Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Dallas Cowboys Team Forum

Dallas Cowboys Team Forum Discuss America's Team - How 'bout dem Cowboys!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-15-2007, 11:42 PM    (permalink
Paul
All-NFLDC
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Dallas
Posts: 11,647
Reputation: 1352556
Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

I really don't get the Bradie James hate. He's been one of the stalwarts for our D this year. I really do want to hear what the critics have to say about him, because in all honesty I do not see it. I watch the games and I'm see him making plays behind the line, laying the wood on RB, leading the team in tackles and doing everything you want from ILB aside from a few deficiencies in coverage. And all of sudden he is inadequate. And now accusations of homerism just because we defend him? Accusations made by the same guy who alluded to Carpenter being a mediocre athlete because of his race? It's absurd. So please without using words like "overhyped" and "overrated", which I find funny because if you ask anyone foreign to the cowboys team section to name 5 players from the cowboys D, Bradie probably wouldn't be on it, to critique his play this year.
Paul is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 09:07 AM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Arlington, TX
Posts: 20,784
Reputation: 1970937
LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burns336 View Post
Pretty sure you just over-hyped him...

This board is so homer infested.

We just got our butts handed to us at home. Our defense couldnt stop the pats for the life of us. The secondary looked pathetic, which is the same problem we had last year.

We've played all losers this year and this was the first real team.

Time to see how we bounce back from a tough loss, and time to see how we play more real teams after the bye.

ummm, I wouldnt use this game vs the Pats as a measuring stick for our secondary, Stallworth is a #1 wr on 90% of teams in the NFL, and Wes Welker is as good of a #3 as you will get anywhere, and we were short a corner....our team played solid, when we needed stops we couldnt when our D got tired, but I think you guys are taking this the wrong way...


did you expect Reeves to stop Stallworth man to man with Brady throwing the ball with time? I dont think anyone should of been expecting that, fact is, we probably have the best team in the NFC, and have enough talent to make the super bowl, once we get there, we just need to be better then the other team that day...If we had our players I can see us beating NE, but Im not expecting a miracle to happen
__________________





Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 12:18 PM    (permalink
fryman
Rookie
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 497
Reputation: 114
fryman hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.
Default

I got a chance to see the Bears scouting report of the Cowboys after that game, and man I wish I could share it with you guys. Lets just say for James they were pretty much praising him this year. Bradie improved his pass coverage by dropping the weight, and lost nothing against the run. He was beastly against the Bills.

Spears has continued to be great against the run, and is getting better pressure this year, not consistent still but it is better. We have been getting good push up front, its just we don't have a guy in the front three that is more than good at pass rushing. None of our linemen are consistent rushing yet.

This team is very much set up to stop the run first. It is a VERY physical defense. Personally I think if we can get Henry and Newman on the field together it solves most of our pass protection problems. Most of the games this year they haven't been able to run the scheme they were planning on going into the year because of them being injured. Reeves played pretty good that game really, but there is no way you can expect Jones to cover any of those three WR.

People need to hold off on trying to gage the defense, until they have a chance to actually run their scheme.
fryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 12:38 PM    (permalink
Burns336
Pro Bowler
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: San Diego
Posts: 3,273
Reputation: -45692
Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thule View Post
If Burnett could stay healthy maybe...just maybe he would have a chance at starting of Ayodele. They both play the WILB position. But Burnett is seemingly dinged up every week. Hard to work that into a lineup.

I don't get all the Raliff hate...or moving back to DE....he is really showing his colors our there and being disruptive. Everyone was worried about us getting ran on...guess what it hasn't happened. Lets give this up already.

As much as Koiser is our weakest link on our OL...we have a top 10 OL in the NFL and I highly doubt we would start a guy who has no experience in place of a vet who is doing an average job as a blocker.
Im not hating on ratliff, I Just want him back at DE because I think pressure from the edges will open up lanes for the linebackers to make plays. Right now we're not getting the type of pressure that we potentially could get. That's why I hope tank can equal Ratliffs production so that they can both be on the field at the same time.

Kosier is a woman though, I really seriously question his signing. I bet we could of retained Allen for around the same, if not a bit more than Kosier. He loved the boys and loved to play. I dont care if people say he had diminishing skills, he was no where near as big of a liability as kosier.
Burns336 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 12:44 PM    (permalink
DMWSackMachine
The Truth
Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,781
Reputation: 35211
DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

I love how if you don't completely vilify and tear down a player who isn't a Pro Bowler, then you are a homer. That is a universal thing with a certain archetype of poster on every board that I have ever been to. They paint themselves as "realists" who are the only one with the objectivity to call out under-performing players that are "overrated", but in reality, they are just looking to make names for themselves by picking out a player (and, really, the specific player is beside the point) and calling him out so that they can back up their claims of objectivity.

These types of posters are everywhere, on every board I have ever seen. And, in my ever-so-humble opinion, they are the ones that need to be called out.

Edit: that's not to say that players don't deserve to be called out. I'm just as willing as anyone to acknowledge how bad Roy has been in coverage over the last two years, and I am plenty disappointed in Spears lack of development as an interior pass rusher to date. But I think everyone knows what I'm saying and who I'm talking about primarily.
__________________
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 21ST View Post
He was protecting his self
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjsunstein View Post
From what? His leg?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoidmoonduck View Post
That leg has had it out for him since day 1.
"We're the quiet guys, the guys before the storm. And then we hit you."

DeMarcus Ware

Last edited by DMWSackMachine : 10-16-2007 at 12:50 PM.
DMWSackMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 12:45 PM    (permalink
Burns336
Pro Bowler
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: San Diego
Posts: 3,273
Reputation: -45692
Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
I really don't get the Bradie James hate. He's been one of the stalwarts for our D this year. I really do want to hear what the critics have to say about him, because in all honesty I do not see it. I watch the games and I'm see him making plays behind the line, laying the wood on RB, leading the team in tackles and doing everything you want from ILB aside from a few deficiencies in coverage. And all of sudden he is inadequate. And now accusations of homerism just because we defend him? Accusations made by the same guy who alluded to Carpenter being a mediocre athlete because of his race? It's absurd. So please without using words like "overhyped" and "overrated", which I find funny because if you ask anyone foreign to the cowboys team section to name 5 players from the cowboys D, Bradie probably wouldn't be on it, to critique his play this year.

OK here it is, James can play the run and.... James can play.... Um.... The run? Thats the problem. He is one demensional, as is Akin. Give me a complete ILB who can make plays and take away the middle of the field. Roy williams, Akin Ayodele, and Bradie James all bring great run stopping ability. Thats great, but it also doesnt get us off the field on 3rd down against the pats. They also dont get as good of pressure as someone like Burnett.

And by the way, if you disagree with my assessment of African Americans being far superior Athletes to white's, you are letting political correctness blind you. Look at every sport and see who the majority of the best players are. The reason I brought that up was to prove a point that carpenter has peaked athletically. Someone like Manny Lawson still has alot of potential to tap into. Plus i dont really care if you disagree, you can try and turn it into some racist bull, which it isnt, it's just the truth.
Burns336 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 12:50 PM    (permalink
Burns336
Pro Bowler
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: San Diego
Posts: 3,273
Reputation: -45692
Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMWSackMachine View Post
I love how if you don't completely vilify and tear down a player who isn't a Pro Bowler, then you are a homer. That is a universal thing with a certain archetype of poster on every board that I have ever been to. They paint themselves as "realists" who are the only one with the objectivity to call out under-performing players that are "overrated", but in reality, they are just looking to make names for themselves by picking out a player (and, really, the specific player is beside the point) and calling him out so that they can back up their claims of objectivity.

These types of posters are everywhere, on every board I have ever seen. And, in my ever-so-humble opinion, they are the ones that need to be called out.

Exactly what I would expect a homer to do, turn the tide, switch it up a little, and throw it back on me. Whatever, I've got my opinions and I know alot of people agree with me. I get PM's telling me to keep it up from fellow cowboy fans who dont want to speak out on the board. Im not trying to make a name for myself, Im trying to ground the unwarranted optimisim on this board.

edit: for the record this is the first and only board I've ever been a part of and Ive kept the same views and critical analysis style that I use now. I dont care about board rep and stupid **** like that, I love the cowboys and Im here to talk cowboys. Im putting out opinions that alot of people dont agree with, but so what? How lame would this board be if one person expressed something and everyone came on and said "yes, I agree"

I bring a different perspective to the board and in no way can my views be proven wrong (at least not yet). Maybe ill tone it down and swallow some pride when someone can prove to me that I am wrong. On carp, you're gonna have to wait until he starts. On James, He is what he is -- a run stopper. Prove me wrong and ill except it.

Last edited by Burns336 : 10-16-2007 at 01:10 PM.
Burns336 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 12:52 PM    (permalink
DMWSackMachine
The Truth
Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,781
Reputation: 35211
DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

Sure, I agree with that, but there are exceptions. Otherwise, how would you explain Brian Urlacher being the best AND most athletic ILB in the game? Or the same for Tony G from 99-04 as a TE? Carpenter is still the best combination of size, speed and natural football ability of all the pure-LBs on the team.
__________________
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 21ST View Post
He was protecting his self
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjsunstein View Post
From what? His leg?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoidmoonduck View Post
That leg has had it out for him since day 1.
"We're the quiet guys, the guys before the storm. And then we hit you."

DeMarcus Ware
DMWSackMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 12:58 PM    (permalink
Burns336
Pro Bowler
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: San Diego
Posts: 3,273
Reputation: -45692
Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMWSackMachine View Post
Sure, I agree with that, but there are exceptions. Otherwise, how would you explain Brian Urlacher being the best AND most athletic ILB in the game? Or the same for Tony G from 99-04 as a TE? Carpenter is still the best combination of size, speed and natural football ability of all the pure-LBs on the team.
Those guy's are exceptions to the rule, but yes they are great players. I see where you are going with this, but come on DMW, we know carp isn't of that caliber, at least I do. Like I've said before, you guy's can keep telling me that he's well rounded and the best blend and blah blah, but i just dont see it. I understand that everyone on here loves him and wants him to pan out, believe me I wish he and Burnett would provide an upgrade over our ILB's. If carp could translate all of things you guys say he is onto the field, he and Burnett would be awesome. But just because he has all of that stuff doesnt mean it will happen.

Marcus spears is my example. Great physical gifts and a highly touted coming out, but he just can't translate that onto the field. I dont know if it's too much pressure for these guys or what, but I just see carp following in Spears steps.

Edit: not to mention Spears has had a starting position since he has been on the team, Imagine the sort of pressure and insecurities that must flow through carps head. A first round draft pick who was bounced back and forth numerous times and now sits 4th on the depth chart? He's more than likely going to suffer from the Joey Harrington syndrome (I suck now that I'm going to try so hard and put so much pressure on myself that I actually end up sucking more than I ever imagined)

At this point I just dont see him making great strides with the way his opportunities have already been stunted.

Last edited by Burns336 : 10-16-2007 at 01:03 PM.
Burns336 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 01:11 PM    (permalink
DMWSackMachine
The Truth
Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,781
Reputation: 35211
DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

Uh, last I checked Marcus Spears was dominating the line of scrimmage against the run, so I don't know what that's supposed to mean, unless it's solely referring to his lack of dynamic pass-rush ability, which is a valid point, but does not qualify as "can't translate to the field".

And while Carpenter is not in the elite class of Urlacher, Hawk, or a young Dan Morgan, he is certainly in the next tier down. This is an example of what I'm talking about. Carpenter is a good young prospect who just hasn't gotten the necessary PT to develop. We saw toward the end of last season how he responded when he got regular game reps at a single position, and his instincts and natural ability began to show. Whether that means future success here or not is unclear. However, it also counters the assertion that he is a bust or that he does not have the physical ability necessary.

Plus, my trump card in this situation is Bill Parcells. To me, his track record as a talent evaluator is irrefutable, and he went out of his way--for a guy that was always grudging with his praise--to point out Carpenter's excellent physical tools. Combine that with my own personal observations, and there is plenty to support my belief in his ability.
__________________
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 21ST View Post
He was protecting his self
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjsunstein View Post
From what? His leg?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoidmoonduck View Post
That leg has had it out for him since day 1.
"We're the quiet guys, the guys before the storm. And then we hit you."

DeMarcus Ware
DMWSackMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 03:54 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Arlington, TX
Posts: 20,784
Reputation: 1970937
LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

I wish the "homer" tag wouldnt be thrown around so much, its so overused its not even funny, Ive seen James make alot of plays this year and last week, with that being said Burnett is super talented and Id love for him to see the field more...Im jus going to have to have faith in Wade Phillips knowing which lbers are the best to have on the field, he knows what we have and who we need in there to make the defense work the best...

My only gripe is us not establishing the runnings game early on, obviously our offense comes out cold, but it hasnt rung a bell maybe we should run the damn ball and get the offense moving, then air it out, but if we get behind even one score we feel like we have to throw almost every down...the strength of our O line is run blocking, and all its going to do is open up passing lanes downfield
__________________





Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 05:02 PM    (permalink
Paul
All-NFLDC
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Dallas
Posts: 11,647
Reputation: 1352556
Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Paul is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burns336 View Post
OK here it is, James can play the run and.... James can play.... Um.... The run? Thats the problem. He is one demensional, as is Akin. Give me a complete ILB who can make plays and take away the middle of the field. Roy williams, Akin Ayodele, and Bradie James all bring great run stopping ability. Thats great, but it also doesnt get us off the field on 3rd down against the pats. They also dont get as good of pressure as someone like Burnett.
First I would point out, I am defending James alone, not Akin or Roy here. But the last time I check one of the key components in a great defense is the ability to stop the run, and Bradie, with the exception of ware, has been the main constant in our Run D. Though he is mediocre in the coverage aspect, that does not outweigh the other things he does. And now all of a sudden you want him yanked completely, despite his play on 1st and 2nd downs. Because that of course would be the most logical thing to do. Let's take out the defensive captain and our leading tackler, and put in the a guy who can't seem to stay healthy. Please, if that is your argument then don't even waste your time.

And also I was driving the Burnett Bandwagon this preseason, when he was tearing it up. So if he was to slide his way at WILB as Thule suggested then I'm all for that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burns336 View Post
And by the way, if you disagree with my assessment of African Americans being far superior Athletes to white's, you are letting political correctness blind you. Look at every sport and see who the majority of the best players are. The reason I brought that up was to prove a point that carpenter has peaked athletically. Someone like Manny Lawson still has alot of potential to tap into. Plus i dont really care if you disagree, you can try and turn it into some racist bull, which it isnt, it's just the truth.
First off, political correctness has never concerned me on this forum, what concerned me from that debate was that you were handily getting owned by Fryman and company, and in a obvious last ditch effort you pulled out the "white man can't jump" card. And yes in recent history, African-American athletes has grown to be the predominant faces in alot of sports, but that does not make your argument anymore valid in the context of that debate.
Paul is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2007, 09:15 PM    (permalink
Burns336
Pro Bowler
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: San Diego
Posts: 3,273
Reputation: -45692
Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
First I would point out, I am defending James alone, not Akin or Roy here. But the last time I check one of the key components in a great defense is the ability to stop the run, and Bradie, with the exception of ware, has been the main constant in our Run D. Though he is mediocre in the coverage aspect, that does not outweigh the other things he does. And now all of a sudden you want him yanked completely, despite his play on 1st and 2nd downs. Because that of course would be the most logical thing to do. Let's take out the defensive captain and our leading tackler, and put in the a guy who can't seem to stay healthy. Please, if that is your argument then don't even waste your time.

And also I was driving the Burnett Bandwagon this preseason, when he was tearing it up. So if he was to slide his way at WILB as Thule suggested then I'm all for that.



First off, political correctness has never concerned me on this forum, what concerned me from that debate was that you were handily getting owned by Fryman and company, and in a obvious last ditch effort you pulled out the "white man can't jump" card. And yes in recent history, African-American athletes has grown to be the predominant faces in alot of sports, but that does not make your argument anymore valid in the context of that debate.

I wasn't getting owned at all. I know you guys would all love to believe everything you write on here is correct, but the fact remains that carp hasn't done ****. Like i said, if he ever does, ill throw you a bone, but until then, dont expect anything out of me and stop pretending that all of your guys future predictions about what he may someday turn into (given a miracle) are correct.

Second, I started the Burnett Bandwagon. I built the wagon. go back through the threads if you want, but I was the first one to call for Burnett. In fact, I called burnett a young donnie edwards and was crucified for it. I know all of you remember this, so dont act like it isnt true.

As for James, I believe Burnett could stop the run as well as he can, but provide excellant LB coverage and a pass rush dynamic that James does not have. The same argument can be used for Burnett starting in front of Akin. The reason he doesnt start comes down to MONEY. If you dont buy that, then stop talking to me because you are blind. Burnett has been healthy the past month and he still hasn't been given an opportunity to do anything outside of the nickle/Dime (rover roy) packages.


I stick with my white man cant jump argument. Carpenter looks like a bafoon on the field.

Im done arguing about carp, all I have to say is SHOW ME. when he shows he can be anything more than a back up, ill admit to everyone that I was an idiot or whatever you guys want me to do. But i can tell you now that its not going to happen. Hes a bust. Just wait on it.

DMW, to respond to your marcus spears comments... come on. Seriously? Do you want to argue with me so badly that you are actually going to try and form an argument in favor of Marcus Spears? Good luck with that. Fact is, Canty/Hatcher/Ratliff are all better players than he is but once again it come down to MONEY. He's a first round pick. You cannot honestly tell me that his average-above average (nothing near special) run stopping skills make him a non bust. If you are going to tell me that if Carp matches what Spears has done, than he shouldn't be considered a bust, I will have to disagree. Spears is a bust and at this time next year all of you will find out about carp. 3 year rule is still in place here im assuming?
Burns336 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 03:00 AM    (permalink
Burns336
Pro Bowler
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: San Diego
Posts: 3,273
Reputation: -45692
Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thule View Post
Hamlin was the reason that Moss was held in check. He had sole over the top coverage no matter what side Moss was on. So if you look at it like that it seems alright. The only noticeable coverage problem when he was exploited was the first play of the game. I noticed he jumped the PA when Moss got called for Offensive PI but noone will really know if he was suppose to have over the top help or if he was just reacting to the throw.

Hamlin is also one of the best one on one coverage safeties in the nfl. He really has the ability to slide down and cover a WR one on one. The only problem with that is that we can't really lose it because it would require playing a cover 0 with Roy as the other safety.

I dont know thule, obviously its hard to tell on tv because you dont see the "game film" version.

The write up on blogging the boys for the safeties was written up as this...

S – Roy Williams was involved in a couple of busted coverages. The most notable was on Moss’ first TD. Moss lined up outside and ran an ‘in’ deep in the endzone, the other receiver ran crossed under Moss and ran an out to the edge of the endzone. Roy jumped the out and followed while Newman passed off Moss to the inside expecting Roy to drop back into the lane. Two Cowboys on one receiver and Moss wide-open meant an easy TD. From the look of the play and the reaction from Hamlin and Newman afterward, it looked like Roy blew the coverage, but I can’t be positive. He had great coverage on Ben Watson on one play but an unbelievably accurate pass from Brady was able to slip the ball in for a catch. Watson beat Roy on another play and depending on whether he or Burnett was responsible for Kyle Brady’s TD, he might have been involved in two TD’s given up. On the plus side, he had a great blitz and hit on Brady for an incomplete pass. Ken Hamlin was biting on play-fakes and losing his zone all night. He was beat on the first play when they ran the fake end-around but luckily Brady overthrew the ball. On Welker’s first TD, he tried to jump the route and left Nate Jones alone who had outside coverage while Hamlin was supposed to provide the inside coverage. Easy pitch-and-catch for a TD. He also bit on the play-fake on Stallworth’s long TD. A bad night for Hamlin. Pat Watkins had a bogus pass interference penalty called on him but I didn’t see him do much else, but he was in on five tackles. Maybe he had the best game out of all of these guys.

I dont know.. he had a pretty nasty write up on our corners as well....
Burns336 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 03:12 AM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Grand Forks, ND
Posts: 12,000
Reputation: 243071
thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

I would agree that Hamlin was out of place on those three plays...but they had the ball what...80 plays on offense in this game and moss was held to 5 catches. I'm not saying Hamlin was perfect but I am saying he played a good game. One thing that really hurts everyone outside of the organization is that we truly can't see what hamlin is doing unless he is on the screen. So while these are pointed out and shown over and over again...we don't get to see the goods. Hamlin is aggressive and he will bite on the occasional playfake...but when Welker has ran 8 yard hooks all day you can't really blame hamlin for jumping the route...if it would have been a hook Hamlin would have been a great ball hawk right? LOL I don't know but with the media now a days you just have to judge everything from an outside perspective.
__________________

Designs by me
Quote:
[00:37] <toonster> i mean, i can talk dirty
thule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 03:15 AM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Grand Forks, ND
Posts: 12,000
Reputation: 243071
thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

For the record Burns...I was into Phillips whole 46/3-4 scheme before it was even really a thought here. I claimed that Burnett may have a roll on this team and could service as our Edwards first. To tell you the truth I really could care less and play the I blah blah blah...but I also don't think you can take credit for something that was all over the boards before TC's and Minicamps even started.

Now while I came out and said Burnett could be our edwards I also came out and said that this scheme was going to benefit Ayodele the most. Now that doesn't look to be the case...and I can't put a finger on it. He has a good pass rusher...good speed for his size...yet he doesn't affect a game from a tv viewers perspective. Maybe it is the talent on our defense that overshadows him...but for a scheme that is really set to fit his style of play I expected more out of him.
__________________

Designs by me
Quote:
[00:37] <toonster> i mean, i can talk dirty
thule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 07:04 AM    (permalink
MaddHatter
Rookie
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Plano
Posts: 222
Reputation: 102
MaddHatter hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thule View Post
I would agree that Hamlin was out of place on those three plays...but they had the ball what...80 plays on offense in this game and moss was held to 5 catches. I'm not saying Hamlin was perfect but I am saying he played a good game. One thing that really hurts everyone outside of the organization is that we truly can't see what hamlin is doing unless he is on the screen. So while these are pointed out and shown over and over again...we don't get to see the goods. Hamlin is aggressive and he will bite on the occasional playfake...but when Welker has ran 8 yard hooks all day you can't really blame hamlin for jumping the route...if it would have been a hook Hamlin would have been a great ball hawk right? LOL I don't know but with the media now a days you just have to judge everything from an outside perspective.
I get that, but unless you go play by play with the game film, you really don't know how many bad plays he had or how many times he was out of position. What we do know is that he gave up 2 TD's and didn't have a pick.... Granted it was Tom Brady, but you should know better then to bite on the run-fake and give up the deep ball like he did numerous times
__________________

Mad props to Houshyamomma on FF.com

Last edited by MaddHatter : 10-17-2007 at 07:07 AM.
MaddHatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 12:04 PM    (permalink
DMWSackMachine
The Truth
Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,781
Reputation: 35211
DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

Hamlin jumped the route on Welkers long TD, and again on Stallworth's. Both times he was playing on the strong side, and both times he moved up into the seam and let the reciever by him.

The first time it looked 100% like he was trying to anticipate the pass. The second I don't know whether it was that, or whether he was in Cover 3 and was supposed to take that zone. Either way, he failed to make the proper read. Still, I don't think he was that bad. He played a big role in keeping Moss in check.


As for you, Burns, you are just proving my point. You have no idea what you're talking about, and yet you presume to think that you have answers and that the coaching staff, who has made a profession out of evaluating and improving players is clueless. That is the type of "make a name for myself" arrogance that I'm talking about.

I like Burnett just fine. He has looked good, but for you to speak with such a forked tongue makes me laugh. On one hand, you say that Spears in ONLY playing because of money and his status as a 1st round pick......but then why isn't Carpenter starting? Hmmmm? Riddle me that? Because of ALL THIS MONEY we game Akin or Bradie? Let me tell you, Akin is paid like an average veteran LB starter. Bradie isn't that far ahead of him. If that was the case, we would have played Peerless Price above Patrick Crayton, Fabini over Colombo, Carpenter over Singleton, Rogers over Pettiti, and the big one HENSON OVER ROMO. Get a clue, dude.

Spears is playing and starting because he is doing a good job. Burnett and Carpenter are not because they haven't done enough to warrant it.
__________________
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 21ST View Post
He was protecting his self
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjsunstein View Post
From what? His leg?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoidmoonduck View Post
That leg has had it out for him since day 1.
"We're the quiet guys, the guys before the storm. And then we hit you."

DeMarcus Ware
DMWSackMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 12:47 PM    (permalink
Burns336
Pro Bowler
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: San Diego
Posts: 3,273
Reputation: -45692
Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMWSackMachine View Post
Hamlin jumped the route on Welkers long TD, and again on Stallworth's. Both times he was playing on the strong side, and both times he moved up into the seam and let the reciever by him.

The first time it looked 100% like he was trying to anticipate the pass. The second I don't know whether it was that, or whether he was in Cover 3 and was supposed to take that zone. Either way, he failed to make the proper read. Still, I don't think he was that bad. He played a big role in keeping Moss in check.


As for you, Burns, you are just proving my point. You have no idea what you're talking about, and yet you presume to think that you have answers and that the coaching staff, who has made a profession out of evaluating and improving players is clueless. That is the type of "make a name for myself" arrogance that I'm talking about.

I like Burnett just fine. He has looked good, but for you to speak with such a forked tongue makes me laugh. On one hand, you say that Spears in ONLY playing because of money and his status as a 1st round pick......but then why isn't Carpenter starting? Hmmmm? Riddle me that? Because of ALL THIS MONEY we game Akin or Bradie? Let me tell you, Akin is paid like an average veteran LB starter. Bradie isn't that far ahead of him. If that was the case, we would have played Peerless Price above Patrick Crayton, Fabini over Colombo, Carpenter over Singleton, Rogers over Pettiti, and the big one HENSON OVER ROMO. Get a clue, dude.

Spears is playing and starting because he is doing a good job. Burnett and Carpenter are not because they haven't done enough to warrant it.
I disagree. I believe alot of it has to do with Jerry not wanting to replace guys he gave big contracts to. By benching akin or bradie he is saying "I messed up" and that is something he wont do. As for carp not playing even though spears is, given they were both 1st rounders, I would say Carp was a pure BP pick that Jerry wanted nothing to do with and Wade wants nothing to do with. Another reason I think spears got the nod is because it was thought that this defense would play to his skill set and he would flourish. Obviously this isn't the case, spears still sucks but what options do we have right now? We cant plug ratliff in because he has to man the NT spot. Maybe when Tank comes in we will see spears moved to the bench where he should be.

Edit: and look DMW, plenty of people agree with how I feel about James, Akin, Spears, and Carp. Its an opinion. Don't know how many times I have to say this. Either way, you sure act like you know a hell of alot. What makes you different from me? You've got more green boxes under your name? Grow up... Just because you come on here and try to belittle people doesnt mean that you know anything. All you do is come on these boards, make statements that cannot be refuted such as "This guy is starting, therefore he is better" and then try to rip other people down. I know just as much as you about this game and about this team, I have different thoughts on how it should be run. DEAL WITH IT. or you could do what you normally do which is hop on dictionary.com, find some big words to use, make sure your grammer is all good, and try to rip me down. The same thing you always do, its not hard to see.

Im here to give my opinion, I could care less how I give it, but Im going to give it and Im confident that I will be proven right. Only time can tell.

Last edited by Burns336 : 10-17-2007 at 12:56 PM.
Burns336 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 12:49 PM    (permalink
Burns336
Pro Bowler
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: San Diego
Posts: 3,273
Reputation: -45692
Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thule View Post
For the record Burns...I was into Phillips whole 46/3-4 scheme before it was even really a thought here. I claimed that Burnett may have a roll on this team and could service as our Edwards first. To tell you the truth I really could care less and play the I blah blah blah...but I also don't think you can take credit for something that was all over the boards before TC's and Minicamps even started.

Now while I came out and said Burnett could be our edwards I also came out and said that this scheme was going to benefit Ayodele the most. Now that doesn't look to be the case...and I can't put a finger on it. He has a good pass rusher...good speed for his size...yet he doesn't affect a game from a tv viewers perspective. Maybe it is the talent on our defense that overshadows him...but for a scheme that is really set to fit his style of play I expected more out of him.
Thule, I called for Burnett first and called him Donnie edwards first and was heavily criticized. Say what you will, but I know everyone remembers this. Either way its not a big deal, both of us had the same idea and I still think it is what needs to happen
Burns336 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 01:36 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 60,479
Reputation: 2297261
D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burns336 View Post
Thule, I called for Burnett first and called him Donnie edwards first and was heavily criticized. Say what you will, but I know everyone remembers this. Either way its not a big deal, both of us had the same idea and I still think it is what needs to happen
Nobody remembers you saying that. I said it first. LMAO. This game is so silly.
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 02:26 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Arlington, TX
Posts: 20,784
Reputation: 1970937
LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
Nobody remembers you saying that. I said it first. LMAO. This game is so silly.
Really, its quite childish...are we really arguing over who said they like Burnett first?? He's a good player, I think most can agree with that, its obviously not worth arguing over who started the bandwagon, or who called for him to start first...its getting pretty ridiculous around here


Boy I cant wait to see how crazy we all get over the next loss, if we finish 12-4 it will probably be good enough for a #1 seed, as long as we work on our weaknesses along the way, Im fine...Having good players on the bench isnt always a bad thing either, I just hope over the course of the season the players playing the best get the chances to get on the field
__________________





Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 04:02 PM    (permalink
thule
Team Leader
All-NFLDC
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Grand Forks, ND
Posts: 12,000
Reputation: 243071
thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burns336 View Post
Thule, I called for Burnett first and called him Donnie edwards first and was heavily criticized. Say what you will, but I know everyone remembers this. Either way its not a big deal, both of us had the same idea and I still think it is what needs to happen
Ok...you called it first.

All I know is that when Phillips was hired I had already researched his defense. I knew that is was a 46 defense not a 3-4 defense. I understood the one gap scheme and is philopsophies of running his defense to stop from the inside out. Something that BBD and I talked about quite a bit. He seemed to think we would be vunerable in the middle I told him that the lack of beef in the middle wasn't a huge problem because our backers were assigned certain gaps.

I can't recall one person coming in with knowledge of the defense and saying anything outside of Wade likes big corners. Outside of that noone really knew what to expect right away.

Burns on a side note both me and you and go cowboys worked a forum mock...and I think we kept the Burnett role how it currently is. I just don't get all this bickering from you...you should be better.
__________________

Designs by me
Quote:
[00:37] <toonster> i mean, i can talk dirty
thule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 05:45 PM    (permalink
DMWSackMachine
The Truth
Veteran
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,781
Reputation: 35211
DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burns336 View Post
I disagree. I believe alot of it has to do with Jerry not wanting to replace guys he gave big contracts to. By benching akin or bradie he is saying "I messed up" and that is something he wont do. As for carp not playing even though spears is, given they were both 1st rounders, I would say Carp was a pure BP pick that Jerry wanted nothing to do with and Wade wants nothing to do with. Another reason I think spears got the nod is because it was thought that this defense would play to his skill set and he would flourish. Obviously this isn't the case, spears still sucks but what options do we have right now? We cant plug ratliff in because he has to man the NT spot. Maybe when Tank comes in we will see spears moved to the bench where he should be.

Edit: and look DMW, plenty of people agree with how I feel about James, Akin, Spears, and Carp. Its an opinion. Don't know how many times I have to say this. Either way, you sure act like you know a hell of alot. What makes you different from me? You've got more green boxes under your name? Grow up... Just because you come on here and try to belittle people doesnt mean that you know anything. All you do is come on these boards, make statements that cannot be refuted such as "This guy is starting, therefore he is better" and then try to rip other people down. I know just as much as you about this game and about this team, I have different thoughts on how it should be run. DEAL WITH IT. or you could do what you normally do which is hop on dictionary.com, find some big words to use, make sure your grammer is all good, and try to rip me down. The same thing you always do, its not hard to see.

Im here to give my opinion, I could care less how I give it, but Im going to give it and Im confident that I will be proven right. Only time can tell.
I'm not going to go down that road, so I will just say this:

I try to stay away from the whole "mad scientist" line of thinking where someone with my relatively minuscule information base tries to somehow out-think and out-coach people that have 100x the training and 100x the resources to make the judgment. Isn't that a little ridiculous?

You have nothing to back up your statements besides, well this is what I think. Spears is playing the majority of the snaps at strong-side DE in a 3-4, the second most important position on the team for stopping the run. If he were a "bust" like you term him, we would not be anywhere near the top of the league vs the run, which we are, and there would be tons of busted assignments leading to big runs. Add to that all my personal observations from watching each of the games multiple times via the miracle of Tivo, and I have a fairly robust amount of proof on which to base my opinion. Spears is playing well, and getting better each game. THEN combine that all with the quietly positive comments coming out of Valley Ranch about him, and there is nothing else to conclude but that he is playing well.

Now, if you want to complain that he isn't the superstar that you hoped for, or that he has been a disappointment considering what was expected of him coming out of college, then I would still agree. Just because he hasn't shown any dynamic pass rush ability to compliment his impressive play against the run. Still, he is starting caliber, and just because you want a target that will allow you to demonstrate your piercing eye for talent and overall football acumen doesn't mean he deserves your criticism.

I don't make a habit out of defending players just because they are on the Cowboys team. When they deserve to be called out, I'm fine with that, but I have a problem with people trying to be the first to bag on a player to show how smart they are. Call me funny, but that gets on my nerves.
__________________
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by 21ST View Post
He was protecting his self
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjsunstein View Post
From what? His leg?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoidmoonduck View Post
That leg has had it out for him since day 1.
"We're the quiet guys, the guys before the storm. And then we hit you."

DeMarcus Ware
DMWSackMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2007, 08:18 PM    (permalink
Burns336
Pro Bowler
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: San Diego
Posts: 3,273
Reputation: -45692
Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thule View Post
Ok...you called it first.

All I know is that when Phillips was hired I had already researched his defense. I knew that is was a 46 defense not a 3-4 defense. I understood the one gap scheme and is philopsophies of running his defense to stop from the inside out. Something that BBD and I talked about quite a bit. He seemed to think we would be vunerable in the middle I told him that the lack of beef in the middle wasn't a huge problem because our backers were assigned certain gaps.

I can't recall one person coming in with knowledge of the defense and saying anything outside of Wade likes big corners. Outside of that noone really knew what to expect right away.

Burns on a side note both me and you and go cowboys worked a forum mock...and I think we kept the Burnett role how it currently is. I just don't get all this bickering from you...you should be better.
I contributed to the write on the phillips 3-4 with you. I think there was actually a thread dedicated to how it worked, our fans as well as people like BBD were interested. But whatever we both had the same Idea. It was stupid of me to argue over who called it first.
Burns336 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:03 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.