Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > The Locker Room > Off Topic

Off Topic Almost Anything Goes

Old 09-24-2007, 02:49 PM    (permalink
TimD
All-Pro

TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default March 26, 1997

Best Hockey Fight In NHL History

This could be posted in the Youtube Video thread or the NHL Discussion thread, but I decided to make a new thread for it. This game made me become a Detroit Redwings fan, and them winning the cup that year only solidified that. Many of you have probably seen it before, but for those who haven't, enjoy. (I have the game on tape, and I just recently found a highlight tape of the fights)

Detroit Redwings vs. Colorado Avalanche
-About one year after Lemieux cheap shotted Draper.
-Shanahan tackles Roy.
-Vernon fights Roy (goalie fight).
-McCarty fights Deadmarsh.
-McCarty fights Lemieux.
-McCarty scores in OT.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=pab978XyR3E

Last edited by TimD : 09-24-2007 at 02:55 PM.
TimD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 02:57 PM    (permalink
Nerv

Greatest hockey game ever. Im still a big Wings fan but I was absolutely obsessed with them back then. I remember this game was on the channel that you had to pay extra to get & showed a lot of local sports (dont remember what it use to be called, eventually turned into fox sports and became part of basic cable) so I didnt get to watch this game live. One of my buddies taped it though and basically had a party the next day so all of us could watch Lemieux get his dirty ass handed to him.
Old 09-24-2007, 04:55 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

That game will forever be remembered by me. Absolutely amazing and exciting game.

I only wish the Detroit - Colorado rivalry was half as intense today as it was in the late nineties, early '00's. Hockey needs that kind of extreme rivalry between two superpowers again.
Old 09-24-2007, 04:59 PM    (permalink
Moses
All-NFLDC

Moses could make a wolverine purr.Moses could make a wolverine purr.Moses could make a wolverine purr.Moses could make a wolverine purr.Moses could make a wolverine purr.Moses could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiomera View Post
That game will forever be remembered by me. Absolutely amazing and exciting game.

I only wish the Detroit - Colorado rivalry was half as intense today as it was in the late nineties, early '00's. Hockey needs that kind of extreme rivalry between two superpowers again.
There will never be a rivalry like that again under the current rules.
Moses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 05:02 PM    (permalink
PACKmanN
All-Pro

PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moses View Post
There will never be a rivalry like that again under the current rules.
did you forget the Buff vs Ottawa games they had last year?
Old 09-24-2007, 05:05 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Xiomera is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PACKmanN View Post
did you forget the Buff vs Ottawa games they had last year?
A couple games is not comparable to a decade of mutual hatred.
Old 09-24-2007, 05:06 PM    (permalink
Brodeur
Brother Mouzone
Legend

Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Nothing pleases me more than seeing the highlights to that game and even the series. I lost my tape that I had of that game and I will always enjoy Patrick Roy not succeeding.

RIP TheManInBlack
Brodeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 05:08 PM    (permalink
Xiomera
Hall of Famer
Legend

On the 10 year aniversery of this game back in March, ESPN had a detailed review of the game, with individual video clips of all of the fights and key moments of the game. Someone should look to see if it still exists on the site. It was cool.
Old 09-24-2007, 05:42 PM    (permalink
TimD
All-Pro

TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

ESPN article.

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2...neumann/070326

Quote:
Avalanche coach Marc Crawford, who reportedly elbowed Ward and a Detroit News columnist and tried to barge into the officials' dressing room after the game, saw things a bit differently.

"I think that team has no heart," Crawford was quoted in the Detroit Free Press. "Detroit had the opportunity to do that in our building, but they didn't. … I think they showed their true colors tonight. Everyone is gutless on that team, and I'd love to see them in the playoffs."

They did meet in the Western Conference finals, and this time the Red Wings won in six games. After postseason heartbreaks in 1994, '95 and '96, the Red Wings finally developed a swagger on March 26, 1997, one that would carry them to three championships in six seasons.
Patrick Roy after the fight.

Last edited by TimD : 09-24-2007 at 05:44 PM.
TimD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 10:13 PM    (permalink
RyanLeaf#1
All-Pro

RyanLeaf#1 is a cocksman.RyanLeaf#1 is a cocksman.RyanLeaf#1 is a cocksman.RyanLeaf#1 is a cocksman.RyanLeaf#1 is a cocksman.

The best hockey game for me was when Primeau scored the goal in like the 4th ot that was sick

Phillies 2007 NL East Champions & Back to Back MVP Award Winners.
Indianapolis Colts 13-3
Philadelphia Flyers 19-14-4 = 42 points
Philadelphia 76ers 14-18
Coach Bob Huggins 10-2
RyanLeaf#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 10:18 PM    (permalink
Canadian_kid16
All-Pro

Canadian_kid16 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Canadian_kid16 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Canadian_kid16 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Canadian_kid16 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Canadian_kid16 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Canadian_kid16 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Canadian_kid16 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Canadian_kid16 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Canadian_kid16 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Canadian_kid16 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Canadian_kid16 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't know who to cheer for on this game

on one hand, I hate Detriot (and yes its for the season reason I hatet he Patriots, they are too good)

and on the other, I despised Colorado then because Roy is a huge douchebag

meh, its a toss up

Proud fan of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers
Somewhat proud fan of the Toronto Blue Jays
Yes, a fan of the Toronto Maple Leafs as well
A fan of the USF Bulls
Canadian_kid16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 10:19 PM    (permalink
RyanLeaf#1
All-Pro

RyanLeaf#1 is a cocksman.RyanLeaf#1 is a cocksman.RyanLeaf#1 is a cocksman.RyanLeaf#1 is a cocksman.RyanLeaf#1 is a cocksman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian_kid16 View Post
I don't know who to cheer for on this game

on one hand, I hate Detriot (and yes its for the season reason I hatet he Patriots, they are too good)

and on the other, I despised Colorado then because Roy is a huge douchebag

meh, its a toss up
That shot on Lemieux was definitely cheap. Plus Keith Jones played for Colorado at the time so if they replayed it now with the same players. I would have to pull for my boy Jonesy

Phillies 2007 NL East Champions & Back to Back MVP Award Winners.
Indianapolis Colts 13-3
Philadelphia Flyers 19-14-4 = 42 points
Philadelphia 76ers 14-18
Coach Bob Huggins 10-2
RyanLeaf#1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 10:35 PM    (permalink
KILLERSANTA
Pro Bowler

KILLERSANTA hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Hockey hasn't folded over, yet? I give it 3 more years........
Old 09-24-2007, 10:37 PM    (permalink
WMD
Suck it Metsox
Legend

WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I will always ******* hate the Colorado Avalanche.
Old 09-24-2007, 10:41 PM    (permalink
WMD
Suck it Metsox
Legend

WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.WMD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

http://detroitsportssnobs.blogspot.c...ary-brawl.html

Nice little write up there.
Old 09-24-2007, 10:43 PM    (permalink
WMD
Suck it Metsox
Legend

To complete the WMD Posting Trifecta::

http://cgi.ebay.com/DETROIT-RED-WING...QQcmdZViewItem

Claude Lemieux is a piece of ****!!!
Old 09-24-2007, 10:44 PM    (permalink
TimD
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by KILLERSANTA View Post
Hockey hasn't folded over, yet? I give it 3 more years........
thanks for posting that... is it really necessary?
Old 09-24-2007, 10:47 PM    (permalink
EdReedUnstoppable
Hall of Famer
Icon

EdReedUnstoppable is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EdReedUnstoppable is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EdReedUnstoppable is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EdReedUnstoppable is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EdReedUnstoppable is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EdReedUnstoppable is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EdReedUnstoppable is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EdReedUnstoppable is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EdReedUnstoppable is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EdReedUnstoppable is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EdReedUnstoppable is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

GO CAPS GO!!!

BOO TO THE RED WINGS!!

Xbox Live - Kevown8999
EdReedUnstoppable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 10:48 PM    (permalink
WMD
Suck it Metsox
Legend

It's a disgrace seeing Darren McCarty in a Calgary Flames jersey.. He should've been a Red Wing for life!!
Old 09-24-2007, 10:52 PM    (permalink
EdReedUnstoppable
Hall of Famer
Icon

EdReedUnstoppable is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EdReedUnstoppable is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EdReedUnstoppable is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EdReedUnstoppable is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EdReedUnstoppable is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EdReedUnstoppable is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EdReedUnstoppable is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EdReedUnstoppable is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EdReedUnstoppable is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EdReedUnstoppable is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.EdReedUnstoppable is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Btw that article brought up something I have always thought.....Darren McCarty definitely kneed Lemiuex in the head when he took him to the boards during the jumping of Lemieux.

Xbox Live - Kevown8999
Old 09-24-2007, 10:55 PM    (permalink
KILLERSANTA
Pro Bowler

KILLERSANTA hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangini for pres View Post
thanks for posting that... is it really necessary?
You're Welcome...Do they even show hockey on T.V. anymore?
Old 09-24-2007, 10:58 PM    (permalink
Green Bay Scat
Pro Bowler

Green Bay Scat is a cocksman.Green Bay Scat is a cocksman.Green Bay Scat is a cocksman.

the game for me was the Penguins/Flyers 5OT(?) game, i remember tellin my mom(it started at like 6:30) that id go to bed after the game, next thing i know its 1 am lol
Green Bay Scat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 11:00 PM    (permalink
EdReedUnstoppable
Hall of Famer
Icon

http://youtube.com/watch?v=lUVBts1_K...elated&search=

I believe this is the next time the 2 met in Detroit, and it shows that McCarty is not as tough if he doesnt jump you.

Xbox Live - Kevown8999
Old 09-24-2007, 11:19 PM    (permalink
Michigan
Who wants to sex Mutombo?
Pro Bowler

Michigan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Michigan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Michigan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Michigan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Michigan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Michigan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Michigan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Michigan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Michigan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Michigan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Michigan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdReedUnstoppable View Post
http://youtube.com/watch?v=lUVBts1_K...elated&search=

I believe this is the next time the 2 met in Detroit, and it shows that McCarty is not as tough if he doesnt jump you.
I dont know about you, but I think McCarthy got the better of Lemieux in that fight. Lemieux got the better start but McCarthy got in much more punches as the fight went on. Lemieux finally had to take McCarthy down to the ice to get in better position for a punch or two until the refs finally broke it up.

Pretty funny that they went at it right after the puck-drop.

Last edited by Michigan : 09-24-2007 at 11:22 PM.
Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2007, 11:41 PM    (permalink
Nerv

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdReedUnstoppable View Post
Btw that article brought up something I have always thought.....Darren McCarty definitely kneed Lemiuex in the head when he took him to the boards during the jumping of Lemieux.
Good. never have i hated an athlete more than Lemieux, he went after Draper trying to seriously injure him by slamming his head into the boards from behind like that. I wish McCarty would have taken off his skate and stabbed him a couple times, but bashing his face off the ice and maybe kneeing him did the trick.

And njx, I actually got into a fight with a kid who wore an Aves sweater into school in the late '90s.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=cO1uhorF5LA

And other than Yzerman (of course) here is my favorite Wing of that area showing off some of his Sambo in a very nice hip check on Lemieux, war Vladinator

Last edited by Nerv : 09-24-2007 at 11:44 PM.