Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > College Football

College Football Discuss College Football

Old 08-18-2007, 04:06 PM    (permalink
Gribble
Pro Bowler

Gribble is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gribble is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gribble is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gribble is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gribble is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gribble is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gribble is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gribble is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gribble is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gribble is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Gribble is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Miami snubbed in rankings?

They aren't in the Top 25... But Florida State is at #19.
Old 08-18-2007, 04:10 PM    (permalink
RonnieRun23
Rookie

RonnieRun23 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I'm a Miami fan, but i don't really like we're snubbed. We have proven anything, we have a new coach, and we're coming off a 7-6 season. I do think that Florida State is overrated. Bobby has fallen off, and they have a new offensive coordinator as well, even though if he's not completely stupid he'd be an upgrade over Jeff. If Florida St. is ranked, then Miami should have been ranked alongside them, although in my opinion neither should be ranked.
RonnieRun23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 02:02 PM    (permalink
VY10
Rookie

VY10 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Preseason rankings are just someone's opinion on how things will be. They really don't mean too much.
VY10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 02:09 PM    (permalink
HoopsDemon12
Pro Bowler

HoopsDemon12 could make a wolverine purr.HoopsDemon12 could make a wolverine purr.HoopsDemon12 could make a wolverine purr.HoopsDemon12 could make a wolverine purr.HoopsDemon12 could make a wolverine purr.HoopsDemon12 could make a wolverine purr.HoopsDemon12 could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gribble View Post
They aren't in the Top 25... But Florida State is at #19.
with the talent they have at miami... but most of the selfconfident almost arrogant demenors that are instilled in them there... i can really say these guys are gonna come out with they're asses on fire because they are gonna want to prove something

Sig By Diehardvikingfan
HoopsDemon12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 02:10 PM    (permalink
America
Pro Bowler

America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.America is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It's preseason. They will ascend the rankings during the course of the year. But right now, there's a new coach and they've got a crap QB situation. They have a below average oline, although some of the lineman are underachievers and have potential(Reggie Youngblood). There is plenty of reason to doubt that the offense will improve enough for this team to be better than the 7-6 they were a year ago. Graig Cooper might be able to provide enough of a spark to get the O going.
America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 07:54 PM    (permalink
fenikz
Pillow Hat Pal
Legend

fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.fenikz is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I have never cared much for the Pre-season rankings, since Florida is still champs they should be #1 and so on a so forth, but I do think them Miami boys will take this into consideration, I expect nothing less than a top 10 finish

fenikz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 08:12 PM    (permalink
jbeans187
Veteran

jbeans187 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.jbeans187 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Pre Season rankings mean nothing, Duke gets a first place vote every year. Im expecting the U to finish in the 10-20 range this year

Leroy Smith - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koGD6XnAsNs
jbeans187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 10:00 PM    (permalink
GB12
Team Leader
Icon

GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbeans187 View Post
Pre Season rankings mean nothing, Duke gets a first place vote every year. Im expecting the U to finish in the 10-20 range this year
Actually it does. I found this article from ESPN that explains it pretty well

Quote:
More than ever before, a school's position in the preseason rankings has a bearing on its chances of playing for the national championship at the end of the season. So even the preseason polls, which come out weeks before a game is even played, figure heavily in determining which teams will be ranked Nos. 1 and 2 in early December.

Evidence A: Since 1991, college football's national championship has come from outside the top 10 of the preseason Associated Press top 25 poll only four times -- Michigan was 14th in 1997, Oklahoma was 19th in 2000, Ohio State was 13th in 2002 and LSU was 14th in 2003.

Evidence B: During the last 20 seasons, 13 teams have lost a game and still managed to finish the regular season ranked in the top two in the BCS standings or either poll of record. But only one of those teams -- LSU in 2003 -- was ranked lower than eighth in the preseason poll.

So if your favorite team is beginning the 2007 season outside the top 10 in the AP or ESPN/USA Today coaches' polls, you'd better hope for an undefeated season. Otherwise, your team has a very small chance of winning the national championship.
Old 08-20-2007, 12:13 AM    (permalink
jbeans187
Veteran

jbeans187 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.jbeans187 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB12 View Post
Actually it does. I found this article from ESPN that explains it pretty well
Its an interesting thought, but the pre season rankings usually have the top 10-15 right then there is a drop off in the talent of the programs.

Leroy Smith - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koGD6XnAsNs
jbeans187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 12:26 AM    (permalink
GB12
Team Leader
Icon

GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbeans187 View Post
Its an interesting thought, but the pre season rankings usually have the top 10-15 right then there is a drop off in the talent of the programs.
Just look back to last year. Wisconsin and Boise State were unranked to start the year and ended up at in the top ten (UW-7AP, 5USA) (BS-5AP, 6USA). Being unranked sets a limit as to how far up the rankings you can go. Had Boise State starter the year at 10 or even 15 they might be in the National Championship. I don't think they should have been, my point is though that preseason polls are rediculous. Wait until conference games start to release the first poll. Then you at least have something to judge them on.
Old 08-20-2007, 01:33 AM    (permalink
yourfavestoner
#1 Vickscuser
All-NFLDC

yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.yourfavestoner is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Just look back to last year. Wisconsin and Boise State were unranked to start the year and ended up at in the top ten (UW-7AP, 5USA) (BS-5AP, 6USA). Being unranked sets a limit as to how far up the rankings you can go. Had Boise State starter the year at 10 or even 15 they might be in the National Championship. I don't think they should have been, my point is though that preseason polls are rediculous. Wait until conference games start to release the first poll. Then you at least have something to judge them on.
Didn't Boise State finish somewhere between 3 and 5 in the final standings? Sounds like an accurate reflection of what they were: somewhere between the third and fifth best team in the country last year.

You assert that Boise State might have played for the National Championship last year if they had started off ranked tenth. But what had they done to deserve a preseason top ten or fifteen ranking? Beat up on a terrible conference?
yourfavestoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 01:19 PM    (permalink
VY10
Rookie

VY10 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Boise State isn't in a BCS conference. If Miami went undefeated this year, which won't happen, they would probably end up in the NC game.
VY10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007, 07:08 PM    (permalink
mqtirishfan
All-Pro

mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.mqtirishfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
No, no, no. Had Wisconsin gone undefeated, they'd be in the NC game without question. They finished 5th with a loss. They'd have been number one if they went undefeated.
mqtirishfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007, 11:58 PM    (permalink
etk
All-NFLDC

etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

A first-year HC and tough schedule might contribute to Miami's "snubbing" in the polls. I agree that we should be ranked higher than FSU with many key starters returning, but Preseason rankings are not the most valuable piece of prediction material. Even on NCAA08 we're rated A- on both sides, which is more than many of the top 25 teams are rated.

sig by BoneKrusher
etk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 10:53 AM    (permalink
doingthisinsteadofwork
All-Pro

doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.

NCAA08 holds alot of sway over the college rankings.
Old 08-22-2007, 11:00 AM    (permalink
OhioState
Veteran

OhioState hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.OhioState hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mqtirishfan View Post
No, no, no. Had Wisconsin gone undefeated, they'd be in the NC game without question. They finished 5th with a loss. They'd have been number one if they went undefeated.
they'd have been number two
Old 08-22-2007, 01:08 PM    (permalink
RyanLeaf#1
All-Pro

RyanLeaf#1 is a cocksman.RyanLeaf#1 is a cocksman.RyanLeaf#1 is a cocksman.RyanLeaf#1 is a cocksman.RyanLeaf#1 is a cocksman.

I think James is going to have a monster year. I can understand why their not in the top 25 at this time though.

Phillies 2007 NL East Champions & Back to Back MVP Award Winners.
Indianapolis Colts 13-3
Philadelphia Flyers 19-14-4 = 42 points
Philadelphia 76ers 14-18
Coach Bob Huggins 10-2
RyanLeaf#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 05:40 PM    (permalink
etk
All-NFLDC

etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanLeaf#1 View Post
I think James is going to have a monster year. I can understand why their not in the top 25 at this time though.
You're only reinforcing our case. Our QB play can only improve with both contenders returning. James & Shields are back with full years under their belts. Leggett & Jenkins are Seniors. We're not devastated by the losses of Ryan Moore & Greg Olsen. Defensively, we have Calais Campbell and Kenny Phillips, two of the best period. Our linebackers are all experienced and there's plenty of competition there. Teraz McCray and Eric Moncur are due for breakout years. Our defensive backs all have extensive experience. Talent and experience go a long way to building a top 25 team, but the pollers are ignorant to the fact that we return the most starters since 1996. They are basing this upcoming season on last year's, where we had an ACC high 35 true freshman starts with 10 contributors. I don't want to sound like a homer or anything, but we are stacked with talent and experience and there's no excuse if we don't succeed.

Why are you able to understand why we aren't in the top 25? This is the main problem I have with the preseason poll. Your future records are predicted mainly by past successes. Teams should be evaluated by their talent and returning starters/contributors, not by their recent program success. Florida is a prime example of this with 9 first-place votes despite losing a large nucleus of key players.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 08-22-2007, 06:54 PM    (permalink
doingthisinsteadofwork
All-Pro

doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.

yah those returning Miami starters did alot for their success in the past.what were they 7-6 last year.
Old 08-22-2007, 11:25 PM    (permalink
etk
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by doingthisinsteadofwork View Post
yah those returning Miami starters did alot for their success in the past.what were they 7-6 last year.
Huh? The point is that we had hardly any returning starters last year, and we were ravaged by the draft as always. We were a team dominating by underclassmen and were forced to play many true freshmen. This year all of those players will be more experienced and better. I'm not sure you understand the concept of college football. You recruit players and they learn your system and improve year-to-year. Having talented returning starters is one of the keys to success on the field and team leadership. Teams that return a high quantity and quality of starters always improve on their past season. You are from the Bay Area, right? Why do you think USC is the Preseason favorite? They can really only build on last year with their guys coming back. It's quite simple.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 08-22-2007, 11:35 PM    (permalink
doingthisinsteadofwork
All-Pro

The returning starters for this year didnt step up last year.But the preseason top 25 is not just based on talent and the ratings of a video game its based on past performance as well.Im not saying Miami cant be a good team this year or end up in the top 25 or top 15 Im just saying they dont deserve a top 25 on mere talent alone they have to win.what have they been 25-12 the last three seasons?
Old 08-23-2007, 02:37 PM    (permalink
J52
Rookie

J52 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.J52 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.J52 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.J52 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.J52 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.J52 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.J52 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.J52 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.J52 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.J52 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.J52 wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.

Boise State didn't make it to the National Championship because of strength of schedule and because they arn't as talented as the other teams.

The reason teams outside of the top 10 don't win national championships is because the top 10 teams are 99% of the time the top 10 teams in the nation. I've never thought that an unranked team was good enough to win the national championship.

If the Hurricanes go 12-0 and they are the only undefeated team then they will be in the National Championship game because they play VT, FSU, GT, TAM, Oklahoma. Boise State plays Idaho, Nevada and Wyoming, if they start the season ranked 10 and go undefeated then they still won't go to the NC game.
J52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2007, 11:43 PM    (permalink
etk
All-NFLDC

You are right, there are very little circumstances where Miami would be snubbed from the NC. It would be a gradual ascent, however, as all the other top teams would have to fall.

sig by BoneKrusher