Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Pro Football

Pro Football Discuss professional football.

View Poll Results: Who is the runner up?
New England Patriots 33 42.31%
San Diego Chargers 45 57.69%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-06-2007, 04:02 PM    (permalink
Geo
Neo Geo (Moderator)
Icon

Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiver View Post
If we blame Schottenheimer for the loss against the Patriots, do we blame Belicheck for choking away an 18-point lead against Indianapolis?
This is an interesting question, actually.

I'd place some blame on Belichick for personnel decisions that reared their head in the game. If Deion Branch is on the roster, the Pats are very likely up there with the 70s Steelers as the only franchise/dynasty to win 4 SBs in 6 years. The team had/has needed to acquire more talented youth at DB and LB for some time, although the former didn't really come into play with how well Ellis Hobbs played. Being forced to start Eric Alexander wasn't something Belichick was thrilled about, I'm sure.

In terms of the gameplan, obviously Belichick put his team in position to win with them up 21-3 in the middle of the 2nd quarter. History won't remember this, but the Patriots were in position to bury the Colts. After the 21-3 score, the Patriots defense made another great stand and the Patriots offense had moved the ball to the Colts' 40. But an offensive interference call on Troy Brown (called for making a pick on a defender) and a weird sack on Brady where he heard Freeney before he was actually there prevented them from making it 28-3 or even 24-3 and potentially ending the Colts' hopes. Don't know if you can blame Belichick there.

Did Belichick do a bad job of halftime adjustments? Or did his 3-4 defense, simply put, get gassed by playing the Colts at the RCA Dome? Don't forget the previous matchup between the two teams in the RCA Dome was a 38-34 (yes, same score) win by the Patriots in 2003 after the Colts came back from an 18-point margin (yes, same margin) in the 4th quarter. The Colts had moved the ball all the way down to the goalline but Belichick's defense made a goalline stand to win the game.
Old 09-06-2007, 04:11 PM    (permalink
Geo
Neo Geo (Moderator)
Icon

Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Although now that I think about it, I'm wondering how much credit should go to Belichick for the win at San Diego. Hmm, I'll have to give it some thought.

Brady didn't play well at all but made the plays in the second half to win. Troy Brown's strip fumble was one of the headiest plays I've ever seen. The Patriots defense was getting beat by the Chargers' running game with their OL, Lorenzo Neal, and LDT - all three the best in the league at their respective positions imo. Eric Parker was a huge liability who one could argue should have worn a Pats uniform. Shawn Phillips was injured and Shawne Merriman was gassed, neither producing much.

Nice job, Shiver. Nice job. ;)
Old 09-06-2007, 04:11 PM    (permalink
ninerfan
Pro Bowler

ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.ninerfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

sun n surf @ 2nd

me want to kill you? hahaha Bonekrusher you complete me
ninerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 04:37 PM    (permalink
nfrillman
Veteran

nfrillman could make a wolverine purr.nfrillman could make a wolverine purr.nfrillman could make a wolverine purr.nfrillman could make a wolverine purr.nfrillman could make a wolverine purr.nfrillman could make a wolverine purr.nfrillman could make a wolverine purr.nfrillman could make a wolverine purr.nfrillman could make a wolverine purr.

First of all, where the hell are the Rams??? This is an outrage of justice!!!

As for the New England/San Diego game last year, the San Diego WR's deserve plenty of blame. Their performace was Falcons WR-esque.

I am done arguing, until somebody says something stupid.
nfrillman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 04:43 PM    (permalink
Flyboy
All-Pro

Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Flyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Chargers because of good ol' Turner.
The whole world loves neophyte athletic tight end Jimmy Graham from Miami with the 95th pick. "Best pick in the draft,'' one AFC coach told me. "Give him time, and in that offense, he'll be better than [Jeremy] Shockey by the start of next year.''

“We know that no matter the adversity, be it the lockout, be it the suspension or be it a hurricane, our men will pull together and defend the honor of this city. We’ve shown we’ve been able to do that.” - Jabari Greer
Flyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 05:16 PM    (permalink
awfullyquiet
Miss NFLDC
All-Pro

awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

i picked NE.
on paper they're great.
four high quality recievers. a boston college like workman-o-line.
tom brady.

but without seymour the defense will be lacking. with good linebackers (not great). they just look like they have the capability to underachieve and make so many look like foos. sure, i think they'll still win 11, but they're not the best team in the league. SD is still better with or without norv turner.

but not by much.
SD's corners will be exposed for being pretty bad. but what made up for it last year was the power of merriman and olshanky delivering quality rushes. with the amount of time they give QB's in the league. it makes their corners look that much better.
merriman won't go back to 22.5 sacks this year, he'll be less effective, slightly less worrisome, and cause less headaches than last year. and what about rivers? eh?

they're both equal. my six are 1, SD, 2, NE, 3, NO, 4, CHI, 5, BAL, 6 IND

United: "I actually went to the college I root for"
awfullyquiet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 06:41 PM    (permalink
Ward
Administrator
All-NFLDC

Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Is this about Norv winning a SB or Power Rankings? The best team in the league is clearly San Diego in my eyes. Power Rankings have nothing to do with projecting final rankings.
Ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2007, 07:46 PM    (permalink
BrownsTown
All-Pro

BrownsTown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BrownsTown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BrownsTown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BrownsTown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BrownsTown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BrownsTown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BrownsTown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BrownsTown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BrownsTown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BrownsTown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BrownsTown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ward View Post
Is this about Norv winning a SB or Power Rankings? The best team in the league is clearly San Diego in my eyes. Power Rankings have nothing to do with projecting final rankings.
My thoughts exactly.
BrownsTown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 09:13 AM    (permalink
princefielder28
Legend

princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.princefielder28 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Patriots = #1

Follow me on Twitter! http://twitter.com/#!/aMo_Captain
princefielder28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 09:43 AM    (permalink
P-L
Head Moderator
Legend

P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Just pointing out, but NIP started these power rankings before the 2005 season because he wanted to come up a with universal draft order that people can use in their mock drafts, if they wanted.
P-L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 04:16 AM    (permalink
WMD
Suck it Metsox
Legend

WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Pre-draft bump.. just a look at what NFLDC voted for the Power Rankings before the season started.. Got a couple right. Atlanta #3 and Buffalo #11. Nice call on Baltimore at #28, guys!

1. Oakland Raiders
2. Cleveland Browns
3. Atlanta Falcons
4. Kansas City Chiefs
5. Tennessee Titans
6. Miami Dolphins
7. Minnesota Vikings
8. Tampa Bay Buccaneers
9. Detroit Lions
10. Houston Texans
11. Buffalo Bills
12. New York Giants
13. Washington Redskins
14. Arizona Cardinals
15. Green Bay Packers
16. San Francisco 49ers
17. New York Jets
18. Carolina Panthers
19. Seattle Sehawks
20. St Louis Rams
21. Jacksonville Jaguars
22. Pittsburgh Steelers
23. Philadelphia Eagles
24. Dallas Cowboys
25. Denver Broncos
26. Cincinnati Bengals
27. New Orleans Saints
28. Baltimore Ravens
29. Chicago Bears
30. Indianapolis Colts
31. San Diego Chargers
32. New England Patriots
Old 04-24-2008, 08:56 AM    (permalink
Dam8610
Team Leader
All-Pro

Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Dam8610 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiver View Post
If we blame Schottenheimer for the loss against the Patriots, do we blame Belicheck for choking away an 18-point lead against Indianapolis?
I'd say 4th and 13 is more directly his fault than his defense tiring out on him. The latter is really more a result of poor personnel choices, not poor coaching.

The problem arises when people use statistics like a drunk uses a lamp post: for support instead of illumination.

If luck is where preparation meets opportunity, then clutch is where failure meets luck.

Quote:
<Add1ct> setting myself on fire can't be that hard
<Add1ct> but tackling a mosquito might prove a challenge
Dam8610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 09:56 PM    (permalink
scottyboy
Coolio Cat
Legend

scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

hey, i remember the Giants being 21! we had no shot at all. destined for a top 10 pick :D
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerToCJ View Post
BTW, if it's 3rd and 97... I'm throwing a screen pass to Brian Leonard and he will convert.
scottyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 10:09 PM    (permalink
GB12
Team Leader
Icon

GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyboy View Post
hey, i remember the Giants being 21! we had no shot at all. destined for a top 10 pick :D
Actually that'd be the 12th pick ;)
Old 04-25-2008, 12:35 AM    (permalink
WMD
Suck it Metsox
Legend

WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB12 View Post
Actually that'd be the 12th pick ;)
Well, I changed the numbers so it'd be in some form of a draft order..