Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Miami Dolphins Team Forum

Miami Dolphins Team Forum Discuss the 'Phins

Old 03-17-2008, 07:15 PM    (permalink
Joeyjr09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quagmire View Post
Would love to see Gholston end up here. If there was any way to drop and still get him, it would be ideal. Someone is going to have to want to move to #1 for somebody, though. I still say we should just take him at #1 if they can't trade out..........
I'd absolutely love it if we could convince everyone we are taking Jake Long or Chris Long (which everyone believes right now anyway) and get Alt to look at moving up for Jake or Oak to look at moving up for Chris. Seeing as how Al Davis is crazy and he would love to have Howie's kid on his team, getting him to deal up for Chris wouldn't be out of the question.

If we could give them a discount on the TCV and take their 2009 2nd round and this year's 4th. I'd be thrilled. They would take Chris Long, StL would nab Jake Long, Atlanta would go after either Matt Ryan or Sed Ellis and Gholston falls to us.

Our draft ideally would go like this:

1-Vernon Gholston, OLB
2- Joe Flacco, QB
2- Carl Nicks, OT
3- Eric Young, OG
4- Orlando Scandrick, CB
4- William Franklin, WR
6- Craig Stevens, TE
6- Shannon Tevaga, OG
7-Marcus Dixon, DE
7-Jason Shirley, NT
Old 03-17-2008, 08:32 PM    (permalink
Geo
Neo Geo (Moderator)
Icon

Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I wouldn't get my hopes up for the Dolphins trading down. That sounds nice, but how likely is that to happen? Especially considering the financial commitment the first overall pick entails.

Last year, the Raiders didn't trade down when the best WR prospect ever in Calvin Johnson was available, plus Jamarcus Russell.
Old 03-17-2008, 09:08 PM    (permalink
cordscords
Rookie

cordscords hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Assuming the Dolphins draft Chris Long, and Jason Taylor, what is the projected 3-4 defense going to look like? I'm having a hard time putting it all together.

Last edited by cordscords : 03-17-2008 at 11:28 PM.
cordscords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 10:37 AM    (permalink
Quagmire
Rookie

Quagmire is a cocksman.Quagmire is a cocksman.Quagmire is a cocksman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeyjr09 View Post
I'd absolutely love it if we could convince everyone we are taking Jake Long or Chris Long (which everyone believes right now anyway) and get Alt to look at moving up for Jake or Oak to look at moving up for Chris. Seeing as how Al Davis is crazy and he would love to have Howie's kid on his team, getting him to deal up for Chris wouldn't be out of the question.

If we could give them a discount on the TCV and take their 2009 2nd round and this year's 4th. I'd be thrilled. They would take Chris Long, StL would nab Jake Long, Atlanta would go after either Matt Ryan or Sed Ellis and Gholston falls to us.

1-Vernon Gholston, OLB
2- Joe Flacco, QB
2- Carl Nicks, OT
3- Eric Young, OG
4- Orlando Scandrick, CB
4- William Franklin, WR
6- Craig Stevens, TE
6- Shannon Tevaga, OG
7-Marcus Dixon, DE
7-Jason Shirley, NT
Joe,

I would love to do the trade down and I agree that I would do it at a big discount from the TVC. But, I think it is going to be tough to get a team that wants to move up. I really don't think it would be OAK if they did make a deal. Maybe Atl or maybe even KC if they really want Jake Long. Again, I think those options are remote, at best. (Unfortunately)

I think the more important thing to do is trade Jason Taylor. I think they need the pick(s) that they would get for him to really get some players in here. Especially if they are stuck at #1.

Also, I would be not surprised if they moved down from their picks at the tops of round 2 and 3 to pick up more picks in the 3rd to 5th round area along with a pick or 2 next yr.

BTW,
I like the picks you gave them in that scenario, but:
You know I think Flacco goes in round 1.
I think Scandrick and Stevens go higher than you projected.
Love the Eric Young pick in round 3.
Quagmire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 01:58 PM    (permalink
BigBlueCrew56
Rookie

BigBlueCrew56 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I dont understand why everyone is on the trade the Jason Taylor bandwagon. While my lady was watching dancing with the stars last nite I happened to come out of my office room to take a glimpse at "Twinkle Toes". Dude looks like he is in the best shape of his life and could easily play the next 4-5 years. Why are we so quick to want to trade the franchise face for??? A pillar of this south florida community???? Because Parcells wants to get younger???? Getting younger at the expense of an all time pro bowl player isnt what I see as the answer. Chris Long or Vernon Gholston till this day still couldnt hold Jason Taylor's jock. Now would they look good next to J.T.... well absolutely. Parcells just went out and got a 32 year old Jason Ferguson to be his NT so why wouldnt he want to keep a 33 year old probowl OLB??????. Parcells has never been one to think about the long term. He will probably want this team in the playoffs in two years. Then Taylor will be 35 and still very competetive. He is more valuable to this team then any 2nd or 4th round pick is going to fetch.
BigBlueCrew56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 02:04 PM    (permalink
BigBlueCrew56
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cordscords View Post
Assuming the Dolphins draft Chris Long, and Jason Taylor, what is the projected 3-4 defense going to look like? I'm having a hard time putting it all together.

Projected 3-4 defense excluding the secondary

OLB Jason Taylor ILB Channing Crowder ILB Charlie Anderson OLB Joey Porter

Bench ILB/OLB Reggie Torbor,OLB Quentin Moses,OLB Abraham Wright, DE/OLB Matt Roth?????

DE Rodrique Wright DT Jason Ferguson DE Vonnie Holliday

Bench DE/DT Randy Starks, DT Paul Solai, DT Steve Fifita
Old 03-18-2008, 02:30 PM    (permalink
Quagmire
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlueCrew56 View Post
I dont understand why everyone is on the trade the Jason Taylor bandwagon. While my lady was watching dancing with the stars last nite I happened to come out of my office room to take a glimpse at "Twinkle Toes". Dude looks like he is in the best shape of his life and could easily play the next 4-5 years. Why are we so quick to want to trade the franchise face for??? A pillar of this south florida community???? Because Parcells wants to get younger???? Getting younger at the expense of an all time pro bowl player isnt what I see as the answer. Chris Long or Vernon Gholston till this day still couldnt hold Jason Taylor's jock. Now would they look good next to J.T.... well absolutely. Parcells just went out and got a 32 year old Jason Ferguson to be his NT so why wouldnt he want to keep a 33 year old probowl OLB??????. Parcells has never been one to think about the long term. He will probably want this team in the playoffs in two years. Then Taylor will be 35 and still very competetive. He is more valuable to this team then any 2nd or 4th round pick is going to fetch.
Completely disagree. The guy is in his mid-30's. He is only going to go downhill. This team is not going to be a superbowl team in 2 yrs. This is not about being more competitve this year. This is about guys who are going to be here in 3 to 4 years and hitting their peak. He is a guy who has been here for all of the losing. Time for a fresh start for him and for Miami. Get him out of here. He may be a good guy and still a big-time player, but that is why you trade him, not why you keep him. The picks are more valuable at this point. If they keep him, they may win 6-7 games next yr. If they trade him, they win 4-6 games. What is the difference? It is going to take at least one more offseason (probably 2) before this team is ready to compete at a high level. Why not have ascending players to do it?
Old 03-18-2008, 02:37 PM    (permalink
Quagmire
Rookie

Blue,

BTW, Ferguson was acquired for a #6 because they needed a body at NT. The guy is a "hold the fort" guy who is just here to stop the run while they develop young players at the position. By the time they're good, he will be gone and they will have drafted his replacement, or he may be on the roster (Soliai, Starks?). Again, look at the price, (a #6). Taylor could fetch at least a #2 and perhaps another high to mid round pick. Let him go win somehwere while we draft his replacement for the future....
Old 03-18-2008, 03:21 PM    (permalink
cordscords
Rookie

cordscords hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Projected 3-4 defense excluding the secondary

OLB Jason Taylor ILB Channing Crowder ILB Charlie Anderson OLB Joey Porter

Bench ILB/OLB Reggie Torbor,OLB Quentin Moses,OLB Abraham Wright, DE/OLB Matt Roth?????

DE Rodrique Wright DT Jason Ferguson DE Vonnie Holliday

Bench DE/DT Randy Starks, DT Paul Solai, DT Steve Fifita
Thank you :)
cordscords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 03:40 PM    (permalink
BigBlueCrew56
Rookie

Quote:
Completely disagree. The guy is in his mid-30's. He is only going to go downhill. This team is not going to be a superbowl team in 2 yrs. This is not about being more competitve this year. This is about guys who are going to be here in 3 to 4 years and hitting their peak. He is a guy who has been here for all of the losing. Time for a fresh start for him and for Miami. Get him out of here. He may be a good guy and still a big-time player, but that is why you trade him, not why you keep him. The picks are more valuable at this point. If they keep him, they may win 6-7 games next yr. If they trade him, they win 4-6 games. What is the difference? It is going to take at least one more offseason (probably 2) before this team is ready to compete at a high level. Why not have ascending players to do it?

I might be letting the Jason Taylor is my favorite player come out of me. I just cant envision him on another team. He needs to retire a Dolphin much like Marino.
Old 03-18-2008, 04:16 PM    (permalink
BigBlueCrew56
Rookie

Quote:
Blue,

BTW, Ferguson was acquired for a #6 because they needed a body at NT. The guy is a "hold the fort" guy who is just here to stop the run while they develop young players at the position. By the time they're good, he will be gone and they will have drafted his replacement, or he may be on the roster (Soliai, Starks?). Again, look at the price, (a #6). Taylor could fetch at least a #2 and perhaps another high to mid round pick. Let him go win somehwere while we draft his replacement for the future....

I just dont see another team stepping up to the plate and offering that much for him. It will certainly come down to draft day because I am sure the Phins dont want the bad pub while he is competing on dancing with the stars.
Old 03-18-2008, 04:18 PM    (permalink
BigBlueCrew56
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeyjr09 View Post

1-Vernon Gholston, OLB
2- Joe Flacco, QB
2- Carl Nicks, OT
3- Eric Young, OG
4- Orlando Scandrick, CB
4- William Franklin, WR
6- Craig Stevens, TE
6- Shannon Tevaga, OG
7-Marcus Dixon, DE
7-Jason Shirley, NT

Was arrested at a house party recently and was banned from his pro day. I think Parcells mentioned keeping problem children off the team. He has had a history with Nebraska even before that incident.
Old 03-18-2008, 04:26 PM    (permalink
BigBlueCrew56
Rookie

Very good article on John Beck peep it out

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/dolphin...beck_0318.html
Old 03-18-2008, 05:02 PM    (permalink
Quagmire
Rookie

Quote:
I might be letting the Jason Taylor is my favorite player come out of me. I just cant envision him on another team. He needs to retire a Dolphin much like Marino.
I felt the same way about Marino, though in hindsight, the best thing they could have done would have been to trade him when JJ was hired. Taylor should get us at least a #2 and hopefully another pick to add the players this team so desperately needs.......
Old 03-19-2008, 09:18 AM    (permalink
Finsfan79
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

Finsfan79 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
I felt the same way about Marino, though in hindsight, the best thing they could have done would have been to trade him when JJ was hired. Taylor should get us at least a #2 and hopefully another pick to add the players this team so desperately needs.......
yet replacing him with chris long doesnt make sense, we take a cap hit, we draft a player not the best fit for the 3-4 OLB spot and we decrease in ability there all at once. Not to mention Long would cost about as much as JT costs anyways.

I feel a better way would be if we cant trade the pick and want an OLB there go with Gholston.

I havent really seen much from down here lately that we are going to trade JT or that he wants to be traded at all, he controls if he is traded as much as the dolphins as all he has to do is retire worst comes to worst.
Finsfan79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 04:43 PM    (permalink
BigBlueCrew56
Rookie

Omar Kelly from the Sun Sentinal just posted this today in his blog

REMAINING NEEDS

So what's left to be address? The Dolphins still need to find a few more starters (offensive tackle, left guard), and improve the team's depth in a number of areas.

1. Offensive linemen - Their disinterest in addressing this unit in free agency absolutely points to the fact they will take care of it in the draft, possibly using one of the top three selections on an elite tackle, and addressing the guard spot later in the draft because that position is typically in less demand. If you wait on it and miss there's likely a veteran out there, like Chris Liwienski or Jason Fabini, who can get the job done for one season.

2. Linebackers - A couple linebackers with good size (6'2", 240 pounds) are needed to make the 3-4 scheme work, and a betting man says the trifecta takes a conversion guy and invests two seasons helping him grow into the position. If the Dolphins pass on using the No. 1 pick on Virginia's Chris Long and Ohio State's Vernon Gholston there's plenty of talent left since this batch of players is one of the draft's deepest. USC's Lawrence Jackson, Auburn's Quentin Groves are options in round 2, and McNeese State's Bryan Smith, Michigan's Shawn Crable, Purdue's Cliff Avril, and Georgia's Marcus Howard could bring good value after round 3. Finding a young guy to play on the inside couldn't hurt since Channing Crowder will be a free agent next offseason. Don't be surprised if an outside linebacker like Georgia Tech's Phillip Wheeler, BYU's Bryan Kehl and Montana's Kroy Biermann are asked to move inside.

3. Quarterback - John Beckís unproven, and McCown has been shaky throughout his career, so bringing in another talented young arm could benefit the team longterm. If any of them can't mentally handle the pressure of the Dolphins drafting a elite quarterback like Delaware's Joe Flacco, Michigan's Chad Henne or USC's John David Booty then he doesn't have what it takes to be an NFL starter. This position becomes even more pressing an issue if you look at the quarterbacks that will likely be available early in next season's draft. Florida's Tim Tebow and Georgia's Matt Stafford are nice, but are they elite quarterbacks?

4. Secondary - This unit has to get younger, and more athletic by adding a corner back and/or safety. Using a second or third round pick on players - like UM's Kenny Phillips (if he's still on the board in round 2), Virgina Tech's Brandon Flowers, Oklahoma's Reggie Smith, Kansas' Aqib Talib, Arizona's Antoine Cason could bring great value here. But there will likely be a few contributors available past the fourth round, Notre Dame's Tom Zbikowski would be a good find if he's still there in round four.

5. Tight end - I initially thought another speedy receiver to lighten Ted Ginn Jr.ís workload would benefit the team, but with Tab Perry's addition, in the long run it would be better to use a high pick to find a starting tight end for the future. This is a luxury pick, but one the Dolphins should make if there's a talent they really like with a third-round grade who slips into round four. Tennessee's Brad Cottam, a tall, sure-handed target, has plenty of upside, and might still be on the board in the fourth round. The Dolphins really liked what they saw from him at the Senior Bowl. Texas A&M's Martellus Bennett is a high risk, high reward option, but considering he's at the top of a few teams draft boards at his position don't expect him to fall past round 3. There will be plenty of decent receivers available after round four. And the truth is there will be plenty of veterans available after the second round of roster cuts, as veterans get the ax for youngsters.

6. Running back - A tailback to stash on the practice squad would safeguard against injuries, and Ricky Williams is working on the last year of his deal. So, if there's good value there in rounds 2 through 5 (Oregon's Jonathan Stewart, Georgia Tech's Tashard Choice, Tulane's Matt Forte, UCF's Kevin Smith), it would be a smart investment to address a position that's NOT a critical need. Last season proves the Dolphins will need a least four running backs to get through the season. Is Lorenzo Booker an every down back, and is Patrick Cobbs more than "just a guy."
Old 03-19-2008, 05:04 PM    (permalink
Quagmire
Rookie

Quote:
Omar Kelly from the Sun Sentinal just posted this today in his blog

REMAINING NEEDS

So what's left to be address? The Dolphins still need to find a few more starters (offensive tackle, left guard), and improve the team's depth in a number of areas.

1. Offensive linemen - Their disinterest in addressing this unit in free agency absolutely points to the fact they will take care of it in the draft, possibly using one of the top three selections on an elite tackle, and addressing the guard spot later in the draft because that position is typically in less demand. If you wait on it and miss there's likely a veteran out there, like Chris Liwienski or Jason Fabini, who can get the job done for one season.

2. Linebackers - A couple linebackers with good size (6'2", 240 pounds) are needed to make the 3-4 scheme work, and a betting man says the trifecta takes a conversion guy and invests two seasons helping him grow into the position. If the Dolphins pass on using the No. 1 pick on Virginia's Chris Long and Ohio State's Vernon Gholston there's plenty of talent left since this batch of players is one of the draft's deepest. USC's Lawrence Jackson, Auburn's Quentin Groves are options in round 2, and McNeese State's Bryan Smith, Michigan's Shawn Crable, Purdue's Cliff Avril, and Georgia's Marcus Howard could bring good value after round 3. Finding a young guy to play on the inside couldn't hurt since Channing Crowder will be a free agent next offseason. Don't be surprised if an outside linebacker like Georgia Tech's Phillip Wheeler, BYU's Bryan Kehl and Montana's Kroy Biermann are asked to move inside.

3. Quarterback - John Beckís unproven, and McCown has been shaky throughout his career, so bringing in another talented young arm could benefit the team longterm. If any of them can't mentally handle the pressure of the Dolphins drafting a elite quarterback like Delaware's Joe Flacco, Michigan's Chad Henne or USC's John David Booty then he doesn't have what it takes to be an NFL starter. This position becomes even more pressing an issue if you look at the quarterbacks that will likely be available early in next season's draft. Florida's Tim Tebow and Georgia's Matt Stafford are nice, but are they elite quarterbacks?

4. Secondary - This unit has to get younger, and more athletic by adding a corner back and/or safety. Using a second or third round pick on players - like UM's Kenny Phillips (if he's still on the board in round 2), Virgina Tech's Brandon Flowers, Oklahoma's Reggie Smith, Kansas' Aqib Talib, Arizona's Antoine Cason could bring great value here. But there will likely be a few contributors available past the fourth round, Notre Dame's Tom Zbikowski would be a good find if he's still there in round four.

5. Tight end - I initially thought another speedy receiver to lighten Ted Ginn Jr.ís workload would benefit the team, but with Tab Perry's addition, in the long run it would be better to use a high pick to find a starting tight end for the future. This is a luxury pick, but one the Dolphins should make if there's a talent they really like with a third-round grade who slips into round four. Tennessee's Brad Cottam, a tall, sure-handed target, has plenty of upside, and might still be on the board in the fourth round. The Dolphins really liked what they saw from him at the Senior Bowl. Texas A&M's Martellus Bennett is a high risk, high reward option, but considering he's at the top of a few teams draft boards at his position don't expect him to fall past round 3. There will be plenty of decent receivers available after round four. And the truth is there will be plenty of veterans available after the second round of roster cuts, as veterans get the ax for youngsters.

6. Running back - A tailback to stash on the practice squad would safeguard against injuries, and Ricky Williams is working on the last year of his deal. So, if there's good value there in rounds 2 through 5 (Oregon's Jonathan Stewart, Georgia Tech's Tashard Choice, Tulane's Matt Forte, UCF's Kevin Smith), it would be a smart investment to address a position that's NOT a critical need. Last season proves the Dolphins will need a least four running backs to get through the season. Is Lorenzo Booker an every down back, and is Patrick Cobbs more than "just a guy."
Blue,

If somehow Quentin Groves was available in round 2, I would jump up and down. If that was the case, I would seriously consider Jake Long with the #1 pick. I really think Groves can be a big time player as a 3-4 rush OLB. But, since I don't see that happening, I prefer Gholston to be the pick at #1.... Omar does have some good points, but I would not rule out DL or WR as a need. The key this yr is to take the best player available. They need depth everywhere and this is a long process.....
Old 03-23-2008, 11:17 PM    (permalink
DawgBone
Rookie

DawgBone smells like sex panther.

Miami needs to suck it up and draft Jake Long. Until an offensive line is in place, exspecially LT, the offense goes nowhere.
DawgBone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 04:09 PM    (permalink
Joeyjr09

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawgBone View Post
Miami needs to suck it up and draft Jake Long. Until an offensive line is in place, exspecially LT, the offense goes nowhere.
Bro, did you watch Miami at all last year. Our Run Defense was alot worse then our offensive line and our D by and large was worse then our offense which says alot.

Our offense was halfway decent until Ronnie, Jesse Chatman and Chris Chambers were moved or hurt.

There's alot more upside to our offense then our D at this point.
Old 07-28-2008, 05:33 AM    (permalink
saer

I really think the Dolphins are going to suprise some people. I think they will be the most physical team in the league. I love a good power offense and that is exactly what the Dolphins have. Ronnie Brown is a great young RB and the o-line solid for the first time in a while.
Old 07-28-2008, 06:27 PM    (permalink
johnstonolb
Rookie

johnstonolb is a cocksman.johnstonolb is a cocksman.johnstonolb is a cocksman.johnstonolb is a cocksman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saer View Post
I really think the Dolphins are going to suprise some people. I think they will be the most physical team in the league. I love a good power offense and that is exactly what the Dolphins have. Ronnie Brown is a great young RB and the o-line solid for the first time in a while.
Not sure I agreee with everything but they will be fine this year. I think 7-9. Next year will be better.
johnstonolb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 06:32 PM    (permalink
saer

Well suprising people would be a 6-10 record :/ people still have them going 0-16.
Old 08-12-2008, 11:46 PM    (permalink
Finsfan79
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

Finsfan79 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I could live with 6-10 this year would give us a nice pick to continue to build around.
Finsfan79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 02:42 PM    (permalink
Catch_23
Rookie

Catch_23 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Hi, i'm new here and i'm a huge Dolphins fan and i'd just like to say that i'm very excited to see how this season plays out. I feel like we have a lot of young talent on our team with the likes of Long, Ginn, and Brown on offense. If we Chad Henne pans out the way i hope i feel like we will be a really good offense for years to come. I'm also excited to see the 1-2 punch of Brown and Ricky and if we can get our running game on track i think we could be a 6 or 7 win team this year.
Catch_23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 03:33 PM    (permalink
Hines
Legend

Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hines is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

With all the moves the Dolphins made on the defensive line, is Rodrique Wright going to get cut?