Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > The Locker Room > Off Topic

Off Topic Almost Anything Goes

Old 10-10-2007, 03:48 PM    (permalink
Hurricane Ditka
Team Leader
All-Pro

Hurricane Ditka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricane Ditka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricane Ditka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricane Ditka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricane Ditka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricane Ditka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricane Ditka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricane Ditka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricane Ditka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricane Ditka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricane Ditka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charm City Byrdgang View Post
Ah another big HST fan, You should check out:

All stories about Hunter told by Ralph Steadman ( Illustrator of Fear and Loathing and long time friend of Hunter.)
Steadman's a pretty good artist himself. I added a little more to my original post. If you like Hunter's stuff, I highly reccomend Acid Test and Cuckoo's Nest.

sig by VLS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokey Joe View Post
I don't care...
Hurricane Ditka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 03:48 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 03:49 PM    (permalink
Turtlepower
All-Pro

Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Read this book and the subsequent trilogy for a children's lit class... DON'T READ IT!!!! I thought it sucked, but I felt like I should finish it cause I was bored.

^Bad ass sig by fenikz^

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halsey View Post
I don't have to watch it to know it was not interesting.
Giants, ASU Sun Devils, Yankees
Turtlepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 04:46 PM    (permalink
Damix
All-Pro

Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The GM is supposed to be really good. I might pick it up even though I usually don't like those type of books
Damix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 05:27 PM    (permalink
Paranoidmoonduck
Team Leader
All-Pro

Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurricane Ditka View Post
Steadman's a pretty good artist himself. I added a little more to my original post. If you like Hunter's stuff, I highly reccomend Acid Test and Cuckoo's Nest.
I don't know, Kesey's and Wolfe's books are a lot more heavy handed than Thompson's. In the end, Kesey was a fiction writer, Wolfe was a political writer, and Thompson was a journalist.

Not to say I don't love Cuckoo's Nest, but I couldn't make it through Acid Test.
Old 10-10-2007, 05:36 PM    (permalink
Staubach12
All-Pro

Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Staubach12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm a real nerd when it comes to reading. I read so much. Anyway, right now I just finished Operation Solo: The FBIs man in Krimlin. I'm about to start Water for Elephants.

BoneKrusher
Staubach12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 05:36 PM    (permalink
Wootylicous
All-NFLDC

Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Wootylicous is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

#MoncriefArmy
Wootylicous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 05:40 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I like Chomsky but the only problem I see with him is that he is very anti-zionist. Or at least he seems that way.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 06:00 PM    (permalink
Addict
All-NFLDC

Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wo_oT88 View Post
Chomsky is awesome

finished this one not too long ago

Sig by Fenikz

I remember NFLDC
don't tell anyone, but Charlie Casserly is a dope fiend
Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 06:11 PM    (permalink
Hurricane Ditka
Team Leader
All-Pro

Hurricane Ditka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricane Ditka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricane Ditka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricane Ditka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricane Ditka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricane Ditka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricane Ditka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricane Ditka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricane Ditka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricane Ditka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricane Ditka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoidmoonduck View Post
I don't know, Kesey's and Wolfe's books are a lot more heavy handed than Thompson's. In the end, Kesey was a fiction writer, Wolfe was a political writer, and Thompson was a journalist.

Not to say I don't love Cuckoo's Nest, but I couldn't make it through Acid Test.
Thompson was a gonzo journalist, he wasn't a pure journalist. He creatively presented non-fiction. I think that Cuckoo's Nest echos some of the same themes that are prominent in Fear and Loathing.

sig by VLS
Quote:
I don't care...
Old 10-10-2007, 06:14 PM    (permalink
Paranoidmoonduck
Team Leader
All-Pro

Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurricane Ditka View Post
Thompson was a gonzo journalist, he wasn't a pure journalist. He creatively presented non-fiction. I think that Cuckoo's Nest echos some of the same themes that are prominent in Fear and Loathing.
My point isn't subject matter, but writing style. A lot of what Thompson wrote was fiction, even when he presented it as non-fiction. However, he presented it in a very honest and direct way, and when he did add his own commentary (like when he rips Timothy Leary in Fear and Loathing) he didn't really tend to preach.

I found Wolfe entirely too preachy in Acid Test and I have found Kesey similarly annoying in some of his work (not really in Cuckoo though).
Old 10-10-2007, 07:41 PM    (permalink
scoopdawg
Veteran

scoopdawg hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

scoopdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 08:10 PM    (permalink
Moses
All-NFLDC

Moses could make a wolverine purr.Moses could make a wolverine purr.Moses could make a wolverine purr.Moses could make a wolverine purr.Moses could make a wolverine purr.Moses could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoopdawg View Post
Please don't tell me you found out about that via a certain VH1 series.
Moses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 08:15 PM    (permalink
Zim3031
Pro Bowler

Zim3031 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I've never been a huge fiction reader, but I absolutely loved this book:

Old 10-10-2007, 08:28 PM    (permalink
RoyHall#1
Pro Bowler

RoyHall#1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RoyHall#1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RoyHall#1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RoyHall#1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RoyHall#1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RoyHall#1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RoyHall#1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RoyHall#1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RoyHall#1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RoyHall#1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RoyHall#1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moses View Post
Dude, that show taught me everything I know.
RoyHall#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 08:29 PM    (permalink
Moses
All-NFLDC

Moses could make a wolverine purr.Moses could make a wolverine purr.Moses could make a wolverine purr.Moses could make a wolverine purr.Moses could make a wolverine purr.Moses could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyHall#1 View Post
Dude, that show taught me everything I know.
It should be noted that it isn't clear how much of that show is acting and how much is reality. Mystery Method is real, but that show is sketchy at best.
Old 10-10-2007, 08:44 PM    (permalink
RoyHall#1
Pro Bowler

RoyHall#1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RoyHall#1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RoyHall#1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RoyHall#1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RoyHall#1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RoyHall#1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RoyHall#1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RoyHall#1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RoyHall#1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RoyHall#1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RoyHall#1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
It should be noted that it isn't clear how much of that show is acting and how much is reality. Mystery Method is real, but that show is sketchy at best.
I didn't really watch it. But maybe I should read the book...
RoyHall#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 08:52 PM    (permalink
Moses
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyHall#1 View Post
I didn't really watch it. But maybe I should read the book...
I suggest reading the book "The Game" by Neil Strauss first. It's a lot more interesting and will be easier to get through. Mystery's writings are more like a textbook.
Old 10-10-2007, 10:13 PM    (permalink
Hurricane Ditka
Team Leader
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoidmoonduck View Post
My point isn't subject matter, but writing style. A lot of what Thompson wrote was fiction, even when he presented it as non-fiction. However, he presented it in a very honest and direct way, and when he did add his own commentary (like when he rips Timothy Leary in Fear and Loathing) he didn't really tend to preach.

I found Wolfe entirely too preachy in Acid Test and I have found Kesey similarly annoying in some of his work (not really in Cuckoo though).
Honestly due to time conflicts I only got like half through Acid Test, although I enjoyed what I read enough to recommend it. And I haven't got around to reading Kesey's other works, and really don't intend to from what I've gathered about them.

sig by VLS
Quote:
I don't care...
Old 10-10-2007, 11:10 PM    (permalink
scoopdawg
Veteran

scoopdawg hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
nope i found out about it like 6 months ago and yes it does work
scoopdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 10:24 PM    (permalink
oldLibid21
Veteran

oldLibid21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.oldLibid21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.oldLibid21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.oldLibid21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.oldLibid21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.oldLibid21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.oldLibid21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.oldLibid21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.oldLibid21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.oldLibid21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.oldLibid21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Blind Side by Michael Lewis

Streams in the Desert by L.B. Cowman

Republic by Plato
oldLibid21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 10:25 PM    (permalink
oldLibid21
Veteran

oldLibid21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.oldLibid21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.oldLibid21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.oldLibid21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.oldLibid21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.oldLibid21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.oldLibid21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.oldLibid21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.oldLibid21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.oldLibid21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.oldLibid21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The best book I've ever read:

Old 01-16-2008, 04:35 PM    (permalink
oldLibid21
Veteran

Old 01-16-2008, 04:50 PM    (permalink
ShutDwn
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ShutDwn is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libid21 View Post
HOLY CRAP I was just going to post that, that is really weird. I just finished it two nights ago, I thought it was hilarious though many people will be disgusted by it.
Old 01-16-2008, 04:55 PM    (permalink
terribletowel39
All-Pro

terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.terribletowel39 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I just started Scar Tissue by Anthony Kiedis, so far so good. really interesting stuff.

Silverback....still the best.

+rep to Jakey for the sig
terribletowel39 is offline   Reply With Quote