Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > The Locker Room > Off Topic

Off Topic Almost Anything Goes

Old 10-05-2007, 04:05 PM    (permalink
Paranoidmoonduck
Team Leader
All-Pro

Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravens1991 View Post
I see, I think when I go to college I will go to the doorms so I have a bunch of people who are in the same situation it may be easier.
Most people I talk to hate the size of dorm rooms but love the environment. Just get out and make friends, and you should be fine.
Old 10-05-2007, 04:09 PM    (permalink
Ravens1991
Team Leader
Icon

Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

yea my sisters doorm is small, college seems fun I will be fine I just get real nervous.
Old 10-05-2007, 04:11 PM    (permalink
Paranoidmoonduck
Team Leader
All-Pro

Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paranoidmoonduck is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
yea my sisters doorm is small, college seems fun I will be fine I just get real nervous.
Remember that almost everyone around you also just left home and is probably nervous as hell too. Be friendly, be social, and you'll get comfortable real quick.
Old 10-05-2007, 04:49 PM    (permalink
duckseason
All-Pro

duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.duckseason is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drowe View Post
To say college is overrated, not necessary or a waste of time is just a wonderful combination of na´ve and ignorant.
Quote:
Originally Posted by drowe View Post
3-once you get your first job, everything you did in college becomes virtually irrelevant. all potential employers are going to be looking much more closely at your work experience than what you did/studied in college. I have absolutely been on interviews where the interviewer never even ASKED what i majored in (no longer listed on resume...only the fact that i have a BA).
Insisting that those who view attending college as a waste of time are naive and ignorant, is naive and ignorant in itself. College isn't for everybody. Not everybody feels an urgent need to sacrifice a large chunk of their life working towards a piece of paper that will allow them to be prejudged positively rather than negatively by people whose opinions they value far less than their own. Some people don't place a very high value on artificially impressing others. Some people do. Some people believe that enriching oneself should be something you do primarily for yourself, for your own benefit. Others believe that enriching oneself is necessary in order to impress others and in turn enrich them, while benefiting themselves in the process. Some people feel the need to physically attend a designated learning center in order to actually learn. Others are aware that learning is perpetual and would rather utilize as many avenues as possible and avoid being chained to one place for an extended period of time. A place of which they may or may not feel is the best learning environment for themselves, as they often walked in and signed up without yet knowing this vital information. Some people think that the only way to earn a living is by being an employee. Others believe that being an employee should be a stepping stone to success or a last resort to survival. The bottom line is that different people have different goals and values. Not everybody sees things through the same lenses. It's not an ignorant mind that realizes whether or not college is a waste of time is dependent on the potential student's goals and perceptions.
Old 10-05-2007, 05:54 PM    (permalink
Vikes99ej
Icon

Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vikes99ej is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
How did everyone adjust going from home to college, is it a tough transition?
Not at all. I just miss my dog.
Vikes99ej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 11:58 PM    (permalink
draftguru151
:/
Legend

draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.draftguru151 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikes99ej View Post
Not at all. I just miss my dog.
Both times I've come home the first thing I did was play with my dog. Definitely the thing I miss most from home.

Adjusting wasn't that hard, it's just really different. I'm really glad I'm in an apartment and have my own room and I'm not living in a dorm. Dealing with money is a ***** and there really isn't much to motivate you other than yourself.

<Gaius_Baltar> That is correct comahan
<vidae> I ******* LOVE YOU DG
<njx9> <3 dg
draftguru151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2007, 03:36 PM    (permalink
andyjo672
Veteran

andyjo672 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.andyjo672 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.andyjo672 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.andyjo672 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.andyjo672 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.andyjo672 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.andyjo672 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.andyjo672 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.andyjo672 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.andyjo672 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.andyjo672 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9 View Post
what the hell are you talking about? it clearly states, in that quote, that there is NO LEGAL REQUIREMENT for an accountant to be certified by a professional organization. how is this difficult to understand? NO JOB IN MY SEARCH SUGGESTS A CERTIFICATION IS REQUIRED. again, how is this difficult to understand? you don't even have ONE leg in this argument, as you've provided absolutely no evidence that such a thing is required and are simply arguing because you think they require it. i'm done arguing this until you actually provide some vague degree of proof, either in the form of jobs that actually list as a true requirement, being certified, or a law that suggests it's a requirement. without that, you are clearly, at this point, wrong.

Certainly there is no requirement to be certified to be hired as an accountant, but to work for one of the big 4 (Deloitte, KPMG, Price Waterhouse, or Ernst and Young) or any company that does public accounting and auditing, you NEED to have your CPA or your work doesn't really count for anything.

After the crackdown of Sarbanes Oxeley, a fall out predominantly after the scandals at companies like Enron and Tyco at the beginning of the decade, the regulations became far more strict and watched over. You wont be able to sign off on any work and thus you become no good to them, and wont be hired. My schools business school had a cool program if you were a selected accounting major in which you went to school for 5 years, half of a semester would be spent at one of the Big 4 as an intern, and the other half as a TA for intro accounting classes. At the end you graduated with a Masters of Accountancy and they basically have so many tutoring classes and required classes that every one has passed their CPA exams by the time they're done (everyone moves onto a job at one of the big 4 after). Those that dont get into this special program have ZERO chance of getting hired at one of the big 4 auditing firms and are mainly hired on as staff accountants at an industry job where they basically work in AP, AR, or other specifics to accounting departments. Obviously, these jobs are far less prestigious and pay far less than those that are CPA's and one could make the argument that they aren't really accountants but more book keepers as someone put it. But yeah, good luck auditing when the regulations of sarbanes requires you to be a Certified public accountant to be able to sign off on public financial statements.
andyjo672 is offline   Reply With Quote