Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Miami Dolphins Team Forum

Miami Dolphins Team Forum Discuss the 'Phins

Old 01-09-2007, 10:51 AM    (permalink
Finsfan79
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

Finsfan79 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzlegom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finsfan79
On another note, I think Troy smiths horrible game in a way hurts us for our draft position. If his stock had flown up there by a great game it could of made one of the top elite talent guys fall and slip to us (Gaines adams would be wonderful). Or our make our pick more valuable for a trade back.

Any thoughts on this?
i couldnt see troy smith getting into the top ten no matter how well he played. the only QB who might rise enough to allow someone to fall or increase the trade value of the pick would be if brohm came out and had a great combine, IMO.
good point but the hype machine of the big ten, OSU and ESPN's love of them I figured would help project him higher. Still I would love to see Brohm come out and do very good in the Combine.

The idea of having 3 Legit QB canidates, 1 great DE/OLB, 1 LT, 2 top WR, 1 RB, 1 DT.

After that it seems to drop off for secondary guys and the rest.
Finsfan79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 11:14 AM    (permalink
Ace
Veteran

Ace needs more cowbell.

Don't look now, but from what I have been reading over the past few days, Pete Carroll just might be our next HC. Wayne really likes him alot and he will do anything to bring in the guy he wants.
Ace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 11:27 AM    (permalink
Finsfan79
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

Pete Caroll HC
Norm Chow OC/ Assistant Head Coach (so promotion)
Don Capers DC

interesting. But I really dont like caroll still he is a Wayne type signing as wayne likes the big names,
Old 01-09-2007, 11:37 AM    (permalink
Grizzlegom
Mr. Rogers
All-Pro

Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

could be interesting indeed, but i would really prefer a youn hot shot coordinator or something like that. although im sure carroll could get manny wright turned around.
Grizzlegom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 12:52 PM    (permalink
hasane
Rookie

hasane hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace
Don't look now, but from what I have been reading over the past few days, Pete Carroll just might be our next HC. Wayne really likes him alot and he will do anything to bring in the guy he wants.
Pete Carroll seems like a good coach, but he must be ******** to leave USC for The NFL. He gets paid as much as most NFL Coaches, he has kids begging him for a scholarship to play for him at USC and he goes to a BCS bowl every year.

Not to mention that his USC Team From this year would beat the dolphins if they were to play.
Old 01-09-2007, 01:00 PM    (permalink
Finsfan79
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by hasane
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace
Pete Carroll seems like a good coach, but he must be dumb to leave USC for The NFL. He gets paid as much as most NFL Coaches, he has kids begging him for a scholarship to play for him at USC and he goes to a BCS bowl every year.

Not to mention that his USC Team From this year would beat the dolphins if they were to play.
Disagree with the last statement. The difference in talent and abilities in the pro game to college game is amazing. Even the great canes team of 2001-2002 (often called the greatest team ever for 17 1st rounders and 35 picks in the nfl) would have trouble beating an NFL team.

That said I think his ability to evaluate talent would be interesting as a GM.
Old 01-09-2007, 01:05 PM    (permalink
hasane
Rookie

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace
Pete Carroll seems like a good coach, but he must be dumb to leave USC for The NFL. He gets paid as much as most NFL Coaches, he has kids begging him for a scholarship to play for him at USC and he goes to a BCS bowl every year.

Disagree with the last statement. The difference in talent and abilities in the pro game to college game is amazing. Even the great canes team of 2001-2002 (often called the greatest team ever for 17 1st rounders and 35 picks in the nfl) would have trouble beating an NFL team.

That said I think his ability to evaluate talent would be interesting as a GM.
I think they could take the Raiders and the Lions
Old 01-09-2007, 01:07 PM    (permalink
Grizzlegom
Mr. Rogers
All-Pro

Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Grizzlegom is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace

he hasnt been to good in the NFL but he is definitely a great college coach. he does have a good situation in USC but there has been a lot of officials looking into the university lately for illegal tampering with prospects, especially because of the whole reggie bush thing. it could be a good time for him to get out and be like i had nothing to do with any of that.

but again, i dont think a college coach is the answer, i would really like to see us bring in a young assistant who could stick around for a long time. the average life of a head coach is too short nowadays and id like to see us commit to someone young and have him around for a good 10 years...this is definitely wishful thinking.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 01-09-2007, 01:10 PM    (permalink
hasane
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzlegom
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace

he hasnt been to good in the NFL but he is definitely a great college coach. he does have a good situation in USC but there has been a lot of officials looking into the university lately for illegal tampering with prospects, especially because of the whole reggie bush thing. it could be a good time for him to get out and be like i had nothing to do with any of that.

but again, i dont think a college coach is the answer, i would really like to see us bring in a young assistant who could stick around for a long time. the average life of a head coach is too short nowadays and id like to see us commit to someone young and have him around for a good 10 years...this is definitely wishful thinking.
I would really like it if the Dolphins tried to get the OC from USC to be the Dolphins OC his name is Lane Kiffin, the son of Tampa's DC
Old 01-09-2007, 02:36 PM    (permalink
Athrun340
Rookie

Athrun340 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by reese
Quote:
Not every team in the NFL has a number 1. We do not have one. We have 2 number 2s and a number 3 in Welker.

Chamber is a number 2. Actually some teams have number 2s that are better then him.

Wayne and Boldin for 2 of them :)

Get us a QB, and a number 1, slide chambers to number 2. Then use Ronnie brown correctly and our team can become an offensive force.

We still need a Left Tackle too overall.

no ur wrong we actually have a no. 1 it is chris chambers...if the coach says in a press conference that CC is our no 1 guy and we need to find ways to get him the ball..then that tells me we have a no 1
They threw to him more then anyone in the NFL except 4 people this year. Out over 200 WRs and TEs in the NFL. There was only 4 People that got thrown to more then Chris Chambers this year!

He does not have the numbers of a number 1. Not every team has a number 1 dude. Plain and simple.

Who is SF's number 1? Who is Minnesota's number 1? Chris is a good number 2 WR, he is above average and if he becomes more consistent and catches balls easier (less drops) he will end up becoming a number 1. But, at this point in his career he has not shown himself to be a number 1.
well the question is the quality of throws joey harrington gave him ..
Old 01-09-2007, 02:49 PM    (permalink
draftguru151
:/
Legend

draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Thank you. Look who is throwing to Chris Chambers. Look at a guy like Calvin Johnson. The completion % for passes thrown to him is around 50%. But he may be the best WR prospect ever. Chambers does not have the caliber QB those other guys have. You talked about Donald Driver. Look who he has throwing to him. Chambers is a #1 receiver in the NFL. There are not 32 WRs better than him. Using stats and thinking is is 100% truth doesn't make sense. You have to look at the situations these guys are in.

Also if Troy Smith had the best game ever he might have been a late round 1 guy at best.

<Gaius_Baltar> That is correct comahan
<vidae> I ******* LOVE YOU DG
<njx9> <3 dg
draftguru151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 03:05 PM    (permalink
BehrenMan007
Pro Bowler

BehrenMan007 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

dg, where do u see troy smith being drafted now?

credit to cardsalltheway
BehrenMan007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 03:07 PM    (permalink
Finsfan79
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by draftguru151
Thank you. Look who is throwing to Chris Chambers. Look at a guy like Calvin Johnson. The completion % for passes thrown to him is around 50%. But he may be the best WR prospect ever. Chambers does not have the caliber QB those other guys have. You talked about Donald Driver. Look who he has throwing to him. Chambers is a #1 receiver in the NFL. There are not 32 WRs better than him. Using stats and thinking is is 100% truth doesn't make sense. You have to look at the situations these guys are in.

Also if Troy Smith had the best game ever he might have been a late round 1 guy at best.
I detailed that in my talks over and over again. My point though to counter that is there is Not 32 Number 1s in the NFL. Some teams have players that act as their number one target, but they are not an elite WR.

Chambers is not a top 10 or top 15 WR in the NFL right now. Even though I love the guy on the fins and wouldnt trade him. He is a great number 2
Old 01-09-2007, 03:12 PM    (permalink
draftguru151
Legend

draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BehrenMan007
dg, where do u see troy smith being drafted now?
Right now second round, maybe third. It really depends on his workouts and how tall he actually is.

<njx9> <3 dg
Old 01-09-2007, 03:21 PM    (permalink
draftguru151
Legend

Quote:
Quote:

I detailed that in my talks over and over again. My point though to counter that is there is Not 32 Number 1s in the NFL. Some teams have players that act as their number one target, but they are not an elite WR.

Chambers is not a top 10 or top 15 WR in the NFL right now. Even though I love the guy on the fins and wouldnt trade him. He is a great number 2
That doesn't make any sense then. He isn't a top 15 guy so he isn't a #1? Chris Chambers is not a #2. He isn't a complementary guy. He has shown he can dominate. He led the AFC in TDs last year. He is one of the best redzone threats in the NFL and with a guy that could actually throw a deep ball last year he got by DBs multiple times. No he isn't going to get 1000 yards or catch 100 balls but he is a very good receiver. This year can not be put all on him. Yes he struggled, but he had Joey Harrington who couldn't throw a deep ball to save his life.

<njx9> <3 dg
Old 01-09-2007, 03:23 PM    (permalink
Athrun340
Rookie

Athrun340 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Quote:

how can he be a top 15 WR in the nfl if the offense has no continuity

7 qbs in his 6 year career in the nfl

gus
culpepper
fiedler
sage
lemon
feeley
harrington

3 head coaches (about to be 4)

saban
bates
wanndstedt

offensive coordinators

mularkey
linehan
turner
gailey

IMO thats like going to 7 different teams in your career .. theres no CHEMISTRY at all
Old 01-09-2007, 03:39 PM    (permalink
Finsfan79
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athrun340
Quote:
Quote:

how can he be a top 15 WR in the nfl if the offense has no continuity

7 qbs in his 6 year career in the nfl

gus
culpepper
fiedler
sage
lemon
feeley
harrington

3 head coaches (about to be 4)

saban
bates
wanndstedt

offensive coordinators

mularkey
linehan
turner
gailey

IMO thats like going to 7 different teams in your career .. theres no CHEMISTRY at all
Which adds into my opinion of his lack of being a number 1 in the NFL yet he has the potential to be a good wr. He has not put up the production so far to be worthy of the title of a number 1 elite WR in the NFL. I went into the fact of the lack of continuity and also into the lack of players around CC. But, all together he has no produced in the fashion of being a number 1. Eventually one needs to look at the potential and talent and just decide perhaps it is what it is. Perhaps part of the debate here is how you view a number 1.

I believe that just because a WR is the top WR on a team does not make him a number 1 WR in the NFL. A number 1 WR in the NFL is an elite WR that stands out above others on their team and could go to almost any team and be the leader of that team.

Marvin Harrison, Torry Holt, Boldin, Fitzgerald, etc etc etc.

I dont believe there is 20 or even 30 number 1s in the NFL currently. I see them as being a top elite player at that position. I do not prescribe to the notion that SF has a number 1 type of WR, or atlanta having a number 1.

I am not trying to bash chris and I am not saying trade chris like another suggested. My premise is simply right now he is really a number 2 type of wr. An above league average WR that can make some big plays but is inconsistent and often shows it as less then an Elite type of guys.
Old 01-10-2007, 01:22 AM    (permalink
hasane
Rookie

Hey guys here's a site that has all of the top UFA and RFA.

http://www.footballsfuture.com/2007/nfl/freeagents.html
Old 01-10-2007, 07:13 AM    (permalink
I'mAHustler
Veteran

I'mAHustler hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I hope Calvin Johnson somehow falls. :shock:

We need to hurry and sign a coach or our organization is going to run itself around in circles

He'll probably end up being a WR or something...
I'mAHustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 07:18 AM    (permalink
I'mAHustler
Veteran

I'mAHustler hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

And am I the only person that thinks that drafting a QB would be a terrible decision? Why have so many people given up on Culpepper without him even playing a full healthly season? I don't understand it, he needs to be given a true chance before everyone is ready to throw him under the bus.

He'll probably end up being a WR or something...
I'mAHustler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 08:41 AM    (permalink
Grizzlegom
Mr. Rogers
All-Pro

people have given up on C-pep because hes been injured the past two years and hes hitting the ripe age of 30 this year. granted i know that isnt old but culpepper is a MUCH worse QB without his mobility and noone knows if he will be able to regain that mobility with the reconstructed knee. in addition, as he gets older, the physical beating hes taken his whole career plus the weight he carries will cause his body to deteriorate faster than others. im not saying he cant have 5 more productive seasons, i just dont know how much faith the organization or fans have in him.

i dont think we should draft a QB in the 1st round but i would love drew stanton in round 2 because that way he could sit a couple of years behind culpepper. plus we havent drafted a QB since marino retired (ok we took one in like the 6th round one year i think?) and it would just be nice to see this organization bring in some youth through the draft and commit to developing someone to be the starter that was grown in-house instead of continuing to trade or sign other teams backups. plus there is no depth cause if c-pep goes down i have little faith in lemon or harrington.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 01-10-2007, 10:37 AM    (permalink
Grizzlegom
Mr. Rogers
All-Pro

on the coaching search, martz was invterviewed and it looks like brian schottenheimer and mike singletary are next up. and maybe an official interview for bates.

A source said the Dolphins will meet with Detroit Lions offensive coordinator Mike Martz, and the Newark Star-Ledger reported that they'll also meet with Jets offensive coordinator Brian Schottenheimer, son of San Diego Chargers coach Marty Schottenheimer, in the next few days.
Bailey also lauded San Francisco 49ers assistant head coach and linebackers coach Mike Singletary, hinting at an upcoming interview. Former Dolphins interim head coach Jim Bates is also believed to be under consideration.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/s...a-sports-front

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 01-10-2007, 10:57 AM    (permalink
Finsfan79
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

My favorite possible offseason/draft would be the following:

Sign Samuels CB NE in the offseason away

(saw this recently in the mock area I like the idea)
Trade back to the 15th pick with Pitt and pick up a 2nd and 5th rounder.

1st Ginn Jr WR - We will most likely lose Welker to FA, Booker could be a cap loss. Ginn gives us a speedburner which we havent had for a while and a return man as well. Brohm if he is there also.

2nd Jared Gaither - LT - Monsterously huge left tackle, just like houck likes them. He gave up 2 sacks in 2 years there in college. He is a big beast and would be perfect for ronnie to run behind. Mac is a FA, James a cap loss. Toledo seems a good canidate for LG and Shelton has fit in well at RG and Carey is a good RT. Gaither will sure up the line which is key for the future of the fins.

2nd Josh Beekman - OG - Powerful guard that could make an instant impact for the team joining us to fill up the other guard position, it allows us to dump James (4+ million next year) and not depend on toledo getting healthy.

3rd Brandon Merriweather - S - Gives us another great secondary player. Dropped for problems on and off the field with the fight and all but he is a top flight safety and would be a late 1st otherwise perhaps early 2nd.

This draft would give us a WR Core with Chambers and Ginn Jr, Hagan and Vick and others. A nice young core of WRs and save money from booker being gone (traded for a 5th or cut, save 4 million for FA).

New Oline

RT Carey
RG Shelton
C Rex
LG Beekman
LT Gaither

Keep Macintosh for a backup, Toldeo as well in there as well.

Secondary

CB W Allen
CB A Samuels
S Y Bell
S B Merriweather

J Allen as well fits in wherever we can get him playing time. Daniels as a nickel/dime.

thoughts? Saves us a large amount of money and also gets us a young good oline and defensive secondary.
Old 01-10-2007, 11:27 AM    (permalink
hasane
Rookie

Quote:
My favorite possible offseason/draft would be the following:

Sign Samuels CB NE in the offseason away

(saw this recently in the mock area I like the idea)
Trade back to the 15th pick with Pitt and pick up a 2nd and 5th rounder.

1st Ginn Jr WR - We will most likely lose Welker to FA, Booker could be a cap loss. Ginn gives us a speedburner which we havent had for a while and a return man as well. Brohm if he is there also.

2nd Jared Gaither - LT - Monsterously huge left tackle, just like houck likes them. He gave up 2 sacks in 2 years there in college. He is a big beast and would be perfect for ronnie to run behind. Mac is a FA, James a cap loss. Toledo seems a good canidate for LG and Shelton has fit in well at RG and Carey is a good RT. Gaither will sure up the line which is key for the future of the fins.

2nd Josh Beekman - OG - Powerful guard that could make an instant impact for the team joining us to fill up the other guard position, it allows us to dump James (4+ million next year) and not depend on toledo getting healthy.

3rd Brandon Merriweather - S - Gives us another great secondary player. Dropped for problems on and off the field with the fight and all but he is a top flight safety and would be a late 1st otherwise perhaps early 2nd.

This draft would give us a WR Core with Chambers and Ginn Jr, Hagan and Vick and others. A nice young core of WRs and save money from booker being gone (traded for a 5th or cut, save 4 million for FA).

New Oline

RT Carey
RG Shelton
C Rex
LG Beekman
LT Gaither

Keep Macintosh for a backup, Toldeo as well in there as well.

Secondary

CB W Allen
CB A Samuels
S Y Bell
S B Merriweather

J Allen as well fits in wherever we can get him playing time. Daniels as a nickel/dime.

thoughts? Saves us a large amount of money and also gets us a young good oline and defensive secondary.
I love the draft and the Samuel signing except for the G in the second, i would prefer to get a OLB to replace spragan and get a guard later in the draft. He just doesn't cut it anymore.
Old 01-10-2007, 11:30 AM    (permalink
Finsfan79
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

I agree he doesnt but I think we can replace him in FA with someone. Just not sure whom yet. I need to look it all over more. I just gotta wonder if we keep the 3-4 or switch to the 4-3