Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > NFC North Division Forum

NFC North Division Forum Discuss the NFC North

Old 03-10-2008, 09:01 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
The Professor (Hall of Famer)
Legend

bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I said better than good/average, meaning very good I guess. Of that list I would say the obvious two defensive ends, Pierce, and maybe Tuck and Ross.

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.
bearsfan_51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 09:03 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearsfan_51 View Post
I said better than good/average, meaning very good I guess. Of that list I would say the obvious two defensive ends, Pierce, and maybe Tuck and Ross.
id take Ross off the list then. not yet. he's gotta prove it first. for now he's good, with potential to be better.

question, wasn't alex brown on the market? or will you guys keep a 3 DE rotation going?
Old 03-10-2008, 09:08 PM    (permalink
Geo
Neo Geo (Moderator)
Icon

Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Geo is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I wish Kiwanuka didn't have to deal with the linebacker experiment shenanigans, but it's a necessary evil with Strahan still playing. Umenyiora is injured every year, so maybe he'll see time at DE yet.

BBD, Kiwi lines up inside at DT in the 4 Aces formation, right?
Old 03-10-2008, 09:11 PM    (permalink
Damix
All-Pro

Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Damix is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo View Post
I wish Kiwanuka didn't have to deal with the linebacker experiment shenanigans, but it's a necessary evil with Strahan still playing. Umenyiora is injured every year, so maybe he'll see time at DE yet.

He does, but I'm not sure if that will continue into next year with Alford proving to be capable at getting after the passer.

Damix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 09:12 PM    (permalink
scottyboy
Coolio Cat
Legend

scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.scottyboy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

he does, but with the amount of stunts and twists we use, it doesn't matter all that much. Alot you'll see Strahan and/or Osi coming up the middle
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmerToCJ View Post
BTW, if it's 3rd and 97... I'm throwing a screen pass to Brian Leonard and he will convert.
scottyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 09:12 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
Legend

bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
id take Ross off the list then. not yet. he's gotta prove it first. for now he's good, with potential to be better.

question, wasn't alex brown on the market? or will you guys keep a 3 DE rotation going?
We signed Brown to a 2 year extension. 15 million in new money so he's under contract for 4 more years.

So yeah.

We also drafted Dan Bazuin in the late 2nd last year and have Israel Idonije. Idonije can play UT and special teams, no idea what happens to Bazuin.

Old 03-10-2008, 09:14 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

yes, he was an inside guy. when we come out with 4 DEs, we do a lot of twisting and stunting because we have enough speed inside with Kiwi and Tuck to make it work. From my recollection, he mostly got his sacks by holding his ground, and letting the qb run right into him. The qb usually had to run around and away from our other DEs and that allowed Kiwi to just try to clog linemen and fall onto the qb who was busy running away from Osi, Tuck and Strahan.

As for the LB experiment, Im personally in favor it it. Why? Because its the only way i can see us realistically keeping 3 quality DEs long term. Having Kiwi allows us to move the investment to a different position technically. And in his hybrid role, we do alot of zone blitzing or Cover 2, so his coverage responsibilities are minimal.

He's also not strong enough in his current frame to play DE fulltime. especially LE.

He is a playmaker though, and if he does move fulltime to DE he's going to be a very very good DE with the right development. The problem is we can't keep him, Tuck and Osi long term as full time DEs. I just don't see it working. I think we'll see some big strides at LB this year. He was improving a lot in that role before he got hurt. Another year under his belt, hopefully he'll improve.
Old 03-10-2008, 09:16 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearsfan_51 View Post
We signed Brown to a 2 year extension. 15 million in new money so he's under contract for 4 more years.

So yeah.

We also drafted Dan Bazuin in the late 2nd last year and have Israel Idonije. Idonije can play UT and special teams, no idea what happens to Bazuin.
i think you guys can run a similar 4 ace package of your own this year. Lovie should give it a shot.
Old 03-10-2008, 09:43 PM    (permalink
VoteLynnSwan
All-Pro

VoteLynnSwan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VoteLynnSwan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VoteLynnSwan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VoteLynnSwan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VoteLynnSwan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VoteLynnSwan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VoteLynnSwan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VoteLynnSwan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VoteLynnSwan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VoteLynnSwan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.VoteLynnSwan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

well Tommie Harris would HAVE to be on the field no matter what... so if we say went with a lineup of

Anderson, Harris, Brown, Ogunleye

that wouldn't be a bad idea on passing situations.

Sig by me... Hold the applause.
VoteLynnSwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 09:48 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by VoteLynnSwan View Post
well Tommie Harris would HAVE to be on the field no matter what... so if we say went with a lineup of

Anderson, Harris, Brown, Ogunleye

that wouldn't be a bad idea on passing situations.
yeah thats what i was thinking. Harris is like a bulkier version of Tuck anyway. He can twist and stunt with the best of them. he has to stay on that field, perhaps only get off for breathers.

Extending Brown was a wise move too. Andersen gets paid peanuts anyway (what a steal btw), and by the time his contract comes around, Brown is gonezo.
Old 03-10-2008, 09:55 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
Legend

They'll likely extend Anderson much earlier than that. The Bears are like the Eagles in that regard.

And we sub Tommie rather frequently VLS. Israel Idonije usually plays NT in passing situations, I've seen Brown play UT but he isn't particularly good at it.

Old 03-20-2008, 03:40 AM    (permalink
awfullyquiet
Miss NFLDC
All-Pro

awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

wow. i read this thread from start to finish.

this has been a ******** season. i think bf called the nfc east 'a joke'.

anyway. i'm a big proponent of the 5-2 for the bears. 3 inside (anderson, dusty, harris), two over the strong side (ogunleye, bazuin), lb's cheat weak. sure, it might require the occasional coverage by an end over the middle or flat... but. speed isn't an issue with the de's. no-sir-ee-bob. this would be a real real real aggressive blitz package. i think it could be effective if you line up briggs over too.

i guess, in my mind, it'd be very suitable for cover-3 too.

United: "I actually went to the college I root for"
awfullyquiet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 03:33 PM    (permalink
neko4
All-NFLDC

neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by awfullyquiet View Post
wow. i read this thread from start to finish.

this has been a ******** season. i think bf called the nfc east 'a joke'.

anyway. i'm a big proponent of the 5-2 for the bears. 3 inside (anderson, dusty, harris), two over the strong side (ogunleye, bazuin), lb's cheat weak. sure, it might require the occasional coverage by an end over the middle or flat... but. speed isn't an issue with the de's. no-sir-ee-bob. this would be a real real real aggressive blitz package. i think it could be effective if you line up briggs over too.

i guess, in my mind, it'd be very suitable for cover-3 too.
Maybe Green Bay should go 5-2

/////////////Hawk-Barnett
KGB-Jenkins-Pickett-Jolly-Kampman
rotate Cole and Harrell in, and put Poppinga back at DE where he played in college and have him go in everynow and then

or maybe 4-4

Hawk-Hodge-Barnett-Poppinga
Jenkins-Pickett-Jolly-Kampman

or stick Bigby at Hawk's spot and Hawk at Hodge's spot and Hodge on the bench

Sig thanks to Bonekrusher

Last edited by neko4 : 03-21-2008 at 03:36 PM.
neko4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 02:08 AM    (permalink
PACKmanN
All-Pro

PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
Hawk is an NFL MIKE forced to play WILL because you can't bench Barnett who is a beast in his own right.

Hawk would beast it at MIKE, but what are the Pack supposed to do? You can't bench Barnett.

On top of that, Hodge is rotting on the bench.
Barnett has said he will play both the MIKE and WILL position but not the SAM. That being said, Barnett is the leader of the defense, and every defense leader is the MIKE.

And the other part about us being better, we should, but we rely on Woodson and Harris too much and hardly blitz with the LBers. Maybe it could have been Poppinga poor coverage skills not allowing us to blitz, so we will see now that we signed Chillar.
Old 03-22-2008, 12:11 PM    (permalink
GB12
Team Leader
Icon

GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PACKmanN View Post
Barnett has said he will play both the MIKE and WILL position but not the SAM. That being said, Barnett is the leader of the defense, and every defense leader is the MIKE.
No he hasn't. I dont know where you keep getting this from, but he never said that. He said that he likesplaying MLB and doesn't want to move at all. Now that he got a new contract he might be willing with some convincing, but there's no point in moving him as there are very few MLBs in the league I'd rather have.
Old 03-22-2008, 03:47 PM    (permalink
someone447
Pro Bowler

someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.someone447 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neko4 View Post

rotate Cole and Harrell in, and put Poppinga back at DE where he played in college and have him go in everynow and then
You know what that is? That is essentially a 3-4, you just subbed Kampmann for a rush backer.

KGB-Jenkins-Pickett-Kampmann-Poppinga
Hawk-Barnett
Old 03-23-2008, 08:59 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by PACKmanN View Post

And the other part about us being better, we should, but we rely on Woodson and Harris too much and hardly blitz with the LBers. Maybe it could have been Poppinga poor coverage skills not allowing us to blitz, so we will see now that we signed Chillar.
its a great problem to have really. youre essentially 3 deep at MIKE, and have 3 quality MIKEs on the roster. Even Hodge was pretty good when given the chance. Im a big Barnett fan, he's a great player. The problem is not maximizing Hawk's talents, but hey, what can you do.

i think your DC is just way too vanilla. a great defense needs great players and great coaching. you can't totally rely on the players, because sooner or later they won't execute up to par, and you can't totally rely on coaching because players make plays. a great/dominant defense has a good mix of the 2, and with GB, i see great players but poor coaching. he needs to mix it up more. or at least do a better job disguising the plays. its so obvious what your defense is doing.
Old 03-23-2008, 10:59 PM    (permalink
awfullyquiet
Miss NFLDC
All-Pro

awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neko4 View Post

or maybe 4-4

Hawk-Hodge-Barnett-Poppinga
Jenkins-Pickett-Jolly-Kampman

or stick Bigby at Hawk's spot and Hawk at Hodge's spot and Hodge on the bench
i really don't think that'd work as nice as you'd think, well, because of the way the packs defense works. it's passive, to the point it requires you to bend but not break, it's a real fantastic front four that allows woodson and harris to wreck havoc. not to say you couldn't run a 4-4 or 5-2, it's just that you don't need to. sure, you do what works though, and what works is that passiveness. keep the play in front of you...

dropping atari down a bit to toy teams would be fantastic sliding him on the outside of hawk. put hawk in coverage, switch zones... really, the team shouldn't be sitting back and playing neutral on aggression, when i think of the packers in all that i've seen (which is a lot. i watch around 60% of packers games only to rip on them at chicago residents who happen to be packers fans. like my younger brother). it's not that the players aren't aggressive, it's just i don't think that there's a need for a full formation change for the packers in order to get 'more pressure' you generate significant pressure with your front four. you just have to blitz hawk more (who two years ago racked up what? 8 sacks? he's certainly capable to shed blockers). throw in some misdirection. a few stunts. corner blitz. zone blitz. it'd be a great day.

United: "I actually went to the college I root for"
awfullyquiet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 02:49 PM    (permalink
neko4
All-NFLDC

neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

im just day dreaming. I would like to see us blitz more. we do good enough with 4, id really like to see 5 guys

Sig thanks to Bonekrusher
neko4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 12:36 PM    (permalink
GB12
Team Leader
Icon

GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

How 'bout that Lions defense.
Old 09-07-2008, 05:57 PM    (permalink
Maybe Next Year Millen2
Veteran

Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Maybe Next Year Millen2 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB12 View Post
How 'bout that Lions defense.

North can not be considered best defensive division because of the Lions. That performance today has to be the worst case of a team not being able to tackle in the history of the universe. A team full of blind grandma midgets with no legs and arthritis and alzheimers could have tackled better. Heck get Millen to actually play and we'd do better. Redding and Darby were invisible, and Lenon is just a terrible terrible Mike and he's been our starter for 3 years. How can Millen not judge linebackers. He's a former good LB in the NFL. I've never lost hope on a team in Week 1 but I think after that performance I just might have too. Hope they win but know they won't. And if Millen isn't fired, and I mean fired out of a cannon into the sun, then thats just not fair.
Maybe Next Year Millen2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 11:21 AM    (permalink
umphrey
Pro Bowler

umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.umphrey is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm not sure why the legion of Lions fans haven't burned down Millen's house carrying pitch forks and torches yet, while the Lions fans on the police force twiddle their thumbs and look at the sky.

Thanks to BK for the sig
umphrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 08:08 PM    (permalink
Sportsfan486
Pro Bowler

Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Sportsfan486 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by umphrey View Post
I'm not sure why the legion of Lions fans haven't burned down Millen's house carrying pitch forks and torches yet, while the Lions fans on the police force twiddle their thumbs and look at the sky.
I think it's because all of the Lions fans on the police force owned guns and thusly have shot themselves by now.

When being a fanboi goes too far.
Sportsfan486 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 03:22 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
Legend

Come back Tactica. I miss you. :(