Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New York Jets Team Forum

New York Jets Team Forum Discuss the J-E-T-S

Old 08-07-2007, 10:01 AM    (permalink
TimD
All-Pro

TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Jets Backup QB Battle

Now what exactly is going on with the backup QB position?
I know Chad is the starter then there is Kellen Clemens, Marques Tuiasosopo, and Brad Smith...

Personally I really liked Clemens in Oregon and I've heard that he's somewhat of a leader in the lockerroom, plus I've heard that he did well in camp last year and its the same this year. I think Tuiasosopo doesn't really have a shot. That leaves Brad Smith the QB/RB/WR/Ath... I know he's been taking reps at QB and last year there were a few plays with him under center, but there were all designed runs. If Chad (god forbid) goes down this year, who can we expect to see come out and replace him?
Old 08-07-2007, 12:25 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'd say Clemens, I think he and Tui have been about equal thus far each having their better days, but Clemens is right now the QB of the future and I think in the case Pennington goes down we need to see if Clemens will be able to start in the NFL and manage a game well enough to win.

I believe Smith is taking reps at QB because if we have him as our third QB that saves a roster spot since he plays so many positions. Either this year or down the road I think our QB depth chart is Penny-Clemens-Smith, with Smith playing WR as well but more of an emergency QB. I mean if your first 2 QB's go down you're pretty much screwed anyway so why not just have your third QB be a guy on the team that adds a different dimension to the position and plays another position on the team.

So in the end to answer your question I think Smith is getting reps to be the eventual #3 QB for this team and Clemens will be the backup.
derza222 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 03:05 PM    (permalink
TimD
All-Pro

TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

so what your saying is that tui will be cut??? or just kept on as a 4th?
Old 08-07-2007, 03:25 PM    (permalink
AlexDown
Pro Bowler

AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.

Lets just hope, for the Jets sake, that Pennington does not get hurt this year. We have already seen how bad our team gets when he goes down. There also isn't anyone on our roster that I feel confident enough to be even "adequate" at this point.
Old 08-07-2007, 03:39 PM    (permalink
The Great Jonathan Vilma
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Penny or bust in my eyes also.......

Courtesy of Fenikz - Much Appreciated

Quote:
Originally Posted by dRaFtDoRk View Post
You can't be a good corner if no one throws your way. Thats my way of seeing it.
The Great Jonathan Vilma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 10:49 AM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangini for pres View Post
so what your saying is that tui will be cut??? or just kept on as a 4th?
I'm not sure what happens this year, I think Tui's kept as a third QB and Smith's reps at QB decrease, or Tui gets cut. Next year I think our only true QB's will be Penny and Clemens (or somebody else if we decide Clemens isn't the QB of the future) with Smith as the emergency third QB. I mean it has happened to us before, but how often do you lose two QB's in a game that you need to go to your third QB? To me it doesn't make sense wasting a roster spot on a third guy. But I do agree with everyone else, if Penny goes down we're in serious trouble.
derza222 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 03:33 PM    (permalink
El$anDollah
Rookie

El$anDollah hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I can't beleive no one has mentioned the green vs. white game and the stats of the backups.
Kellen- 14 of 18 208 yards 2 TDs 1 Int
Tui- 10 of 18 108 yards 1 td
Smith- 4 of 5 38 yards
El$anDollah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2007, 01:29 PM    (permalink
TimD
All-Pro

Kellen won the job Thursday... he did amazing 174 yds 3 tds...
Old 08-12-2007, 06:14 PM    (permalink
The Great Jonathan Vilma
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

yep, did nothing but solidify himself as our backup, and gave hope for the future. glad to see it.

Quote:
You can't be a good corner if no one throws your way. Thats my way of seeing it.
Old 08-15-2007, 02:25 AM    (permalink
duckseason
All-Pro

duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Yeah I'm a Ducks fan, but I'm telling you guys, you've got something special with Clemens. With his work ethic and intelligence, combined with his superior athletic ability to that of Pennington, there should be no question that you have your QB of the future. I think he compares favorably to the three 1st rounders, and we might look back 5 years from now and declare him an outright steal. By that time, I think he will have earned a reputation as one of the toughest QB's in the game. One thing is for sure, his progress will not stagnate. He will work his ass off until that job is his, and then he'll keep working his ass off to be sure he keeps it. You guys are fortunate to have a leader with his intangibles. IMO, the sooner Pennington falters, the better off you guys will be. I just think Clemens is capable of taking your team further and just has a much higher ceiling overall. I think the pinnacle of Pennington's career has passed him by. But hey, I'd hate to underestimate Pennington. That dude has some extraordinary intangibles as well.
Old 08-15-2007, 09:06 AM    (permalink
ncstateviking
Rookie

ncstateviking hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

yeah...didnt Pittsburgh do something similar with randle el and hines ward. i think they were number 3 and 4 on the QB depth chart for pitt if im not mistaken at one point.
ncstateviking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 02:44 PM    (permalink
The Great Jonathan Vilma
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckseason View Post
Yeah I'm a Ducks fan, but I'm telling you guys, you've got something special with Clemens. With his work ethic and intelligence, combined with his superior athletic ability to that of Pennington, there should be no question that you have your QB of the future. I think he compares favorably to the three 1st rounders, and we might look back 5 years from now and declare him an outright steal. By that time, I think he will have earned a reputation as one of the toughest QB's in the game. One thing is for sure, his progress will not stagnate. He will work his ass off until that job is his, and then he'll keep working his ass off to be sure he keeps it. You guys are fortunate to have a leader with his intangibles. IMO, the sooner Pennington falters, the better off you guys will be. I just think Clemens is capable of taking your team further and just has a much higher ceiling overall. I think the pinnacle of Pennington's career has passed him by. But hey, I'd hate to underestimate Pennington. That dude has some extraordinary intangibles as well.

Well, with Penningtons habit of not playing an entire season, i'm sure at some point in the next 2 years we will definitely get to see how Clemens fairs in the ragular season. Until that time when he is forced into it, i'm willing to stick with the man who leads us to the playoffs every year he plays 12+ games. i like Clemens and he looks good, but i'll take whats proven at this point.....

Quote:
Old 08-15-2007, 03:50 PM    (permalink
joercky
Rookie

joercky needs more cowbell.

IMO Clemons should be starting. Pennington only had 17 touchdowns and threw 16 picks. With weapons like Coles and Cotchery Pennington should have have at least 20 touchdowns. Plus like Romo in Dallas Clemmons has shown he should be in competition for the job. He has a stronger arm than Pennington and although he is not Mike Vick he has decent mobility and has a hell of a lot stronger arm then Pennington. Plus the Jets spent a second round pick on him and Pennington is 31 and would be the perfect backup. Clemmons is ready to play now so BENCH PENNINGTON!
joercky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 10:45 AM    (permalink
TimD
All-Pro

we made the playoffs last year.... the team respects chad... and he is great at the no huddle and running the jets offense... he will have at least another 2 years... im hoping clemens will be the future because i would not be surprised to see what happened with matt schaub happen to clemens...