Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > The Locker Room > Off Topic

Off Topic Almost Anything Goes

Old 09-26-2007, 03:16 AM    (permalink
Namy
Veteran

Namy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Namy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Namy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Namy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Namy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Namy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Namy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Namy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Namy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Namy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Namy is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Duck season, you wrote some thoroughly written interesting posts. However, I cannot say that I agree with you completely.

It's easy to say that it's more worth while to venture into the business world without paying for college tuition and taking courses for 4 years, but starting a business requires HARD WORK and MONEY. You may not work for others, but you could end up working yourself to the ground. According to statistics on small businesses, a minimum of $50,000 is needed to start a sole proprietorship/partnership. That's not small cash. Not to mention, working for a corporation has advantages, especially when it comes to liability.

Also, college is not too much of a financial waste as you seem to connote if you simply apply for some financial aid and obtain some scholarship money. Many people, myself included, also have part time jobs and/or internships during their collegiate career, therefore along with education, students can still experience the "real world" of business.

Finally, correct me if I'm wrong, you seem to be talking about how college is a waste if you're trying to be an entrepreneur... which is somewhat understandable. Taking a class in entrepreneurship is pretty stupid if you ask me. However, other professions in my opinion will be much better off with degree in hand such as finance, law, architecture, engineering, etc.

Projected win total: 55+
Namy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 04:08 AM    (permalink
diabsoule
Icon

diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

This is what I've learned:

College is a Catch-22. Employers want you to have a college degree yet they also want experience and you can not get both. It's either one or the other.

College is more about networking than it is about learning in the classroom. The contacts and friends you make in college will become highly beneficial down the road. It is a time in your life that you build your communication and social skills, which will help you tremendously in the professional world.

Grades are important. I have graduated already and when I apply for a job the interviewer always asks me what my GPA was when I graduated. I graduated with a 2.5 and have been passed over by people whose GPA was higher than mine even though we had the same qualifications. It is because employers feel that the person who made the higher marks in college will help the company out more. Whether or not that is true is not up to me but it happens. Since grades are important so is studying. The two go hand in hand.

Make the acquaintance of your professors so that they will write you good recommendation letters. This is extremely beneficial in the professional world. I can not stress it enough.

One ply toilet paper is the toilet paper manufacturers idea of a joke.

When you go to a restaurant order more than you can eat so you can have two meals for one price. Eat as much free food as possible. Mexican restaurants are the best because you receiver free chips and salsa and then can take your meal home.

Campus activities are dumb and pointless.

The school newspaper is a propaganda rag for the university. Mine is at least.

Just because you are friend with someone does not mean you can live with them. I found this out the hard way.

Have an idea of what you want to major in before you come to college. Stick to your guns too when you get in college and complete your coursework for that major. History, English, Psychology, Political Science, Geography, and Sociology are worthless majors unless you either want to teach (if you do then do a concentration in Education) or if you want to get your master's.

I could go on for a long time.

Beastly sig by BoneKrusher

Super Bowl XLIV Champions
WHO DAT!

Check out my blog:
www.saturdaynightslant.com

Follow me on Twitter
http://twitter.com/#!/LaSportsDude

Last edited by diabsoule : 09-26-2007 at 04:34 AM.
diabsoule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 04:29 AM    (permalink
duckseason
All-Pro

duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Namy View Post
Duck season, you wrote some thoroughly written interesting posts. However, I cannot say that I agree with you completely.

It's easy to say that it's more worth while to venture into the business world without paying for college tuition and taking courses for 4 years, but starting a business requires HARD WORK and MONEY. You may not work for others, but you could end up working yourself to the ground. According to statistics on small businesses, a minimum of $50,000 is needed to start a sole proprietorship/partnership. That's not small cash. Not to mention, working for a corporation has advantages, especially when it comes to liability.
Keep in mind that time is far more valuable than money. The colossal investment of time that is required to get a worthwhile degree is a far greater sacrifice than anything monetary. Also, keep in mind that I am not speaking exclusively of starting a traditional business in place of attending college. That is but one of innumerable avenues one might take. The crux of my stance here is that you can feed your brain much more efficiently if you avoid the constrictive environment of conventional schooling. You cram too many plants into the same greenhouse and feed them light and nutrients from the exact same source, and not only will there be a low cap on growth potential, but you'll see a bunch of nearly identical plants. I believe that people would be wise to take great care in choosing the ideal environment where than can truly thrive. For some, that may be college. It all depends on your individual goals and perceptions. For me, the choice is obvious. Attending conventional school is a tremendous waste of time and effort that would actually impede my development. I attend 'school' daily. My learning process is perpetual. I don't need anybody to spoon-feed me what they think I ought to know. Not only do I already have access to that bowl of cereal they're holding, but I'm also perfectly capable choosing when and where to eat it and whether or not I want cow milk, yogurt, soy milk, or just some crunch. I can also choose to throw it in the trash without a second thought. But if it were the only form of sustenance sitting in front of me, I really wouldn't have much choice but to open wide.

Quote:
Also, college is not too much of a financial waste as you seem to connote if you simply apply for some financial aid and obtain some scholarship money. Many people, myself included, also have part time jobs and/or internships during their collegiate career, therefore along with education, students can still experience the "real world" of business.
I've addressed the whole financial thing above, but I will say that no matter who pays the tab for a $100 bowl of campbell's soup at a stuffy diner, it was wasteful. You can find that stuff for a buck at your local grocery store. I wouldn't ask a friend to fly me to France just so I could see what a vineyard looks like. Not when we have them right here in our backyard. Just think of all that time and effort that went toward keeping yourself afloat while vying with millions of others to see who's certificate would come out with more sparkles. What do most people have to show for it? A lifetime of working hard for that next raise? Being tied to the leash that most jobs come with? Spending 1/3 to 1/2 of each day in the same place day after day? And often times, extending that time by not being able to mentally escape? Like I said, most people are fighting tooth and nail to run into that rat-cage before the door slams shut. Little do they know, it'll never shut. It'll just always be clogged up with far too many people seeking entrance. All trying to get their turn at the spinning wheel that is a symbol of their future. Running as hard as they can in hopes that their efforts will bring them slightly greater rewards with each passing year. Sadly, most of these people will wear themselves out and soon grow tired of the monotony. They'll feel under appreciated and unhappy. They may even wake up one day and in a moment of clarity, look around themselves and ask where the years have gone and what they have to show for it. Most will wish they had more time to spend with their families and do the things they truly love. Most people will yearn for freedom more than anything else. But they still don't have it. Most people who take the employee route exclusively will never feel as though they have enough freedom. This is why I believe the best route to take in life is the one that most quickly leads to financial freedom. I believe that conventional schooling is an impedance on this path, more so than it is an expressway. Of all the roads I could take, College would be among the last I would consider.

Quote:
Finally, correct me if I'm wrong, you seem to be talking about how college is a waste if you're trying to be an entrepreneur... which is somewhat understandable. Taking a class in entrepreneurship is pretty stupid if you ask me. However, other professions in my opinion will be much better off with degree in hand such as finance, law, architecture, engineering, etc.
I agree. And I stated such. Many professions will require you to obtain credentials through conventional schooling. If you want to be a doctor, you better hit those books. And we need doctors. Call it being an entrepreneur or whatever you want, but it covers innumerable avenues. Once a person steps outside that box of rigidity, there are countless means that lead to the ends we all seek and need for survival. The people who find the path of least resistance are the ones who will naturally arrive most expeditiously. Which in my opinion, is what it's all about. I want to be happy. Take me there now. Running through a maze is not only unnecessary, but you'll often come out of it too dizzy to enjoy yourself.
Old 09-26-2007, 06:37 AM    (permalink
TitleTown088
All-NFLDC

TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I wasted $150,000 on an education you coulda got for a buck fifty in late charges at the public library - Will

Also, I learned to hate metrosexuals ...... more.

What do the vikings and marijuana have in common? Every time you put them in a bowl
they get smoked.

2010-2011 Super Bowl Champions
Hint:Not the Bears.
TitleTown088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 10:34 AM    (permalink
Moses
All-NFLDC

Moses could make a wolverine purr.Moses could make a wolverine purr.Moses could make a wolverine purr.Moses could make a wolverine purr.Moses could make a wolverine purr.Moses could make a wolverine purr.

You make some interesting THEORETICAL points duckseason, but I would love to see some of those put into practice.

What job have you managed to land without the aid of a college degree? What job/business are you hoping to open? How are you putting food on the table right now? Shelter over your head?

Same question goes to everybody else who believes college is a waste of time...
Moses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 11:01 AM    (permalink
alca1992
Veteran

alca1992 could make a wolverine purr.alca1992 could make a wolverine purr.alca1992 could make a wolverine purr.alca1992 could make a wolverine purr.alca1992 could make a wolverine purr.alca1992 could make a wolverine purr.alca1992 could make a wolverine purr.alca1992 could make a wolverine purr.alca1992 could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yodachu View Post
To close the blinds and lock the door while mastebading.
ha i learned that in 9th grade
Old 09-26-2007, 11:34 AM    (permalink
KILLERSANTA
Pro Bowler

KILLERSANTA hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addict View Post
oh and something else I learned in college: women have RIGHTS, who knew?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addict View Post
I don't know, they seemed normal enough at first, but... boy they were some crazy folks down there I tell ya. The women actually were allowed to teach, and they got to walk around without a ball and chain. Men actually LISTENED to them when they spoke too. Worst thing is, I can't be sure, but I'm faily sure I saw a woman DRIVING A CAR! Freaky stuff.
I'm calling BS....that can't be true......

__________________________________________________ ______

I learned...........fat women give better BJs than hot women........
Old 09-26-2007, 11:35 AM    (permalink
KILLERSANTA
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by alca1992 View Post
ha i learned that in 9th grade
I'm so proud of you, you're already mastebading on a college level. Good Job, sport.......
Old 09-26-2007, 12:56 PM    (permalink
Ward
Administrator
All-NFLDC

Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabsoule View Post
Just because you are friend with someone does not mean you can live with them. I found this out the hard way.

Have an idea of what you want to major in before you come to college. Stick to your guns too when you get in college and complete your coursework for that major. History, English, Psychology, Political Science, Geography, and Sociology are worthless majors unless you either want to teach (if you do then do a concentration in Education) or if you want to get your master's.
These are two interesting ones. The first one is dead on. And unfortunately, there's not a way to figure out wether you're going to be able to live with someone until you do, because things don't get bad (usually) until a month or two in when the honeymoon is over. My best year in college as far as roommates go was when I went with complete strangers. Those guys are still good friends of mine.

The whole discussion of majors and what they're worth is interesting to me. The more specific your major (Chemical Engineering, Aerospace Engineering, Math, etc.) the more money you can make coming out of college. If that is the point of you going to college, then forget about most liberal arts and history degrees as diabsoule suggests.
Ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 01:18 PM    (permalink
Addict
All-NFLDC

Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KILLERSANTA View Post
I learned...........fat women give better BJs than hot women........
it's the habit of putting large loads in their mouths that makes the difference.

Sig by Fenikz

I remember NFLDC
don't tell anyone, but Charlie Casserly is a dope fiend
Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 01:28 PM    (permalink
jriles0522
Veteran

jriles0522 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairjriles0522 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairjriles0522 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairjriles0522 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairjriles0522 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairjriles0522 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairjriles0522 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairjriles0522 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairjriles0522 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairjriles0522 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairjriles0522 is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hair

1) I dislike a lot of people
2) I can't make myself do an assignment/study until the last minute
3) I have to mess up a test in a class before I get the motivation to work in it.
4) Better to have a few close friends than a million acquaintances
5) Girls are all ***** until they need to get married.

sig by BoneKrusher
jriles0522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 03:20 PM    (permalink
alca1992
Veteran

alca1992 could make a wolverine purr.alca1992 could make a wolverine purr.alca1992 could make a wolverine purr.alca1992 could make a wolverine purr.alca1992 could make a wolverine purr.alca1992 could make a wolverine purr.alca1992 could make a wolverine purr.alca1992 could make a wolverine purr.alca1992 could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KILLERSANTA View Post
I'm so proud of you, you're already mastebading on a college level. Good Job, sport.......
ya im ahead of evreyone in my class
Old 09-26-2007, 03:51 PM    (permalink
LEGALIZE_THESHIZZLE

I smoke me alot of tha GANJA, with some black dudes wit rasta hair.
Old 09-26-2007, 04:03 PM    (permalink
Ward
Administrator
All-NFLDC

Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ward is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Legalize is now banned, forever. Carry on.
Ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 04:11 PM    (permalink
duckseason
All-Pro

duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moses View Post
You make some interesting THEORETICAL points duckseason, but I would love to see some of those put into practice.

What job have you managed to land without the aid of a college degree? What job/business are you hoping to open? How are you putting food on the table right now? Shelter over your head?

Well moses, everybody's situation is unique. I'll tell you right off the bat that having the label of felon stamped on my forehead is a far greater impedance to getting a decent job than not having a degree. I don't even have my HS diploma. So you're right, there really aren't any jobs available to me that are worth my time. Thankfully, I don't feel too bad about this.

I'm glad I'm not sitting in some HR department trying to show off my meaningless credentials and prove just how much more qualified a cog I am than the next person. After reading my previous posts here in this thread, you know that I'm not looking to land a job at all. I can't discuss how I am getting by without one right now, but I'm hoping I'll be able to soon. I can tell you that my long term goals involve investing and real estate, among other things. I've still got a lot to learn, and some hurdles to jump. Just like everybody else.

There are other ways of making money than just opening a business or being an employee of one. And not all business ventures require you to start out deep in the red. Especially in today's online world. Rather than do what everybody in those college classrooms is doing; you know, while reading from the exact same textbook and listening to the same professor drone on and on, it may be a better idea to turn around and do the exact opposite. Or at least think outside the box and come up with an idea based in the future rather than in the past.

You no longer need a commercial building to run a business. The possibilities are endless, really. I'm not an idea machine, and I'll keep any good ones I have to myself, but I'm sure everybody has a passion that's shared by many. Something they are good at, that they could make money off of with the right amount of thought and creativity. That's a starter business. Something with very little risk. Something you love doing anyway and you wouldn't be too upset if it failed to attract enough dollars. You come up with your own ideas. I'm sure we all have many if we'd just look in the right place.

In the meantime, I'd think it wise to study up on whatever skills one may think they'll need in the future to achieve their definition of success. The monitor in front of our faces is a great place to obtain a lot of that. So is the public library. That's really all it comes down to for me. My other posts explained the reasoning behind the assertion that college is a waste of time, depending on your goals and perceptions.

For me, it's a real simple equation. I don't want to work for somebody else. Therefore, there is no need to subject myself to a sub-par learning environment for the purpose of obtaining an HR impresser. There may be those who disagree with me about what constitutes an ideal learning environment, and that's fine. They can wake their asses up and be in their chair at the tick of another man's clock. They can pay with their time and money to be spoon fed the content of textbooks at the rhythm and rate of another man's scoop. They can enlist a professor to teach them about how to be successful in the business world. How many successful businessmen do we imagine decided to go teach college? Perhaps a small percentage. Most of them are just reading from a book.

A book that can be found in a library. A book that can be read at anytime and anyplace by anybody. A book that may be understood more clearly if the reader is in a comfortable environment without a bunch of distractions such as the girl two seats over who keeps checking him out or the kid behind him smacking his gum and tapping his pencil to the beat blaring from his ipod.

See, I'm not saying that learning is a waste of time. Quite the opposite. I'm advocating learning here. I'm just saying that I personally view conventional schooling as a horrible place to learn efficiently and effectively.
Old 09-26-2007, 05:39 PM    (permalink
alca1992
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ward View Post
Legalize is now banned, forever. Carry on.
yea thats good
Old 09-26-2007, 06:09 PM    (permalink
KILLERSANTA
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by alca1992 View Post
ya im ahead of evreyone in my class

I bet your mom and dad are so proud!
Old 09-26-2007, 06:20 PM    (permalink
Moses
All-NFLDC

Moses could make a wolverine purr.Moses could make a wolverine purr.Moses could make a wolverine purr.Moses could make a wolverine purr.Moses could make a wolverine purr.Moses could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckseason View Post
Well moses, everybody's situation is unique. I'll tell you right off the bat that having the label of felon stamped on my forehead is a far greater impedance to getting a decent job than not having a degree. I don't even have my HS diploma. So you're right, there really aren't any jobs available to me that are worth my time. Thankfully, I don't feel too bad about this.

I'm glad I'm not sitting in some HR department trying to show off my meaningless credentials and prove just how much more qualified a cog I am than the next person. After reading my previous posts here in this thread, you know that I'm not looking to land a job at all. I can't discuss how I am getting by without one right now, but I'm hoping I'll be able to soon. I can tell you that my long term goals involve investing and real estate, among other things. I've still got a lot to learn, and some hurdles to jump. Just like everybody else.

There are other ways of making money than just opening a business or being an employee of one. And not all business ventures require you to start out deep in the red. Especially in today's online world. Rather than do what everybody in those college classrooms is doing; you know, while reading from the exact same textbook and listening to the same professor drone on and on, it may be a better idea to turn around and do the exact opposite. Or at least think outside the box and come up with an idea based in the future rather than in the past.

You no longer need a commercial building to run a business. The possibilities are endless, really. I'm not an idea machine, and I'll keep any good ones I have to myself, but I'm sure everybody has a passion that's shared by many. Something they are good at, that they could make money off of with the right amount of thought and creativity. That's a starter business. Something with very little risk. Something you love doing anyway and you wouldn't be too upset if it failed to attract enough dollars. You come up with your own ideas. I'm sure we all have many if we'd just look in the right place.

In the meantime, I'd think it wise to study up on whatever skills one may think they'll need in the future to achieve their definition of success. The monitor in front of our faces is a great place to obtain a lot of that. So is the public library. That's really all it comes down to for me. My other posts explained the reasoning behind the assertion that college is a waste of time, depending on your goals and perceptions.

For me, it's a real simple equation. I don't want to work for somebody else. Therefore, there is no need to subject myself to a sub-par learning environment for the purpose of obtaining an HR impresser. There may be those who disagree with me about what constitutes an ideal learning environment, and that's fine. They can wake their asses up and be in their chair at the tick of another man's clock. They can pay with their time and money to be spoon fed the content of textbooks at the rhythm and rate of another man's scoop. They can enlist a professor to teach them about how to be successful in the business world. How many successful businessmen do we imagine decided to go teach college? Perhaps a small percentage. Most of them are just reading from a book.

A book that can be found in a library. A book that can be read at anytime and anyplace by anybody. A book that may be understood more clearly if the reader is in a comfortable environment without a bunch of distractions such as the girl two seats over who keeps checking him out or the kid behind him smacking his gum and tapping his pencil to the beat blaring from his ipod.

See, I'm not saying that learning is a waste of time. Quite the opposite. I'm advocating learning here. I'm just saying that I personally view conventional schooling as a horrible place to learn efficiently and effectively.
This is all well and good, but take these caveats in mind:

-Online businesses and businesses with low start-up costs require a huge amount of originality and ingenuity to have succeed. Why? Because EVERYBODY has access to starting one. Online ventures fail at a rate like no other. Plus, unless you have the technical expertise to start it yourself, you will have to incur some substantial costs.

-Capital is something that not many people have. In order to start investing in real estate, you need capital. There is no other way. Leverage all you want, but you still need something to start with. Plus, real estate investment is no cakewalk and there are significant risks involved. You make one bad deal and all of a sudden you can't pay rent. Hell, how are you going to put food on the table if all your money is tied up in real estate? You can't invest unless you have capital. I know very few people who have thousands of dollars lying around.

I'm not saying you can't start your own business or invest, or do whatever else to make a living. I'm just saying you're oversimplifying it and in many cases you would be better served to just get a job making $80,000/year doing something you love. Plus, you have medical coverage, pension, etc.

I would be very interested in knowing how you're planning to start investing in real estate unless you have some source of income that I'm not aware of.
Moses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 07:38 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabsoule View Post
History, English, Psychology, Political Science, Geography, and Sociology are worthless majors unless you either want to teach (if you do then do a concentration in Education) or if you want to get your master's.
I completely disagree. I am an English major and, from what I have experienced, companies at the career fairs are just as interested in liberal arts students as they are in people who's majors are in the business school. Maybe I am just seeing an exception to the rule? I don't know for sure but I am certain that your assumption about majors like History, English, Psychology, Political Science, Geography and Sociology, is entirely wrong. I have multiple friends majoring in Political Science and they are/will be doing internships and the state capitol and will be working for politicians, or the state, when they graduate. Basically, the point I am trying to make is there are numerous jobs out there besides teaching for those who major in the fields you listed, you just won't be earning upwards of $50 or $60 thousand+ in salary.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011

Last edited by Brent : 09-26-2007 at 07:41 PM.
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 08:39 PM    (permalink
diabsoule
Icon

diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
i usually respect your opinion and all, but that is a complete and utter load of crap. i majored in english and got a job almost immediately working in IT. there are literally untold numbers of consulting type/customer service jobs for people with liberal arts majors, assuming they actually want that kind of job in the first place.

the "business/engineering students are the only ones who get good jobs and all lib-arts majors are teachers" crap they feed you in college is completely crap.
You can get a job with a degree in one of those fields, but will you get a job that your degree is geared towards? I probably should have left off Political Science because I was tired when I wrote what I did and forgot about an internship and law school. I have a history degree and am working at a radio station. Does this job have anything at all to do with what I studied to get my degree? Not a damn thing.

I know some people just want a job, any job, when they graduate college but as far as I am concerned, and from what I have seen, it is damn hard getting a job in your field. That's all I wanted when I graduated and couldn't get one. Customer service/consulting jobs do not have anything anything to do with your field if you graduated with an English, History, Geography, or Sociology degree. It might have something to do with your field if you go a Psych degree.

Beastly sig by BoneKrusher

Super Bowl XLIV Champions
WHO DAT!

Check out my blog:
www.saturdaynightslant.com

Follow me on Twitter
http://twitter.com/#!/LaSportsDude
diabsoule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 09:07 PM    (permalink
duckseason
All-Pro

Quote:
This is all well and good, but take these caveats in mind:

-Online businesses and businesses with low start-up costs require a huge amount of originality and ingenuity to have succeed. Why? Because EVERYBODY has access to starting one. Online ventures fail at a rate like no other. Plus, unless you have the technical expertise to start it yourself, you will have to incur some substantial costs.

-Capital is something that not many people have. In order to start investing in real estate, you need capital. There is no other way. Leverage all you want, but you still need something to start with. Plus, real estate investment is no cakewalk and there are significant risks involved. You make one bad deal and all of a sudden you can't pay rent. Hell, how are you going to put food on the table if all your money is tied up in real estate? You can't invest unless you have capital. I know very few people who have thousands of dollars lying around.

I'm not saying you can't start your own business or invest, or do whatever else to make a living. I'm just saying you're oversimplifying it and in many cases you would be better served to just get a job making $80,000/year doing something you love. Plus, you have medical coverage, pension, etc.

I would be very interested in knowing how you're planning to start investing in real estate unless you have some source of income that I'm not aware of.
Well of course I'm simplifying things. I'm not an expert on anything, and I need to fit all my thoughts into a single post and not write a book here. Acting like getting a diploma and an $80,000 a year job is easy or desirable is an oversimplification as well. You're ignoring a lot of the points I made, and trying to pin me down as having my eyes on a single road. That's not the case. I'm an advocate of keeping your options open. Online businesses, real estate and investing are but a few of innumerable avenues that could potentially lead to cap-less income.

I stated that my long term goals involve real estate and investing. I didn't say that I would certainly dive into either of those pools, or that I had the capital to become seriously involved right away. I just know that there is a lot of money to be made, and those are both great options for those who wish to become wealthy. For anyone to go through life ignoring the world of investing would seem quite foolish. It's just a no-brainer to me that there is a ton of money to be made, and I'd rather take a few calculated risks and give myself a shot at making serious money rather than allowing a bank to make serious money off that same pile. It's my money. I'll put it to work for me, and nobody else. Money should be everybody's #1 employee.

But like I said, I still have a lot to learn and other hurdles to jump before I can really get all into that with much depth. Like many people, I'm still building my foundation. I can't start with the attic and move down. The point I'm making in this thread is that the stronger your foundation, the taller your building will be able to grow without collapsing. I don't want there to be a limit on my growth potential. I'm not saying that attending college will surely put a hard cap on a person's growth, just that it usually inhibits the majority from venturing very far beyond their respective major and chosen profession, if at all. They've invested too heavily in something with far too narrow a focus.

There are exceptions to be found for sure, just like with anything else. I'm only speaking in generalizations. My other posts better illustrate how I feel about this. I have no problem with those who choose to go the conventional route and get a specialized degree and subsequently enter into a career that they will likely reside in for the majority of the remainder of their life. Most people value safety and security over anything else. Nothing wrong with that. But my goal is to become financially free someday. Meaning I don't want to be tied to anything like a puppet on a string. I don't want to be dependent on a single fluctuating industry and correlating job market. I don't want to forever experience the monotony of showing up at the same place everyday so I can generate far more income for somebody else than I will ever see enter my own pocket.

In other words, I don't want to be a sucker. I'd rather fail at whatever it is that's in my future and know that I at least gave myself a shot. The thought of busting my ass so another man can enjoy the finer things makes me gag. Just dump some lead in my chest and let's get it over with. I'm more than confident in my abilities to play this game. There's no reason to give up and act like wealth is unattainable. No reason to donate a lifetime's worth of hard work to the people who look at college grads as worker bees. At least not in exchange for what they're offering. Which is really just a slightly more comfortable lifestyle than that of a welfare recipient. At least for most people. Difference being that the welfare recipient collected the check without breaking his back.

The guy with the $75,000 a year job has a bigger box to live in, a nicer car, eats out more often, and just has nicer things overall. But he's just as broke as the next man. Generally speaking, of course. He's tied to that paycheck and doesn't know the first thing about proper money management or how to generate income other than through his profession. He's stuck. He's reached his cap. Switching careers will often mean a pay cut. And he spent so much time in his younger years working so hard to get that degree, that his foundation is hardly stronger than that piece of paper.

That's the story of the average person. It's the truth. Most of them are in debt and don't even know the difference between a true asset and a true liability. Just cogs who have little control over where the train is going. Which is why I insist on engineering my own damn train. Sure I might run it off a cliff, but at least I had fun pulling on that horn while it lasted. And who knows, I might just arrive at my destination safe and sound. And this all isn't to say that a college graduate who works in a given profession is unable to take the bull by the horns and unleash themselves from the noose dangling around their neck at any given time.

Again, my main point here is simply that I believe conventional schooling to be an inadequate method of enriching oneself. What one chooses to do instead is another matter. Though I believe everybody would be wise to study up on and practice effective money management skills. The collective ignorance surrounding money is the primary hindrance that keeps most people either in debt or out of options. Financial fundamentals should be integrated into the curriculum of every elementary school in North America. It is by far the most important tool that everybody should be armed with from day 1.

Instead, the majority is taught from day one all the things they need to know in order to be a worker bee. We're taught to be obedient and strive for good grades in basic subjects that we may or may not need to have a fundamental understanding of in order to get along in the employee world. We're conditioned to impress others to the point that we are chosen over them for the highest paying jobs. That is the goal and path laid out in school. In a nutshell, we're taught to please and work for others rather than ourselves. Perhaps things have changed, but I don't recall being taught how to manage money. Don't recall this most critical subject being touched on even once. And most advice I did hear throughout my childhood turned out to be mostly half-truths spoken by people who didn't know any better than I at the time.

I realize I'm mostly reiterating what I've already said. Maybe I feel as though some key points have been missed. Maybe I just get carried away and type every thought as it enters my brain. The concerns you stated above are valid, and I realize that nothing will come easy at first. But I'd still rather invest my time and effort into building a system that will generate income from numerous sources without my presence being needed. The goal here is to eventually be completely financially free. Meaning I generate enough passive income to outweigh the expenses of living the lifestyle of my choosing. I feel as though anybody can accomplish this with enough determination and intelligence. But direction is the key.

Go to college, get a degree and a nice paying job. Nothing wrong with that at all. But I'd hope that a person would keep their options open and continue to work towards financial freedom, if that is what they desire. The ultimate goal is to avoid having to work for somebody else. Which is why it doesn't make a lot of sense to me to invest so heavily in entrenching oneself in that type of situation. To me, a job should be temporary. Spending 4 or more years just preparing for one career seems like an enormous waste of time and money that could have been spent on learning how to become financially free.
Old 09-26-2007, 09:40 PM    (permalink
SubNoize
Veteran

SubNoize is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SubNoize is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SubNoize is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SubNoize is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SubNoize is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SubNoize is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SubNoize is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SubNoize is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SubNoize is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SubNoize is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SubNoize is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

Well nobody really answered your question, so I'll go. My whole life I was force fed that without a college degree that I would have to earn less. Of course, people also preached hard work in high school to get into a better university. I did fairly well in High School with as much minimal work as possible. I self taught frequently via reading and television and never did homework. I would show up, drone out and ace tests to earn my grades. I graduated high school with absolutely no intention of going to college. Instead I decided to hit the work force immediatley. I spent countless hours my first 2 years working meaningless jobs and living paycheck to paycheck. I then decided that I was going to place myself in a field that had good earning potential and that would allow me to progress quickly. I ended up getting hired at Alltel Wireless as a sales representative. I quickly observed the other employees just go through motions and spend too much time doing nothing. I on the other hand took easy steps such as flyering to businesses with "specials" via email, and just talking to people outside of the job casually about who I was and what I did. Within 2 months I was promoted to Manager. I was already making 60,000 salary 2 years out of high school with no degree. I continued to work smarter and not harder and was again promoted to Area manager earning 100,000 a year. I was then able to invest my money into creating a car detailing business that came out to your home. With the people in my area being so lazy as to not mowing their own lawn, my venture exploded earning me an extra 70,000 a year after covering all overhead. I kept my Alltel job, I did a minimal amount of work yet again, but worked smart by teaching my area what I once had done and was promoted to area president. I now make 250,000 thousand because my stores do amazingly by working less and earning more.I was able to cut out 80,000 worth of mass advertising and was able to completely guerilla market for less than half the cost. I still have my detailing business which i was able to expand and that now makes me about 150,000 a year. Do the math that's 400,000 a year, no college education and I'm freshly 22 years old. Life is all about how bad you want it, and what avenues you take to get there. I decided to work less, but cover more ground and it payed off in only 4 years of leaving high school.
SubNoize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 09:43 PM    (permalink
themaninblack
All-Pro

themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.themaninblack is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

the one thing I've learned a month into college: i was born for this ****.

^A Bonekrusher production^
Gamertag= ELDUDERINO1165
themaninblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 10:10 PM    (permalink
DChess
All-Pro

DChess is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DChess is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DChess is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DChess is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DChess is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DChess is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DChess is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DChess is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DChess is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DChess is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DChess is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

one thing i learned in college is that everybody lies, same with the internet.
DChess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2007, 10:11 PM    (permalink
KILLERSANTA
Pro Bowler

Wow, you guys write too much...........