Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New Orleans Saints Team Forum

New Orleans Saints Team Forum Discuss the Saints

Old 10-04-2009, 01:11 AM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJSchneider View Post
As is Donald Strickland, our nickel. Dwight Lowery and Drew Coleman are solid, don't get me wrong, but both are downgrades. Losing the depth at corner will hurt a lot too.
derza222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 11:33 AM    (permalink
wicket
All-Pro

wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

yeah it might sound weak but we can really use less depth at corner, certainly with our depth at wideout. favourable matchups waiting to happen

Saints 2014 draft wish list:
- No pass rusher till the fourth round (or preferably at all)
- Corner or Wideout in the first
- No reaching
- No Kelvin Benjamin
wicket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 12:02 PM    (permalink
Auron
Veteran

Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wicket View Post
yeah it might sound weak but we can really use less depth at corner, certainly with our depth at wideout. favourable matchups waiting to happen
I think it does give us a slight edge, but honestly I don't think these losses will change Rex Ryan's approach much. Which is just to send the all out pressure at the QB from various angles. So now instead of Sheppard, and Strickland matched 1-1 on an island with our receivers it will be Lowery, and Coleman who probably aren't as talented cover men but if our Protection doesn't give Drew Brees the necessary amount of time to get accurate throws off it won't matter.

Looks like Bushrod will be out, and Zach Strief will get the start at Left Tackle he really has to step up.
Old 10-04-2009, 02:35 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Absolutely, against the Titans it wasn't as big of a deal but it really hurts a lot against a team with as much depth and talent at WR as the Saints.
Old 10-04-2009, 05:38 PM    (permalink
CJSchneider
Team Leader
Icon

CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

17-3 at the half. I am impressed with our defensive play in the first half.

2 C 5:6-8 Jakob Murphy aka themaninblack
CJSchneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 06:04 PM    (permalink
Auron
Veteran

Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Defense has done a great job taking advantage of Turnover opportunities... however they can't hold up forever; and we haven't had much success Offensively thus far.

Offense is going to have to get something going here, but the key thing remains we have to protect the football. Very costly fumble...
Old 10-04-2009, 07:03 PM    (permalink
wicket
All-Pro

wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.wicket is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

well second straight week the D wins a game for us. I must say im impressed

- No reaching
- No Kelvin Benjamin
Old 10-04-2009, 07:29 PM    (permalink
diabsoule
Icon

diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
well second straight week the D wins a game for us. I must say im impressed
So am I. Our defense is playing great.

Beastly sig by BoneKrusher

Super Bowl XLIV Champions
WHO DAT!

Check out my blog:
www.saturdaynightslant.com

Follow me on Twitter
http://twitter.com/#!/LaSportsDude
diabsoule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 07:30 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

The Saints played a great game. Williams did a fantastic job with the defensive calls, tackling was consistent and your defense both stopped the run and made Sanchez pay for the mistakes that he made. I have to say while I expected a Saints victory I did not expect the defense to be carrying them as opposed to the offense. This is a really different team from previous seasons down in New Orleans, winning ugly two games in a row without ridiculous offensive production. Definitely a dangerous team in the NFC. Best of luck the rest of the season, guys.
Old 10-04-2009, 07:43 PM    (permalink
wicket
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by derza222 View Post
The Saints played a great game. Williams did a fantastic job with the defensive calls, tackling was consistent and your defense both stopped the run and made Sanchez pay for the mistakes that he made. I have to say while I expected a Saints victory I did not expect the defense to be carrying them as opposed to the offense. This is a really different team from previous seasons down in New Orleans, winning ugly two games in a row without ridiculous offensive production. Definitely a dangerous team in the NFC. Best of luck the rest of the season, guys.
cheers.

on the game: I guess Sharper wasnt kidding when he said that sanchez had a tell

- No reaching
- No Kelvin Benjamin
Old 10-04-2009, 07:53 PM    (permalink
Hurricanes25
All-Pro

Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Congrats on the win fellas. Even when your passing game ain't running on 8 cylinders, your running game stepped up and helped preserve the win. One thing that really impressed me was your defense. The D is so much improved from previous seasons. You guys are dangerous this year. Good game guys.

Sig by BoneKrusher
Hurricanes25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2009, 08:25 PM    (permalink
Auron
Veteran

Thanks for the credit, Jets will be a really tough team the rest of the way.. that Defense is one of the best and will keep them in many games.

As for the Saints whew second straight tough, ugly Win.. but I will take it a thousand timer over. The Defensive effort carried us, which is a very pleasant surprise. In years past when the Offense; Passing game in particular struggled we had almost no chance at winning. This years team however has a different type of resiliency.

4-0 heading into the Bye week looks very promising, but we have a lot of improvements to work on. Hopefully the Offense can get things figured out, to be fair they were playing a top notch Defense. Also hopefully we can get some key guys like Clancy, Malcom Jenkins, and Mike Bell healthy.
Old 10-05-2009, 01:10 AM    (permalink
Saints-Tigers
Pro Bowler

Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Running game comes through big in the second half.

First half:
Bush, 4 carries, 30 yards
Thomas, 4 carries, 5 yards

They were clogging the line up, Reggie made nothing from a few broken plays to get any yards.

Second half:
Bush: 2 carries, 7 yards
Thomas:15 carries, 82 yards

Want big stats, run when the D is broken down in the second half. Made a post about it, but everyone dismissed me.
Saints-Tigers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 12:01 AM    (permalink
Flyboy
All-Pro

Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Week Six: New York Giants @ New Orleans Saints

... yeah, no need to pump you guys up for this one. Thoughts?
The whole world loves neophyte athletic tight end Jimmy Graham from Miami with the 95th pick. "Best pick in the draft,'' one AFC coach told me. "Give him time, and in that offense, he'll be better than [Jeremy] Shockey by the start of next year.''

“We know that no matter the adversity, be it the lockout, be it the suspension or be it a hurricane, our men will pull together and defend the honor of this city. We’ve shown we’ve been able to do that.” - Jabari Greer
Flyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2009, 07:58 PM    (permalink
Auron
Veteran

These games just keep getting bigger. I know how early in the season this is, but I think this game is a huge test for both teams.

I really hope I'm wrong in my assessment, but the more I look at this game the more I think this might be the first time this season the Saints slip up. Before this game I viewed the Giants as the best team in the NFC.. and even though they lack a true high quality opponent on their schedule thus far, my opinion hasn't changed. They are a well coached, disciplined team, that even on the road just take care of business. We will need our best effort Offensively, Defensively, Special Teams wise, and also our Coaches need to be well prepared in this one.

The biggest reason why I give the Giants the edge.. (even despite our Homefield advantage) is that they have an amazing Defensive Front Four.. and can generate great pressure with just 4 rushers... and those kind of teams have given our Offense fits the past few seasons. Combine that with the fact that we've had issues at Left Tackle so far this season makes me really uneasy.. it hasn't shown to be an issue yet.. but this week we're going up against Osi Umenyiora. Whether it's Bushrod or Strief they will have their hands full... and I'm not even all that confident in the Justin Tuck / Stinchcomb match-up... I think Tuck might get the best of him as well on some plays.

The most important aspect for the Saints this game is staying ahead of the chains, and not falling behind early. We have to stay out of 3rd & longs... therefore false starts, penalties, negative plays will be even more magnified. Can't let that disruptive Giants line tee off vs. the pass. I think if we're to win this we're going to need a huge effort from Pierre Thomas, and Mike Bell.

Last edited by Auron : 10-13-2009 at 08:00 PM.
Auron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 12:50 PM    (permalink
Flyboy
All-Pro

Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think quick passing and the screen game is going to be vital in this game - Brees gets the ball off quickly but he's going to have to be even quicker this weekend with it. I'm just hoping we can survive with a win.
The whole world loves neophyte athletic tight end Jimmy Graham from Miami with the 95th pick. "Best pick in the draft,'' one AFC coach told me. "Give him time, and in that offense, he'll be better than [Jeremy] Shockey by the start of next year.''

“We know that no matter the adversity, be it the lockout, be it the suspension or be it a hurricane, our men will pull together and defend the honor of this city. We’ve shown we’ve been able to do that.” - Jabari Greer
Flyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2009, 09:54 PM    (permalink
CJSchneider
Team Leader
Icon

CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.CJSchneider is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I have a feeling their running game is going to give us fits.

Old 10-14-2009, 10:42 PM    (permalink
Auron
Veteran

Quote:
I have a feeling their running game is going to give us fits.
I think they definitely have the potential to control the clock with their running game. I mentioned in a Giants thread somewhere that the back that concerns me the most is Ahmad Bradshaw... he's a very shifty, and compact back who is very difficult to tackle. In our games so far most teams never truly tried to establish a running game against us because we've been able to get out to an early lead in all 4 of our games. Hopefully that can continue but it will be interesting to see how this team responds if they trail at some point during this game.

I agree that the quick passing game will be a key factor in this game. I think we can somewhat neutralize the Giants rush with quick passes to the outside, I think we might try to set up a swing screen, or another quick developing play to the outside to Bush at some point. I'm hoping that if Mike Bell/Pierre Thomas are both available which I think they will.. we'll be able to run the ball effectively which will help keep us out of 3rd & longs.

Defensively we'll have our work cut out for us though, outside of New England, and Atlanta this is one of our biggest Defensive challenges of the season.
Old 10-15-2009, 08:18 AM    (permalink
CJSchneider
Team Leader
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auron View Post
I think they definitely have the potential to control the clock with their running game. I mentioned in a Giants thread somewhere that the back that concerns me the most is Ahmad Bradshaw... he's a very shifty, and compact back who is very difficult to tackle. In our games so far most teams never truly tried to establish a running game against us because we've been able to get out to an early lead in all 4 of our games. Hopefully that can continue but it will be interesting to see how this team responds if they trail at some point during this game.

I agree that the quick passing game will be a key factor in this game. I think we can somewhat neutralize the Giants rush with quick passes to the outside, I think we might try to set up a swing screen, or another quick developing play to the outside to Bush at some point. I'm hoping that if Mike Bell/Pierre Thomas are both available which I think they will.. we'll be able to run the ball effectively which will help keep us out of 3rd & longs.

Defensively we'll have our work cut out for us though, outside of New England, and Atlanta this is one of our biggest Defensive challenges of the season.
That's been the fan's game plan for 3 years now.

Old 10-15-2009, 02:54 PM    (permalink
Saints-Tigers
Pro Bowler

Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Saints-Tigers is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Not I, I enjoy the swing pass, but I think moving Bush into the slot and sending him downfield enough times will make them take a LB off the field and they will have to match our "running" packages with a nickel or dime, and that's an advantage to your running game.
Saints-Tigers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 05:24 PM    (permalink
CJSchneider
Team Leader
Icon

Oops I meant just to get the "quick developing play" portion. Yeah, we all think Bush is more of a wing-back type.

Old 10-15-2009, 05:57 PM    (permalink
Forenci
Super Monkey Balls
All-Pro

Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Forenci is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm actually really worried about this game as a Giants fan. For all the press and notoriety Drew Brees and the passing game get (I love Brees btw, my favorite QB in the NFL) I think it's your ground game that scares me the most.

We've had a ton of trouble stopping the run and you guys have a really good attack with Bell and Thomas. I doubt we'll be getting Canty back this week, or even next, which makes it even more worrisome you'll be able to cut us up on the ground.

I think this will be a really fun and interesting match up any way you look at it though. There are a lot of developing storylines and strengths and weaknesses both of these teams can try and play on.

Should be good!
Old 10-15-2009, 06:02 PM    (permalink
wicket
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forenci View Post
I'm actually really worried about this game as a Giants fan. For all the press and notoriety Drew Brees and the passing game get (I love Brees btw, my favorite QB in the NFL) I think it's your ground game that scares me the most.

We've had a ton of trouble stopping the run and you guys have a really good attack with Bell and Thomas. I doubt we'll be getting Canty back this week, or even next, which makes it even more worrisome you'll be able to cut us up on the ground.

I think this will be a really fun and interesting match up any way you look at it though. There are a lot of developing storylines and strengths and weaknesses both of these teams can try and play on.

Should be good!
if the ground game gets going for the saints i would expect a saints win. it would give brees the time he needs and with the way our d is forcing turnovers they wouldnt even need that many normal stops. Im curious how our D would do if they have to win it again for the team (although i dont really wanna figure it out, i just wanna win and win big)

- No reaching
- No Kelvin Benjamin
Old 10-16-2009, 03:48 AM    (permalink
Rosebud
All-NFLDC

Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
if the ground game gets going for the saints i would expect a saints win. it would give brees the time he needs and with the way our d is forcing turnovers they wouldnt even need that many normal stops. Im curious how our D would do if they have to win it again for the team (although i dont really wanna figure it out, i just wanna win and win big)
I don't worry about our pass D, even if we don't dial up the pressure, because I like our pass rushers on your Tackles and I like our match ups with all of your receiving weapons except Bush and Shockey, one of which we should be able to neutralize giving the other one an opportunity to hurt us. Ultimately I think we'll contain you guys, which is the best we can hope for with our current injury list.

Offensively we will eat the clock and sustain some drives, I see Ahmad having a big game, and I think we'll give eli enough time against your pass rush to keep our drives going. This should be a great game and I look forward to it and ultimately I see it coming down to the fourth quarter and while I know Payton has been better this year than in the past, but I do half expect a play-calling **** up from him in the fourth to give us a chance to gain some ground, which is why I'm being a homer and picking the giants.

*watches Darren Sharper pick Eli off 3 times including 2 pick-6's as Corey Webster gets injured for three to 6 weeks and punches self in the balls*

BK

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcheTen View Post
JPP is a better and more productive player than Brandon Graham
Quote:
Originally Posted by abaddon41_80 View Post
Is Shaun Hill a top 10 QB? Definitely not. Is he a top 20 one? Almost certainly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBCX View Post
Most misleading 10+ sack season EVER.
Rosebud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 05:37 PM    (permalink
Auron
Veteran

Quote:
Oops I meant just to get the "quick developing play" portion. Yeah, we all think Bush is more of a wing-back type.
Well I think we're going to have to rely on quick developing plays in this one.. simply because Osi, Justin Tuck, and Kiwanuka are in my mind the best trio of pass rushing ends in the league and if our Tackles especially Bushrod/Strief are isolated with any of them for too long it will be trouble for our passing game.

I feel if we are going to win this game we're going to have to rely on Running the ball strongly with our multitude of backs, and mixing it up with quick passes... for some reason I fear that Payton is going to want to come out guns blazing and try to set up some deep shots early... and one of the Giants rushers disrupts the timing and forces an early mistake... Payton has been great with being balanced, and using the running game this season however so I hope that continues.