Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > College Football

College Football Discuss College Football

Old 09-09-2007, 02:39 PM    (permalink
soybean
All-Pro

soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default USA today coaches poll

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/colle...l/usatpoll.htm

SEC still > pac-10

5 sec teams and 4 pac-10.

EDIT: here's both the USA today poll and the AP.

so in all fairness guys, Oklahoma is number 3 in the AP.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/rankingsindex

Last edited by soybean : 09-09-2007 at 03:52 PM.
soybean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 02:44 PM    (permalink
TigerBait45
Veteran

TigerBait45 is a cocksman.TigerBait45 is a cocksman.TigerBait45 is a cocksman.

I was a little surprised to see Oklahoma stay at 5. They're in my Top 3.
TigerBait45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 02:45 PM    (permalink
Tampa 2 4 life
All-Pro

Tampa 2 4 life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Tampa 2 4 life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Tampa 2 4 life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Tampa 2 4 life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Tampa 2 4 life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Tampa 2 4 life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Tampa 2 4 life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Tampa 2 4 life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Tampa 2 4 life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Tampa 2 4 life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Tampa 2 4 life is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Man, South Florida is STILL not in the top 25? I think USF deserves it more than Oregon IMO.
Old 09-09-2007, 03:11 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Hawaii holding tight at 22. :D
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 03:13 PM    (permalink
scottyboy
Coolio Cat
Legend

scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

WOOO RU up to 13!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerToCJ View Post
BTW, if it's 3rd and 97... I'm throwing a screen pass to Brian Leonard and he will convert.
scottyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 03:13 PM    (permalink
P-L
Head Moderator
Legend

P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tampa 2 4 life View Post
Man, South Florida is STILL not in the top 25? I think USF deserves it more than Oregon IMO.
They are #27 and Auburn is #26. That makes no sense to me.
P-L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 03:16 PM    (permalink
TPFKA#1SaintsFan
Pro Bowler

TPFKA#1SaintsFan hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.TPFKA#1SaintsFan hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerBait45 View Post
I was a little surprised to see Oklahoma stay at 5. They're in my Top 3.
Uhh... who exactly has Oklahoma beaten to justify them leaping West Virginia and Florida? You are aware that Miami stinks as of late, no?
The Poster Formerly Known As #1SaintsFan

Sig by jkpigskin
TPFKA#1SaintsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 03:18 PM    (permalink
BerninWI
Rookie

BerninWI is a cocksman.BerninWI is a cocksman.BerninWI is a cocksman.BerninWI is a cocksman.BerninWI is a cocksman.

There seems to be a lot of bias amongst pollsters toward Auburn. The Badgers finished with the same losses as Auburn in '05, more wins, and crushed them in their bowl game; yet Wisconsin finished behind Auburn in the final poll. This year, South Florida beats Auburn at Jordan Hare, has a better record, yet received less votes. It must be those SEC homer coaches and writers who have a difficult time adjusting from the prejudice that everything is better in the SEC. LSU fans were chanting "SEC" after their win yesterday. On what basis? It's not as if the SEC had an overly impressive week overall to compel that chant. Old traditions die hard. The Pac 10 is the best conference in the land this year IMO.
BerninWI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 03:19 PM    (permalink
BerninWI
Rookie

BerninWI is a cocksman.BerninWI is a cocksman.BerninWI is a cocksman.BerninWI is a cocksman.BerninWI is a cocksman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPFKA#1SaintsFan View Post
Uhh... who exactly has Oklahoma beaten to justify them leaping West Virginia and Florida? You are aware that Miami stinks as of late, no?
Uhhh....what defense has West Virginia ever played to justify being #3 or 4 in the preseason rankings?
Old 09-09-2007, 03:22 PM    (permalink
TPFKA#1SaintsFan
Pro Bowler

TPFKA#1SaintsFan hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.TPFKA#1SaintsFan hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BerninWI View Post
Uhhh....what defense has West Virginia ever played to justify being #3 or 4 in the preseason rankings?
The preseason rankings were what they were. Oklahoma has done nothing to stand out over Florida or WV to this point.

Sig by jkpigskin
Old 09-09-2007, 03:23 PM    (permalink
SuperKevin
Icon

SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperKevin is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

So much for all the hype about lower division schools getting votes. Not even one vote for App State
SuperKevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 03:24 PM    (permalink
P-L
Head Moderator
Legend

P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Miami beats Marshall by 28 points.

West Virginia beats Marshall by 25 points.

Oklahoma beats Miami by 38 points.

I'd like to know what makes West Virginia (trailing Marshall at half-time) and Florida (giving up 31 points to Troy) so much better than Oklahoma.
Old 09-09-2007, 03:29 PM    (permalink
BerninWI
Rookie

Quote:
The preseason rankings were what they were. Oklahoma has done nothing to stand out over Florida or WV to this point.
That's illogical to say pollsters shouldn't correct preconceived notions they had during the preseason following evidence that has mounted in the actual season. It's not as if being dropped a few spots would be a death sentence for West Virginia so there would need to be proof beyond a reasonable doubt to convict them. That's an archaic belief about preseason rankings.
Old 09-09-2007, 03:38 PM    (permalink
P-L
Head Moderator
Legend

Quote:
That is what is wrong with college football polls. Why the hell should where the teams were ranked in the preseason have anything to do with the week 2 polls. Oklahoma wasted a Miami team that is far superior to any team that Florida or West Virginia has faced. Oklahoma has been the superior of the three teams up to this point. They need to rank the teams based on how good they are, not how good they were in the preseason.
Old 09-09-2007, 03:41 PM    (permalink
TPFKA#1SaintsFan
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriots-Lions View Post
Miami beats Marshall by 28 points.

West Virginia beats Marshall by 25 points.

Oklahoma beats Miami by 38 points.

I'd like to know what makes West Virginia (trailing Marshall at half-time) and Florida (giving up 31 points to Troy) so much better than Oklahoma.
You need to: a.) work on your comprehension skills, or b.) quit putting words in my mouth. Never did I say that WV or Florida are so much better, much better, or even better than Oklahoma. All I'm saying is that Oklahoma hasn't done anything to this point in the season to warrant moving them up in the rankings over two teams who haven't done anything to warrant moving down in the rankings.

I don't care what Miami did against Marshall compared to what WVU did against Marshall. Quite frankly, it's irrelevant. In the end, WVU beat Marshall by a considerable margin. If they would have lost or beaten Marshall by less than, let's say, 25 points, then you might have a case that Miami is better than WVU. Which isn't the point you're trying to make, or at least I hope it's not. If D3 Fudpucker University loses to App. State by 1 point, does that make Fudpucker U better than Michigan? Whatever logic you think you're using with that BS, it's pretty skewed.

Oh, and by the way, Troy is a pretty good team.

Sig by jkpigskin
Old 09-09-2007, 03:47 PM    (permalink
soybean
All-Pro

soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I really thought LSU would vault USC in most of these polls but, even though LSU gained some votes, USC still has a pretty comfortable lead.
soybean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 03:51 PM    (permalink
TigerBait45
Veteran

Quote:
Who have Florida and West Virginia played to justify them being higher? I put more stock in beating an ACC team 51-13 than I do beating a Sun Belt or C-USA team, plus Oklahoma looks better than both teams to me.

Just because they're both ranked higher and haven't lost doesn't mean that they shouldn't drop. Oklahoma looks like one of the three best teams in the country right now. They put up 51 points on a pretty good defense.
Old 09-09-2007, 04:12 PM    (permalink
TPFKA#1SaintsFan
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Who have Florida and West Virginia played to justify them being higher? I put more stock in beating an ACC team 51-13 than I do beating a Sun Belt or C-USA team, plus Oklahoma looks better than both teams to me.

Just because they're both ranked higher and haven't lost doesn't mean that they shouldn't drop. Oklahoma looks like one of the three best teams in the country right now. They put up 51 points on a pretty good defense.
Quote:
Oklahoma hasn't done anything to this point in the season to warrant moving them up in the rankings over two teams who haven't done anything to warrant moving down in the rankings.
I'm sticking by this, and I really don't see how anybody can truly argue otherwise. West Virginia's won its 2 games by an average of 31.5 points. Florida's won by an average of 37 points. It's not like Oklahoma just drubbed some ranked team. All 3 teams have played unranked teams and all 3 have won their games comfortably. I do think that Oklahoma probably is a better team, but they haven't done anything to justify moving them above the two above them, regardless of if I think they "deserve" it or not. Think of it this way: as much as you think Oklahoma deserves to be ranked above WV and Florida, can you really say that WV or Florida has done anything to deserve dropping in the rankings? I don't think so...

Sig by jkpigskin
Old 09-09-2007, 04:17 PM    (permalink
TigerBait45
Veteran

I don't really think they have to. If LSU had moved up to the top of the poll it wouldn't have been because USC deserved to drop, it would've been because LSU deserved to move up.

Either way, like I said, I put a little more stock into beating up on a team from a major conference with a solid defense than beating up on Marshall or Troy.
Old 09-09-2007, 04:25 PM    (permalink
TPFKA#1SaintsFan
Pro Bowler

Quote:
I don't really think they have to. If LSU had moved up to the top of the poll it wouldn't have been because USC deserved to drop, it would've been because LSU deserved to move up.

Either way, like I said, I put a little more stock into beating up on a team from a major conference with a solid defense than beating up on Marshall or Troy.
Like I said, Troy is a pretty good team. They went into haltime last week against Arkansas down by just 6. They won 8 games last season and absolutely demolished Rice in the N.O. Bowl. They had close games at Florida State and at Georgia Tech (you know, those ACC teams). A couple of years ago they lost to LSU by 4 points in Death Valley, you should remember that. Troy's got a solid program, and I knew they would have a decent showing against Florida. I'd bet that they could go toe-to-toe with this Miami team.

Sig by jkpigskin
Old 09-09-2007, 04:32 PM    (permalink
TigerBait45
Veteran

Oh, I know they've been building a solid program, but theres no real reason for Florida to give up 31 points to them in my opinion. They're a solid team and have been since they came up to D-1, but UF is a top 5 team.

I definitely understand what you're saying though.

Its not about penalizing WVU or Florida though. Its about rewarding OU for playing like one of the best teams in the country.

Last edited by TigerBait45 : 09-09-2007 at 04:39 PM.
Old 09-09-2007, 04:38 PM    (permalink
TPFKA#1SaintsFan
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Oh, I know they've been building a solid program, but theres no real reason for Florida to give up 31 points to them in my opinion.

I definitely understand what you're saying though.

Its not about penalizing WVU or Florida though. Its about rewarding OU for playing like one of the best teams in the country.
Playing like one of the best teams in the country against a couple of mediocre teams? That's why I'm not buying it.

Sig by jkpigskin
Old 09-09-2007, 04:52 PM    (permalink
P-L
Head Moderator
Legend

I just don't understand what Florida and West Virginia have done to show that they are better than Oklahoma. The rankings should be based off which team is the best, second best, third best, and so on. It should NOT be based off of if a team deserves to be moved down or not. I've seen one game of each team and Oklahoma has looked better than Florida and West Virginia. Therefore, they should be ranked higher. Oklahoma beat the #28 ranked team by 38 points. That is more impressive than West Virginia and Florida beating a teams not ranked in the top 40 by a lesser margin. Whether WVU and UF did anything to drop in the rankings, Oklahoma DID do something to jump ahead of them. Miami isn't a garbage team like you make them out to be. There were ranked three spots outside the top 25.
Old 09-09-2007, 04:53 PM    (permalink
BerninWI
Rookie

Quote:
Playing like one of the best teams in the country against a couple of mediocre teams? That's why I'm not buying it.
One second you're calling Troy a "pretty good team" and the next second you're calling Miami a "mediocre" team. That sounds to me like you're conforming your opinions to fit your beliefs. You geniunely believe that the Men of Troy would comfortably beat Miami on a neutral field? Because that's what those statements connote.

What about Marshall? Are they a pretty good team who would beat Miami too. What you're conveniently overlooking is that West Virginia scored 3 TD's in the 4th quarter to make the score look more lopsided than the game actually was, including one complete garbage TD by Devine. That was a 4 point game in the 4th quarter and should have ended with an 18 point margin. I don't believe teams should get credit for being good at running up the score against backups. Nor should they be discredited for not doing so. It does not project to future success either way.
Old 09-09-2007, 05:00 PM    (permalink
BerninWI
Rookie

In my opinion, early in the season teams should be judged based upon a thorough talent assessment that was done before the season, as well as an assessment of their performances to date. The truth is somewhere in the middle. Coaches/media shouldn't be over-reactive to a performance in one week nor should they be inflexible.

In other words if you thought that West Virginia was the 3rd best team in the nation prior to the season, and then 11th best team in the nation the first two weeks, rank them about 7th as a general rule. Or if a team like Oklahoma completely blows you away they should make a meteoric rise.

Last edited by BerninWI : 09-09-2007 at 05:03 PM.