Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > The Locker Room > Fantasy

Fantasy Fantasy Sports and Forum Mocks

Old 08-27-2013, 07:24 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
So to hit that mark we would have to start 2 weeks later then? Is that really that big of a difference? Then it would be September 2nd and we would have 4-5 teams missing players, on top of rushing everyone that much more the closer September gets. Le'Veon Bell got hurt in August, during the pre-season, I just don't know of a start time we could do that wouldn't leave players susceptible for pre-season injuries.
There's no need to be a dick about this, but to answer your question, yes Fewer preseason injury losses benefits everyone. There's absolutely no rational reason that we draft so early.
Old 08-27-2013, 07:27 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
OK 4 divisions it is unless there is a huge outcry.

Teams play within the division twice a year plus 4 non-division games. Division winners make the playoffs. Next best 2 teams earn Wild card spots for the playoffs.

The best 2 of the 4 Division winners earn Bye Weeks in Round 1 of the playoffs. I think that fairly rewards them for having great seasons. I personally hate seeing teams do well during the regular season only to see them out in Round 1. Therefore, I am reducing the playoff teams to 6 instead of 8. WAR.

I don't have the greatest way of organizing divisions because a snake style order using the draft order benefits some divisions because there are 5 rounds. Snake style orders usually only work when there is an even number of rounds to go around. So after several different attempts of changing teams around, I ultimately grouped it together like this. It's a little random but not really. There is a power balance throughout.

I think it works for the fairness and funness for all. I can see some bitter match ups for sure! :)

The number next to the team is how they finished according to last season.
Whoa, whoa ... this is the complete opposite of what I was suggesting we do. I would have rather stuck with the system we had last year, even though it had flaws.

Anyone else feel this way? It's less fun by having us play four other teams twice. I want to play a variety of teams, not a small handful.

Also, reducing the number of playoff teams is a bad call. It will make the finish to the regular season much less exciting and far fewer teams will be active at the trade deadline then. Complacency will set in much earlier if teams are fighting for fewer playoff spots.

What is so wrong with have zero divisions and a randomized, balanced schedule?
Old 08-27-2013, 07:34 PM    (permalink
Brodeur
Brother Mouzone
Legend

Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

What are you doing

RIP TheManInBlack
Brodeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 07:38 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiomera View Post
Whoa, whoa ... this is the complete opposite of what I was suggesting we do. I would have rather stuck with the system we had last year, even though it had flaws.

Anyone else feel this way? It's less fun by having us play four other teams twice. I want to play a variety of teams, not a small handful.

Also, reducing the number of playoff teams is a bad call. It will make the finish to the regular season much less exciting and far fewer teams will be active at the trade deadline then. Complacency will set in much earlier if teams are fighting for fewer playoff spots.

What is so wrong with have zero divisions and a randomized, balanced schedule?
The whole concept of this war league is to "battle". Every other vanilla fantasy league has 1 division where everyone plays each other. This league is meant to be different. It's got many differences that make it unique and this is one of them. It was like that since it's conception and for some WMD reason we went away from it. This is "bracket style" play from beginning to end. You win your bracket, you move on. Mano a mano. Facing teams in your divisions twice means the winner of the division is truly the best team to emerge. In most vanilla leagues that's just not the case. It was also meant to be reflective of the way the NFL works. It's Division play and so is this.

Relax. Have fun and just go with it.
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 07:38 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

D, I don't know why you think divisions make this more fun. There's no such thing as divisional rivalries here. I don't give a **** about playing Borat or IrishFan any more or less than I do the non-divisional teams and no stupid division format is going to be able to contrive such a rivalry.

The only people in this league that can say they have something of a rivalry are you and me and I don't see a meeting between us on the docket ...
Old 08-27-2013, 07:40 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

It's not a "vanilla league." We have 20 ******* teams and all sorts of bizarre quirks (2-year keeper rule, kick and punt return yardage, etc).

You've just succeeded in diminishing fun, not enhancing it.
Old 08-27-2013, 07:43 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

OK, 1 person doesn't like it.

I'll let democracy prevail if the majority wants to change it.
Old 08-27-2013, 07:45 PM    (permalink
Brodeur
Brother Mouzone
Legend

Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
OK, 1 person doesn't like it.

I'll let democracy prevail if the majority wants to change it.
I count as a person, and I don't like it.

RIP TheManInBlack
Brodeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 07:48 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
D, I don't know why you think divisions make this more fun. There's no such thing as divisional rivalries here. I don't give a **** about playing Borat or IrishFan any more or less than I do the non-divisional teams and no stupid division format is going to be able to contrive such a rivalry.

The only people in this league that can say they have something of a rivalry are you and me and I don't see a meeting between us on the docket ...
Divisions could certainly be fun. I think it spurs extra conversation in the thread. You say you don't give a **** about playing your division rivals, but I bet some people would love to have a second shot at beating someone who beat them before.

I think one of the things that ruined the fun was reorganizing the divisions each year. I'm thinking we keep it like this permanently. It would make some folks think twice about "trading within the division" during the season and during the draft, etc.

Mimicking the NFL would be awesome.
Old 08-27-2013, 07:49 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodeur View Post
I count as a person, and I don't like it.
Well that's just because you're scared of facing me twice a year. I get it.
Old 08-27-2013, 07:49 PM    (permalink
LTgiants
All-NFLDC

LTgiants is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LTgiants is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LTgiants is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LTgiants is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LTgiants is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LTgiants is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LTgiants is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LTgiants is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LTgiants is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LTgiants is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LTgiants is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm with Xio on this one I don't see the point of doing this.
Old 08-27-2013, 07:50 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Quote:
Divisions could certainly be fun. I think it spurs extra conversation in the thread. You say you don't give a **** about playing your division rivals, but I bet some people would love to have a second shot at beating someone who beat them before.

I think one of the things that ruined the fun was reorganizing the divisions each year. I'm thinking we keep it like this permanently. It would make some folks think twice about "trading within the division" during the season and during the draft, etc.

Mimicking the NFL would be awesome.
No. Weekly matchups aren't personal. It's not like we're actually engaged in a real physical competition. We just set a lineup and it's then out of our control as to who wins.

I'm sorry, but this is just asinine. None of your points make any sense.
Old 08-27-2013, 07:52 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTgiants View Post
I'm with Xio on this one I don't see the point of doing this.
It promtes the best teams moving forward instead of randomized wins.
Old 08-27-2013, 07:52 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

You said you added first round byes because you think the better teams don't always advance. Well you've actually ensured that the best teams won't all even make the playoffs. Who the hell knows how even these divisions even are? They're based off last season, which didn't have a level playing field to begin with because divisions were previously arranged based on "good" and "bad" teams.
Old 08-27-2013, 07:53 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
No. Weekly matchups aren't personal. It's not like we're actually engaged in a real physical competition. We just set a lineup and it's then out of our control as to who wins.

I'm sorry, but this is just asinine. None of your points make any sense.
Would you accept it more if we were in the same division? I can do that.
Old 08-27-2013, 07:54 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Quote:
It promtes the best teams moving forward instead of randomized wins.
No, it ensures that many teams have zero chance of making the playoffs from the start. You have both increased the strength of schedule for the worst teams in the league AND given them less playoff berths to strive for.
Old 08-27-2013, 07:56 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
You said you added first round byes because you think the better teams don't always advance. Well you've actually ensured that the best teams won't all even make the playoffs. Who the hell knows how even these divisions even are? They're based off last season, which didn't have a level playing field to begin with because divisions were previously arranged based on "good" and "bad" teams.
The 3 keeper rule balances the power out a lot. The basis for the divisions aren't perfect but last year's standings give us something to go off of at least. You shouldn't feel worried about how balanced the divisions are. I don't see any extremities.

But you can feel confident that the best teams will go forward.
Old 08-27-2013, 07:58 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Quote:
The 3 keeper rule balances the power out a lot. The basis for the divisions aren't perfect but last year's standings give us something to go off of at least. You shouldn't feel worried about how balanced the divisions are. I don't see any extremities.

But you can feel confident that the best teams will go forward.
I felt confident about this before when playoff odds were actually equal for everyone. You've contrived a system that buries half of the league from the start.

How is six playoff teams better than eight? You're going to have a less engaged group of owners than ever before.
Old 08-27-2013, 08:00 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
No, it ensures that many teams have zero chance of making the playoffs from the start. You have both increased the strength of schedule for the worst teams in the league AND given them less playoff berths to strive for.
WAR.

I won't disagree totally. I'm not here to adjust the rules to make sure crappy fantasy owners have an unfair advantage. May the best man win.

The 3 keeper rule balances out A LOT. Plus the weak teams at the end of the year get the first picks of the draft giving them a chance to add a keeper worthy player and a chance to bounce back quickly.
Old 08-27-2013, 08:02 PM    (permalink
scottyboy
Coolio Cat
Legend

scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

wtf is going on here?
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerToCJ View Post
BTW, if it's 3rd and 97... I'm throwing a screen pass to Brian Leonard and he will convert.
scottyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 08:02 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
I felt confident about this before when playoff odds were actually equal for everyone. You've contrived a system that buries half of the league from the start.

How is six playoff teams better than eight? You're going to have a less engaged group of owners than ever before.
I'd like to call it the "Xio effect". I specifically remember you crying about how good you were in the regular season only to have a 1st round playoff exit. We all saw you cry then and now you're still crying. There's no stopping the Xio waaambulance is there?
Old 08-27-2013, 08:03 PM    (permalink
prock
All-Pro

prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.prock is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm on Xio's side.

Bonekrusher.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JordanTaber View Post
Football...it's rocket surgery now, folks.
prock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 08:04 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Quote:
I'd like to call it the "Xio effect". I specifically remember you crying about how good you were in the regular season only to have a 1st round playoff exit. We all saw you cry then and now you're still crying. There's no stopping the Xio waaambulance is there?
I'm sticking up for the lesser teams right now. Don't make this about something else by drawing in unrelated, out-of-context remarks I might have made months or years ago.
Old 08-27-2013, 08:08 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

You've taken the WAR out of the WAR League by removing parity, diminishing everyone's odds at making the playoffs, taking away the opportunity for us to play a variety of teams and pretending that this somehow makes the league more exciting and not less.
Old 08-27-2013, 08:10 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
I'm sticking up for the lesser teams right now. Don't make this about something else by drawing in unrelated, out-of-context remarks I might have made months or years ago.
How about 10 playoff teams then? Top 6 get Byes in the Playoffs?

Or 8 playoff teams and no byes in the playoffs?

Will that settle the soft heart you have for "lesser" teams?