Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > The Locker Room > Off Topic

Off Topic Almost Anything Goes

Old 04-08-2012, 12:26 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMcgee View Post
Gap at the top continues to grow. Knew this would be a tough one, but man they've really had the wind taken out of them lately.
Which is kind of upsetting with EPL, if I pick a team like Arsenal, at least I know they'll be competitive, but feel like I'm rooting for the Yankees or something.

EDIT: unless, of course, Arsenal signs Brek Shea, then it's an easy decision.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011

Last edited by Brent : 04-08-2012 at 12:35 PM.
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 12:41 PM    (permalink
SuperPacker
All-NFLDC

SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Yeah, it would be so much better if it was set up the way the NFL was.

It could NEVER work though.

RIP themaninblack
SuperPacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 12:43 PM    (permalink
Todd Bertuzzi
All-Pro

Todd Bertuzzi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Todd Bertuzzi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Todd Bertuzzi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Todd Bertuzzi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Todd Bertuzzi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Todd Bertuzzi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Todd Bertuzzi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Todd Bertuzzi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Todd Bertuzzi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Todd Bertuzzi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Todd Bertuzzi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMcgee View Post
Gap at the top continues to grow. Knew this would be a tough one, but man they've really had the wind taken out of them lately.
McGee :((((

This loss could be the spark that starts the debate over Mancini's job. No silverware this season and the epic collapse in the title race is just unacceptable. It's strange that once we were finally eliminated from all competitions and all we had to focus on was the title was when the wheels just fell off.
Old 04-08-2012, 12:45 PM    (permalink
Rosebud
All-NFLDC

Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent View Post
I'm just going to see how things play out. If Newcastle actually makes an effort to be in the running for top 3 each year, then I'm down. I'd say Tottenham and Newcastle make the most sense for me.

While I am the third generation on my father's side to be born in the US, after migrating from Germany, I can't watch those games because I cannot understand what's being said. Also, I don't know **** about Bundesliga.
There's actually a lot of english streams for many of the bigger matches in the Bundesliga. And the beauty of the bundesliga is few people really know much about it.

Bayern will always be stacked contenders, Dortmund have done a great job of late bringing in amazing young talent and Schalke have been a solid 3rd place team thanks to a curious mixture of some stars in the twilight of their careers, a couple studs, some solid vets and interesting youngins.

After that who the **** really knows what'll happen next year. Gladbach have 4th wrapped up but they were the surprise of the season going from years of barely avoiding relegation to a CL place and just like their best player Marco Reus has already been poached by Dortmund for next year, I think they're likely to lose either Harmann (their IMO second best player and also a young german international) or their coach so they're a massive questionmark for next season. Leverkusen have some strong pieces to work with but were crushed by injuries and poor direction, haven't responded well to their recent coaching change and despite some great young talents could see a lot of change in the offseason.

Wolfsburg have a **** ton of money but haven't had a clue on what to do with it for a few years now but with Magath back in charge are scoring goals left and right again. Stuttgart and Werder are having solid campaigns but I don't personally see a clear way for them to move up without having some youngins break out like crazy. Hannover is a very solid club that lacks much fire power but have turned themselves into a solid mid table team. Hoffenheim are another team with money but poor direction, they broke out magnificently some years back but ended up selling off their best players and the guys they've brought in haven't worked as well.

After that you've got a number of teams that are all not very good this year.

TL:DR
The bundesliga's unpredictable because there's a lot of change over behind Bayern and whoever they're battling for the title with. Dortmund have been that team the past couple years and may well win the title again this year (and with their youth and finances figured out I actually think they'll stay at this level provided they make some CL noise next year), but those two are the class of league and behind them you have Schalke, who have been the third most successful team of the past half decade. After that though anything can happen and pretty often you see young teams shooting up the table from the relegation zone or just above it into CL contention the way Gladbach did this year or Dortmund, Hoffenheim and Hannover before them.

BK

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcheTen View Post
JPP is a better and more productive player than Brandon Graham
Quote:
Originally Posted by abaddon41_80 View Post
Is Shaun Hill a top 10 QB? Definitely not. Is he a top 20 one? Almost certainly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBCX View Post
Most misleading 10+ sack season EVER.

Last edited by Rosebud : 04-08-2012 at 12:47 PM.
Rosebud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 12:45 PM    (permalink
UKfan
All-Pro

UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Which is kind of upsetting with EPL, if I pick a team like Arsenal, at least I know they'll be competitive, but feel like I'm rooting for the Yankees or something.

EDIT: unless, of course, Arsenal signs Brek Shea, then it's an easy decision.
I seem to recall that Aston Villa were linked with Shea, I could be wrong though

XBox 360 Gamertag: Bunj1986
UKfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 12:51 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brent is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKfan View Post
I seem to recall that Aston Villa were linked with Shea, I could be wrong though
http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-arc...or-experience-

Our new national team coach told player to train with top-rated clubs in the offseason, and he worked with Arsenal. I'm thinking next year Brek ends up in EPL and that'll probably be the deciding factor, regardless of what team it is, as he is one of the US' best young players.

EDIT: Aston Villa would be cool, though, as they already have Brad Guzan.

Last edited by Brent : 04-08-2012 at 12:54 PM.
Old 04-08-2012, 01:18 PM    (permalink
Jughead10
The Juggernaut
Legend

Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
http://www.arsenal.com/news/news-arc...or-experience-

Our new national team coach told player to train with top-rated clubs in the offseason, and he worked with Arsenal. I'm thinking next year Brek ends up in EPL and that'll probably be the deciding factor, regardless of what team it is, as he is one of the US' best young players.

EDIT: Aston Villa would be cool, though, as they already have Brad Guzan.
And Lichaj. And they brought in Bradley on loan last year as well as had Freidel for a few years. They obviously are not scared of bringing in Americans.
Old 04-08-2012, 01:19 PM    (permalink
UKfan
All-Pro

UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Yeah it was a little while ago that I remember hearing about Shea now.

XBox 360 Gamertag: Bunj1986
UKfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 01:20 PM    (permalink
Giantsfan1080
Legend

Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Giantsfan1080 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Bolton has Holden and Ream who are also some of the younger better American players.

sig by BoneKrusher
Giantsfan1080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 01:23 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jughead10 View Post
And Lichaj. And they brought in Bradley on loan last year as well as had Freidel for a few years. They obviously are not scared of bringing in Americans.
Oh, I forgot about Lichaj. Yeah, they need three US players, so I can easily justify it.

Old 04-08-2012, 04:48 PM    (permalink
Rob S
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Location: I'm a simple man. I like pretty, dark haired women and breakfast food
Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I doubt Shea will jump straight to Arsenal. I can see Dempsey moving to Arsenal and Shea moving to Fulham though.
Old 04-08-2012, 06:06 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob S View Post
I doubt Shea will jump straight to Arsenal. I can see Dempsey moving to Arsenal and Shea moving to Fulham though.
Aston Villa picking up Shea would be cool, though. Decent club with a good looking kit and two young Americans would work for me. Don't doubt Brek's talent though, he is only 22, he could easily become another legendary US player.

Old 04-08-2012, 06:30 PM    (permalink
Rosebud
All-NFLDC

Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Aston Villa picking up Shea would be cool, though. Decent club with a good looking kit and two young Americans would work for me. Don't doubt Brek's talent though, he is only 22, he could easily become another legendary US player.
And now I'm the one who's confused.

BK

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcheTen View Post
JPP is a better and more productive player than Brandon Graham
Quote:
Originally Posted by abaddon41_80 View Post
Is Shaun Hill a top 10 QB? Definitely not. Is he a top 20 one? Almost certainly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBCX View Post
Most misleading 10+ sack season EVER.
Rosebud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 06:34 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosebud View Post
And now I'm the one who's confused.
Legendary in the US, no one cares about your silly Oliver Kahn.

Old 04-08-2012, 07:00 PM    (permalink
Rob S
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rob S is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Shea can be alright. Soccer is a little different than most sports....quality usually shines through early, especially for attackers. Shea is never going to be great imo.
Old 04-08-2012, 07:16 PM    (permalink
MetSox17
Suck it Metsox
Legend

MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.MetSox17 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

It's strange that i've watched soccer all my life and i've never truly identified myself with one team. Never really a fan of the Mexican League, i love EPL soccer but don't have cable so i don't have a lot of opportunities to keep up with it.

I find myself rooting for players a lot more than i do for teams, but i too would like to find one team to settle down with. I've lived the long life of a bachelor. I'm also looking to get married.
Old 04-08-2012, 08:02 PM    (permalink
Brent
TomTom Out
Legend

Quote:
Shea can be alright. Soccer is a little different than most sports....quality usually shines through early, especially for attackers. Shea is never going to be great imo.
Brek and Juan Agudelo just happen to be two who I really like.

Old 04-08-2012, 08:21 PM    (permalink
Rob S
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Yeah, I have nothing against either player. I just wouldn't expect them to ever be on the level of the better players in Europe and South America.
Old 04-09-2012, 01:50 AM    (permalink
Lil Quip
Rookie

Lil Quip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Lil Quip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Lil Quip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Lil Quip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Lil Quip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Lil Quip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Lil Quip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Lil Quip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Lil Quip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Lil Quip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Lil Quip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I definitely would love to see Dempsey jump up in the EPL. I like Fulham and their ability to stay comfortably in the middle of the pack is admirable, but I don't see them fighting for the top. Plus I have heard Dempsey wants to earn some hardware, so going to a top five team gets him access to the higher level tourneys.

One issue I see is how willing Fulham are going to let him get away. They let Zamora go, and (I am not that knowledgeable on their younger guys) letting their best offensive threat go is a little much. His price tag might get a little high for that to happen. Plus why would Arsenal want him, he isn't a really young french national after all.

However, I would also not mind to see Shea come to Fulham too. Never hurts to have national team players able to play together on club teams in top flight soccer. I mean not every country can have Barca and the SNT.
Lil Quip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 02:02 AM    (permalink
Lil Quip
Rookie

Lil Quip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Lil Quip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Lil Quip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Lil Quip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Lil Quip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Lil Quip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Lil Quip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Lil Quip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Lil Quip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Lil Quip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Lil Quip is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosebud View Post
There's actually a lot of english streams for many of the bigger matches in the Bundesliga. And the beauty of the bundesliga is few people really know much about it.

Bayern will always be stacked contenders, Dortmund have done a great job of late bringing in amazing young talent and Schalke have been a solid 3rd place team thanks to a curious mixture of some stars in the twilight of their careers, a couple studs, some solid vets and interesting youngins.

After that who the **** really knows what'll happen next year. Gladbach have 4th wrapped up but they were the surprise of the season going from years of barely avoiding relegation to a CL place and just like their best player Marco Reus has already been poached by Dortmund for next year, I think they're likely to lose either Harmann (their IMO second best player and also a young german international) or their coach so they're a massive questionmark for next season. Leverkusen have some strong pieces to work with but were crushed by injuries and poor direction, haven't responded well to their recent coaching change and despite some great young talents could see a lot of change in the offseason.

Wolfsburg have a **** ton of money but haven't had a clue on what to do with it for a few years now but with Magath back in charge are scoring goals left and right again. Stuttgart and Werder are having solid campaigns but I don't personally see a clear way for them to move up without having some youngins break out like crazy. Hannover is a very solid club that lacks much fire power but have turned themselves into a solid mid table team. Hoffenheim are another team with money but poor direction, they broke out magnificently some years back but ended up selling off their best players and the guys they've brought in haven't worked as well.

After that you've got a number of teams that are all not very good this year.

TL:DR
The bundesliga's unpredictable because there's a lot of change over behind Bayern and whoever they're battling for the title with. Dortmund have been that team the past couple years and may well win the title again this year (and with their youth and finances figured out I actually think they'll stay at this level provided they make some CL noise next year), but those two are the class of league and behind them you have Schalke, who have been the third most successful team of the past half decade. After that though anything can happen and pretty often you see young teams shooting up the table from the relegation zone or just above it into CL contention the way Gladbach did this year or Dortmund, Hoffenheim and Hannover before them.
Now is definitely a good time to jump on the Bundesliga bandwagon. Hate to bore people with the economics of soccer, but there is big trouble brewing. Revenue wise the EPL brings in the bucks but it has some fiscal issues. The real problem is more Spain and Italy. There are some serious fiscal smoke and mirrors going on there, Enron type stuff. If Barca and RM get into dire straights, you could see a bunch of that talent migrating elsewhere. Italy in general is a mess too, so the same could happen. Coming back to the Bundesliga, it is the most fiscally sound of the top level soccer leagues, and one of the best of all (to be honest, the NFL is king of the hill.) After the billionaire owners throw their money away, I could see a bunch of Bundesliga teams getting some top level talent at bargain prices.
Lil Quip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 08:24 AM    (permalink
Rob S
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil Quip View Post
I definitely would love to see Dempsey jump up in the EPL. I like Fulham and their ability to stay comfortably in the middle of the pack is admirable, but I don't see them fighting for the top. Plus I have heard Dempsey wants to earn some hardware, so going to a top five team gets him access to the higher level tourneys.

One issue I see is how willing Fulham are going to let him get away. They let Zamora go, and (I am not that knowledgeable on their younger guys) letting their best offensive threat go is a little much. His price tag might get a little high for that to happen. Plus why would Arsenal want him, he isn't a really young french national after all.

However, I would also not mind to see Shea come to Fulham too. Never hurts to have national team players able to play together on club teams in top flight soccer. I mean not every country can have Barca and the SNT.
I may be wrong, but I'm pretty sure the upcoming season is the last one on Dempsey's contract. If that's the case, I expect him to be sold.
Old 04-09-2012, 09:00 AM    (permalink
SuperPacker
All-NFLDC

SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

We should be getting a win here! Bolton's away record is poor and we're on a great run. I'm hoping Papiss Cisse can continue his great run.

Im listening to it with Fox Soccer commentary. Its quite funny.

EDIT: Its not even American commentary :(

RIP themaninblack

Last edited by SuperPacker : 04-09-2012 at 09:02 AM.
Old 04-09-2012, 09:35 AM    (permalink
Rob S
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Newcastle just not getting into a flow here. Hopefully Pardew gives them a talking to at the half.
Old 04-09-2012, 09:41 AM    (permalink
SuperPacker
All-NFLDC

The game has been terrible.

RIP themaninblack
Old 04-09-2012, 09:47 AM    (permalink
Rob S
Suck it Metsox
Legend

Bolton haven't looked like scoring, but a draw would be a poor result for us here.