Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Miami Dolphins Team Forum

Miami Dolphins Team Forum Discuss the 'Phins

Old 09-18-2008, 04:24 PM    (permalink
Joeyjr09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quagmire View Post
His style is to go for help in the front 7 on D. However, his style in prior yrs was never to take OL in the first round and look who he took #1 this past yr. I think he is going to look at the best player and go from there, though I would expect him to go more towards the D. I would really be surprised if he looked at a WR in round 1 and even round 2 for that matter. Too bad, I am a big fan of Maclin and think he looks like a #1 receiver at the next level. Way too early to tell right now, but I still think he leans more towards front seven on D before anything else....
I would agree he leans towards the front 7 but and we have our 1st and 2 2nds. There's no doubt in my mind at least one of those picks does to a DE/OLB or a MLB and wouldn't be shocked if two of those picks when to those spots.

However, just like last year OL was without a doubt our top need and he took Long, there's no mistaking that DBs and WRs are our top need so if Davis is there, I could definately see him making the pick and taking other positions later on.

The two worst teams in the NFL are us and KC so chances are we will get a top 2 pick. The problem with that is the same problem we faced last season with the two Longs. Money. LBs are just not worth the dough the top 3-4 picks in the draft will make. CBs althought not drafted too highly in the top 5 the last few years (mainly because of lack of talent, with Newman being the best one recently) are generally paid more then LBs if I'm not mistaken (going off the huge Hall, Clements, and Samuel contracts on this one). This could lead to Davis being our top pick and a LB that slips into early round 2, the way Merling did last year, could be our pick that in spot. (crosses fingers for one of Brown, Cushing or Curry).

Again, I could definately see something like this:

1- Vontae Davis, CB
2- Brian Cushing, OLB (this one is for you bow)
2- Brian Robiskie, WR (just to get rid of Greg Carr)
3- Clint Stintim, ILB
Old 09-18-2008, 11:15 PM    (permalink
thebow305
2009 NFL Mock Draft Champ
All-Pro

thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeyjr09 View Post
I would agree he leans towards the front 7 but and we have our 1st and 2 2nds. There's no doubt in my mind at least one of those picks does to a DE/OLB or a MLB and wouldn't be shocked if two of those picks when to those spots.

However, just like last year OL was without a doubt our top need and he took Long, there's no mistaking that DBs and WRs are our top need so if Davis is there, I could definately see him making the pick and taking other positions later on.

The two worst teams in the NFL are us and KC so chances are we will get a top 2 pick. The problem with that is the same problem we faced last season with the two Longs. Money. LBs are just not worth the dough the top 3-4 picks in the draft will make. CBs althought not drafted too highly in the top 5 the last few years (mainly because of lack of talent, with Newman being the best one recently) are generally paid more then LBs if I'm not mistaken (going off the huge Hall, Clements, and Samuel contracts on this one). This could lead to Davis being our top pick and a LB that slips into early round 2, the way Merling did last year, could be our pick that in spot. (crosses fingers for one of Brown, Cushing or Curry).

1- Vontae Davis, CB
3- Clint Stintim, ILB
I'm going to be real honest with you here. If our first 3 picks went like that, I would definitely need a new pair of pants and would probably spend the rest of the day streaking down my street.

I just want to take this moment out to thank you Joeyjr. I know we have had our differences in the past, but you my friend are a good man! :)

Dolphins Dream Draft: 1. C.J. Mosley 2. Kelvin Benjamin 3. Ja'Wuan James 4. Brandon Thomas 5. Xavier Grimble 6. Tyler Gaffney 7. Ross Cockrell
thebow305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 01:15 AM    (permalink
Joeyjr09

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebow305 View Post
I'm going to be real honest with you here. If our first 3 picks went like that, I would definitely need a new pair of pants and would probably spend the rest of the day streaking down my street.

I just want to take this moment out to thank you Joeyjr. I know we have had our differences in the past, but you my friend are a good man! :)
I think the difference between this year and the past couple years is very simple.

The past couple of years we had needs every where. We literally could have taken QB, OL, DL, DB, WR, LB and no one could say otherwise because we just had zero talent there at all. Hence the Brady Quinn/Ted Ginn/Alan Branch mocks 2 years ago and the Jake Long/Chris Long/Vernon Gholston ones last year. Every one has their own opinions.

This year, we aren't an old team with needs everywhere like the last 2 years. Now we are full of youth and potential at some keys spots such as OL, DE, QB, and RB. While we still have tons of needs all over the field, I think we all agree that WR, DB, and LB are our biggest needs and will without a doubt need to be addressed on day 1 of the draft this season. I don't think there's as much room for debate this year as their is last year. It's pretty obvious to look and see who on our team has a future (Merling, Langford, Long, Satele, Henne, Bess, and Starks/Smiley to lesser extents, plus a handful of others I missed) and where we need an infusion of talent (WR, CB, LB) more immediately then we will other spots where we have spot gaps (NT, OL depth, Safety??).

Personally, I'm hoping for something like this:

1.) Vontae Davis, CB, Illinois
2.) Brian Cushing, OLB, USC
2.) Brian Robiskie, WR, OSU
3.) Ron Brace, NT, BC
4.) Ramon Foster, OT, Tennessee
5.) Anthony Reddick, S, Miami
7.) Coye Francies, CB, San Jose State
7.) Lee Robinson, ILB, Alcorn State
7.) Maurice Miller, OG, Ole Miss

Nets us big time on our biggest needs with 2 CB (including arguably the best to come out in years), a WR and 2 LB (1 being a good pass rushing OLB). Plus we hit our secondary needs with a NT of the future, a S that we can develop to replace Hill/Crocker in a year and 2 OL (with one being a OT that can project to start in the future).

Of our 10 picks, 5 go the the D front 7/OL and the other 5 go to DB/WR. So despite CB/WR being our far and away biggest needs, we still have a pretty good mix of front 7/trench guys in there to do the dirty work that Parcells loves.

Can you tell I'm looking forward to the draft already?

Last edited by Joeyjr09 : 09-19-2008 at 01:17 AM.
Old 09-19-2008, 09:10 AM    (permalink
Quagmire
Rookie

Quagmire is a cocksman.Quagmire is a cocksman.Quagmire is a cocksman.

Quote:

1- Vontae Davis, CB
3- Clint Stintim, ILB
While I agree that this will be a tough yr, I don't want to project their draft position yet. I do agree that they will at best (or worst depending how you look at it) be in the top 10 and most likely, top 5. I tend to think they may show signs of life late this yr...

I think the good part about being this bad is that you can go pretty much anywhere with the draft. I think the preferred pick would be a pass rushing OLB if all things were equal, but a shutdown CB or stud ILB (Maualaga) could easily jump in there. I would also not rule out a big time NT if there was someone worth taking that high...

One other thing, they may have more picks than they currently do. At this pt, it doesn't look like Ginn is fitting into their plans and don't be surprised if a guy like Carey gets franchised to get traded down the road either. One thing for certain is that there will be plenty of turnover again....
Quagmire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2008, 10:28 AM    (permalink
thebow305
All-Pro

thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thebow305 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
While I agree that this will be a tough yr, I don't want to project their draft position yet. I do agree that they will at best (or worst depending how you look at it) be in the top 10 and most likely, top 5. I tend to think they may show signs of life late this yr...

I think the good part about being this bad is that you can go pretty much anywhere with the draft. I think the preferred pick would be a pass rushing OLB if all things were equal, but a shutdown CB or stud ILB (Maualaga) could easily jump in there. I would also not rule out a big time NT if there was someone worth taking that high...

One other thing, they may have more picks than they currently do. At this pt, it doesn't look like Ginn is fitting into their plans and don't be surprised if a guy like Carey gets franchised to get traded down the road either. One thing for certain is that there will be plenty of turnover again....
If Ginn gets traded, I will cry. They just need to use him more and stop wasting his talent. To take him off both kick returns and punt returns when he is not even playing much WR is just ridiculous. Our coaching staff seems lie complete boneheads right now. Even if they don't think Ginn is that great at WR, it's not like we have anyone better. I mean come on!!

Dolphins Dream Draft: 1. C.J. Mosley 2. Kelvin Benjamin 3. Ja'Wuan James 4. Brandon Thomas 5. Xavier Grimble 6. Tyler Gaffney 7. Ross Cockrell
Old 09-19-2008, 10:30 AM    (permalink
thebow305
All-Pro

Quote:
I think the difference between this year and the past couple years is very simple.

The past couple of years we had needs every where. We literally could have taken QB, OL, DL, DB, WR, LB and no one could say otherwise because we just had zero talent there at all. Hence the Brady Quinn/Ted Ginn/Alan Branch mocks 2 years ago and the Jake Long/Chris Long/Vernon Gholston ones last year. Every one has their own opinions.

This year, we aren't an old team with needs everywhere like the last 2 years. Now we are full of youth and potential at some keys spots such as OL, DE, QB, and RB. While we still have tons of needs all over the field, I think we all agree that WR, DB, and LB are our biggest needs and will without a doubt need to be addressed on day 1 of the draft this season. I don't think there's as much room for debate this year as their is last year. It's pretty obvious to look and see who on our team has a future (Merling, Langford, Long, Satele, Henne, Bess, and Starks/Smiley to lesser extents, plus a handful of others I missed) and where we need an infusion of talent (WR, CB, LB) more immediately then we will other spots where we have spot gaps (NT, OL depth, Safety??).

Personally, I'm hoping for something like this:

1.) Vontae Davis, CB, Illinois
2.) Brian Cushing, OLB, USC
2.) Brian Robiskie, WR, OSU
3.) Ron Brace, NT, BC
4.) Ramon Foster, OT, Tennessee
5.) Anthony Reddick, S, Miami
7.) Coye Francies, CB, San Jose State
7.) Lee Robinson, ILB, Alcorn State
7.) Maurice Miller, OG, Ole Miss

Nets us big time on our biggest needs with 2 CB (including arguably the best to come out in years), a WR and 2 LB (1 being a good pass rushing OLB). Plus we hit our secondary needs with a NT of the future, a S that we can develop to replace Hill/Crocker in a year and 2 OL (with one being a OT that can project to start in the future).

Of our 10 picks, 5 go the the D front 7/OL and the other 5 go to DB/WR. So despite CB/WR being our far and away biggest needs, we still have a pretty good mix of front 7/trench guys in there to do the dirty work that Parcells loves.

Can you tell I'm looking forward to the draft already?
I know, I think about the draft all year. It's a little bit of a sickness for me I think. That mock looks pretty solid. I'd love to have Reddick, but I'm sure we could get someone better than Foster in the 4th.

Old 09-19-2008, 10:38 AM    (permalink
Quagmire
Rookie

Quote:
If Ginn gets traded, I will cry. They just need to use him more and stop wasting his talent. To take him off both kick returns and punt returns when he is not even playing much WR is just ridiculous. Our coaching staff seems lie complete boneheads right now. Even if they don't think Ginn is that great at WR, it's not like we have anyone better. I mean come on!!
I agree with you completely about Ginn. At least they should see what they have. This could just be some mindgames they are playing with him to get him to be more aggressive at both wr and kr/pr. I think the same thing with Jason Allen. Both guys need to play and play a lot to see if they are part of the future. Maybe it is just me, but everytime I see Allen play, he is around the ball. Why they would start Crocker or Hill ahead of him does not make sense to me. They should realize he is a S, not a CB. This idea of playing him at CB is wrong. He does not have the "twitchiness" to play CB, but is very athletic and perfect for FS.....
Old 09-19-2008, 04:34 PM    (permalink
Joeyjr09

Quote:
I agree with you completely about Ginn. At least they should see what they have. This could just be some mindgames they are playing with him to get him to be more aggressive at both wr and kr/pr. I think the same thing with Jason Allen. Both guys need to play and play a lot to see if they are part of the future. Maybe it is just me, but everytime I see Allen play, he is around the ball. Why they would start Crocker or Hill ahead of him does not make sense to me. They should realize he is a S, not a CB. This idea of playing him at CB is wrong. He does not have the "twitchiness" to play CB, but is very athletic and perfect for FS.....
Have to disagree Ginn. I do think he can be a good WR and be a part of our future but I don't think we will see much of it this season. I also agree with taking him off of punt returns.

Devone Bess is alot shiftier then Ginn which is a huge plus when it comes to punt returns and I although Ginn can break a big one here and there, he also has alot of returns where he gets a big fat zero yards because he isn't elusive enough to break a tackle. Add to the fact that he fair catches alot of returnable balls and he lets alot of balls bounce off the field that he should be catching and there's alot of field position he leaves on the table on a consistent basis. We aren't good enough to afford that. Bess might not break the big one as much as Ginn but as far as punt returns, he gets us better field position on a more consistent basis. I can't argue with that.

On Kick returns it's a different story. There no fair catches or anything like that and they get a chance to get going before they see a defender. Ginn's game breaking ability needs to be on the field for kick returns, no reason not to have him out there.

As far as being a WR. I think he'll be ok. I just don't think his skill set is very good for what we are able to do right now. Ginn is not great at reverses, or runs or anything like that. I know there was hope that we could use him as a decoy in that sense but it just isn't going to happen. He can't break a tackle and he takes too long to get to top speed to really be a threat on reverses and things of that nature.

What he looks lik ehe can do well that is go vertical. He looks like he could be a very good downfield threat. What we need to be using him for is more slants, flys, crossing routes where we can hit him open in towards centerfield while he's in his stride. Those are the types of balls he can excell with. But this WR screen, Reserves, throws in the flats and underneath stuff that we are using him for is just not a good part of his game. His skill set isn't made for that. I don't think that's the coaching staffs fault, I think the problem is that we don't have a QB that can get him the ball where he is most effective.

I think once Henne gets in there, you will see a different Ted Ginn. When we have a guy with an arm that can get him stuff on flys, slants and downfield passes, then he will be a good WR. That's what he can excel at cause he will be in the open field with the use of his full speed and his exceptional hands. Having a WR like that can open the underneath stuff for guys like Bess, Fasano and Ronnie Brown.

I think that's what Ginn will be in the NFL. I don't think hes a number 1 WR but I think he can be a very good number 2 with he ability to stretch the field, make some plays in the deep passing game and open up the underneath routes for others to make plays. But this screen, reverse, underneath stuff they are using him for is just not his game.
Old 09-19-2008, 04:39 PM    (permalink
Joeyjr09

Have to think Jason Allen is a waste at this point. He isn't a great tackler and he gets out of position quite a bit. Plus the fact there has to be more mental problem with him then we know about because the coaches won't even trust him to play a little safety for the fear of him giving up a big play (and that's not just the current staff, but the staff that drafted him as well). I just have to think at this point that he's never going to be able to make an impact in the NFL. He makes all the wrong reads, struggles to learn the defense, he gets out of position and he isn't a great tackler. What about any of that screams FS? I see bust written all over him.
Old 09-21-2008, 06:07 PM    (permalink
draftguru151
:/
Legend

draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Hurricanes and Dolphins combined to score 79 points. o.O

What the hell was that today?

<Gaius_Baltar> That is correct comahan
<vidae> I ******* LOVE YOU DG
<njx9> <3 dg
draftguru151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 06:14 PM    (permalink
Joeyjr09

Quote:
Originally Posted by draftguru151 View Post
Hurricanes and Dolphins combined to score 79 points. o.O

What the hell was that today?
1st the Canes come out and dismantle the Aggies and look like they are on the fast track to challenging for the ACC title. Then the Dolphins come out and absolutely embarass what many considered the most complete team in football.

I know alot of people are going to say we took advantage of Brady not being there and at some level it may partially be true. But Brady doesn't play defense and we dropped 38 point on them. Our OL was dominating their DL and LBs and our sorry WRs were making their DBs look like high schoolers. Not to mention, Brady wouldn't have prevented every sack we got and he certainly couldnt stop the fumbles we caused. Even if they had Brady, we still played well enough to beat any team in the NFL today, which is a far cry from last season.

Man it's great to have a real coach. For all the flak Sparano has gotten so far this season, he proved everyone wrong today. This was the most innovative, well prepared and well executed game plan we have seen from a Dolphins HC in years.
Old 09-21-2008, 08:58 PM    (permalink
Sniper
Legend

Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

How is Jake Long looking so far?
Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 01:38 PM    (permalink
Quagmire
Rookie

Quote:
Have to disagree Ginn. I do think he can be a good WR and be a part of our future but I don't think we will see much of it this season. I also agree with taking him off of punt returns.

Devone Bess is alot shiftier then Ginn which is a huge plus when it comes to punt returns and I although Ginn can break a big one here and there, he also has alot of returns where he gets a big fat zero yards because he isn't elusive enough to break a tackle. Add to the fact that he fair catches alot of returnable balls and he lets alot of balls bounce off the field that he should be catching and there's alot of field position he leaves on the table on a consistent basis. We aren't good enough to afford that. Bess might not break the big one as much as Ginn but as far as punt returns, he gets us better field position on a more consistent basis. I can't argue with that.

On Kick returns it's a different story. There no fair catches or anything like that and they get a chance to get going before they see a defender. Ginn's game breaking ability needs to be on the field for kick returns, no reason not to have him out there.

As far as being a WR. I think he'll be ok. I just don't think his skill set is very good for what we are able to do right now. Ginn is not great at reverses, or runs or anything like that. I know there was hope that we could use him as a decoy in that sense but it just isn't going to happen. He can't break a tackle and he takes too long to get to top speed to really be a threat on reverses and things of that nature.

What he looks lik ehe can do well that is go vertical. He looks like he could be a very good downfield threat. What we need to be using him for is more slants, flys, crossing routes where we can hit him open in towards centerfield while he's in his stride. Those are the types of balls he can excell with. But this WR screen, Reserves, throws in the flats and underneath stuff that we are using him for is just not a good part of his game. His skill set isn't made for that. I don't think that's the coaching staffs fault, I think the problem is that we don't have a QB that can get him the ball where he is most effective.

I think once Henne gets in there, you will see a different Ted Ginn. When we have a guy with an arm that can get him stuff on flys, slants and downfield passes, then he will be a good WR. That's what he can excel at cause he will be in the open field with the use of his full speed and his exceptional hands. Having a WR like that can open the underneath stuff for guys like Bess, Fasano and Ronnie Brown.

I think that's what Ginn will be in the NFL. I don't think hes a number 1 WR but I think he can be a very good number 2 with he ability to stretch the field, make some plays in the deep passing game and open up the underneath routes for others to make plays. But this screen, reverse, underneath stuff they are using him for is just not his game.
I never said that I wanted them to get rid of Ginn, just think that it may happen if he fails to show them what they want. As for Allen, I think he has played pretty well when thrown in there. Definitely no worse than anyone else who they have had man that position. I think with his physical skills, they should at least throw him out there and see if he floats. If not, send him packing at the end of the yr. Another crazy idea with him might be to try and put him on offense. It may seem out there, but there is no doubting his physical ability and he seems to have pretty good ball skills. With this WR corps, throw him in there. You never know.....
Old 09-22-2008, 02:46 PM    (permalink
Joeyjr09

Quote:
I never said that I wanted them to get rid of Ginn, just think that it may happen if he fails to show them what they want. As for Allen, I think he has played pretty well when thrown in there. Definitely no worse than anyone else who they have had man that position. I think with his physical skills, they should at least throw him out there and see if he floats. If not, send him packing at the end of the yr. Another crazy idea with him might be to try and put him on offense. It may seem out there, but there is no doubting his physical ability and he seems to have pretty good ball skills. With this WR corps, throw him in there. You never know.....
He'd basically be a Devone Bess type as a WR and I'd rather develop Bess.

And I wasn't refering to getting rid of Ginn. I was talking about the way we need to use him.

I have to disagree on Allen. Outside of a couple of games, he tends to look lost out there pretty often to me. I constantly see him going the wrong direction and having to recover. If it wasn't for his physical ability, he would give up alot more big plays. Without I doubt I think he looks worse then Hill and Bell and he's about the same as Crocker. Crocker can't tackle, Allen can't cover. I'd rather use him alot on special teams where he does look good at times and see if he impresses a DB needy team enough to give us a low draft pick for him.
Old 09-22-2008, 04:29 PM    (permalink
Finsfan79
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

Finsfan79 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNIPER26 View Post
How is Jake Long looking so far?
depends who you ask. I think he has been solid and improving but really it is still early. I think he still has difficulty with speed rushers but he looks to be getting a better push. I really want to see what happens the second half that is when they need to gell as a line as it is pretty much a full new unit
Finsfan79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 05:45 PM    (permalink
Finsfan79
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

any thoughts on the others durring the bye week?

I hope personally that we see boldin be alright. The gets surprised me beating them specially with such a blow out.

Canes game grrr (I cant think of a better word to describe it personally).

At least the fish made this weekend bearable.

SD really doesnt look as dominating week to week as what we could expect and if LT is injured against us it could be an interesting game coming up at home
Old 10-08-2008, 09:26 PM    (permalink
Finsfan79
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

no comments on doubling our win total from last year? seems like a pretty nice start for the year and unexpected to some. If we had beaten the jets to start the year I wouldnt of been surprised by SD was a very nice win. I do love the start wonder how many we can end up with now :)
Old 10-08-2008, 09:37 PM    (permalink
draftguru151
:/
Legend

draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Ronnie is awesome, Ricky kinda sucks. OL has been great, Chad is easily the best QB we've had in a while. Defense has been ok the past 2 weeks as a unit but nothing great, Jason Ferguson played really well last week, much better than the previous few weeks.

<Gaius_Baltar> That is correct comahan
<vidae> I ******* LOVE YOU DG
<njx9> <3 dg
draftguru151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 08:40 AM    (permalink
Joeyjr09

Quote:
Ronnie is awesome, Ricky kinda sucks. OL has been great, Chad is easily the best QB we've had in a while. Defense has been ok the past 2 weeks as a unit but nothing great, Jason Ferguson played really well last week, much better than the previous few weeks.
Ronnie has been a stud the last 2 weeks, easily the best player on the field (for both sides) during the last 2 weeks.

Ricky has been decent, not great, but solid enough as a backup.

Pennington is the best QB we've had but that's not saying much. The best word for him is efficient. Excited to see where this team goes if/when Henne and his rocket arm develops.

Fasano has been more then I expected. I think we finally got a legit TE threat.

OL has really come together. Jake Long, Samson Satele and Justin Smiley are definately keepers for our future. EK Ndwuke has been solid and should stick as a long term backup. They might let Carey walk and draft a replacement next year. He's gonna command big bucks and he has been pretty ordinary this year. If we have a couple of guys develope between Kirk Barton, Nate Garner, Donald Thomas, and Shawn Murphy over the next year, we will be very solid.

WRs have been getting better. I think Ginn is gonna be ok for us. Not worthy of a number 9 pick but he will develope into a solid number 2 in time. He still pretty raw. Carmarillo has really been impressive and could maybe find a niche with us as a longterm 4th WR (behind Ginn/Whoever we find as a number 1 and Bess in the slot). We'll see, the only locks to be on this team long term in my eyes are Ginn and Bess. I love the idea of trading for Roy Williams as he is still very young, big and physical but I wouldn't give up a 2nd rounder for him. Draft picks are just too valueable in my eyes. I would offer a 3rd and hope they take it. If not, move on and draft whatever good young WR slips into round 2 ala DeSean Jackson last season.

Our DL has been out of this world. Holliday has played much better then last season. Merling and Langford are way exceeding expectations. Ferguson has proven he can still play for a few more years. The biggest surprise in my eyes has been the play of Randy Starks, he has looked great thus far. Great pickup. He is an outstanding rotational player for us. Heck even Soliai has had a serviceable year. We still need to add more NT depth in the future.

LBs have been up and down. Porter and Roth are having good years but Anderson and Moses are non factors. Crowder has some great games where he looks like he's close to breaking out and then he has some games where your surprised he registers as many tackles as he does because you don't even notice him on the field. Ayodele, is nothing more then a stopgap. I expect him to be gone next season.

DBs are by far the worse area of the team. Will Allen is the only CB worth a damn. Lehan, Goodman and Jones are all garbage. Really bad. Yeremiah Bell and Renaldo Hill are pretty good but could certainly be upgraded in the future. Jason Allen still can't get on the field and Chris Crocker might be the softest player in the NFL.

Overall, much better talent and team then I thought coming into the season but there's still certainly alot of areas we need to shore up and improve upon going into next season with DB being at the top of the list.
Old 10-10-2008, 11:06 PM    (permalink
thebow305
All-Pro

Quote:
The defense has much more than ok the last couple of weeks. They sucked the first 2 games, but played very solid against NE, following that up with an unbelievable performance against the Chargers. And Ricky doesn't suck, he is decent, but doesn't get the opportunities, that's all. Ronnie is the real deal, plain and simple!

Old 10-12-2008, 08:57 AM    (permalink
Joeyjr09

Quote:
The defense has much more than ok the last couple of weeks. They sucked the first 2 games, but played very solid against NE, following that up with an unbelievable performance against the Chargers. And Ricky doesn't suck, he is decent, but doesn't get the opportunities, that's all. Ronnie is the real deal, plain and simple!
Ricky has gotten plenty of opportunities this season, he just isn't good enough to taken advantage of them anymore. He's not as quick, not as strong and not as fast as he used to be. He is a decent backup RB now, thats all.
Old 10-15-2008, 11:37 PM    (permalink
johnstonolb
Rookie

johnstonolb is a cocksman.johnstonolb is a cocksman.johnstonolb is a cocksman.johnstonolb is a cocksman.

You might have the best coaching staff in the NFL right now. They seem to work well together and are open to change when needed.

I see you guys raiding the Cowboys frankly for some of your needs. They are so leveraged on money and it is only getting worse.

A guy I can see the team persuing is either Sam Hurd or Miles Austin for WR. Parcells/Ireland are not going WR early. They go big guys normally.

At safety don't be surprised if they pursue Pat Watkins who is a solid SS and Special Teamer. I think he is a FA this offseason.

At LB, also Bobby Carpenter is a guy deep on the bench in Jerry Jones purgatory. Just another guy Parcells wanted and Jones did not who is paying the price. Played well at OLB and was moved inside -- he is not a 3-4 ILB.

BTW, you stole Fasano. Fasano can play -- not Witten but worth a 4th rounder.
johnstonolb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2008, 09:47 AM    (permalink
Quagmire
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnstonolb View Post
You might have the best coaching staff in the NFL right now. They seem to work well together and are open to change when needed.

I see you guys raiding the Cowboys frankly for some of your needs. They are so leveraged on money and it is only getting worse.

A guy I can see the team persuing is either Sam Hurd or Miles Austin for WR. Parcells/Ireland are not going WR early. They go big guys normally.

At safety don't be surprised if they pursue Pat Watkins who is a solid SS and Special Teamer. I think he is a FA this offseason.

At LB, also Bobby Carpenter is a guy deep on the bench in Jerry Jones purgatory. Just another guy Parcells wanted and Jones did not who is paying the price. Played well at OLB and was moved inside -- he is not a 3-4 ILB.

BTW, you stole Fasano. Fasano can play -- not Witten but worth a 4th rounder.
Well, it is nice to see that the coaching staff is improved. They really are a good staff. Not sure if I would call them the best in the league, but best we have seen here in a while. (Although Saban had a pretty good staff while he was here)

I agree that they are not going to spend major $$ or high draft picks on receivers. I would not be surprised if they stick with the familiar ones to them. Although I cannot say that I necessarily agree because I do think they need at least one impact player at the position. Their focus this offseason will be on the back 7 on defense and NT. I think the only thing they do on offense is try to add depth to the line and at TE.
Old 10-17-2008, 10:34 PM    (permalink
thebow305
All-Pro

Quote:
Well, it is nice to see that the coaching staff is improved. They really are a good staff. Not sure if I would call them the best in the league, but best we have seen here in a while. (Although Saban had a pretty good staff while he was here)

I agree that they are not going to spend major $$ or high draft picks on receivers. I would not be surprised if they stick with the familiar ones to them. Although I cannot say that I necessarily agree because I do think they need at least one impact player at the position. Their focus this offseason will be on the back 7 on defense and NT. I think the only thing they do on offense is try to add depth to the line and at TE.
They have to at least take a WR somewhere in the draft. I am holding hope right now that London is a hidden gem for us though and he can contribute big time sometime in the near future. To to mention getting Teddy Ginn on the field more!

Why would we draft a TE? Please answer me that.

Old 10-19-2008, 11:42 PM    (permalink
Joeyjr09

Quote:
They have to at least take a WR somewhere in the draft. I am holding hope right now that London is a hidden gem for us though and he can contribute big time sometime in the near future. To to mention getting Teddy Ginn on the field more!

Why would we draft a TE? Please answer me that.
Ted Ginn is complete garbage. I was hopeful after how he seemed to get better at the end of last year but man is he bad. He seems to get worse every game. His routes haven't improved, he hasn't put on any weight, he doesn't make people miss, he isn't a decoy, he has made any big plays (hell, hed rather run out of bounds). Basically everything we hoped to see from him after we drafted him has been a huge letdown.

I do agree with seeing more of London. He has looked great making plays on ST and I want to see what he can do given real time. Maybe he turns out to be a bigger Patrick Crayton for us. Would be nice.

Also agree that we have ZERO need at TE. Fasano was a steal and is more then capable as a starter, remember he will only get better, its his 1st year starting. Also, David Martin has had a good year and we could resign him to a reasonable extention to be our backup and it wouldn't be a bad idea. TE is fine.

Spend early picks (round 1-3) on DBs, NT and OLB. The midround picks on OT and WR (round 4-5) and the late picks on developmental projects at CB and OL.