Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New Orleans Saints Team Forum

New Orleans Saints Team Forum Discuss the Saints

Old 11-10-2007, 04:17 PM    (permalink
Auron
Veteran

Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't truly buy it either, I think Linehan will be careful not to overload Jackson too much but if they are in prime position to win with a lead you would have to bet they'll try to grind the clock out with him.

The key to Win this game is to continue taking the 1 game at a time approach to avoid a letdown. I think Payton needs to make the team prepare for the Rams as if they were an 8-0 team, regardless of how they’ve played recently. I think obviously Holt & Bruce will present a lot of match up problems vs. our secondary, and having 2 starters on the Defensive line Out (Brian Young, and Charles Grant) really hurts when facing Steven Jackson. Kendrick Clancy, Antwan Lake, Renaldo Wynn, and Josh Cooper need to step up big time.

I believe we have to jump out to an early lead..something we've done the past few games. You can't let a team like St.Louis hang around, the longer they are in the game the more confidence they will build.
Old 11-10-2007, 09:55 PM    (permalink
Stash
Pro Bowler

Stash is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Stash is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Stash is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Stash is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Stash is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Stash is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Stash is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Stash is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Stash is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Stash is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Stash is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Whats Reggie's status? He's listed as questionable and I was just wondering if you guys expect him to get a lot of touches or not.
Stash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 10:20 AM    (permalink
Auron
Veteran

Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Auron is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stash View Post
Whats Reggie's status? He's listed as questionable and I was just wondering if you guys expect him to get a lot of touches or not.
He said he was going to play, and that it's just your average football injury that a lot of guys fight through.

I think he'll start but I expect his snaps to be carefully monitored, Pierre Thomas and Aaron Stecker should get a little more action today.
Old 11-11-2007, 10:24 AM    (permalink
Flyboy
All-Pro

Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Game Day. I'm definitely nervous... here's hoping for the win and no injuries.
The whole world loves neophyte athletic tight end Jimmy Graham from Miami with the 95th pick. "Best pick in the draft,'' one AFC coach told me. "Give him time, and in that offense, he'll be better than [Jeremy] Shockey by the start of next year.''

“We know that no matter the adversity, be it the lockout, be it the suspension or be it a hurricane, our men will pull together and defend the honor of this city. We’ve shown we’ve been able to do that.” - Jabari Greer
Flyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 03:39 PM    (permalink
diabsoule
Icon

diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

That game was terrible and Reggie Bush and Jammal Brown are out and I don't know the extent of the injury. We can't really lose any more games. I also hope the coaching staff realizes after this season that Jason David is nothing more than a nickel corner. I want to see Usama Young as the starter opposite McKenzie.

Beastly sig by BoneKrusher

Super Bowl XLIV Champions
WHO DAT!

Check out my blog:
www.saturdaynightslant.com

Follow me on Twitter
http://twitter.com/#!/LaSportsDude
diabsoule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 04:24 PM    (permalink
Auron
Veteran

Just so disappointing. It looked like we were starting to get back on track as a team and we go out and play that kind of a game. I feared the letdown coming into this game, but I never expected them to regress to playing like they did when they went 0-4.

Have to lay this loss squarely on the shoulders of Sean Payton and Drew Brees. Drew had some throws where he panicked under pressure and gave the Rams momentum, and attempting only 10 running back hand offs the whole game was just a monumental mistake of making us totally 1 dimensional.

It's clear that we are not a playoff caliber team this season, and have to make some improvements over the course of the rest of this season and off-season. I understand Holt/Bruce are one of the toughest WR combos to cover in the game but Jason David was embarrassed out on the field today.. he needs to improve very fast, very soon or this experiment should be over.
Old 11-11-2007, 04:42 PM    (permalink
Geo
Neo Geo (Moderator)
Icon

Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Maybe some credit should go to Haslett, I've never seen the Rams so active before the snap and they were bringing disguised looks that were often effective against the Saints.
Old 11-11-2007, 04:47 PM    (permalink
Flyboy
All-Pro

Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Trapgame indeed. -_-
The whole world loves neophyte athletic tight end Jimmy Graham from Miami with the 95th pick. "Best pick in the draft,'' one AFC coach told me. "Give him time, and in that offense, he'll be better than [Jeremy] Shockey by the start of next year.''

“We know that no matter the adversity, be it the lockout, be it the suspension or be it a hurricane, our men will pull together and defend the honor of this city. We’ve shown we’ve been able to do that.” - Jabari Greer
Old 11-11-2007, 06:04 PM    (permalink
diabsoule
Icon

diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auron View Post
Just so disappointing. It looked like we were starting to get back on track as a team and we go out and play that kind of a game. I feared the letdown coming into this game, but I never expected them to regress to playing like they did when they went 0-4.

Have to lay this loss squarely on the shoulders of Sean Payton and Drew Brees. Drew had some throws where he panicked under pressure and gave the Rams momentum, and attempting only 10 running back hand offs the whole game was just a monumental mistake of making us totally 1 dimensional.

It's clear that we are not a playoff caliber team this season, and have to make some improvements over the course of the rest of this season and off-season. I understand Holt/Bruce are one of the toughest WR combos to cover in the game but Jason David was embarrassed out on the field today.. he needs to improve very fast, very soon or this experiment should be over.
That experiment is over. He's not a starter on our team unless we start with the nickel package. He's a nickel corner at the most for us. We need Usama Young to step up and take the spot next to McKenzie or else we forego getting a first round linebacker and go after a first round corner. It pisses me off that we didn't go after Chris Houston or Puz in last year's draft to at least lessen the need for either CB or LB.

WHO DAT!

Check out my blog:

Follow me on Twitter
Old 11-11-2007, 06:15 PM    (permalink
Geo
Neo Geo (Moderator)
Icon

Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Not sure how much experience David has in the nickel. I'm pretty sure he hasn't played there in the pros, maybe college?
Old 11-11-2007, 07:06 PM    (permalink
Auron
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabsoule View Post
That experiment is over. He's not a starter on our team unless we start with the nickel package. He's a nickel corner at the most for us. We need Usama Young to step up and take the spot next to McKenzie or else we forego getting a first round linebacker and go after a first round corner. It pisses me off that we didn't go after Chris Houston or Puz in last year's draft to at least lessen the need for either CB or LB.
At this point might as well just start Usama Young (if he's healthy) he can gain some playing experience and learn as he goes, quite frankly he can't do any worse.
Old 11-12-2007, 12:06 AM    (permalink
diabsoule
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo View Post
Not sure how much experience David has in the nickel. I'm pretty sure he hasn't played there in the pros, maybe college?
I'd much rather have him lined up against the slot receiver than against the #2.

WHO DAT!

Check out my blog:

Follow me on Twitter
Old 11-12-2007, 04:55 PM    (permalink
TigerBait45
Veteran

TigerBait45 is a cocksman.TigerBait45 is a cocksman.TigerBait45 is a cocksman.

Oh Saints..some things never change.
TigerBait45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 05:15 PM    (permalink
Geo
Neo Geo (Moderator)
Icon

I think it was just a bad match-up for the Saints. Bulger is an accurate quarterback when healthy/standing, he was going to keep the Rams offense on the field. The Rams were going to come out of the bye week ready and roaring for their first win of the season. They were getting an elite runningback in Steve Jackson back, even though the Saints were going to hold him well in the running game with their run defense, he's a big part of their passing game and success in short-yardage/goal-line/third down conversion situations.

A big key was not having Charles Grant, as right tackle is/was a weakness for the Rams.
Old 11-14-2007, 01:20 PM    (permalink
Flyboy
All-Pro

Quote:
I think it was just a bad match-up for the Saints. Bulger is an accurate quarterback when healthy/standing, he was going to keep the Rams offense on the field. The Rams were going to come out of the bye week ready and roaring for their first win of the season. They were getting an elite runningback in Steve Jackson back, even though the Saints were going to hold him well in the running game with their run defense, he's a big part of their passing game and success in short-yardage/goal-line/third down conversion situations.

A big key was not having Charles Grant, as right tackle is/was a weakness for the Rams.
Not to mention our offensive line played like **** and could not pick up the blitz that Haslett was throwing at us. I would much rather have Jonathan Goodwin starting at C than Faine at this point.

Old 11-14-2007, 01:37 PM    (permalink
diabsoule
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyboy View Post
Not to mention our offensive line played like **** and could not pick up the blitz that Haslett was throwing at us. I would much rather have Jonathan Goodwin starting at C than Faine at this point.
I think we need a new starting C. I don't know how we'll get one but we need one. Maybe Alleman can play C? Usama Young needs to start at CB. I'll preach that until he does.

I'm very frustrated right now with this coaching staff. We were on a roll winning four games in a row and then right at the time that we couldn't lose a game we drop one to the then winless Rams.

WHO DAT!

Check out my blog:

Follow me on Twitter
Old 11-14-2007, 02:05 PM    (permalink
Flyboy
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabsoule View Post
I think we need a new starting C. I don't know how we'll get one but we need one. Maybe Alleman can play C? Usama Young needs to start at CB. I'll preach that until he does.

I'm very frustrated right now with this coaching staff. We were on a roll winning four games in a row and then right at the time that we couldn't lose a game we drop one to the then winless Rams.
Until we're able to get a new center, Goodwin would be my choice. Against one of the best defensive lines in football (Jax), the guy held his own against Stroud & Henderson. The 49er game? Brees had forever to throw. Same with the Jax game. Faine comes in... looks just like the first four weeks.

I honestly saw that loss coming a mile away. I just didn't have a good feeling about that game... even if we win the next four or however many I can't get excited about this team. We're just not a playoff team at this point.

Last edited by Flyboy : 11-14-2007 at 03:54 PM.
Old 11-14-2007, 02:57 PM    (permalink
diabsoule
Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyboy View Post
Until we're able to get a new center, Goodwin would be my choice. Against one of the best defensive lines in football (Jax), the guy held his own against Stroud & Henderson. The 49er game? Brees had forever to throw. Same with the Jax game. Faine comes in... looks just like the first four weeks.

I honestly saw that loss coming a mile away. I just did have a good feeling about that game... even if we win the next four or however many I can't get excited about this team. We're just not a playoff team at this point.
That's true about Brees having all day to throw against both Jax and SF. I just don't understand this team. We have a decent amount of talent but can't seem to get it together enough to be consistent.

WHO DAT!

Check out my blog:

Follow me on Twitter
Old 11-14-2007, 05:37 PM    (permalink
Geo
Neo Geo (Moderator)
Icon

I missed the fact that Faine returned to the line-up this past Sunday. Maybe the injury was lingering too much, then. Still, one would think the veteran center might do a better job of line calls, but the Rams really did an amazing job I thought of disguising looks and bringing pressure. Credit to Haslett and the Rams for using 2 weeks to maximum effect, they knew their only chance of outscoring the Saints in New Orleans was trying to deliver strong pressure on Brees. I'd just tip my hat to a very motivated and rested Rams team, having two weeks to think about a 0-7 record and desperately wanting to get their first win, and move on.

I like the Saints to bounce back this week, at Houston. Not having a Top 10 corner in Dunta Robinson hurts the Texans defense badly, the rest of the secondary at best isn't anything special. I'mn sure Reggie Bush will have an added bit of motivation himself.

Last edited by Geo : 11-14-2007 at 05:41 PM.
Geo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 05:40 PM    (permalink
Flyboy
All-Pro

Quote:
I missed the fact that Faine returned to the line-up this past Sunday. Maybe the injury was lingering too much, then.
Faine really hasn't looked that good this season at all whether he's been healthy or not. When Goodwin has played, our offensive line looked amazing. I doubt a change occurs but it's definitely worth mentioning.

Quote:
I like the Saints to bounce back this week, at Houston. Not having a Top 10 corner in Dunta Robinson hurts the Texans defense badly, the rest of the secondary isn't anything special at best. I'mn sure Reggie Bush will have an added bit of motivation himself.
I do believe Andre Johnson will be back this game, though and that worries me. At the beginning of the season, I said that Bush would get 5 TDs against HOU. It was a hyperbole for sure, but it wouldn't surprise me in the least if he had one of his best games as a pro this Sunday. It does suck that he's really dinged & nicked up, though.

Old 11-18-2007, 03:09 PM    (permalink
diabsoule
Icon

Saints have got to do something. They look terrible. We have got to get Lance Briggs and Josh Brown in FA.

We need to concentrate on defense cuz our current one sucks.

WHO DAT!

Check out my blog:

Follow me on Twitter
Old 11-18-2007, 03:13 PM    (permalink
Auron
Veteran

Dropped to 4-6 now. Mathematically we're still in it but after the way we've lost the past 2 games I just don't have any confidence in this team to do much the rest of the way.

I think the main focus this off-season has to spent almost exclusively on Defense, and finding a consistent ground game.
Old 11-22-2007, 10:29 AM    (permalink
Geo
Neo Geo (Moderator)
Icon

First off, Jamaal Brown and Charles Grant fully practiced on Wednesday. That's good news for the Saints.

The Saints can definitely still make the playoffs as the wild card. I still think that, they can and will imo. The New York Giants have the first wild card spot, and there are four teams currently in the running for the second and final wild card spot in the NFC: Arizona, Detroit, New Orleans, and Washington.

Arizona (5-5)
Sun 11/25 San Francisco
Sun 12/2 Cleveland
Sun 12/9 at Seattle
Sun 12/16 at New Orleans
Sun 12/23 Atlanta
Sun 12/30 St. Louis
Verdict: Arizona looks like the most viable candidate to battle New Orleans for the second and final wild card spot, they have an offense and a defense that can play. They can win every game on this schedule, but really just as likely lose four of six. Cleveland and New Orleans will be shootouts, and division games against Seattle and St. Louis will be just as embattled given the familiarity. It's Arizona, so you can't help but want to wait and see.

Detroit (6-4)
Thu 11/22 Green Bay
Sun 12/2 at Minnesota
Sun 12/9 Dallas
Sun 12/16 at San Diego
Sun 12/23 Kansas City
Sun 12/30 at Green Bay
Verdict: I don't think the Lions aren't making it, much to the disappointment of the team and the fans after finally experiencing some serious excitement and hope past September. If they can win today against the Packers, maybe that can instill a resolve to make it, but I like the visiting Packers to give the Lions their third-straight loss.

New Orleans (4-6)
Sun 11/25 at Carolina
Sun 12/2 Tampa Bay
Mon 12/10 at Atlanta
Sun 12/16 Arizona
Sun 12/23 Philadelphia
Sun 12/30 at Chicago
Verdict: Three straight division games is though, but the Saints have a good chance to win in each game remaining and that bodes well for a potential playoff run. I've felt that way since the offseason, when I pointed out their schedule post-Jacksonville/Thanksgiving (when coaches place a strong emphasis on the season). Weren't the Philadelphia Eagles 5-6 after Week 11 last year? I believe so, and they finished the year 10-6 once they got hot on offense and defense.

Washington (5-5)
Sun 11/25 at Tampa Bay
Sun 12/2 Buffalo
Thu 12/6 Chicago
Sun 12/16 at NY Giants
Sun 12/23 at Minnesota
Sun 12/30 Dallas
Verdict: That's a tough stretch, even the Minnesota game is in the Metrodome with potentially Adrian Peterson able to play. The Redskins could potentially lose all six games. So 8-8 or worse won't cut it. Shame, as I picked them before the season to make the playoffs as a wild card team, but the team lost games that they should have won and Joe Gibbs carries a good deal of the blame for that (both in terms of coaching and previous personnel decisions). But this team will be much stronger once Bill Cowher takes over next season, a serious contender in the NFC.

Let's see how it all works out.

Last edited by Geo : 11-22-2007 at 10:34 AM.
Geo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2007, 05:24 PM    (permalink
Auron
Veteran

Nice analysis. I'd love to be optimistic about the Saints post-season chances.. but honestly until I see this team stop shooting themselves in the foot week after week by Turning the ball over, dropping passes, and giving up effortless big plays on Defense; I can't hope for too much.

Right now this team has major struggles productively Running the football, and Defending the pass. With Steve Smith playing.. I'm not feeling too great about our chances, he always finds a way to kill us. Unless we suddenly find a way to do just enough in the running game to take pressure off the passing game, and stop getting killed in the secondary I'm not too sure what to expect from this team...but the last 2 games have been bad...very bad.
Old 11-25-2007, 11:38 AM    (permalink
Geo
Neo Geo (Moderator)
Icon

woot woot