Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

View Poll Results: do you enjoy preseason games
yes 55 72.37%
no 21 27.63%
Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-10-2007, 11:46 AM    (permalink
alca1992
Veteran

alca1992 could make a wolverine purr.alca1992 could make a wolverine purr.alca1992 could make a wolverine purr.alca1992 could make a wolverine purr.alca1992 could make a wolverine purr.alca1992 could make a wolverine purr.alca1992 could make a wolverine purr.alca1992 could make a wolverine purr.alca1992 could make a wolverine purr.
Default am i the only one who enjoys preseason games

well just wondering.i love to see the rookies play the new players on new teams and all that. i still wish they elimanate 2 games and add them to the regular season yough.
Old 08-10-2007, 11:51 AM    (permalink
JK17
Pro Bowler

JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.

I like the four preseason games, I think it gives enough time for the players to get warmed up, the rookies adjusted, etc., whereas two may be cutting it short.

To be honest I have very little interest in anyone's preseason games but the Chargers. I'll watch them if they are on tv, but not nearly as much as I would watch a regular season game, or Chargers game. Mainly because, well I don't care too much about Cincinnati's third string quarterback, or the Colts second string defense. I'm sure Bengals and Colts fans do, but I care more about their first string, and how the Chargers are going to measure up...

Then again, its football. And I sure do miss watching football.
JK17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 11:54 AM    (permalink
neko4
All-NFLDC

neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

No, cuz i hate seeing guys get hurt so early in the year. There should only be 3 games, with shortened quarters
neko4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 12:39 PM    (permalink
PackerLegend
Pro Bowler

PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PackerLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

yes cant wait to see the packers play again and ill watch the whole game. i watched a the colts and the cowboys yesterday but after the 1st string comes out i start to lose interest.

I really only care about the packers preseason games but i will watch other games if there on but not the whole thing.

Sick Sig By BoneKrusher
PackerLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 12:43 PM    (permalink
Turtlepower
All-Pro

Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I enjoy watching them, but I hate it when people over anaylize them. I just heard someone on this board talk about the lack of depth in the Bengals defense because they let the Lions get back in the game. The teams are not trying to win the games. Coaches are trying to see which units mesh well together and who can out perform who in a game-like situation. There are many more important factors to pre-season games than winning, but people fail to see that. People also tend to see someone underperform to their expectations and then write them off before the season starts. It's the pre-season. I enjoy watching it because it is football, but I don't care too much to discuss it in-depth.

^Bad ass sig by fenikz^

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halsey View Post
I don't have to watch it to know it was not interesting.
Giants, ASU Sun Devils, Yankees
Turtlepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 12:43 PM    (permalink
PalmerToCJ
Team Leader
All-Pro

PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I like watching some of the Bengals young backups play almost more than the starters.

The 4th game is usually hard to watch, us vs. the Colts and neither team plays their starters and by the second half no one that will make the team plays.

EDIT: Yeah the guy that said the Bengals lacked defensive depth because the Lions got back in the game has no idea what he's talking about. With 7 minutes left the Lions only scored 10 points and then they scored the rest vs. players that won't make the team (less Ndukwe, White and Rashad Jeanty who is our SLB but was playing some DE).

Last edited by PalmerToCJ : 08-10-2007 at 12:45 PM.
PalmerToCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 12:51 PM    (permalink
Stufazz
Veteran

Stufazz hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtlepower View Post
I enjoy watching them, but I hate it when people over anaylize them. I just heard someone on this board talk about the lack of depth in the Bengals defense because they let the Lions get back in the game. The teams are not trying to win the games. Coaches are trying to see which units mesh well together and who can out perform who in a game-like situation. There are many more important factors to pre-season games than winning, but people fail to see that. People also tend to see someone underperform to their expectations and then write them off before the season starts. It's the pre-season. I enjoy watching it because it is football, but I don't care too much to discuss it in-depth.
i agree i hate comentators too that when a good play is made by a player they make some exageratted remark about their development.

but i love seeing all of the rookies taken late and practice squad players battle it out.

Hitman D for the sweet sig
Stufazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 12:56 PM    (permalink
Turtlepower
All-Pro

Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stufazz View Post
but i love seeing all of the rookies taken late and practice squad players battle it out.
That is by far the best part of the game. They really are working the butts off trying to make the team, so they give 110%.

^Bad ass sig by fenikz^

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halsey View Post
I don't have to watch it to know it was not interesting.
Giants, ASU Sun Devils, Yankees
Turtlepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 01:10 PM    (permalink
LSUALUM99
Veteran

LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LSUALUM99 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I enjoy them quite a good bit.

They are pure entertainment (if it's a team that I follow) but for a completely different reason than the regular season.

Designs by Thule

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMWSackMachine View Post
I just wanna warn you guys not to take TNew41 too seriously. He's....let's just say, special. He's fairly harmless, though. He just needs several years of seasoning before he tries to make any more points, is all.
LSUALUM99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 01:11 PM    (permalink
#1chiefs_fan

I like it because it gives key veterans time to rest and get ready for the real deal. It gives rookies who may have slipped through cracks a chance to prove themselves.
Old 08-10-2007, 01:15 PM    (permalink
Smooth Criminal
All-NFLDC

Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I like the steelers preseason games but thats all I can stand to watch. I just don't care about wstching Dallas practice squad players.

Thanks to The Dynasty for the sig
Smooth Criminal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 01:25 PM    (permalink
Staubach12
All-Pro

Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I enjoy it because you can see the depth on your team, you get to see your team suite up for the first time of the year. It gets me reved up for the real season.

BoneKrusher
Staubach12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 01:27 PM    (permalink
Philliez01
All-Pro

Philliez01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Philliez01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Philliez01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Philliez01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Philliez01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Philliez01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Philliez01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Philliez01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Philliez01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Philliez01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Philliez01 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I like watching the backups and getting the teasers of seeing the Calvin Johnsons (hehe, Johnsons), AD, amongst the others.

I'm just glad to see football again...

Give JKPIGSKIN credit for this masterpiece
Philliez01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 01:55 PM    (permalink
AlexDown
Pro Bowler

AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.

The only thing that is on the line is players health. It's not fun watching when the outcome means nothing. I had no idea these games started already.
Old 08-10-2007, 02:03 PM    (permalink
DMWSackMachine
The Truth
Veteran

DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

No matter what veteran players or tv analysts say, preseason is often the harbinger of future production for young players. Of course there are cases of fools-gold, but for the most part, if a player is going to do well in the upcoming season, he shows it first in preseason. Often times a player will do well in preseason, and then have an uneventful season, but then break out the next year.

So, that is the biggest thing for me. People may not remember, but last season in Dallas' first preseason game, Tony Romo played the entire game and was absolutely fantastic. He had a streak of 10+ completions and completely controlled the game. That was the first time I allowed myself to hope that he would be a future starter for us--let alone a star. Looking back (I have the game on DVD) it is fascinating to see a player in the early stages of making it in the NFL after coming up with no fanfare and no expectations. THAT is the allure of watching preseason games for me. Who knows when you will be watching the birth of a legend.

Can you imagine watching Montana's first preseason game? A late 3rd rounder on a team with a new coach that had lain dormant for years and years? Wow.
DMWSackMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 02:09 PM    (permalink
Splat
Legend

Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I get in to the first pre season game the most then after that I still watch the next three for sure but I'm ready for the real thing.
Old 08-10-2007, 02:19 PM    (permalink
yodabear
Magic Fingers
Legend

yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yodabear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

No, I don't like them. Starters only get significant playing time in two games, the second and third one, so I think they should cut it down to two games cuz I do not enjoy watching Dave Ragone.
Old 08-10-2007, 02:21 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It has its pros and cons. You get to see your draft picks on the field and do some evaluation of their potential. On the other hand, you hate injuries, and the games themselves get very dull with the vanilla plays and after the 2nd quarter, its pretty much bleh.
Old 08-10-2007, 02:55 PM    (permalink
PalmerToCJ
Team Leader
All-Pro

PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PalmerToCJ is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Yeah watching defenses sitting back in zones and 2nd/3rd string quarterbacks is rough so I just mostly focus on the OL/DL/LB's.

I can't stand watching the Bengals offense once Dough Johnson comes in, ruins everything lol. The defense I can watch pretty much the whole game and it doesn't bother me, I just hate seeing them in zone so much.
PalmerToCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 03:12 PM    (permalink
skinzzfan25
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

skinzzfan25 is so money.skinzzfan25 is so money.skinzzfan25 is so money.skinzzfan25 is so money.skinzzfan25 is so money.skinzzfan25 is so money.skinzzfan25 is so money.skinzzfan25 is so money.skinzzfan25 is so money.skinzzfan25 is so money.skinzzfan25 is so money.

I do like the fact that a lot of young players battle it out and try to earn positions. I don't like the chance of a starter getting hurt though. And most of the games are pretty boring. But I'm still going to watch em :P
Old 08-10-2007, 03:22 PM    (permalink
duckseason
All-Pro

duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Seems odd that we would see more than 1 or 2 no votes, especially on a draft nerd site such as this. I love the preseason games. It gives us a chance to get a look at all the players we won't be seeing later in the year. And it's FOOTBALL. We wait all spring/summer for it to come back. Now it's here. Love it.
Old 08-10-2007, 03:43 PM    (permalink
Veteran

255979119 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

You're not the only one enjoying pre-season games. Hence the sold out stadiums.
255979119 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 03:44 PM    (permalink
alca1992
Veteran

alca1992 could make a wolverine purr.alca1992 could make a wolverine purr.alca1992 could make a wolverine purr.alca1992 could make a wolverine purr.alca1992 could make a wolverine purr.alca1992 could make a wolverine purr.alca1992 could make a wolverine purr.alca1992 could make a wolverine purr.alca1992 could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 255979119 View Post
what are you talking about when football tickets are only a couple bucks of coure people are gonna go
Old 08-10-2007, 03:45 PM    (permalink
duckseason
All-Pro

duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 255979119 View Post
Apparently you didn't catch the Lions game last night....hahaha

Oh, wait, we're talking about NFL preseason. n/m
Old 08-10-2007, 03:49 PM    (permalink
doingthisinsteadofwork
All-Pro

doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.

Yes its funny to watch Tim Couch try and play football.