendrick Clancy were good signings, I thought. LB Brian Simmons also.

Also, Mike McKenzie looked almost as slow in last year's preseason when (in Week 2) he was thoroughly abused by Marvin Harrison. Granted he's not getting any faster, but he needs to knock off some of the rust.
Old 08-06-2007, 11:44 AM    (permalink
Shiver
Icon

I think they made a mistake by taking Robert Meachem, an offensive player, over the several prized defensive prospects that were available. Chris Houston could have come in right away and play because he has experience against top talent, whereas Usama Young probably won't be able to. Paul Posluszny, likewise, could have been an immediate starter at Linebacker. I understand B.P.A to a degree, but not when your team was already unbalanced in favor of one side of the team.