Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

Old 08-11-2007, 11:42 AM    (permalink
dre1614
Rookie

dre1614 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.
Default 100 Greatest QB's of the modern era

This is just one mans opinion, but he seemed to put alot of thought into it.

Its based mostly on stats FYI

http://www.armchairgm.com/index.php?... he_Modern_Era

His top 20

#1 Johnny Unitas
#2 Joe Montana
#3 Fran Tarkenton
#4 Dan Marino
#5 John Elway
#6 Steve Young
#7 Ken Anderson
#8 Dan Fouts
#9 Brett Favre
#10 Roger Staubach
#11 Sonny Jurgensen
#12 Len Dawson
#13 Bart Starr
#14 Warren Moon
#15 Peyton Manning
#16 Roman Gabriel
#17 Norm Van brocklin
#18 Y.A. Tittle
#19 Terry Bradshaw
#20 Bob Griese

Not Ranked are Otto Graham, Sammy Baugh, Sid Luckman

Those three are not ranked, as they played most (if not all) of their career before the 1950 cutoff date, but all three would rank in the Top 20 if their pre-1950 stats were included.

Its pretty interesting, and obviously no list is 100% accurate, and there are going to be people who disagree, with any list, but i thought he did a good job with it.

Oh and he gives a description on each QB also if you go to the site.

ps:

The Rankings

Today, we're going to look at the most valuable quarterbacks since 1950. For every QB, I added up their career PAR totals, which served as a starting point, and I then added bonus points for postseason success, including Super Bowl wins, NFL or AFL Championship Game victories, and (least of all) Super Bowl losses. Of course, I didn't slavishly follow the resulting list when formulating my Top 100, but the results do factor heavily into my final list of the top quarterbacks since 1950. Now, to the rankings!

(Note: The stats on this page have been normalized to 2006's environment, and all seasons -- including the strike year in 1982 -- were pro-rated to a 16-game schedule. For instance, I know that Johnny Unitas did not throw for more than 4,000 yards in 1957, but his 2,550 yards that year are equivalent to 4,339 in 2006. For more information about PAR and the other advanced stats below, go here. Also, credit for the database is due to Doug Drinen and the great folks at Pro-Football-Reference. You guys rock!)

Last edited by dre1614 : 08-11-2007 at 11:51 AM.
dre1614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 11:53 AM    (permalink
skinzzfan25
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

skinzzfan25 is so money.skinzzfan25 is so money.skinzzfan25 is so money.skinzzfan25 is so money.skinzzfan25 is so money.skinzzfan25 is so money.skinzzfan25 is so money.skinzzfan25 is so money.skinzzfan25 is so money.skinzzfan25 is so money.skinzzfan25 is so money.

Mark 'Noodle Arm' Brunell at 23.

haahhaaaha. I mean I know he was pretty good with the Jags, but no way should he be above Cunningham, Esiason or Simms.
Old 08-11-2007, 12:06 PM    (permalink
Splat
Legend

Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I love Johnny U as much as the next guy but #1?

1.Joe Montana
2.John Elway
3.Dan Marino

I left off any one playing right now but Manning and Brady are flying up the list each year.

Last edited by Splat : 08-11-2007 at 12:10 PM.
Splat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 12:11 PM    (permalink
SubNoize
Veteran

SubNoize is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SubNoize is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SubNoize is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SubNoize is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SubNoize is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SubNoize is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SubNoize is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SubNoize is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SubNoize is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SubNoize is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SubNoize is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

wow half of those QBs played for Oak when they started sucking...
SubNoize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 12:21 PM    (permalink
JK17
Pro Bowler

JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.

Wow, that looks like it just might have taken a while for him to do...

Right or wrong, that's some impressive effort
JK17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 12:21 PM    (permalink
tylerb929
Rookie

tylerb929 is a cocksman.tylerb929 is a cocksman.tylerb929 is a cocksman.tylerb929 is a cocksman.tylerb929 is a cocksman.

His method for adjusting stats is pretty dumb. Stats are stats for a reason, they are facts, its what really happened, you don't use multipliers and factors to adjust them and claim them as stats. The whole method is pretty dumb.

You can't claim a certain QB would throw X amount of TDs in todays game due to this or that, he didn't do it back then so you can't claim he'd do it today.
tylerb929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 12:27 PM    (permalink
JK17
Pro Bowler

JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.JK17 could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerb929 View Post
His method for adjusting stats is pretty dumb. Stats are stats for a reason, they are facts, its what really happened, you don't use multipliers and factors to adjust them and claim them as stats. The whole method is pretty dumb.

You can't claim a certain QB would throw X amount of TDs in todays game due to this or that, he didn't do it back then so you can't claim he'd do it today.
Well using stats as a sole justification for anything is dumb, just like you can't assume QB X would have thrown 40 TD's were he playing in 2006, you can't assume QB Y is better then him because he did, despite playing in a much better era for passers, with more games, and more developed offenses. Which is why stats should be minimal in justification of rankings like these.

But in terms of extrapolating, adjusting, and doing whatever else he had to do with those stats, he sure as hell put in a lot of work to do it, even if its wrong.
JK17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 12:31 PM    (permalink
BuckNaked
All-NFLDC

BuckNaked is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckNaked is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckNaked is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckNaked is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckNaked is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckNaked is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckNaked is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckNaked is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckNaked is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckNaked is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckNaked is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Love how he's got Tarkenton at #3. Even though he probably doesn't deserve to be there.
BuckNaked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 12:51 PM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

hmmmmm.....Favre at 9

Follow me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/#!/aMo_Captain
princefielder28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 01:36 PM    (permalink
Ward
Administrator
All-NFLDC

Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If someone can't explain to me where Troy Aikman is on this list, I'm just going to close it.
Ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 01:37 PM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ward View Post
If someone can't explain to me where Troy Aikman is on this list, I'm just going to close it.
he's number 33

Follow me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/#!/aMo_Captain
princefielder28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 01:39 PM    (permalink
BuckNaked
All-NFLDC

BuckNaked is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckNaked is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckNaked is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckNaked is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckNaked is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckNaked is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckNaked is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckNaked is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckNaked is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckNaked is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BuckNaked is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ward View Post
Maybe somebody can explain to me why Aaron Brooks and Jake Plummer are on this list.
BuckNaked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 01:43 PM    (permalink
dre1614
Rookie

dre1614 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckNaked View Post
Maybe somebody can explain to me why Aaron Brooks and Jake Plummer are on this list.
#97: Aaron Brooks - Brooksie's career as a viable starter is most likely over after last year's debacle in Oakland, but for a time, he was a pretty decent QB who could run and pass a little. Admittedly, his best seasons (2001-2004) look better on paper than they did in real life, but even Football Outsiders saw his 2003 as being very good. And they hate Aaron Brooks!

#91: Jake Plummer - Jake The Snake's 1999 season with Arizona is the second-worst quarterbacking season since 1950. It's actually amazing that he was able to bounce back from it to become a pretty good starter later in his career.
dre1614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 02:12 PM    (permalink
nobodyinparticular
Hall of Famer
Legend

nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.nobodyinparticular is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Interesting to see Gannon and Stabler back to back at 35 and 36.

Oldie but a goodie.
nobodyinparticular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 03:03 PM    (permalink
keylime_5
All-NFLDC

keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Where is Otto Graham? He is undisputedly one of the top 10, maybe even top 5 QBs of all time. He only played in 10 straight championship games. It's not like Graham didn't play in the 1950s, and that is where the "modern era" should start. They should've made the cutoff date farther back than the 60s.
Old 08-11-2007, 03:05 PM    (permalink
yourfavestoner
#1 Vickscuser
All-NFLDC

yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splat420 View Post
I love Johnny U as much as the next guy but #1?

1.Joe Montana
2.John Elway
3.Dan Marino

I left off any one playing right now but Manning and Brady are flying up the list each year.
In case you didn't know, Unitas is widely, widely regarded as the best quarterback to ever play.
yourfavestoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 03:15 PM    (permalink
yo123
Legend

yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yo123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Actually most people Ive talked to think its Montana. BTW this guy is a complete joke
yo123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 03:38 PM    (permalink
Ward
Administrator
All-NFLDC

Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Here are some QBs he has ranked over Aikman:

Joe "More INTs than TDs" Namath
Steve McNair
Craig Morton
Randall Cunningham
Mark Brunell

And a bunch of non-NFL oddballs.
Ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 03:41 PM    (permalink
wiscbadgerfootball
Pro Bowler

wiscbadgerfootball is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wiscbadgerfootball is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wiscbadgerfootball is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wiscbadgerfootball is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wiscbadgerfootball is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wiscbadgerfootball is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wiscbadgerfootball is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wiscbadgerfootball is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wiscbadgerfootball is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wiscbadgerfootball is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wiscbadgerfootball is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

wow this list is wack I may be somewhat of a Packers homer but Brett Favre deserses to be top 5 IMO.

sig by me.. first in ages, pm with requests
wiscbadgerfootball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 03:45 PM    (permalink
Splat
Legend

Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Splat is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourfavestoner View Post
In case you didn't know, Unitas is widely, widely regarded as the best quarterback to ever play.
By who? I love Johnny U as much as the next guy top five sure #1 not so much.
Old 08-11-2007, 04:40 PM    (permalink
TitleTown088
All-NFLDC

TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Terrible list. Favre should be AT LEASED #1...

What do the vikings and marijuana have in common? Every time you put them in a bowl
they get smoked.

2010-2011 Super Bowl Champions
Hint:Not the Bears.
TitleTown088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 04:40 PM    (permalink
BigDawg819
All-NFLDC

BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BigDawg819 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Johnny U is the only answer to the question of who's number 1? He revolutionized the position and the game as well. Without his success in those formative years the QB position wouldn't be where its at today. He gets the nod not only for his stats, which were incredible in his time, but also for changing the position and being one the greatest field generals ever.

Magical sig by OSUGiants

SSAEL....... its a new revolution!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Job View Post
On another note, Nicklas Backstrom is amazingly good.
Quote:
Meanwhile, in hockey the other night, the Washington Capitals' Eric Belanger gets hit with a stick, loses EIGHT teeth, has an instant root canal in the locker room, comes back out and PLAYS and never says boo.

So new rule, NBA: Unless you have a root canal at halftime, SHUT UP AND PLAY!
BigDawg819 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 04:44 PM    (permalink
nfrillman
Veteran

nfrillman could make a wolverine purr.nfrillman could make a wolverine purr.nfrillman could make a wolverine purr.nfrillman could make a wolverine purr.nfrillman could make a wolverine purr.nfrillman could make a wolverine purr.nfrillman could make a wolverine purr.nfrillman could make a wolverine purr.nfrillman could make a wolverine purr.

Wow, just wow. That is one of the worst lists I have seen in some time. Brunell in front of Esiason, Simms, Kelly, and others. Aaron Brooks being on the list. I don't want to sound like a homer, but wouldn't you all agree that Bulger should be ahead of Brooks on something like this, I mean wow. I know this guy was trying to equate different eras, but when he started using his formula and the rankings started coming out so crazy, he should have tried to fine tune the system.

I am done arguing, until somebody says something stupid.
nfrillman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 06:33 PM    (permalink
Crazy_Chris
Pro Bowler

Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Crazy_Chris is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

good to see Tarkenton getting some of the respect he deserves.
Crazy_Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 06:41 PM    (permalink
neko4
All-NFLDC

neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splat420 View Post
By who? I love Johnny U as much as the next guy top five sure #1 not so much.
The guy ended his career with a couple championships and had set like 20+records i think, he held the TD record for awhile, until Fran came along
And Anderson and Fouts are ten spots too high

Last edited by neko4 : 08-11-2007 at 06:58 PM.
neko4 is offline   Reply With Quote