Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > The Locker Room > Off Topic

Off Topic Almost Anything Goes

Old 03-24-2007, 01:01 PM    (permalink
tEk
Veteran

tEk wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.tEk wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.tEk wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.tEk wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.tEk wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.tEk wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.tEk wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.tEk wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.tEk wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.tEk wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.tEk wakes up in the morning and pisses excellence.

Alright so i am not a soccer fan. No, I am not here to bash just to poke and prod. I really would like to know what draws you to the sport and what keeps it exciting? To me it looks like they just pass the ball back and forth and don't really try to score all that often. Is that daft perception or what?

Hitman D
tEk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 01:05 PM    (permalink
KCJ58
Icon

KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.KCJ58 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Who has the best club team?

KCJ58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 01:35 PM    (permalink
Vince Lombardi
Pro Bowler

Vince Lombardi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vince Lombardi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vince Lombardi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vince Lombardi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vince Lombardi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vince Lombardi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vince Lombardi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vince Lombardi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vince Lombardi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vince Lombardi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vince Lombardi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tEk View Post
Alright so i am not a soccer fan. No, I am not here to bash just to poke and prod. I really would like to know what draws you to the sport and what keeps it exciting? To me it looks like they just pass the ball back and forth and don't really try to score all that often. Is that daft perception or what?
Have you ever played in a real soccer game? If not, it's hard for people to appreciate the amount of skill that truly goes into the game, especially at the top club levels. Just watching on tv it looks very simple, but the amount of skill it takes to be truly good is incredible. The biggest complaint people have is that there isn't alot of scoring, personally I think that that makes it more exciting than a sport where they score basically every few plays, it's the build up to the goals that makes them so exciting when they do happen. A good soccer match is like a good chess match, it's all about strategy.

And then there's the main reason that makes soccer the most popular sport in the world, the cultures. Soccer truly is a world wide sport and with that comes an amazing array of cultures and soccer styles. Soccer fans are the most loyal and enthusiastic fans in the world. No other sporting event can even come close to equaling the excitement of a big time soccer match. There are entire countries that completely shutdown to watch big matches.

There's just too many things to explain that contribute to soccer being so popular. The best way to sum it up is that soccer, unlike pretty much any other sport, is a way of life more than it is just a game. People live or die by their clubs win and losses, sometimes literally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by njx9
i invite all of you to spam the board with moronic topics that aren't even vaguely entertaining. please.
Vince Lombardi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 01:50 PM    (permalink
Vince Lombardi
Pro Bowler

Vince Lombardi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vince Lombardi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vince Lombardi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vince Lombardi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vince Lombardi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vince Lombardi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vince Lombardi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vince Lombardi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vince Lombardi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vince Lombardi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Vince Lombardi is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCJ58 View Post
Who has the best club team?
The EPL (English Premier League or Premiership) is probably the most popular league in the world, as many of the top players play there. The most popular clubs are Arsenal, Manchester United, and Chelsea. Those three teams are usually the best because they have insane amounts of money and buy up all of the best players. Liverpool will probably join their ranks also because they were just bought by some extremely wealthy Americans. My favorite team is Tottenham Hotspur, they don't have the same kind of cash to spend but they're usually very competitive and have one of the best fan bases.

There are some spanish teams which are hugely popular too, such as Real Madrid & FC Barcelona, because they have many superstars, long tradition, and they usually dominate.

Quote:
i invite all of you to spam the board with moronic topics that aren't even vaguely entertaining. please.
Old 03-24-2007, 03:12 PM    (permalink
Freddy G
Veteran

Freddy G hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Vince summed it up pretty well.

Just to reiterate, i don't think americans realize just how big the game of soccer is on a global level. It is with out a doubt the most popular, loved, and largest sport in the world by an ENORMOUS margin. The big three in america and america's (for lack of a better term) barbarianism (think Romans) have suppressed the game, not allowing to hit the main stream and appreciatied as it should. People literally live for the game of soccer outside the US....if you ever travel outside the country, you will truly amazed at how big of a deal it is.

DChess resizing inc.

Reality is relative.

We don't give a DAMN for the whole state of Michigan
Freddy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 05:43 PM    (permalink
AdrianWilson12
Veteran

AdrianWilson12 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

McClaran better be sacked now. It will be pitiful to not qualify for the Euros, on par with the 94 world cup.
#1--Russell I can't be too disappointed in this pick because he is, realistically, a huge upgrade (in the same way that the Great Wall of China would be a huge upgrade over the fence in my backyard) over Andrew Walter.
AdrianWilson12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 06:32 PM    (permalink
TCU
All-Pro

TCU is so money.TCU is so money.TCU is so money.TCU is so money.TCU is so money.TCU is so money.TCU is so money.TCU is so money.TCU is so money.TCU is so money.TCU is so money.

Anyone else watch the U 21 match. 3-3 it was very exciting great goals and one of them was in the first 29 seconds of the game.

former #1 in post count on this site
first to 500 posts
TCU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 07:28 PM    (permalink
PMD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince Lombardi View Post
The EPL (English Premier League or Premiership) is probably the most popular league in the world, as many of the top players play there. The most popular clubs are Arsenal, Manchester United, and Chelsea. Those three teams are usually the best because they have insane amounts of money and buy up all of the best players. Liverpool will probably join their ranks also because they were just bought by some extremely wealthy Americans. My favorite team is Tottenham Hotspur, they don't have the same kind of cash to spend but they're usually very competitive and have one of the best fan bases.

There are some spanish teams which are hugely popular too, such as Real Madrid & FC Barcelona, because they have many superstars, long tradition, and they usually dominate.
What do you mean Liverpool WILL join their ranks?????

They have won 5 European Cups, 7 FA Cups, 7 League Cups and 18 First Division titles. They are the most succesful team in the history of English football.

I'm not even a Red, but I must say, your ignorance is insulting.

Last edited by PMD : 03-24-2007 at 07:31 PM.
Old 03-25-2007, 06:23 AM    (permalink
AdrianWilson12
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMD View Post

They have won 5 European Cups, 7 FA Cups, 7 League Cups and 18 First Division titles. They are the most succesful team in the history of English football.

Agreed, Liverpool are clearly one of the big 4. Hell, if you were arguing on history there is no way Chelsea deserve that status, before 2004 they hadn't won a title since the 50's.
#1--Russell I can't be too disappointed in this pick because he is, realistically, a huge upgrade (in the same way that the Great Wall of China would be a huge upgrade over the fence in my backyard) over Andrew Walter.
Old 03-25-2007, 09:46 AM    (permalink
UKfan
All-Pro

UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianWilson12 View Post
Agreed, Liverpool are clearly one of the big 4. Hell, if you were arguing on history there is no way Chelsea deserve that status, before 2004 they hadn't won a title since the 50's.
We won it 5 tiiimes, in Istanbul, we won it 5 tiiimes!

XBox 360 Gamertag: Bunj1986
UKfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 10:49 AM    (permalink
Vince Lombardi
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMD View Post

I meant as far as becoming a big spending team, not being a successful
team. Jesus christ dude, no need to get insulting.

Quote:
Old 03-25-2007, 02:40 PM    (permalink
rchrd
Veteran

rchrd is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rchrd is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rchrd is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rchrd is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rchrd is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rchrd is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rchrd is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rchrd is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rchrd is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rchrd is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rchrd is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCU View Post
Anyone else watch the U 21 match. 3-3 it was very exciting great goals and one of them was in the first 29 seconds of the game.
Yeah quality lazy day of U21 game (which was very good), English cricket (which was okay after the bowling performance and Steve Tikolo's effort with the bat) then avoiding the black hole that is Steve McLaren's tenure as England manager. I was always a massive Sven fan, our squad of over paid under achieving individuals is being shown up without him more so than I was expecting.

Was happy for Wayne Routledge to score, that finish was excellent. Local lad pulling it out for England at any level is always cool.
Old 03-25-2007, 05:01 PM    (permalink
AdrianWilson12
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rchrd View Post
Yeah quality lazy day of U21 game (which was very good), English cricket (which was okay after the bowling performance and Steve Tikolo's effort with the bat) then avoiding the black hole that is Steve McLaren's tenure as England manager. I was always a massive Sven fan, our squad of over paid under achieving individuals is being shown up without him more so than I was expecting.

Was happy for Wayne Routledge to score, that finish was excellent. Local lad pulling it out for England at any level is always cool.
You still like Routledge after his lack of loyalty in leaving for Tottenham?

Thinking about it I see similarities with the Wright-Phillips situation. IE both young wingers trying to make it at a bigger club, but being stuck on the bench and not working out.
Old 03-25-2007, 07:04 PM    (permalink
rchrd
Veteran

rchrd is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rchrd is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rchrd is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rchrd is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rchrd is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rchrd is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rchrd is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rchrd is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rchrd is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rchrd is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rchrd is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianWilson12 View Post
You still like Routledge after his lack of loyalty in leaving for Tottenham?

Thinking about it I see similarities with the Wright-Phillips situation. IE both young wingers trying to make it at a bigger club, but being stuck on the bench and not working out.
Yeah I dont blame him in the slightest. He was doing fine at Spurs making an impression until he got injured, then moving on to Fulham to prove his fitness. He has a touch of class about him, it's just about final product with him. If he can make that step he's up there with Wright-Phillips and Lennon in terms of talent.
Old 03-25-2007, 11:05 PM    (permalink
PMD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince Lombardi View Post
I meant as far as becoming a big spending team, not being a successful
team. Jesus christ dude, no need to get insulting.

I didn't insult you, I said you were the insulting one.
Old 03-26-2007, 10:05 PM    (permalink
TCU
All-Pro

TCU is so money.TCU is so money.TCU is so money.TCU is so money.TCU is so money.TCU is so money.TCU is so money.TCU is so money.TCU is so money.TCU is so money.TCU is so money.

Did anyone see Ricardo Quarsema's goal it was pretty sick, it was an outside of the foot shot that fooled the keeper.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHEh4...elated&search=

first to 500 posts
Old 03-26-2007, 10:10 PM    (permalink
etk
All-NFLDC

etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Did anyone see Ricardo Quarsema's goal it was pretty sick, it was an outside of the foot shot that fooled the keeper.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHEh4...elated&search=
That was sick, but I'm surprised that they scored so many goals against Belgium. Van Buyten and Kompany are 2 great defenders.

sig by BoneKrusher
etk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 10:34 PM    (permalink
TCU
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by etk View Post
That was sick, but I'm surprised that they scored so many goals against Belgium. Van Buyten and Kompany are 2 great defenders.
But Christiano and Quarsema are 2 great attackers.

also i know they were playing Ecuador but Donavon had 3 sick goals.

first to 500 posts

Last edited by TCU : 03-26-2007 at 10:37 PM.
Old 03-26-2007, 10:46 PM    (permalink
etk
All-NFLDC

etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.etk is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Germany beat Czech Republic, so I'm happy. Kevin Kuranyi has stepped uo and played well all year, and now he's proving himself on the international stage too.

England couldn't even beat Israel, very amusing. What do you guys think of McClaren?

sig by BoneKrusher
etk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 11:01 PM    (permalink
TCU
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by etk View Post
Germany beat Czech Republic, so I'm happy. Kevin Kuranyi has stepped uo and played well all year, and now he's proving himself on the international stage too.

England couldn't even beat Israel, very amusing. What do you guys think of McClaren?
Im not blaming him totally but those players can not play together at all espicially Lampard and Gerrard. And was that Lennon and Johnson's first start? I dont really know enough on McClaren to base a real opinion on him but he certainly isnt doing a good job when they are having this much trouble but despite this they are 3rd in the group and will ultimatly qualify so i dont think its that big of a deal and they have some games coming up in Wembley so they will be fine

first to 500 posts
Old 03-28-2007, 06:10 PM    (permalink
Freddy G
Veteran

Freddy G hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

.......yeah.....

One thing i would like to say is that Koler, while the largest striker in the world, is probably the slowest soccer player i have ever seen (maybe exagerating a bit)....holy crap, how is he still playing, he's like 33 right?

DChess resizing inc.

Reality is relative.

We don't give a DAMN for the whole state of Michigan
Freddy G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 10:03 PM    (permalink
sweetness34
Icon

sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.sweetness34 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I hate teams who bunker their defense. We still should've won the game. Eddie Johnson has regressed as a player the past year or so and Duece was off tonight.

Idk, I thought Bradley was safe before this game but who knows now. I wouldn't mind seeing Nowak as our new head coahc personally.

Another sig courtesy of BoneKrusher

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBCX View Post
Despite looking better against an underachieving Eagles team, I still think the Bears are one of the worst teams in the NFL. I smell a blowout victory by the Lions this week and a division sweep.
sweetness34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 11:47 PM    (permalink
TH3
Veteran

TH3 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.TH3 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Guatamala was REDICULOUS with the "cramps" tonight
TH3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2007, 02:46 PM    (permalink
UKfan
All-Pro

UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

McClaren out! I don't really care about the National side, but my god, I think that Matt Millen could do a better job managing the side!

XBox 360 Gamertag: Bunj1986
UKfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2007, 11:45 AM    (permalink
rchrd
Veteran

Quote:
Im not blaming him totally but those players can not play together at all espicially Lampard and Gerrard. And was that Lennon and Johnson's first start? I dont really know enough on McClaren to base a real opinion on him but he certainly isnt doing a good job when they are having this much trouble but despite this they are 3rd in the group and will ultimatly qualify so i dont think its that big of a deal and they have some games coming up in Wembley so they will be fine
Never wanted Sven to leave, certainly never wanted McLaren of all people to get the job. My opinions have yet to be swayed by the performances of the national side thus far.

It's a shame the national job has so much baggage these days we need to offer a mediocre manager over the top money just to have his (professional at least) life slowly torn apart. Feel sorry for the guy as he was never good enough for the job in the first place, he just happened to be English and willing.