Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > NFC North Division Forum

NFC North Division Forum Discuss the NFC North

Old 09-18-2007, 01:46 PM    (permalink
TacticaLion
Pro Bowler

TacticaLion hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.
Default Worst Offensive Division in Football?

3 of the 4 teams in this division (the Lions being the exception) have some of the worst offenses in the NFL. The Bears should've kept Jones and are starting Grossman with an average group of WRs. Not good. The Packers have Favre, who still has SOMETHING left, but hardly anything around him (aside from Driver). The Vikings have Tavaris Jackson with a below average group of WRs (Peterson is emerging into a great RB, though).

Honestly. If you add the Lions, then it can't be considered the worst. But, without the Lions, this is by far the worst offensive division in football.
Old 09-18-2007, 03:03 PM    (permalink
Twiddler
All-Pro

Twiddler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Twiddler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Twiddler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Twiddler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Twiddler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Twiddler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Twiddler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Twiddler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Twiddler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Twiddler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Twiddler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't even think that we have to look at all of the other division's offenses that seriously to come to this conclusion. We are just that bad on offense even if we make it up on defense. Oh well, there's nothing wrong with a good defense.
Old 09-18-2007, 03:06 PM    (permalink
Green Bay Scat
Pro Bowler

Green Bay Scat is a cocksman.Green Bay Scat is a cocksman.Green Bay Scat is a cocksman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twiddler View Post
I don't even think that we have to look at all of the other division's offenses that seriously to come to this conclusion. We are just that bad on offense even if we make it up on defense. Oh well, there's nothing wrong with a good defense.
ill take a defense that dominates and holds teams to 2 scores or less, and an offense that scores 2 scores or more
Green Bay Scat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 03:26 PM    (permalink
Twiddler
All-Pro

Twiddler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Twiddler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Twiddler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Twiddler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Twiddler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Twiddler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Twiddler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Twiddler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Twiddler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Twiddler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Twiddler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Bay Scat View Post
ill take a defense that dominates and holds teams to 2 scores or less, and an offense that scores 2 scores or more
Yeah, definitely. I mean being able to watch our team transform from a team who can score but can't stop anything to a team who now struggles on offense but is great(maybe) defensively is something that is more appreciable and has been worth it in my mind. Although it would be nice to also score a lot at the same time...
Old 09-18-2007, 04:12 PM    (permalink
TacticaLion
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Bay Scat View Post
It's a shame that these three teams don't have that. The one team that can hold an opposing offense to 2 scores or less can't put points on the board, and the others can't do either on a regular basis.

The Super Bowl was a perfect example of this, wasn't it? The "dominant" defense against the "dominant" offense? As long as the average defense can make a few stops, the game is usually theirs.
Old 09-18-2007, 04:45 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
The Professor (Hall of Famer)
Legend

bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm not sold that we should have kept Jones (though I know that's been your contention since the season started).

Regardless, yes, the offenses are terrible.

I want to see the Lions run the ball and chew up clock before I consider them an elite offense too. They remind me too much of the June Jones run-and-shoot offenses with the Atlanta Falcons (for you older folks out there).

Obviously it's Martz's contention to pass to set up the run, but in this case there is no run. They need Bell or Jones to at least pretend to be a decent running back or teams that can rush the passer and defense the pass (ie: Bears and Packers) are going to shut them down.

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.
bearsfan_51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 04:49 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
Legend

bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacticaLion View Post
The Super Bowl was a perfect example of this, wasn't it? The "dominant" defense against the "dominant" offense? As long as the average defense can make a few stops, the game is usually theirs.
Our defense was far from dominant by the time we reached the Superbowl. Too much attrition over the season really wore us down. Not saying we would have beat them at full strength, but we at least would have been able to run our defense more to our liking. The defense in the Superbowl was basically a cover 3 prevent, which the Colts exploited by simply running draws and screens to Addai all day long.

Old 09-18-2007, 05:28 PM    (permalink
TacticaLion
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearsfan_51 View Post
Our defense was far from dominant by the time we reached the Superbowl. Too much attrition over the season really wore us down. Not saying we would have beat them at full strength, but we at least would have been able to run our defense more to our liking. The defense in the Superbowl was basically a cover 3 prevent, which the Colts exploited by simply running draws and screens to Addai all day long.
I can agree with that... but, looking at the two strategies, I think I'd rather score points and have a D Unit good enough to make the occasional stop... rather than the opposite. I used to feel the opposite way, but have changed that thinking lately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearsfan_51
I want to see the Lions run the ball and chew up clock before I consider them an elite offense too. They remind me too much of the June Jones run-and-shoot offenses with the Atlanta Falcons (for you older folks out there).
I can agree with this too. Our offense is far, far, FAR from dominant. We can move the ball, at will, until we reach the red zone. Once there, we can't put it in with as much success. Settling for 3 every drive and allowing 7 just wont work.

I'm hoping a healthy Jones/Duckett will fix that, but I just don't know.
Old 09-18-2007, 11:18 PM    (permalink
Smokey Joe
All-Pro

Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I like how Matt Millen now since the Lions have won 2 games in a row...

If the Lions win 10 games this season and/or make the playoffs, I'll do anything a lion fan wants me to do concerning the message boards. For instance, make me wear a sig or make a post. Quote me on it if you'd like... but the Lions aren't gonna do **** except maybe be a spoiler team for some team actually in contention.

And speaking of worst offenses, why don't we talk about worst defenses? *cough* Detroit *cough*

Believe it or not, but a good defense has a better shot at shutting down or limiting a good offense then a team with a bad defense has of stopping just a mediocre offense.

^Thanks to Eaglez.Fan for the sweet sig!

Smokey Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 11:54 PM    (permalink
GB12
Team Leader
Icon

GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.GB12 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Say what you want, but the Lions offense doesn't scare me at all. Yeah it's better than the rest of the teams in the division, but that's not saying a whole lot.
Old 09-18-2007, 11:57 PM    (permalink
Turtlepower
All-Pro

Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The Vikings (oddly enough) did the best thing in this division by drafting Peterson to stabilize their running game. A team with a good defense needs a good running game to help with clock management and keep the game relatively low scoring. This is why I think it was a bad move to get rid of Jones without getting a good RB to help support Benson.

^Bad ass sig by fenikz^

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halsey View Post
I don't have to watch it to know it was not interesting.
Giants, ASU Sun Devils, Yankees
Turtlepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 12:05 AM    (permalink
Smokey Joe
All-Pro

Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Bad or not, getting rid of Jones was inevitable... The Bears aren't gonna spend all that money on a former 4th overall pick to let him split carries going into his 3rd season. Would it have been nice to keep Jones? Sure, but this isn't magical happy madden land.

But I do agree, someone better then Garrett "the Midget" Wolfe should have been brought in to help support him. I remember hearing rumbling of Chris Brown, and that would have been a good backup if you ask me.

Old 09-19-2007, 03:04 AM    (permalink
awfullyquiet
Miss NFLDC
All-Pro

awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.awfullyquiet is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

the other AP isn't THAT bad. assuming that he keeps his hands on the ball with the more touches he gets.

Smokey, i think that wolfe is fine as a third back. assuming that the bears o-line can produce. we haven't seen him in more than what? eight plays yet? you can't get into a groove like that.

United: "I actually went to the college I root for"
awfullyquiet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 12:05 PM    (permalink
TacticaLion
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokey Joe View Post
And speaking of worst offenses, why don't we talk about worst defenses? *cough* Detroit *cough*
I'm impressed with your skills of observation, but that was already done.

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/for...ad.php?t=12862

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokey Joe
I like how Matt Millen now since the Lions have won 2 games in a row...
I don't quite understand this one... but, if you're referring to my sig, please take a second and observe the sarcasm. I know the internet is a serious place, but not everything should be taken for face value.

I agree with drafting AD... but they need to make running the ball the gameplan, and not just an option. Tavaris struggled throughout the game, yet they still had him throwing the ball. I know Chester was injured, but, with a young QB, focus on running the ball to open up the passing game.
Old 09-19-2007, 12:12 PM    (permalink
SFbear
Veteran

SFbear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SFbear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SFbear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SFbear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SFbear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SFbear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SFbear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SFbear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SFbear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SFbear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SFbear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The only thing I miss about Thomas Jones is his pass blocking which our backs have been pretty terrible at so far. Jones would not have produced much more than Benson with the way the line has been run blocking.
SFbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 08:35 PM    (permalink
Smokey Joe
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by awfullyquiet View Post
the other AP isn't THAT bad. assuming that he keeps his hands on the ball with the more touches he gets.

Smokey, i think that wolfe is fine as a third back. assuming that the bears o-line can produce. we haven't seen him in more than what? eight plays yet? you can't get into a groove like that.
call me crazy, but I don't see a 5'7" 180 lb (and that's being generous with the weight) RB doing anything in the NFL...

Old 09-19-2007, 10:13 PM    (permalink
TacticaLion
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokey Joe View Post
call me crazy, but I don't see a 5'7" 180 lb (and that's being generous with the weight) RB doing anything in the NFL...
What about 5'7" 208?

Or, 5'9" 187?

Heart and talent can overcome a lack of size.
Old 09-19-2007, 10:27 PM    (permalink
neko4
All-NFLDC

neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Not only that, but being short is an advantage for RB's. If Wolfe puts on a bit more weight he could definitly be a good backup in the league for a long time. Also he should one day become an explosive return man

Sig thanks to Bonekrusher
neko4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 11:38 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
Legend

I'm glad you guys like Wolfe, I'll trade you him and a nickel for a charleston chew.

Old 09-24-2007, 10:16 AM    (permalink
Addict
All-NFLDC

Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearsfan_51 View Post
I'm glad you guys like Wolfe, I'll trade you him and a nickel for a charleston chew.
ur such a fanboy

Sig by Fenikz

I remember NFLDC
don't tell anyone, but Charlie Casserly is a dope fiend
Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 11:34 AM    (permalink
asmitty45
Veteran

asmitty45 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

NFC West is pretty bad, Cards Seahawks Niners and Rams? They are all bad teams with underacheiving offenses

fenikz

"Pride comes before the fall" - Mark Dantonio

35-21
asmitty45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 11:43 AM    (permalink
LionSmack
Veteran

LionSmack hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

NFC South with Falcons, Bucs, Panthers... Saints probably make up for it, but that's 3 out of 4 pretty bad offenses, even with the original quarterbacks.

NFC North is actually pretty good now, all we have to do is get the Vikes a QB and it would be 3 out of 4 good offenses... poor Bears... :D
LionSmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 10:16 PM    (permalink
neko4
All-NFLDC

neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
The Packers have Favre, who still has SOMETHING left, but hardly anything around him (aside from Driver).
Glad to see you were proven wrong.
Jennings is $$$$$$$

But this has gone from the worst offensive division to one of the best, but is now middle of the pack in defense. Mixed up year i guess, or signs of change. I hope its the latter

Old 11-09-2007, 10:36 PM    (permalink
All-NFLDC

619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.619 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

honestly i think favre has plenty of weapons around him. in my opinion the packers are stacked at receiver with donald driver, greg jennings and james jones.
619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 11:34 PM    (permalink
neko4
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by 619 View Post
honestly i think favre has plenty of weapons around him. in my opinion the packers are stacked at receiver with donald driver, greg jennings and james jones.
He wrote that before the season i believe, so its understandable