College Football Discuss College Football

View Poll Results: Who wins
UW 29 47.54%
tOSU 32 52.46%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-12-2007, 02:20 PM    (permalink
gstock05
Veteran

gstock05 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToldLikeItIs View Post
Gstock is absolutely exaggerating, quit being a ridic. man
I'll hear you out. I was expecting multiple people to say this (and rightfully so on their behalf). I just want to hear your opinion on the exaggerations..
gstock05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 06:26 PM    (permalink
OhioState
Veteran

OhioState hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.OhioState hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstock05 View Post
Ohio State has more NFL talent on this defense than they have EVER had in the history of the school.

The scary thing about this team is they are playing like the cohesive unit that the 2005 squad was, and they have a scheme different to the 2006, version, and similar to the 2005 version where they blitz a LOT.

Just a FWIW.... here is the NFL talent projection on this squad....

DE- Vern Gholston, top 15
DE- Rob Rose, likely top 45 (hard to tell how high at a young age)
DT- Doug Worthington- if weight gains, likely top 50
DT- Todd Denlinger- likely top 100

LB James Laurinaitis- top 20
LB Marcus Freeman- top 60
LB Larry Grant- top 45

S- Anderson Russel- top 25
S- Kurt Coleman- top 60

CB- Malcolm Jenkins- top 25
CB- Donald Washington- top 60

And not to sound like an ass, but this is being pretty "safe" in the predictions. This is NOT the defense that got destroyed by Florida last year... or Michigan for that matter.
don't forget Lawrence Wilson, he has the potential to go in the first round.
Old 09-12-2007, 06:57 PM    (permalink
soybean
All-Pro

soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.soybean is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Ohio State has more NFL talent on this defense than they have EVER had in the history of the school.

The scary thing about this team is they are playing like the cohesive unit that the 2005 squad was, and they have a scheme different to the 2006, version, and similar to the 2005 version where they blitz a LOT.

LB Larry Grant- top 45

S- Kurt Coleman- top 60

And not to sound like an ass, but this is being pretty "safe" in the predictions. This is NOT the defense that got destroyed by Florida last year... or Michigan for that matter.
OHIO STATE'S GOING TO THE SUPERBOWL!!!!!
soybean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 07:36 PM    (permalink
jballa838
Team Leader
All-Pro

jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jballa838 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

LB Larry Grant- top 45

S- Kurt Coleman- top 60

So their entire defense is 1st day picks?
If that ever happens, i will salute you...

Quote:
Originally Posted by slightlyabroncosfan View Post
JBalla is mormon, so naturally he assumes that whenever you get one marriage done, another two or five are in the works.

jballa838 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 07:43 PM    (permalink
P-L
Head Moderator
Legend

P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.P-L is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

You are totally exaggerating. I 100% guarantee that all eleven (or twelve if you count Lawrence Wilson) starters on the Ohio State defense will not be first day draft picks when they come out. It will be an amazing feet if all eleven even get drafted. I do not believe this Ohio State defense is the best college football defense of all-time, which is essentially what you are suggesting.
P-L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 07:54 PM    (permalink
doingthisinsteadofwork
All-Pro

doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.doingthisinsteadofwork could make a wolverine purr.

yeah but they did so well against Youngstown State and Akron.
Old 09-12-2007, 10:37 PM    (permalink
gstock05
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriots-Lions View Post
You are totally exaggerating. I 100% guarantee that all eleven (or twelve if you count Lawrence Wilson) starters on the Ohio State defense will not be first day draft picks when they come out. It will be an amazing feet if all eleven even get drafted. I do not believe this Ohio State defense is the best college football defense of all-time, which is essentially what you are suggesting.
Yeah, my bad. LOL, i'll be honest, I was a bit drunk when I initially wrote that. But I dont think its an exaggeration to say this D has the most NFL talent OSU's ever had.
Old 09-12-2007, 10:39 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
The Professor (Hall of Famer)
Legend

bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Haha...how old are you kid?

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.
bearsfan_51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 12:29 AM    (permalink
YAYareaRB
All-NFLDC

YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.YAYareaRB is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
I think Washington wins and that Hawaii will beat Washington. :D
You, my friend, are a homer.

YAYareaRB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 08:45 AM    (permalink
keylime_5
All-NFLDC

keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Wilson, Rose, Gholston, Russell, Washington, Jenkins, Laurinaitis, and Freeman are definitely gonna be draft picks. Grant, Worthington, Denlinger, and Coleman have yet to be seen due to size/speed/strength/skill issues. I expect Grant and Coleman will be drafted someday, but Doug and Todd are so young it's impossible to tell at this point, let alone which round they will go. But, yeah, the people from the first list I named are mostly expected to go first day. (not mentioning future starters who will be drafted like Heyward, Clifford, Chekwa, Homan, Gibson, etc.)
Old 09-13-2007, 08:59 AM    (permalink
RyanLeaf#1
All-Pro

RyanLeaf#1 is a cocksman.RyanLeaf#1 is a cocksman.RyanLeaf#1 is a cocksman.RyanLeaf#1 is a cocksman.RyanLeaf#1 is a cocksman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YAYareaRB View Post
You, my friend, are a homer.
Couldnt agree with you more.

Phillies 2007 NL East Champions & Back to Back MVP Award Winners.
Indianapolis Colts 13-3
Philadelphia Flyers 19-14-4 = 42 points
Philadelphia 76ers 14-18
Coach Bob Huggins 10-2
RyanLeaf#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 09:30 AM    (permalink
RoyHall#1
Pro Bowler

RoyHall#1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RoyHall#1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RoyHall#1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RoyHall#1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RoyHall#1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RoyHall#1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RoyHall#1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RoyHall#1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RoyHall#1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RoyHall#1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.RoyHall#1 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

How is UW winning this? Just because our offense sucks? Washington won't get over 10 points in this game, and Beanie Wells is going to break out. 31-6.
RoyHall#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 09:35 AM    (permalink
RyanLeaf#1
All-Pro

RyanLeaf#1 is a cocksman.RyanLeaf#1 is a cocksman.RyanLeaf#1 is a cocksman.RyanLeaf#1 is a cocksman.RyanLeaf#1 is a cocksman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyHall#1 View Post
How is UW winning this? Just because our offense sucks? Washington won't get over 10 points in this game, and Beanie Wells is going to break out. 31-6.
Because everyone is voting with their heart.

Phillies 2007 NL East Champions & Back to Back MVP Award Winners.
Indianapolis Colts 13-3
Philadelphia Flyers 19-14-4 = 42 points
Philadelphia 76ers 14-18
Coach Bob Huggins 10-2
RyanLeaf#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 10:12 AM    (permalink
keylime_5
All-NFLDC

keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.keylime_5 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think Texas won the poll in a landslide last year when they played at home vs. Ohio State. Too bad for them that Texas lost in a landslide. Goes to show how accurate the polls on this board have been of late
Old 09-13-2007, 10:42 AM    (permalink
Michigan
Who wants to sex Mutombo?
Pro Bowler

Michigan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Michigan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Michigan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Michigan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Michigan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Michigan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Michigan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Michigan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Michigan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Michigan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Michigan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by keylime_5 View Post
I think Texas won the poll in a landslide last year when they played at home vs. Ohio State. Too bad for them that Texas lost in a landslide. Goes to show how accurate the polls on this board have been of late
Texas/OSU is as of late?
Old 09-13-2007, 11:57 AM    (permalink
gstock05
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearsfan_51 View Post
Haha...how old are you kid?
Old.

By the way, name an Ohio State NFL defense with more NFL talent. Please, you'll be quite challenged.

And dont mistake me for saying this is OSU's best defense either, because thats not what I'm implying. However in terms of pure NFL talent, we have LOADS of it right now, if nothing else from our player's measurables alone.
Old 09-13-2007, 12:29 PM    (permalink
elway777
All-Pro

elway777 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.elway777 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

OSU fans sure live up to their #1 Homer billing.

SC has the best NFL talent in the land. Do they have the best O or D, no. OSU is not a top 10 team this year. They dont have the weapons on O to support an average young QB. The D is talented(not nearly as high as you rank them however) but not on a level that will win games single handedly.
Truth is even if they win the big 10 this year, they are still not an elite team.
elway777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 01:06 PM    (permalink
bored of education
DC Creeper
Icon

bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bored of education is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

tOSU is under rated I think. But im a homer lol
<+ScottWright> Why not. Baldwin does need a sparring partner...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermstheman83 View Post
What's with the hate on Ricky Stanzi? Those youtube clips of him with the hulk hogan theme music instantly make him better than Luck.
bored of education is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 01:56 PM    (permalink
keylime_5
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by elway777 View Post
OSU is not a top 10 team this year. They dont have the weapons on O to support an average young QB. The D is talented(not nearly as high as you rank them however) but not on a level that will win games single handedly.
Truth is even if they win the big 10 this year, they are still not an elite team.
I think there's a good chance for them to be a top 10 team this year based on how the other teams who are suppoesed to be top 10 teams have played so far (discluding USC, LSU, Florida, and Oklahoma). OSU has had worse offenses and been a top 3 team twice before under Tressel (2002 and 2003). Chris Wells and Brian Robiskie are for real, but the season is so young it's impossible to really judge either unit, however OSU's offense this year will probably be better than it was in every year under Tressel save 2005 and 2006. The Akron score was a misnomer at 3-2 at halftime. I think the 6 turnovers by OSU in the game was the reason they didn't score 40+, not an ineffective offense that can't move the chains. You REALLY have to watch that game to see what was going on.

Nutshell: I think OSU's defense will win games single handedly at times this year as they have in year's past...the staff seems to think this could be the best defense they've ever had in their tenure here. I don't expect OSU to win all their games, but they will be a top 10 team I really believe and be either 1st or 2nd in the Big Ten and in a BCS game or maybe the Cap.1 bowl at very worst.

Last edited by keylime_5 : 09-13-2007 at 01:58 PM.
keylime_5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 05:50 PM    (permalink
JoeMontainya
Veteran

JoeMontainya needs more cowbell.

Quote:
OSU fans sure live up to their #1 Homer billing.

SC has the best NFL talent in the land. Do they have the best O or D, no. OSU is not a top 10 team this year. They dont have the weapons on O to support an average young QB. The D is talented(not nearly as high as you rank them however) but not on a level that will win games single handedly.
Offense only wins games if your in the Pac10. In real football (NFL etc...) games are won on defense and Ohio State has plenty of it currently and historically.
JoeMontainya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 04:47 AM    (permalink
Iamcanadian
All-NFLDC

Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Iamcanadian is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriots-Lions View Post
I think because it is in Washington, they have a decent chance at an upset. However, I don't see it happening. I think Ohio State wins by two or three scores.
I agree. Washington has made great strides under Willingham and they are playing at home but I just don't think they are in Ohio St's league just yet. I think Ohio St win by 2 TD's.
Old 09-14-2007, 04:21 PM    (permalink
elway777
All-Pro

elway777 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.elway777 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeMontainya View Post
Offense only wins games if your in the Pac10. In real football (NFL etc...) games are won on defense and Ohio State has plenty of it currently and historically.
You realize the Pac 10 is better then the Big 10 this year?
elway777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 04:28 PM    (permalink
BrownsTown
All-Pro

BrownsTown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BrownsTown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BrownsTown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BrownsTown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BrownsTown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BrownsTown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BrownsTown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BrownsTown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BrownsTown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BrownsTown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BrownsTown is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

Well duh, doesn't mean that a mediocre Pac 10 team can knock off one of the 2 teams who are at the top of the big 10 (Wisconsin is of course the other team, and they are certainly #1 in the Big 10 too, it'll basically come down to who wins that matchup I think)
BrownsTown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 05:17 PM    (permalink
gstock05
Veteran

Quote:
You realize that the PAC 10 is 1-1 with the Big 10 this year, and it's too early to honestly evaluate which conference is better than the other?

I would agree they will end up better, but lets not jump the gun. Michigan being bad does not = bad big 10. Keep in mind Oregon State got destroyed by almighty Cincinatti recently...

Anyway, big 10 being < than Pac 10 does not mean Washington > Ohio State.
Old 09-14-2007, 05:39 PM    (permalink
iowatreat54
Icon

iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
You realize that the PAC 10 is 1-1 with the Big 10 this year, and it's too early to honestly evaluate which conference is better than the other?

I would agree they will end up better, but lets not jump the gun. Michigan being bad does not = bad big 10. Keep in mind Oregon State got destroyed by almighty Cincinatti recently...

Anyway, big 10 being < than Pac 10 does not mean Washington > Ohio State.
sure it does...Stanford would go undefeated in the Big Ten and Arizona would trounce Wisconsin, didn't you know?

I kind of want Washington to win just because its tOSU and I'm always a fan of surprise teams doing well...but my gut just tells me that OSU's athleticism and overall talent will win this game for them, just my gut feeling tho

"You don't need thumbs. My best friend is my brother's dog, he doesn't have any thumbs, he's doin fine."
-Pat Angerer on breaking his thumb.

DJK = Mr. Fun-Haver
Kirk Ferentz = Coach Killjoy
iowatreat54 is offline   Reply With Quote