Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > College Football

College Football Discuss College Football

Old 08-15-2007, 05:28 PM    (permalink
DaBears9654
Rookie

DaBears9654 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.
Default I don't like the idea of indies.

I think that every team -- Notre Dame football included -- should be a member of a conference. In fact, being in West Point, NY & Annapolis, MD, respectively, I have thought for a few years that Army and Navy would be a perfect fit in the Big East. When a conference votes to boot a school out, fine, but, under my proposal, you would have 2 years to find a conference; that should be plenty of time. This would make the oft-discussed (especially on here) idea of a playoff more feasible.

NFC North right ends are shaking in their cleats.

Or @ least they had better be.
DaBears9654 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 12:36 AM    (permalink
NDfootball
Rookie

NDfootball hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Well I'll take the bait and make a response.

It's every school's choice to decide to be affiliated with a conference or not to be. For most schools, it is in their best interest to be affiliated because of money and scheduling/bowl purposes.

Army and Navy are special cases. I can't see either team ever becoming a contender, so being independent allows them to schedule games with traditional rivals, and gives them a chance to have a winning record to make it into a bowl game. I believe they have ties to the poinsettia bowl or something.

ND might not be in a conference, but they have enough rivalry games to lock down a consistent schedule every season. I would say most people look at Notre Dame as a Catholic school rather than a school from Indiana. It's just tradition that they play a national schedule. Honestly would you rather see ND/USC or ND/Minnesota every year?

Making these three teams join a conference would be bad for college football. Army and Navy would get destroyed in the Big East, and they shouldn't ever join the MAC for conformity's sake. Notre Dame, like it or not is really a national team because of their religious affiliation and tradition.
NDfootball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 12:42 AM    (permalink
neko4
All-NFLDC

neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Is western kentucky going to the sun belt?
neko4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 01:46 AM    (permalink
Sniper
Legend

Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDfootball View Post

ND might not be in a conference, but they have enough rivalry games to lock down a consistent schedule every season. I would say most people look at Notre Dame as a Catholic school rather than a school from Indiana. It's just tradition that they play a national schedule. Honestly would you rather see ND/USC or ND/Minnesota every year?
You could easily have Minnesota and USC on the schedule every year. A lot of teams have an OOC rival that they play on a yearly basis, don't use a weak excuse like that. ND plays SC and Michigan and ND is neither in the Pac-10 or Big Ten.
Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 01:45 AM    (permalink
JayP
Rookie

JayP wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.JayP wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.JayP wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.JayP wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.JayP wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.JayP wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.JayP wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.JayP wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.JayP wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.JayP wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.JayP wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNIPER26 View Post
You could easily have Minnesota and USC on the schedule every year. A lot of teams have an OOC rival that they play on a yearly basis, don't use a weak excuse like that. ND plays SC and Michigan and ND is neither in the Pac-10 or Big Ten.
Maybe everyone should learn the history of ND and conferences before they go off. ND tried to join the Big 10 many times, but was rebuffed. So they managed to get a schedule that suits their annual needs without the need for a conference, along with great recruiting benefits. Now people want them in a conference. Tough.

If ND joins the Big 10, 3 of their 4 OOC games become USC, Stanford, and Navy. Not much scheduling room. What fun.

Join the Big East or any other major conference? Then a choice has to be made to eliminate USC, Michigan, Michigan State, Purdue, Stanford, or Navy from the schedule. I'm not really for the whole possibility of rotating them.

The Pac-10 is geographically insane, so I'm not gonna discuss it.

Fact is, joining a conference no longer makes sense for ND.
JayP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 05:51 AM    (permalink
iowatreat54
Icon

iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayP View Post
Maybe everyone should learn the history of ND and conferences before they go off. ND tried to join the Big 10 many times, but was rebuffed. So they managed to get a schedule that suits their annual needs without the need for a conference, along with great recruiting benefits. Now people want them in a conference. Tough.

If ND joins the Big 10, 3 of their 4 OOC games become USC, Stanford, and Navy. Not much scheduling room. What fun.

Join the Big East or any other major conference? Then a choice has to be made to eliminate USC, Michigan, Michigan State, Purdue, Stanford, or Navy from the schedule. I'm not really for the whole possibility of rotating them.

yes that is why for years the big 10 has tried to get them in conference and they say no...and by years I'm talking atleast 20...and just because ND doesn't want to give up being able to schedule whoever they want and facing the fact that they might not be able to play Navy, Army, Coast Guard, etc. every year doesn't mean that "it no longer makes sense for ND"...I agree that being an Independent at this point is great for ND, but for everyother Independent being in a conference would be more beneficial...ND fans just need to quit with the idea that "Oh, we have tried to be a part of conferences but no one wanted us so now we've done good as an independent and everyone wants us but too bad cuz we can't change because it will be too much work to not be able to do whatever the hell we want" motto...it's really old

"You don't need thumbs. My best friend is my brother's dog, he doesn't have any thumbs, he's doin fine."
-Pat Angerer on breaking his thumb.

DJK = Mr. Fun-Haver
Kirk Ferentz = Coach Killjoy
iowatreat54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 10:08 AM    (permalink
CC
Veteran

CC hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.CC hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:

Yea, then how would ND pack in powerhouses Army, Air Force, UNC, and Duke to round out their schedule?
Old 08-17-2007, 05:28 PM    (permalink
JayP
Rookie

JayP wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.JayP wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.JayP wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.JayP wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.JayP wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.JayP wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.JayP wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.JayP wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.JayP wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.JayP wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.JayP wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC View Post
Yea, then how would ND pack in powerhouses Army, Air Force, UNC, and Duke to round out their schedule?
If ND was in the Big 10, then they'd have Northwestern, IU, & Illinois to beat on, along with whatever other Big 10 team was down and out that year....just like OSU and Michigan do.

Big East? Syracuse, UConn, & Pitt.

ACC? Duke, UNC, & NC State.

Big 12? Iowa St., Baylor,& Colorado.

SEC? Vandy, Ole Miss, & Mississippi State.

Face facts...the same "pansies" from BCS conferences are being whipped by someone else annually. If they can do it, why can't ND?

BTW, didn't AF give Tennessee the scare of a lifetime at Tennessee last year? Doesn't sound like a pushover team to me.
Old 08-17-2007, 05:40 PM    (permalink
Sniper
Legend

Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

BTW, didn't AF give Tennessee the scare of a lifetime at Tennessee last year? Doesn't sound like a pushover team to me.
Keep trying to convince yourself of that. ND beat them by 22 and ND sucked last year. Yeah, they're not a pushover ;)
Old 08-17-2007, 05:51 PM    (permalink
neko4
All-NFLDC

neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Keep trying to convince yourself of that. ND beat them by 22 and ND sucked last year. Yeah, they're not a pushover ;)
Well lets look at Michigans 2006 Sched...
Vanderbilt
Cen Michigan

notre dame
wisconsin
minnesota
mich st
penn st
iowa
northwestern
Ball St
indiana

tOSU

not too much tougher than ND's

Sig thanks to Bonekrusher
Old 08-17-2007, 06:00 PM    (permalink
VY10
Rookie

VY10 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

ND should be punished for not being in a conference. They aren't just for the money. They could still play OOC USC and play their Big 10 schedule.

Anyways I guess it is irrelevant. Notre Dame hasn't won a bowl game since like 1993. Jesus that was a long time ago for a prestigious program.
VY10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 06:04 PM    (permalink
neko4
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by VY10 View Post
ND should be punished for not being in a conference. They aren't just for the money. They could still play OOC USC and play their Big 10 schedule.

Anyways I guess it is irrelevant. Notre Dame hasn't won a bowl game since like 1993. Jesus that was a long time ago for a prestigious program.
somethin tells me they'll be in a small bowl this year and win

Old 08-17-2007, 06:59 PM    (permalink
Mr. Stiller
All-Pro

Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Mr. Stiller is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neko4 View Post
Vanderbilt
Cen Michigan

notre dame
wisconsin
minnesota
mich st
penn st
iowa
northwestern
Ball St
indiana

tOSU

I might go as far to say that ND was equally tough..

Michigan, GT, PSU, MSU, Purdue, Stanford, UCLA, USC, LSU..

UNC, AF, Army, Navy, seemed like their only pushovers.

Yeah, I play WoW too.[/center]
Mr. Stiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 07:19 PM    (permalink
ironman4579
All-Pro

ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ironman4579 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Honestly, I feel that until ND joins a conference, there will never be a playoff in college football. ND will continue to be against a playoff as long as they're an indie, because once a playoff is instituted, be a 4 team or 8 team or whatever, ND will no longer be able to slide into BCS games as long as they're ranked in the top 100 in the nation(sarcasm, for those of you who take everything literally and you ND jobbers. I realize they only have to be in the top 70, come on)

That leads into the money issue. The would first lose the money that they reap from being mediocre but playing in BCS games. They would also most likely lose their exclusive TV contract that the reap the benifits of alone. Even if the contract wasn't outright gone, they'd have to share at least a portion of that with the conference. As it stands now, they keep basically everything to the themselves. No, I think it will be a long time before we see ND in a conference, and almost as long until we see a playoff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakey View Post
WWWWWWWWWTTTTTTTTTTTTFFFFFFFFFFF!!!

i am literally gonna kick a baby to death!
ironman4579 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2007, 09:29 PM    (permalink
Sniper
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by neko4 View Post
Vanderbilt
Cen Michigan

notre dame
wisconsin
minnesota
mich st
penn st
iowa
northwestern
Ball St
indiana

tOSU

I didn't compare the difficulty did I? Jay was trying to claim Air Force isn't a pushover. I've always said those games weren't any good. At least I don't try to pass off Air Force as a good team
Old 08-18-2007, 04:59 PM    (permalink
neko4
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Stiller View Post
I might go as far to say that ND was equally tough..

Michigan, GT, PSU, MSU, Purdue, Stanford, UCLA, USC, LSU..

UNC, AF, Army, Navy, seemed like their only pushovers.
Navy isnt a pushover, aside from that UNC AF and Army are, but Nvy went 8-5 and almost beat BC in a bowl as i remeber
Stanford is more of a pushover than UNC,AF,or Army tho

Old 08-18-2007, 09:46 PM    (permalink
JayP
Rookie

Quote:
Right. I'd say AF is as good as Vandy....probably better, considering that AF managed to give Tennessee a game in knoxville and Vandy got drilled by the Vols at home.

And sure ND sucked. Whatever makes you sleep better at night.
Old 08-18-2007, 09:58 PM    (permalink
Sniper
Legend

Quote:
Right. I'd say AF is as good as Vandy....probably better, considering that AF managed to give Tennessee a game in knoxville and Vandy got drilled by the Vols at home.

47-21 tells me they sucked. This whole "Well Team A Barely Beat Team B while Team A destroyed Team C" thing doesn't fly, and you know damn well. ND played 3 good/great teams last year and got BOMBED by all of them.
Old 08-18-2007, 09:58 PM    (permalink
iowatreat54
Icon

iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

ND did suck, they just got into a (undeserving) bowl and got trounced like usual...and before you say it, yes Iowa sucked more, so come up with a better comeback

"You don't need thumbs. My best friend is my brother's dog, he doesn't have any thumbs, he's doin fine."
-Pat Angerer on breaking his thumb.

DJK = Mr. Fun-Haver
Kirk Ferentz = Coach Killjoy
iowatreat54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 11:51 AM    (permalink
NDfootball
Rookie

NDfootball hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I don't understand how ND not being in a conference correlates to there being no playoff anytime soon.

If there was a 8 team playoff, the 6 BCS conference champions and 2 wild cards would probably get bids. Now imagine Miami, Texas, Michigan, UCLA, and Tennessee, all with 10+ wins but finishing 2nd in their conference, throw in an undefeated non-BCS team, and you have 6 worthy teams for two spots. There would be a ton of controversy, and it would be worse than it is now because more would be on the line.

If there's a 16 team playoff, which logistically I don't think could work, you probably have to think about adding the non-BCS conferences into the fold. Even if you don't, the same problems would occur with top non-BCS teams and a 3rd or 4th place BCS team.

Notre Dame being independent has almost nothing to do with there not being a D1-A playoff. I would say most of the big schools (including ND) would not want to give up either one more game on the schedule or a conference championship game to squeeze in a playoff. Realistically only about 15 or so teams have a legit shot every year, so the rest of the division would get screwed out of a ton of revenue
NDfootball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 12:01 AM    (permalink
Axl Rose
Rookie

Axl Rose is a cocksman.Axl Rose is a cocksman.Axl Rose is a cocksman.Axl Rose is a cocksman.Axl Rose is a cocksman.

Quote:
47-21 tells me they sucked. This whole "Well Team A Barely Beat Team B while Team A destroyed Team C" thing doesn't fly, and you know damn well. ND played 3 good/great teams last year and got BOMBED by all of them.
Yeah Michigan's got an impressive 1 game winning steak against ND, then again I wouldn't bet against it being snapped this year. Michigan and coach droopy dog(AKA Carr) have a knack for sucking every game they are expected to win.
Old 08-21-2007, 12:08 AM    (permalink
Sniper
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axl Rose View Post
Yeah Michigan's got an impressive 1 game winning steak against ND, then again I wouldn't bet against it being snapped this year. Michigan and coach droopy dog(AKA Carr) have a knack for sucking every game they are expected to win.
Hey look I think Manningham just scored again. Are you really in a position to be making fun of a coach's physical attributes when Charlie Weis is your team's coach? Come on. Dude you can't possibly talk **** when you lose by 26 at home and you have a Heisman contender at QB. You just can't. I'm pretty sure Michigan went 10-1 in games they were favored in last year, so there goes another argument. So you are expecting Michigan to beat ND again this year judging by your sentence. So how many points will it be by this year?
Old 08-21-2007, 12:19 AM    (permalink
Axl Rose
Rookie

Axl Rose is a cocksman.Axl Rose is a cocksman.Axl Rose is a cocksman.Axl Rose is a cocksman.Axl Rose is a cocksman.

Quote:
Hey look I think Manningham just scored again. Are you really in a position to be making fun of a coach's physical attributes when Charlie Weis is your team's coach? Come on. Dude you can't possibly talk **** when you lose by 26 at home and you have a Heisman contender at QB. You just can't. I'm pretty sure Michigan went 10-1 in games they were favored in last year, so there goes another argument. So you are expecting Michigan to beat ND again this year judging by your sentence. So how many points will it be by this year?
Yep, Michigan beat ND a year ago, and ND beat Michigan 2 years ago? It really has no baring on the future, and IMO ND's future looks more bright while Michigan's is looking dimmer. But here it is 2007, all of Michigan's best players are seniors and most their rivals are having a rebuilding year, this is Michigan's opportunity to strike. But IMO they'll falter some where and be a disappointment again. I never said I think Michigan will beat ND, I said they are favored.

BTW I'd rather be fat then have a face that looks like a scrotum ala coach Carr.
Old 08-21-2007, 12:23 AM    (permalink
Sniper
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axl Rose View Post
Yep, Michigan beat ND a year ago, and ND beat Michigan 2 years ago? It really has no baring on the future, and IMO ND's future looks more bright while Michigan's is looking dimmer. But here it is 2007, all of Michigan's best players are seniors and most their rivals are having a rebuilding year, this is Michigan's opportunity to strike. But IMO they'll falter some where and be a disappointment again. I never said I think Michigan will beat ND, I said they are favored.

BTW I'd rather be fat then have a face that looks like a scrotum ala coach Carr.
More bright? Brighter would be the word there Webster. Shocking that you, the biggest ND homer on this board, would predict Michigan to falter. Absolutely stunning. I wasn't aware Michigan's future was looking dimmer. Perhaps you can tell me where you found this information.

You'd rather be 918 pounds, probably end up with diabetes, have yourself be the mockery of college football fans all over the country, **** up on bypass surgery and waddle like a seal than have Carr's face ? I call ********.
Old 08-21-2007, 12:37 AM    (permalink
Axl Rose
Rookie

Quote:
More bright? Brighter would be the word there Webster. Shocking that you, the biggest ND homer on this board, would predict Michigan to falter. Absolutely stunning. I wasn't aware Michigan's future was looking dimmer. Perhaps you can tell me where you found this information.

You'd rather be 918 pounds, probably end up with diabetes, have yourself be the mockery of college football fans all over the country, **** up on bypass surgery and waddle like a seal than have Carr's face ? I call ********.
Easily, just look at all the recruiting battles that Michigan has been losing lately. Michigan is getting hammered, and its gonna bite them sooner or later. Also I Carr is a mediocre coach IMO.

You can always lose weight, but a mug like that is like a curse. Who wants to have a face that looks like a ball sac.