Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > The Locker Room > Off Topic

Off Topic Almost Anything Goes

Old 03-10-2007, 07:45 AM    (permalink
AdrianWilson12
Veteran

AdrianWilson12 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

The media here is getting way ahead of themselves about the champions league. They talking about a all English final as if its a done deal. It really annoys me how biased they get.

I agree with etk though, Chelsea over Roma in the finals, with them beating Liverpool and Bayern in the semis.
#1--Russell I can't be too disappointed in this pick because he is, realistically, a huge upgrade (in the same way that the Great Wall of China would be a huge upgrade over the fence in my backyard) over Andrew Walter.
AdrianWilson12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 09:30 AM    (permalink
Jango
Rookie

Jango is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJango is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJango is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJango is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJango is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJango is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJango is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJango is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJango is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJango is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairJango is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hair

United will beat Roma, no question about it. Totti and Mancini are there only decent players. Our defence is easily strong enough to deal with him and for an Italian team, they are poor at the back.

I'm loving our draw though, avoiding the English teams and Bayern in the semis will be great.
Jango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 10:27 AM    (permalink
rchrd
Veteran

rchrd is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rchrd is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rchrd is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rchrd is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rchrd is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rchrd is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rchrd is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rchrd is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rchrd is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rchrd is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rchrd is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianWilson12 View Post
I often get stick for my support of Dowie, but as soon as we fired Adams, I was begging we appointed him. He did wonders at Oldham and you, especially to get you promoted when you were relegation candidates going into that season. I thought he would be good for Charlton, and I couldn't understand why he was sacked. He seems a good tactition and good with the media.

What's happened with Watson? He was a good young player the year you were in the premiership, and I thought he would go onto better things.
Yup, he worked wonders in terms of fitness and I liked how he was in the media, he's also an educated guy. His tactics when things are going badly however are abysmal. I still think you guys got a steal as he seems like the sort of guy who can admit to mistakes and improve himself.

Watson has been injured most of the season, as with Soares. Apparently we've scored the fewest goals at home in the league, not surprising when you're doing it with a midfield of Butterfield, Lawrence (both mainly full backs) and Kennedy (who is just crap, but a winger playing in the middle) and either of the two strikers playing left wing from Scowcroft and Freedman. First choice would look more like Ifill Soares/Watson Fletcher McAnuff

Soares and Watson are both back today though.
Old 03-10-2007, 12:10 PM    (permalink
etk
All-NFLDC

etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
The media here is getting way ahead of themselves about the champions league. They talking about a all English final as if its a done deal. It really annoys me how biased they get.

I agree with etk though, Chelsea over Roma in the finals, with them beating Liverpool and Bayern in the semis.
Those are my full predictions but I didn't post all of them, because it's unlikely all of it will be right :(

sig by BoneKrusher
etk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 02:48 PM    (permalink
etk
All-NFLDC

etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Anyone here can give a recap of the Man U game? I read the recap and I guess Rooney, Giggs & Ronaldo played well, pretty typical. How controversial was the penalty?

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 03-10-2007, 03:05 PM    (permalink
UKfan
All-Pro

UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Man U v Liverpool final I think and hope.

Roma shouldn't upset Man Utd unless Man Utd fall to pieces. Individually and collectively Man Utd are better, Mancini is a threat but unfortunately I think Gary Neville can handle him, and Totti will get little change from the Man U central defenders.
Bayern v AC could go either way, but the winner of that game will lose to Man U, I'll go Bayern. A tough tie to call with matchwinners either side, I think Roy Makaay will be the difference in this tie, and it will be a low scoring, quite dull affair.
So in my opinion Man Utd SHOULD make the final

Liverpool v PSV, I think it will be tighter than people think, PSV look improved over the group stages, where Liverpool won 2-0 and drew 0-0, I'll go 1 - 1 in Eindhoven, 1-0 at Anfield. I think the key area in this game will be the midfield, where I feel Liverpool have a definite edge over their Dutch counterparts.
Chelsea v Valencia, I believe that Chelsea will go through, but if Terry doesn't play in both legs, it could be trouble, as Villa and Morientes could be deadly. Winner of that will be a tough semi for Liverpool but really exciting. Either another battle with Chelsea and a repeat of 2005, or a game against Valencia, a team whose current fortunes are intertwined with Liverpool's, with Rafa Benitez their ex-manager, Morientes ex-Liverpool and Villa a Liverpool target.

If I were a betting man, I'd be going for Man U as potential winners, they certainly should be in the final anyway, over to you!

Key Players for each team to progress:
Man Utd: Ronaldo
Roma: Totti
Bayern: Lucio
AC Milan: Kaka
PSV: Alex
Liverpool: Carragher
Chelsea: Terry
Valencia: David Villa

Thoughts?

XBox 360 Gamertag: Bunj1986
UKfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 03:06 PM    (permalink
UKfan
All-Pro

UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by etk View Post
Anyone here can give a recap of the Man U game? I read the recap and I guess Rooney, Giggs & Ronaldo played well, pretty typical. How controversial was the penalty?
Not very really, Rio Ferdinand flicked a ball on, with Boateng right behind him, Boateng instinctively put his hands up to protect his face and it hit his arms. It wasn't intentional but by the laws of the game, a definite pen.

Old 03-10-2007, 03:13 PM    (permalink
etk
All-NFLDC

I thought your analysis was very good, but I don't think Lucio is the key player for Bayern. He has been very inconsistent this season and is a big reason for some of their Bundesliga struggles. Hasan Salihamdzic played exceptionally well in their win over Madrid, and I think he is an important factor in setting up Makaay and Podolski, although Podolski has been invisible almost all season. I wonder whether they will start Pizarro over him.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 03-10-2007, 03:22 PM    (permalink
UKfan
All-Pro

I haven't managed to catch a lot of Bundesliga, but I picked out Lucio as I think he will have a big part in holding Kaka, he should know his game pretty well with them being colleagues in the national team. Owen Hargreaves could be important as well in controlling Seedorf maybe, he was considered.

Old 03-10-2007, 03:24 PM    (permalink
AdrianWilson12
Veteran

AdrianWilson12 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKfan View Post
Man U v Liverpool final I think and hope.

Roma shouldn't upset Man Utd unless Man Utd fall to pieces. Individually and collectively Man Utd are better, Mancini is a threat but unfortunately I think Gary Neville can handle him, and Totti will get little change from the Man U central defenders.
Bayern v AC could go either way, but the winner of that game will lose to Man U, I'll go Bayern. A tough tie to call with matchwinners either side, I think Roy Makaay will be the difference in this tie, and it will be a low scoring, quite dull affair.
So in my opinion Man Utd SHOULD make the final

Liverpool v PSV, I think it will be tighter than people think, PSV look improved over the group stages, where Liverpool won 2-0 and drew 0-0, I'll go 1 - 1 in Eindhoven, 1-0 at Anfield. I think the key area in this game will be the midfield, where I feel Liverpool have a definite edge over their Dutch counterparts.
Chelsea v Valencia, I believe that Chelsea will go through, but if Terry doesn't play in both legs, it could be trouble, as Villa and Morientes could be deadly. Winner of that will be a tough semi for Liverpool but really exciting. Either another battle with Chelsea and a repeat of 2005, or a game against Valencia, a team whose current fortunes are intertwined with Liverpool's, with Rafa Benitez their ex-manager, Morientes ex-Liverpool and Villa a Liverpool target.

If I were a betting man, I'd be going for Man U as potential winners, they certainly should be in the final anyway, over to you!

Key Players for each team to progress:
Man Utd: Ronaldo
Roma: Totti
Bayern: Lucio
AC Milan: Kaka
PSV: Alex
Liverpool: Carragher
Chelsea: Terry
Valencia: David Villa

Thoughts?
People underrate Roma. Yes, the Italian league is weaker now, but Roma are only second to a amazing Inter Milan side. They certainly have the defenders to contain United and the only thing they really lack is a target man. They have good depth too. They have been so much better than Milan this year, and the only reason AC get respect is because of recent success.

BTW Mancini is strictly a right sided player normally, so it will be more of Evre's responsiblity.
#1--Russell I can't be too disappointed in this pick because he is, realistically, a huge upgrade (in the same way that the Great Wall of China would be a huge upgrade over the fence in my backyard) over Andrew Walter.
AdrianWilson12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 03:27 PM    (permalink
etk
All-NFLDC

Who will replace Van Bommel after he got another yellow? Demichelis seems like the reasonable choice, but it could be Ottl, although he lacks experience to be able to play on this stage.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 03-10-2007, 03:30 PM    (permalink
UKfan
All-Pro

Quote:
People underrate Roma. Yes, the Italian league is weaker now, but Roma are only second to a amazing Inter Milan side. They certainly have the defenders to contain United and the only thing they really lack is a target man. They have good depth too. They have been so much better than Milan this year, and the only reason AC get respect is because of recent success.

BTW Mancini is strictly a right sided player normally, so it will be more of Evre's responsiblity.
Of course, d'oh! Total brain melt there, and in that case he could get the better of Evra, hmmm, I still think Man Utd will go through mind you, too much quality in general, they move the ball excellently and attack with such pace Roma will struggle to keep them at bay for 180 minutes. My analysis on that game looks a bit crap now though haha.

Oh and I don't really respect AC, they are a bit of a spent force, I just don't rate Bayern too highly either lol.

Old 03-10-2007, 03:39 PM    (permalink
etk
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKfan View Post
Of course, d'oh! Total brain melt there, and in that case he could get the better of Evra, hmmm, I still think Man Utd will go through mind you, too much quality in general, they move the ball excellently and attack with such pace Roma will struggle to keep them at bay for 180 minutes. My analysis on that game looks a bit crap now though haha.

Oh and I don't really respect AC, they are a bit of a spent force, I just don't rate Bayern too highly either lol.
Exactly. It took AC Milan about 190 min to score a goal against Celtic, they obviously have their share of problems. Bayern has the same inconsistensies, so it should be an intriguing 2 legs, just like it was with Real Madrid.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 03-10-2007, 04:32 PM    (permalink
TCU
All-Pro

TCU is so money.TCU is so money.TCU is so money.TCU is so money.TCU is so money.TCU is so money.TCU is so money.TCU is so money.TCU is so money.TCU is so money.TCU is so money.

Im getting up early tommorow for some FA Cup action

Chelsea 2 -- Tottenham 1
Drogba 23'
Keane 54'
Drogba 71'

former #1 in post count on this site
first to 500 posts
TCU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 05:08 PM    (permalink
etk
All-NFLDC

Wow I didn't expect Real-Barca to be so uptempo and exciting. 3 quick goals and it's 2-2 at half. Ruud has 2 and Messi has 2, and it could easily be a 4-4 game at least.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 03-10-2007, 05:12 PM    (permalink
TCU
All-Pro

TCU is so money.TCU is so money.TCU is so money.TCU is so money.TCU is so money.TCU is so money.TCU is so money.TCU is so money.TCU is so money.TCU is so money.TCU is so money.

Quote:
Wow I didn't expect Real-Barca to be so uptempo and exciting. 3 quick goals and it's 2-2 at half. Ruud has 2 and Messi has 2, and it could easily be a 4-4 game at least.
are you watching the game or looking at computer updates,

and also what channel do all yall have that you get your soccer from, for me i have Fox Soccer Channel and they do a great job showing EPL games.

first to 500 posts
Old 03-10-2007, 06:58 PM    (permalink
etk
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCU View Post
are you watching the game or looking at computer updates,

and also what channel do all yall have that you get your soccer from, for me i have Fox Soccer Channel and they do a great job showing EPL games.
I saw it all live, I have FSW for EPL (I like their coverage) and I have GolTV for all other Soccer. Yes, that means pretty much all cup action and league games from all the major leagues plus the odd games from Turkey or Argentina, etc. The GolTV commentators really suck though because they are Canadians and they never stop talking, it's like listening to your friends in the living room rather than real commentary. Tomorrow there's FA cup games on FSW, and then on GTV there's a cup match between Milan & Inter, and then Bremen-Bayern Munich. I can't frickin wait.

The Barca game was one of the best I have ever seen, Messi had a hat trick and tied it up with a beautiful run and shot in extra time. There was 6 goals but the goalkeeping was really exceptional nonetheless. Either team could have scored multiple goals on top of the 3, and it's amazing how Barca came back to tie it up because they were down a man almost the entire 2nd half. Capello substituted De La Red, a forward, late in the game which made no sense and may have cost them the 3 points that could have given them a chance to move up in the standings. He is now officially going to be fired sooner or later.

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 03-10-2007, 07:24 PM    (permalink
rchrd
Veteran

rchrd is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rchrd is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rchrd is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rchrd is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rchrd is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rchrd is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rchrd is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rchrd is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rchrd is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rchrd is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rchrd is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Oh bollocks I knew I was forgetting something!!
Old 03-10-2007, 07:29 PM    (permalink
Freddy G
Veteran

Freddy G hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Not trying to dog you or anything rchrd, but what does "bollucks" translate to here in america?

****?

DChess resizing inc.

Reality is relative.

We don't give a DAMN for the whole state of Michigan

Last edited by Freddy G : 03-10-2007 at 07:40 PM.
Freddy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 07:36 PM    (permalink
rchrd
Veteran

:D er, testicles/balls like saying 'oh s**t' or whatever...Might have to edit that out lol, assumed the language thing would get it.
Old 03-10-2007, 07:40 PM    (permalink
Freddy G
Veteran

Freddy G hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Ah, thanks.

You englishman and your slang always throws me off.

DChess resizing inc.

Reality is relative.

We don't give a DAMN for the whole state of Michigan
Freddy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 09:47 PM    (permalink
TCU
All-Pro

Is Fox Soccer Channel/World showing the Chelsea v Tottenham game. I know they are showing 2 other FA games tommorow but im not for sure on the Chelsea game, i saw an ad saying they were but it wasnt in the listings.

first to 500 posts
Old 03-11-2007, 12:31 AM    (permalink
etk
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCU View Post
Is Fox Soccer Channel/World showing the Chelsea v Tottenham game. I know they are showing 2 other FA games tommorow but im not for sure on the Chelsea game, i saw an ad saying they were but it wasnt in the listings.
I sure hope so, assuming that Canadians get the same Fox Sports World as Americans

Don't forget to set your clock forward or you might miss the first half if you're a sleeper

sig by BoneKrusher
Old 03-11-2007, 01:02 AM    (permalink
Big Mike
Veteran

Big Mike hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Any Aresenal fans here?
Big Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 01:04 AM    (permalink
etk
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Mike View Post
Any Aresenal fans here?
Not after this season.......:D

sig by BoneKrusher