Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > College Football

College Football Discuss College Football

Old 08-14-2007, 09:13 PM    (permalink
TimD
All-Pro

TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Runningbacks at Big Schools

Why do these guys who have a good chance at making the nfl go to the big schools with a ridiculous amount of rbs on the depth chart... yes i know they do it so they can get the national spotlight and be a national championship contender... but if i was in their shoes i'd choose a school like a Rutgers, Arkansas, etc... where i could be the starter as a soph instead of going to USC, Michigan, etc... where i MIGHT start as a senior...

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...ing.backs0820/
Quote:
The cold truth for Bradford is that he'll need to keep making special plays like that to earn even a modest number of touches this season. No other team has more depth at any one position than USC has at tailback, where Bradford will compete with nine other former high school phenoms for the right to be the feature back on the nation's top team.
just saying
Old 08-14-2007, 10:02 PM    (permalink
duckseason
All-Pro

duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangini for pres View Post
Why do these guys who have a good chance at making the nfl go to the big schools with a ridiculous amount of rbs on the depth chart... yes i know they do it so they can get the national spotlight and be a national championship contender... but if i was in their shoes i'd choose a school like a Rutgers, Arkansas, etc... where i could be the starter as a soph instead of going to USC, Michigan, etc... where i MIGHT start as a senior...

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...ing.backs0820/

just saying
Yeah, I agree it's become kinda ridiculous at SC. But hey, just because you don't start doesn't mean you won't get a shot in the NFL. I know of a few Ducks backup QB's who made it to the NFL with minimal playing time at Oregon. The NFL knows who's capable of playing in the league. If they're good enough, they'll get a shot. But I agree. Why not go to UCLA?
Old 08-14-2007, 10:19 PM    (permalink
Michigan
Who wants to sex Mutombo?
Pro Bowler

Michigan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Michigan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Michigan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Michigan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Michigan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Michigan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Michigan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Michigan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Michigan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Michigan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Michigan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

You have to remember that 99% of these prospects are completely obliterating their high school competition and have the mindset that noone can beat them for a starting spot since they've dominated all their lives.
Old 08-14-2007, 10:20 PM    (permalink
scottyboy
Coolio Cat
Legend

scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

wow, Rutgers considered a big school for football. never thought I'd see the day. does a heart good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerToCJ View Post
BTW, if it's 3rd and 97... I'm throwing a screen pass to Brian Leonard and he will convert.
scottyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 10:22 PM    (permalink
Michigan
Pro Bowler

Michigan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Michigan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Michigan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Michigan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Michigan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Michigan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Michigan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Michigan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Michigan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Michigan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Michigan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyboy View Post
wow, Rutgers considered a big school for football. never thought I'd see the day. does a heart good.
reread the first post...

"but if i was in their shoes i'd choose a school like a Rutgers, Arkansas, etc... where i could be the starter as a soph instead of going to USC, Michigan, etc... where i MIGHT start as a senior..."
Old 08-14-2007, 10:26 PM    (permalink
badgerbacker
Pro Bowler

badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.badgerbacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigan View Post
You have to remember that 99% of these prospects are completely obliterating their high school competition and have the mindset that noone can beat them for a starting spot since they've dominated all their lives.
Exactly, the coaches are telling each player that, if he is the best player, he's going to play. After being better than everyone you've played your entire life along with probably being full of yourself, you believe that you can beat out all of the other high school all-americans.
Old 08-15-2007, 03:59 PM    (permalink
VY10
Rookie

VY10 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

1. All of them think they are the best because they have been the best their entire lives.
2. They don't have to be the #1 RB to get drafted. You can split time and still get picked. Look at Lendale/Reggie. Jones/McFadden will both be picked high.
3. Rutgers is in Jersey,... Arkansas is in Arkansas,..... Southern Cal is in California....
4. At some schools, like USC, you only need to start for 1 year. You are playing against top notch competition every day in practice and NFL scouts know that. Starting for 4 years can actually hurt your draft stock because a RB has only so many runs in his joints/knees.
5. These kids are competitive and want to win. Going to USC or Michigan they are going to win. At Rutgers/Arkansas there is not guarantee... both probably will not be that good before long.
VY10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 04:00 PM    (permalink
VY10
Rookie

VY10 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyboy View Post
Hate to ruin your day but he kind of said the opposite.
VY10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 05:07 PM    (permalink
TACKLE
All-NFLDC

TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TACKLE is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The main reason all these RB recruits choose SC is that they'd rather have a chance to play in the National Championship Game then the Texas or Capitol One Bowl. A good college career doesn't necessarily mean a chance to play in the NFL. If you compare it to the NFL, would you rather split carries in New England and have a chance to get a ring or be the feature back for the Lions and pick in the Top 10 every year? I know what team I'd pick.
Old 08-15-2007, 05:17 PM    (permalink
Turtlepower
All-Pro

Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TACKLE View Post
The main reason all these RB recruits choose SC is that they'd rather have a chance to play in the National Championship Game then the Texas or Capitol One Bowl. A good college career doesn't necessarily mean a chance to play in the NFL. If you compare it to the NFL, would you rather split carries in New England and have a chance to get a ring or be the feature back for the Lions and pick in the Top 10 every year? I know what team I'd pick.
Barry Sanders disagrees with you...

^Bad ass sig by fenikz^

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halsey View Post
I don't have to watch it to know it was not interesting.
Giants, ASU Sun Devils, Yankees
Turtlepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 05:19 PM    (permalink
cardsalltheway
Veteran

cardsalltheway is a cocksman.cardsalltheway is a cocksman.cardsalltheway is a cocksman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TACKLE View Post
That's not really the same thing since teams other than USC aren't exactly the Lions and being a feature back means a better chance at a future in the NFL.

Designs by D-Unit

ILEMTPKC - I Love Eli Manning <The Patriots Killer> Club
cardsalltheway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 05:21 PM    (permalink
Turtlepower
All-Pro

Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardsalltheway View Post
That's not really the same thing since teams other than USC aren't exactly the Lions and being a feature back means a better chance at a future in the NFL.
And more money...

^Bad ass sig by fenikz^

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halsey View Post
I don't have to watch it to know it was not interesting.
Giants, ASU Sun Devils, Yankees
Turtlepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 03:54 AM    (permalink
504 to ATL
Veteran

504 to ATL 504 to ATL 504 to ATL 504 to ATL

I would be shocked if a number of them did not transfer within 2 years.
504 to ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 07:35 AM    (permalink
Michigan
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by 504 to ATL View Post
I would be shocked if a number of them did not transfer within 2 years.
that's always what happens. when adrian peterson signed with oklahoma, tashard choice and courtney tennial transferred out. last year, choice and tennial led their teams (GTech and Tulsa) in rushing and combined for a total of 28 TD's.
Old 08-16-2007, 08:52 AM    (permalink
Finsfan79
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

Finsfan79 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

USC and FSU pay better then the small schools do :P

Seriously though there is alot of reasons to go to a ND, Michigan, Penn State, Da U, FSU, UF, UG, etc etc etc

Big time schools and all get more exposure for their players. They believe they can beat out folks and they have history of successful running backs.

When I think USC football I think of OJ
When I think UM football I think of Portis or McGhee, Edge, etc etc etc

You can go down the list school by school of course and find top flight talents at lot of these programs with the traditions. Remember colleges are about more then football as well. From the atmosphere to the enviroment where they are at. (If you had the chance to look at hotties on south beach or the crappy NJ shore, which would you pick really?). No Offense to New Jersey but I think the weather and women here are bit, more ... yep :) Same could be said for UCLA or USC.

You can find a lot of reasons for them to go there. Also the locations where the schools are play a big part if the kid grew up a michigan fan you really think he will go to Ohio State or Penn State? That would be the same as a Miami Fan going to UF or FSU. Or visa versa
Finsfan79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 11:23 AM    (permalink
marks01234
Veteran

marks01234 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marks01234 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marks01234 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marks01234 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marks01234 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marks01234 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marks01234 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marks01234 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marks01234 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marks01234 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.marks01234 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

High school kids just generally make stupid decisions.

How many running backs or quarterbacks go to smaller schools just so they can play their position, instead going to a headline school as a defensive back or something else? Then after 4 years and a decent college career they find out that they are nowhere close to being an NFL prospect at their position.
marks01234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 11:27 AM    (permalink
neko4
All-NFLDC

neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michigan View Post
exactly, and one of them goes to my school

Sig thanks to Bonekrusher
neko4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 11:07 PM    (permalink
TimD
All-Pro

TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

a few days after i make this thread moody says hes transferring out of USC haha
Old 08-18-2007, 11:22 PM    (permalink
BrownsTown
All-Pro

BrownsTown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BrownsTown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BrownsTown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BrownsTown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BrownsTown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BrownsTown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BrownsTown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BrownsTown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BrownsTown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BrownsTown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BrownsTown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It's just a mess. I mean, why the heck would McKnight go there? He won't get much of a chance, and it's not like you can't make it as a small school RB. Ladanian Tomlinson anyone?
BrownsTown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 12:06 AM    (permalink
Sniper
Legend

Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownsTown View Post
It's just a mess. I mean, why the heck would McKnight go there? He won't get much of a chance, and it's not like you can't make it as a small school RB. Ladanian Tomlinson anyone?
It's not just about PT. For Christ's sake I'd love to go to USC. Great weather, amazing women, a chance to win the NC every year, terrific education. It's not always about being a starter. McKnight went there because he knows he's so good he'll get the ball on PR, KR, Slot Receiver, Tailback,.
Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 12:36 AM    (permalink
benchod
Rookie

benchod is a cocksman.benchod is a cocksman.benchod is a cocksman.benchod is a cocksman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownsTown View Post
You try to say no to a school that says they'll use you like they used Reggie Bush, especially after having seen Reggie perform in your home state for the past year. After all the comparisons were made between McKnight and Bush, why wouldn't you want to go play for the school that created the legend that is Reggie.

And TCU isn't necessarily a small school, but I see your point in that regard.

I still don't get why Green stayed committed to SC after Tyler and McKnight committed.
benchod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 12:40 AM    (permalink
BrownsTown
All-Pro

BrownsTown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BrownsTown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BrownsTown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BrownsTown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BrownsTown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BrownsTown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BrownsTown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BrownsTown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BrownsTown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BrownsTown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BrownsTown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by benchod View Post
You try to say no to a school that says they'll use you like they used Reggie Bush, especially after having seen Reggie perform in your home state for the past year. After all the comparisons were made between McKnight and Bush, why wouldn't you want to go play for the school that created the legend that is Reggie.

I still don't get why Green stayed committed to SC after Tyler and McKnight committed.
Yea, McKnight might not be the best example, but all the others at USC. Moody may just be the first in a big wave of transfers.
BrownsTown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 01:44 AM    (permalink
Sniper
Legend

Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by benchod View Post

Exactly. Hey Joe, we used Reggie in all these different ways and all it got him was 1 1/2 national titles, 1 Heisman, a fifth place finish in the Heisman race as a sophomore, a 6 year 50 million dollar deal as the #2 pick in the NFL Draft and some serious name recognition which in turn led to a truckload of endorsement deals. We'll use you the same way. Wanna come?

Tell me if you're not Joe McKnight you don't ask to sign right away.
Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote