Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Chicago Bears Team Forum

Chicago Bears Team Forum Discuss Ditka and Da Bears

Old 10-07-2007, 11:36 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
The Professor (Hall of Famer)
Legend

bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default I don't love Benson either but.....

I'm not so sure that we made the "wrong" decision by letting Jones go like everyone in the media keeps saying.

Jones has 290 yards with a 3.3 avg with no touchdowns. Their receptions stats are similar and I haven't had a problem with Benson's pass blocking.

It would seem if anything that both players benefitted greatly by playing with each other. Jones was never as good before Benson, and he hasn't been as good after.

Given the fact that they couldn't coexist any longer, Jones had threatened to hold out, and he only had one year left on his contract anyway, why the hell wouldn't they trade him?

Clearly Benson hasn't lived up to the billing of a top 5 pick, but trading Jones has nothing to do with that.

What we need to do, I think, is either get AP/Wolfe more involved in the offense, or find a better complimentary back to Benson that will take the pressure off of him to be the whole running game. He might not ever be what we want him to be, but that doesn't make him useless.

Then again the media was saying we should put Grossman back in after they said how terrible he was for 2 years so what do they know?

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.
bearsfan_51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 12:29 AM    (permalink
k0ng
Rookie

k0ng could make a wolverine purr.k0ng could make a wolverine purr.k0ng could make a wolverine purr.k0ng could make a wolverine purr.k0ng could make a wolverine purr.k0ng could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearsfan_51 View Post
I'm not so sure that we made the "wrong" decision by letting Jones go like everyone in the media keeps saying.

Jones has 290 yards with a 3.3 avg with no touchdowns. Their receptions stats are similar and I haven't had a problem with Benson's pass blocking.

It would seem if anything that both players benefitted greatly by playing with each other. Jones was never as good before Benson, and he hasn't been as good after.

Given the fact that they couldn't coexist any longer, Jones had threatened to hold out, and he only had one year left on his contract anyway, why the hell wouldn't they trade him?

Clearly Benson hasn't lived up to the billing of a top 5 pick, but trading Jones has nothing to do with that.

What we need to do, I think, is either get AP/Wolfe more involved in the offense, or find a better complimentary back to Benson that will take the pressure off of him to be the whole running game. He might not ever be what we want him to be, but that doesn't make him useless.

Then again the media was saying we should put Grossman back in after they said how terrible he was for 2 years so what do they know?
I was a firm believer in Benson, but after what they said in the game(about him and Jones not getting along) and the way he carries himself on the field, I'm really starting to dislike the guy. He talked all this ish all over the radio and in interviews about how he needs 25 carries a game, need to be the workhorse, the guy, blah blah blah. Then, tonight, carry after carry he looks like he is barely trying. On top of it he barely pulls his sorry ass up AND then takes himself out of the game. He also got that 25th carry tonight and looked like he was absolutely worn down. He will never be a featured back. They need to work Wolfe in more or start thinking about drafting a RB on the first day.
k0ng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 01:03 AM    (permalink
SFbear
Veteran

SFbear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SFbear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SFbear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SFbear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SFbear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SFbear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SFbear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SFbear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SFbear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SFbear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SFbear is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I wonder if he gets benched or we bring someone else in, whether he'll blame it on "politics".
SFbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 11:25 AM    (permalink
BUSTKUNTLAWL
Veteran

BUSTKUNTLAWL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BUSTKUNTLAWL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BUSTKUNTLAWL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BUSTKUNTLAWL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BUSTKUNTLAWL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BUSTKUNTLAWL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BUSTKUNTLAWL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BUSTKUNTLAWL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BUSTKUNTLAWL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BUSTKUNTLAWL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BUSTKUNTLAWL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by k0ng View Post
I was a firm believer in Benson, but after what they said in the game(about him and Jones not getting along) and the way he carries himself on the field, I'm really starting to dislike the guy. He talked all this ish all over the radio and in interviews about how he needs 25 carries a game, need to be the workhorse, the guy, blah blah blah. Then, tonight, carry after carry he looks like he is barely trying. On top of it he barely pulls his sorry ass up AND then takes himself out of the game. He also got that 25th carry tonight and looked like he was absolutely worn down. He will never be a featured back. They need to work Wolfe in more or start thinking about drafting a RB on the first day.
Thomas Jones punched him in the face last year.

It wasn't just Benson's fault they didn't get along.
Old 10-08-2007, 11:26 AM    (permalink
Race for the Heisman
Veteran

Race for the Heisman is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairRace for the Heisman is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairRace for the Heisman is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairRace for the Heisman is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairRace for the Heisman is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairRace for the Heisman is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairRace for the Heisman is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairRace for the Heisman is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairRace for the Heisman is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairRace for the Heisman is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairRace for the Heisman is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hair

I think the general lack of o-line play (which was okay last night) and his running style are hurting him. If Benson has a hole, count on him for 6 because he'll just plow through it. Other, shiftier runners, however, might be able to conform with a shifting opportunity (read: hole), but Benson doesn't, and only gets two or three where a different back might get three or four. What I mean is that while he can take contact in terms of the physical abuse, it isn't especially conducive to his running style. I guess you could say that makes him not so good, or he really needs to make adjustments. Kind of late for that I suppose.
Race for the Heisman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 11:29 AM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
Legend

bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Exactly. Benson is what he is, but that doesn't mean he can't be a productive asset for this team. I'm just not sure that running him up the middle 25-30 times a game is the way to do that.

Old 10-08-2007, 12:08 PM    (permalink
k0ng
Rookie

k0ng could make a wolverine purr.k0ng could make a wolverine purr.k0ng could make a wolverine purr.k0ng could make a wolverine purr.k0ng could make a wolverine purr.k0ng could make a wolverine purr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSTKUNTLAWL View Post
Thomas Jones punched him in the face last year.

It wasn't just Benson's fault they didn't get along.
Yea, I'm sure Benson had nothing to do with it. TJ doesn't seem like the type of guy that goes around clockin people.
Old 10-08-2007, 01:10 PM    (permalink
dabears10
All-Pro

dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Exactly. Benson is what he is, but that doesn't mean he can't be a productive asset for this team. I'm just not sure that running him up the middle 25-30 times a game is the way to do that.
Yeah his best two runs of the night were that toss to the right in the 4th and that stretch play for the TD. Variation in run calls would be real nice.

Thanks to BoneKrusher Credit and Rep to him for the sig.

dabears10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 01:22 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by k0ng View Post
Yea, I'm sure Benson had nothing to do with it. TJ doesn't seem like the type of guy that goes around clockin people.
Based on what? Have you ever read Jones' public comments? I've always thought he came off like an asshole.

That doesn't excuse Benson's diva attitude or heightened sense of self-important, but I'm tired of people acting like Jones is totally guilt free in this. He tried to turn the team against Benson from the get-go.

Old 10-08-2007, 05:09 PM    (permalink
BUSTKUNTLAWL
Veteran

BUSTKUNTLAWL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BUSTKUNTLAWL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BUSTKUNTLAWL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BUSTKUNTLAWL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BUSTKUNTLAWL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BUSTKUNTLAWL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BUSTKUNTLAWL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BUSTKUNTLAWL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BUSTKUNTLAWL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BUSTKUNTLAWL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.BUSTKUNTLAWL is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Based on what? Have you ever read Jones' public comments? I've always thought he came off like an asshole.

That doesn't excuse Benson's diva attitude or heightened sense of self-important, but I'm tired of people acting like Jones is totally guilt free in this. He tried to turn the team against Benson from the get-go.
Exactly my impression of Jones & my take on the situation.
Old 10-08-2007, 07:58 PM    (permalink
Smokey Joe
All-Pro

Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Hey, Benson perhaps threw the game winning block on a blitz last night. Benson doesn't block the guy, Griese gets sacked, which means no TD to Clark. And if that happened who know what the result would have been.

^Thanks to Eaglez.Fan for the sweet sig!

Smokey Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2007, 10:06 PM    (permalink
k0ng
Rookie

Quote:

Well, I guess I never thought about it like that before. I'd just would prefer to still have them both. They could have been a great duo.

I know it's only been five games and the o-line is absolute garbage, so I haven't given up on Benson yet. The guy definitely has the talent to be a good back. He just needs to adjust his mentality.