Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > The Locker Room > Off Topic

Off Topic Almost Anything Goes

Old 06-14-2012, 02:55 PM    (permalink
Cigaro
All-NFLDC

Location: Two-thirds of the Earth is covered by water, the other one-third is covered by Luke Kuechly
Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jughead10 View Post
Torres starting for Spain. Hopefully he can build some confidence against Ireland.
Well, looks likely that he will.

Sig by Matthew Jones
Cigaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 02:55 PM    (permalink
Rosebud
All-NFLDC

Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Crap I missed it. Forgot it started. Was it nice?
Almost exactly like Gomez's second goal but off of an irish **** up instead of a schweini beauty.

BK

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcheTen View Post
JPP is a better and more productive player than Brandon Graham
Quote:
Originally Posted by abaddon41_80 View Post
Is Shaun Hill a top 10 QB? Definitely not. Is he a top 20 one? Almost certainly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBCX View Post
Most misleading 10+ sack season EVER.
Rosebud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 03:51 PM    (permalink
JRTPlaya21
All-Pro

JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Oh Silva that was a beauty

#3 Duke Blue Devils (5-0)
2010 National Champions!!
2014 Coaches vs Cancer Champions

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sO4iMIahsAs
JRTPlaya21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 03:51 PM    (permalink
SuperPacker
All-NFLDC

SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Iniesta/Silva combo!

RIP themaninblack
SuperPacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 04:12 PM    (permalink
JRTPlaya21
All-Pro

JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.JRTPlaya21 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Torres double!!!

Old 06-14-2012, 04:31 PM    (permalink
jrdrylie
All-NFLDC

jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.jrdrylie is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I haven't been able to watch the game. I've only seen the clips of the goals. Is Spain just that good or is the Irish defense just that bad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidGold View Post
Bortlezzzzzzz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monomach View Post
Brilliant letting one of Scott Pioli's henchmen have his own team to ruin.  One of the premier GM jobs in the NFL and it gets handed to a stupid **** who makes three facepalm moves for every good one.  Awesome.  Just like handing a new Mercedes to a 16 year old girl who's already been in three wrecks. 
jrdrylie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 04:35 PM    (permalink
JRTPlaya21
All-Pro

Spain is just that good but Ireland had some tragic defensive lapses on some of the goals.

Old 06-14-2012, 04:36 PM    (permalink
Hurricanes25
All-Pro

Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricanes25 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Just a dominant performance by the Spanish. Ireland is bad but Spain appears to be firing on all cylinders.

Sig by BoneKrusher
Hurricanes25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 04:40 PM    (permalink
Smooth Criminal
All-NFLDC

Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Soccer isn't going to get a lot of casual American fans with this many ties. I don't give a damn about any soccer team, but there's other sports I don't care about that I can watch so it's something else with soccer. Im gonna go with the long strings of nothing major happening, the constant let downs during the game, and the fact that these early round games appear to mean damn near nothing when you have this many ties.

I've tried watching can't do it. I'll just never understand what people find so thrilling about it that they riot and kill people. All it does is put me to sleep everyday, and I usually don't miss much.

Thanks to The Dynasty for the sig
Smooth Criminal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 04:42 PM    (permalink
SuperPacker
All-NFLDC

SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.SuperPacker is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooth Criminal View Post
Soccer isn't going to get a lot of casual American fans with this many ties. I don't give a damn about any soccer team, but there's other sports I don't care about that I can watch so it's something else with soccer. Im gonna go with the long strings of nothing major happening, the constant let downs during the game, and the fact that these early round games appear to mean damn near nothing when you have this many ties.

I've tried watching can't do it. I'll just never understand what people find so thrilling about it that they riot and kill people. All it does is put me to sleep everyday, and I usually don't miss much.
I speak on behalf of everyone by saying, we don't give a ****.

RIP themaninblack
Old 06-14-2012, 04:45 PM    (permalink
JRTPlaya21
All-Pro

Lol soccer doesn't really care about the casual Americans.....it's still gonna be the world's biggest sport regardless. I'll be in Brazil in two years for a month not caring about who watches the World Cup and who doesn't. But thanks for trying though.

Old 06-14-2012, 04:47 PM    (permalink
thefalconer
Pro Bowler

thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.thefalconer is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

it's just the nature of the game. i'm a huge soccer fan but i'll concede the fact that it can be uninteresting at times. idk what your level of knowledge for the game is but knowing tactics and players helps a ton. what gets me is the intricate buildup to an attack, killer passes, and those rare late equalizers/winners. the sport will be fine without america rearing its ugly head into it so no worries. stick to the sports you like.
thefalconer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 04:48 PM    (permalink
Smooth Criminal
All-NFLDC

Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smooth Criminal is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I understand soccer doesn't care about, or need, American viewers. They have the most popular sport in the world.

Just pointing it out with the amount of coverage that American media puts on it, and pretends to care about it every couple years.

Old 06-14-2012, 04:52 PM    (permalink
Rosebud
All-NFLDC

Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Rosebud is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperPacker View Post
I speak on behalf of everyone by saying, we don't give a ****.
This. Americans can continue not watching soccer. The world will continue not caring. Although I'm sure if the US ever develops a youth development system and have a national team that's actually good, all the bandwagoners will go on and on about what diehard fans they are of the sport of soccer.

BK

Quote:
Quote:
Is Shaun Hill a top 10 QB? Definitely not. Is he a top 20 one? Almost certainly.
Quote:
Old 06-14-2012, 04:55 PM    (permalink
Smooth Criminal
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosebud View Post
This. Americans can continue not watching soccer. The world will continue not caring. Although I'm sure if the US ever develops a youth development system and have a national team that's actually good, all the bandwagoners will go on and on about what diehard fans they are of the sport of soccer.
The bandwagon will be there, but only for as long as the team would be competing for a Cup or medal. After they lose the country will stop pretending to care and if they win the country would forget about it as soon as LeBron dunked the ball or Tebow scored a touchdown.

Old 06-14-2012, 05:00 PM    (permalink
JRTPlaya21
All-Pro

They can "pretend" to care all they want but the fact that they go through so much trouble to include it in highlights and continue to purchase rights to the big tournaments & the EPL shows that they know a great deal of people appreciate watching it on their networks.

Old 06-14-2012, 05:02 PM    (permalink
Rosebud
All-NFLDC

Quote:
I understand soccer doesn't care about, or need, American viewers. They have the most popular sport in the world.

Just pointing it out with the amount of coverage that American media puts on it, and pretends to care about it every couple years.
The WC and EC do well regardless of casual mainstream american viewers because of the diehard soccer fans and us immigrants.

I'm a basketball fan but I think that sport isn't any more exciting than a soccer game, by the nature of the sport all of the scoring doesn't really matter and so it's the balance of play that you're really watching for, that's what buildup play in soccer is, the momentum shifting back and forth.

Or compare it to football, how do you not see the parallels between the two sports. The way soccer teams build up their play and move into attacking positions is the exact same way teams used to pound the ball to the redzone, with deep bombs being comparable to quick counterattacks.

Admittedly I'm a fan of all of these sports, so of course I'll see positive similarities more strongly, but I don't get this nothing major happens criticism. The score doesn't change like a basketball game, but if you took away FGs and all of the pro-passing rule changes, neither would the scores in football games and do FGs really make that huge a difference in the excitement of a game? In both footballs it is the nuance, tactics, strategy and execution that are most exciting; not just the individual scoring plays, which are still very exciting, but the way teams get into position to score.

BK

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Last edited by Rosebud : 06-14-2012 at 05:08 PM.
Old 06-14-2012, 05:03 PM    (permalink
Jughead10
The Juggernaut
Legend

Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Jughead10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:

The ties are only in the group stage. America loves the shoot outs which I actually find to be such an arbitrary way to end a match after 120 mins. But I understand there is really no other option. But I'm probably unlike most Americans, as basketball is my least favorite sport because of all the constant scoring.
Jughead10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 05:07 PM    (permalink
Rosebud
All-NFLDC

Quote:
The bandwagon will be there, but only for as long as the team would be competing for a Cup or medal. After they lose the country will stop pretending to care and if they win the country would forget about it as soon as LeBron dunked the ball or Tebow scored a touchdown.
Probably, but I'm not as sure. For the US to really contend they'd need to develop top tier soccer academies the way the Germans have been building or the Dutch have at Ajax. That would mean a viable next level for all of the kids that quit soccer for other sports in high school, which would mean more people involved in the sport at more competitive levels, a higher level of domestic league play, because the MLS is awful, and more players that'll actually draw fans. So if the US ever does seriously contend we'd be a looking at a very different public outlook on the sport.

BK

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Old 06-14-2012, 05:08 PM    (permalink
iowatreat54
Icon

iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
As a life long soccer fan, I do actually enjoy the World Cup years because casual Americans get all amped up about it and act like they're huge fans (which isn't bad for soccer in the US). But then they lose to Ghana and those same fans immediately complain about how the US sucks at soccer and it will never be popular because it's boring and blah blah blah.

I'm actually pissed I can't watch these games but have to follow online. I understand why anyone would not be interested, but I love soccer and don't care if it's a 0-0 game or 5-4 with a game winner in extra time. There's so many little things you enjoy from near misses on set pieces to great tackles on defense. I love that the rest of the world loves soccer and it's not just an American thing.
iowatreat54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 05:10 PM    (permalink
Cigaro
All-NFLDC

Location: Two-thirds of the Earth is covered by water, the other one-third is covered by Luke Kuechly
Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Cigaro is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Oh look, someone doesn't like soccer because they find it boring.

Anyways, who netted the last goal for Spain? Stopped watching after Torres' double.

EDIT: Nevermind, found out who. Anyways, good to see Torres back in form. I like talking **** about Chelsea buying him, but at the same time, I really liked the player he was before his injuries.

Sig by Matthew Jones

Last edited by Cigaro : 06-14-2012 at 05:12 PM.
Old 06-14-2012, 05:12 PM    (permalink
Smooth Criminal
All-NFLDC

Quote:
The ties are only in the group stage. America loves the shoot outs which I actually find to be such an arbitrary way to end a match after 120 mins. But I understand there is really no other option. But I'm probably unlike most Americans, as basketball is my least favorite sport because of all the constant scoring.
Basketball is my least favorite of the major sports as well. It's not the low scoring with soccer that bothered me as much as the tied. Just feels very unsatisfying to watch a game for 2 hours and have them just say tie and go home. Itd be different if it were rare, but it feel practically constant this year.

Old 06-14-2012, 05:12 PM    (permalink
SuperPacker
All-NFLDC

If the MLS was as competitive as some of the European Leagues interest would probably grow. My mate seems to think in 20 years time the MLS will be the biggest league in the world. I don't agree, but don't think it would be bad for the game. If Americans cared as much about soccer as basketball or football their national team could be awesome!

Does the MLS still have that, only 3 top earners rule? I don't understand that, because it could hold the league back in the future.

RIP themaninblack
Old 06-14-2012, 05:14 PM    (permalink
Cigaro
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperPacker View Post
If the MLS was as competitive as some of the European Leagues interest would probably grow. My mate seems to think in 20 years time the MLS will be the biggest league in the world. I don't agree, but don't think it would be bad for the game. If Americans cared as much about soccer as basketball or football their national team could be awesome!

Does the MLS still have that, only 3 top earners rule? I don't understand that, because it could hold the league back in the future.
MLS rules are stupid. They're designed to keep all clubs competitive similar to the salary cap in the NFL, but truthfully the MLS needs to allow rich owners put whatever money they want into clubs(I actually don't think MLS teams have traditional owners), let them get more internationally competitive, and then maybe look at whether those rules should be reinstituted.

Sig by Matthew Jones
Old 06-14-2012, 05:14 PM    (permalink
Rosebud
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Baseball's my least favorite american sport, never been to a game in person, so I'm not willing to say I hate the sport, but it's unwatchable on tv and I never played it growing up, so it's very hard for me to care.

Basketball's tied with Hockey for me in second place behind both Footballs, which are tied for first. The constant scoring makes it weird, because each basket is like a good passing combination for me, so it's like a soccer game with no goals, or a football game with two **** offenses exchanging field goals. But I still get into it for the playoffs and catch a lot of regular season games, especially the past few years when Donnie Walsh gave me faith in a better future for the Knicks.

Also can't say I dislike the penalties. We all love seeing hockey games go to as infinite OTs, but it's just not feasible in soccer since you're not rotating lines to give guys a rest. Plus I'm german, and I loved playing Goalie as a kid, so I love seeing a goalie go one on one with a field player to see who's nerves are strongest.

BK

Quote:
Quote:
Quote: