Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > College Football

College Football Discuss College Football

Old 09-02-2007, 10:04 PM    (permalink
Sniper
Legend

Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Bowl Games

I have a question that intrigues me. Why do people get so hung up on bowl games? (Yes, Michigan is 0-4 in their last 4 bowl games, I'm aware. Just go with it) Everyone makes a big deal of this bowl, that bowl. In reality, other than the NC game, isn't it just another OOC game? Maybe I'm wrong, but the whole "Yay we won our bowl game" and buy "GMAC INTERNATIONAL BOWL CHAMPS" t-shirts is just kind of weird. Maybe it's just me.
Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 10:08 PM    (permalink
smittyjs
All-Pro

smittyjs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.smittyjs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.smittyjs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.smittyjs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.smittyjs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.smittyjs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.smittyjs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.smittyjs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.smittyjs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.smittyjs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.smittyjs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

With vandy last bowl game being in 1982, it would be huge if we made one this year, most people fell like it's "there Teams" championship game, so i can see why it is a big deal to people.

Jay Cutler>Matt Leinart>>>>danman253
XBL GT smitty js Go Vandy!!!!!!
Chris Johnson son!!!!!!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JoUr82vUx60
http://www.bangcartoon.com/2007/pacman.htm
smittyjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 10:10 PM    (permalink
neko4
All-NFLDC

neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

They get money for winning right?

Sig thanks to Bonekrusher
neko4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 10:16 PM    (permalink
TimD
All-Pro

TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neko4 View Post
They get money for winning right?
yessir thats why its such a big deal to the schools... plus it gives schools an opportunity to win their last "important" game
Old 09-02-2007, 10:30 PM    (permalink
Canadian_kid16
All-Pro

Canadian_kid16 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Canadian_kid16 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Canadian_kid16 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Canadian_kid16 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Canadian_kid16 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Canadian_kid16 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Canadian_kid16 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Canadian_kid16 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Canadian_kid16 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Canadian_kid16 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Canadian_kid16 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

don't go dissing the International Bowl now ya hear :p

and smitty, we are going to a bowl this year (NCAA 08 has made me a fan of Vanderbilt), so it will be mucho importante

Proud fan of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers
Somewhat proud fan of the Toronto Blue Jays
Yes, a fan of the Toronto Maple Leafs as well
A fan of the USF Bulls
Canadian_kid16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 10:52 PM    (permalink
etk
All-NFLDC

etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

As a fan it's nice to see a team finish the season well. Losing 40-3 to LSU and their backup QB sucked big time, but it doesn't really matter much more than a big rivalry game.

sig by BoneKrusher
etk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 10:53 PM    (permalink
Sniper
Legend

Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sniper is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by etk View Post
As a fan it's nice to see a team finish the season well. Losing 40-3 to LSU and their backup QB sucked big time, but it doesn't really matter much more than a big rivalry game.
Or a conference game to a kinda rival, which is why I didn't understand a PSU fan's argument that winning two bowl games was better than not beating Michigan in 10 years.
Old 09-02-2007, 10:55 PM    (permalink
BerninWI
Rookie

BerninWI is a cocksman.BerninWI is a cocksman.BerninWI is a cocksman.BerninWI is a cocksman.BerninWI is a cocksman.

Unless the bowl is very low level, it definitely has the most relevance of any game during season.

1. For the seniors, it will be the last game of their career, and for some juniors as well. At the very least, it's the end of a player's season. Therefore, just about every player on the field is going to play with intensity.

2. It's on a neutral field, so there's no built in advantages.

3. If you are selected to a bowl, generally you're going to meet a pretty good team.

4. It's a relative indicator of the strength of conferences. As a result it's an opportunity to learn who is better than their record and who is worse, as a result of their conference.

5. Both teams have an ample amount of time to prepare.

6. I think most importantly, the game shows a team's ability to improve throughout the season with game reps. Especially in college football, early season tilts aren't fully indicative of a team's ability because you're dealing with a lot of turnover, and inexperienced 18 and 19 year olds.
BerninWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 10:58 PM    (permalink
GB12
Team Leader
Icon

GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If the bowls don't matter, why do any of the games?
Old 09-02-2007, 11:16 PM    (permalink
Sniper
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB12 View Post
If the bowls don't matter, why do any of the games?
For conference purposes. Basically this is me beating around the bush in favor of a playoff. I don't give a **** who wins between the #22 team and #25 team in the Bumble **** Bowl. I want to see a bad ass 16 team tournament.
Old 09-02-2007, 11:25 PM    (permalink
elway777
All-Pro

elway777 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.elway777 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Unless it's the Grand Daddy of them all, the Rose Bowl.
elway777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 11:27 PM    (permalink
saintsfan912
Pro Bowler

saintsfan912 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.saintsfan912 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.saintsfan912 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.saintsfan912 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.saintsfan912 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.saintsfan912 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.saintsfan912 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.saintsfan912 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.saintsfan912 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.saintsfan912 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.saintsfan912 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by etk View Post
Our backup QB sucked? He's a hell of alot better than anyone UM had or has at the moment. Sorry dude, just cause UM sucks balls doesn't mean LSUs QB sucked.

Big time Thank You to BoneKrusher!

Who Dat Nation!
saintsfan912 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 11:33 PM    (permalink
BerninWI
Rookie

BerninWI is a cocksman.BerninWI is a cocksman.BerninWI is a cocksman.BerninWI is a cocksman.BerninWI is a cocksman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNIPER26 View Post
For conference purposes. Basically this is me beating around the bush in favor of a playoff. I don't give a **** who wins between the #22 team and #25 team in the Bumble **** Bowl. I want to see a bad ass 16 team tournament.
Why can't you do both. The lower level bowls will be just as meaningful/meaningless.

16 team playoff may be stretching things....that's 4 weeks. I think 8 teams is plenty, and shave off an OOC game. Every major team with 1 loss is included, and maybe even a couple with 2. If you haven't taken care of business outside of one aberration game, I don't feel sorry if you're excluded. And you probably don't have a legit claim to best team in the land.

Like I've said before, the only fans who believe the current system is more beneficial than a playoff are brainwashed by the powers that be.
BerninWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 12:46 AM    (permalink
TigerBait45
Veteran

TigerBait45 is a cocksman.TigerBait45 is a cocksman.TigerBait45 is a cocksman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saintsfan912 View Post
Our backup QB sucked? He's a hell of alot better than anyone UM had or has at the moment. Sorry dude, just cause UM sucks balls doesn't mean LSUs QB sucked.
Calm down, thats not what he meant at all.
TigerBait45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 07:28 AM    (permalink
Sniper
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by BerninWI View Post
Why can't you do both. The lower level bowls will be just as meaningful/meaningless.

16 team playoff may be stretching things....that's 4 weeks. I think 8 teams is plenty, and shave off an OOC game. Every major team with 1 loss is included, and maybe even a couple with 2. If you haven't taken care of business outside of one aberration game, I don't feel sorry if you're excluded. And you probably don't have a legit claim to best team in the land.

Like I've said before, the only fans who believe the current system is more beneficial than a playoff are brainwashed by the powers that be.
Every other level is able to do a tournament. We can do it for 1-A too. But 8 could work too. 16 would be godly though. But I agree with your points.
Old 09-03-2007, 09:22 AM    (permalink
RyanLeaf#1
All-Pro

RyanLeaf#1 is a cocksman.RyanLeaf#1 is a cocksman.RyanLeaf#1 is a cocksman.RyanLeaf#1 is a cocksman.RyanLeaf#1 is a cocksman.

This yea for Notre Dame I know it isnt a reality, but I would rather ND beat Penn State then win any bowl game. That is if they even make a bowl which dont look to good right now. So just go out as 16 point underdogs this week, and pull off a giant upset for good ol RyanLeaf#1

Phillies 2007 NL East Champions & Back to Back MVP Award Winners.
Indianapolis Colts 13-3
Philadelphia Flyers 19-14-4 = 42 points
Philadelphia 76ers 14-18
Coach Bob Huggins 10-2
RyanLeaf#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 09:23 AM    (permalink
Sniper
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanLeaf#1 View Post
This yea for Notre Dame I know it isnt a reality, but I would rather ND beat Penn State then win any bowl game. That is if they even make a bowl which dont look to good right now. So just go out as 16 point underdogs this week, and pull off a giant upset for good ol RyanLeaf#1
Yeah I get what you mean. I'd rather beat OSU, ND or PSU than win some bowl game. Just has more meaning to me. Is that what ND is? 16 point dogs?
Old 09-03-2007, 12:38 PM    (permalink
duckseason
All-Pro

duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
He didn't say your backup QB sucked. He said it sucked to lose to him.
Old 09-03-2007, 12:46 PM    (permalink
DChess
All-Pro

DChess is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DChess is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DChess is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DChess is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DChess is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DChess is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DChess is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DChess is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DChess is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DChess is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DChess is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

the main thing is it gives teams momentum into the next year, not just from a team morale standpoint, but also it gives the voters a thing to remember, for next years rankings. example a: texas beating michigan in the rose bowl
DChess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 12:52 PM    (permalink
smittyjs
All-Pro

smittyjs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.smittyjs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.smittyjs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.smittyjs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.smittyjs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.smittyjs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.smittyjs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.smittyjs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.smittyjs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.smittyjs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.smittyjs is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Do you listen?? He said losing to LSU and their back up QB suck, not your back up QB buddy....

Jay Cutler>Matt Leinart>>>>danman253
XBL GT smitty js Go Vandy!!!!!!
Chris Johnson son!!!!!!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JoUr82vUx60
http://www.bangcartoon.com/2007/pacman.htm
smittyjs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 01:42 PM    (permalink
NittanyLion2k7
Pro Bowler

NittanyLion2k7 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNIPER26 View Post
Yeah I get what you mean. I'd rather beat OSU, ND or PSU than win some bowl game. Just has more meaning to me. Is that what ND is? 16 point dogs?
ND is and has been overrated the past 2 seasons. THey haven't won a bowl game either. And as for OSU, well... the last time you beat them, Ernest Shazor was the safety back there. And heck, he had more heart than most of your secondary combined.

Why is winning the Bowl games a big deal?

A)You show everyone on a NATIONAL stage that you are the ****. You go out of conference and pull out victories against traditional powerhouses like FSU And Tennesse, on national TV.
B)You bring pride to the conference that you make reference to so much. You win all the games in your conference for what? Not for some stupid "Conference Title" which means nothing outside of your conference. You win all those games so you can go to the best possible bowl game, and prove to the rest of America that you are indeed the best from that conference.
C)You prove that you can win "The Big Game." For some teams the big games include games in their own conference against Rivals. These are important, however more important than anything is to win your Bowl Game. It's the biggest one of the season, highest exposure and the one that culminates the year. If you lose your bowl game, you're going into the next season as losers. Everyone looks at your team as a disappointment and knows you couldn't finish. If you win, you ride off momentum. Less questions hang on your team, your leaders and your coach.

Michigan wouldn't know much about any of these 3 things. And last I checked, you haven't beaten OSU since we have beaten them so drop that arguement. Yea, beating OSU's and Michigan's are important. So is beating App State.
NittanyLion2k7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 02:04 PM    (permalink
neko4
All-NFLDC

neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

does anyone have the list that shows what conferences play against eachother in bowls

Old 09-03-2007, 02:09 PM    (permalink
wiscbadgerfootball
Pro Bowler

wiscbadgerfootball is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wiscbadgerfootball is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wiscbadgerfootball is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wiscbadgerfootball is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wiscbadgerfootball is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wiscbadgerfootball is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wiscbadgerfootball is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wiscbadgerfootball is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wiscbadgerfootball is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wiscbadgerfootball is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wiscbadgerfootball is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

http://www.fanblogs.com/bowl_games/006990.php

sig by me.. first in ages, pm with requests
wiscbadgerfootball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 02:12 PM    (permalink
neko4
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiscbadgerfootball View Post
thanks

Old 09-03-2007, 02:13 PM    (permalink
Sniper
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by NittanyLion2k7 View Post

Michigan wouldn't know much about any of these 3 things. And last I checked, you haven't beaten OSU since we have beaten them so drop that arguement. Yea, beating OSU's and Michigan's are important. So is beating App State.
Dude...you have not beaten Michigan in 10 ******* YEARS! And ND was overrated and smacked the taste out of your mouth last year, so I don't know how you can talk about teams being overrated. Cool, you beat a mightily overrated Tennessee team and a FSU team with no offense. Way to hang your hat on that. I'm not making every thread a pissing match between you and I, so come up with other stuff besides "OMGZ LOLZ MICHIGAN LOST TO APP. STATE HAHAHAHAHAHAH OMGZ WE'RE DA **** BECAUSE WE LOSE TO EVERY GOOD TEAM WE PLAY".