Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > The Locker Room > Off Topic

Off Topic Almost Anything Goes

Old 08-11-2007, 08:48 AM    (permalink
getwellchad
Veteran

Location: "Hey professor, what's another name for pirate treasure?"
getwellchad hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.getwellchad hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

i think i'm going to cry...i'll just go back to sleep instead
Old 08-11-2007, 10:21 AM    (permalink
rchrd
Veteran

rchrd is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rchrd is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rchrd is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rchrd is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rchrd is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rchrd is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rchrd is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rchrd is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rchrd is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rchrd is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rchrd is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Well Sunderland v Spurs was crap and England are getting twatted in the cricket. Wish i'd gone out instead. At least my Palace boys are winning 4-1 away from home.
Old 08-11-2007, 01:48 PM    (permalink
UKfan
All-Pro

UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Liverpool win with a somewhat fortuitous late goal at Villa Park. We deserved the win on the balance of play but the free kick for our last goal was probably not a free kick in my book.

XBox 360 Gamertag: Bunj1986
UKfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 02:27 PM    (permalink
Race for the Heisman
Veteran

Race for the Heisman is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairRace for the Heisman is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairRace for the Heisman is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairRace for the Heisman is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairRace for the Heisman is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairRace for the Heisman is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairRace for the Heisman is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairRace for the Heisman is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairRace for the Heisman is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairRace for the Heisman is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hairRace for the Heisman is so wise,  like a miniature Buddha covered with hair

Can someone give me support for an argument? I'm currently (not at this minute, obviously) arguing with my coach. He says that the United States has a better soccer team than England, arguing that a lot of England's supposed ability is in their reputations, pointing to their underperformance at major tournaments as support. I'm an American, as I'm sure many here are, but I cannot subscribe to this belief. If you break down the squads, keeper is the only position where I can see equality:

Keepers:
Friedel vs Robinson
Howard vs James
Keller/Hahneman/Guzan vs Kirkland/Carson/Foster

Admittedly, I haven't really followed the soccer world the last couple of months, but I think that's about right, although I know Friedel is retired, and Keller might be as well. Either way, I can't see anything to justify declaring one or the other innately superior.

At almost every other position, I see no contest.

Left back isn't a strength for either team, although I'd take A. Cole over our people. Gary Neville is better than anything we have. Center back is actually one of our better positions with guys like Demerit, Onyewu, Pope, and whoever, but its also England's strongest area with Terry, Ferdinand, Carragher, King, etc.

In midfield, I think we have Donovan, Feilhaber, Bradley, and maybe Beasley or Mapp, perhaps Dempsey starting. Although England's production may not be as efficient as ours, Gerrard, Hargreaves, Lampard, J. Cole, Lennon, and Beckham surely outsource what we have.

Finally, up top we have McBride (retired), Twellman, Landon or Dempsey sometimes, Rolfe, Johnson, Ching, etc. of whom the best (for me at least) is retired. England has Rooney, Owen, Defoe, Bent, Crouch, Ashton, Johnson, surely a better group, right?

So how can anyone argue the opposite?
Race for the Heisman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 02:40 PM    (permalink
rchrd
Veteran

rchrd is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rchrd is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rchrd is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rchrd is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rchrd is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rchrd is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rchrd is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rchrd is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rchrd is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rchrd is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.rchrd is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Race for the Heisman View Post
Can someone give me support for an argument? I'm currently (not at this minute, obviously) arguing with my coach. He says that the United States has a better soccer team than England, arguing that a lot of England's supposed ability is in their reputations, pointing to their underperformance at major tournaments as support. I'm an American, as I'm sure many here are, but I cannot subscribe to this belief. If you break down the squads, keeper is the only position where I can see equality:

Keepers:
Friedel vs Robinson
Howard vs James
Keller/Hahneman/Guzan vs Kirkland/Carson/Foster

Admittedly, I haven't really followed the soccer world the last couple of months, but I think that's about right, although I know Friedel is retired, and Keller might be as well. Either way, I can't see anything to justify declaring one or the other innately superior.

At almost every other position, I see no contest.

Left back isn't a strength for either team, although I'd take A. Cole over our people. Gary Neville is better than anything we have. Center back is actually one of our better positions with guys like Demerit, Onyewu, Pope, and whoever, but its also England's strongest area with Terry, Ferdinand, Carragher, King, etc.

In midfield, I think we have Donovan, Feilhaber, Bradley, and maybe Beasley or Mapp, perhaps Dempsey starting. Although England's production may not be as efficient as ours, Gerrard, Hargreaves, Lampard, J. Cole, Lennon, and Beckham surely outsource what we have.

Finally, up top we have McBride (retired), Twellman, Landon or Dempsey sometimes, Rolfe, Johnson, Ching, etc. of whom the best (for me at least) is retired. England has Rooney, Owen, Defoe, Bent, Crouch, Ashton, Johnson, surely a better group, right?

So how can anyone argue the opposite?
For the record i'm with you but as an argument I think it's hard to qualify either way. I dont quite understand the 'reputations' part though. Players playing regularly at international level dont suddenly become overrated (as it would seem his point is directed to players being overrated by the fact they play for England), in most cases these players have to prove themselves week in week out in the highest levels of competition it's not something they gain for the sake of it.

Just because the US have had some success in a competition format that has seen teams like Greece win things (and freaking Millwall make an FA Cup final appearance domestically) I dont really think that can be a recipe for comparing overall talent levels of teams.

erm yeah...
Old 08-15-2007, 07:24 AM    (permalink
UKfan
All-Pro

UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.UKfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/for...ad.php?t=11960

Soccer draft in case you guys haven't caught it yet, signups still open

Old 08-19-2007, 01:05 PM    (permalink
TCU
All-Pro

TCU is so money.TCU is so money.TCU is so money.TCU is so money.TCU is so money.TCU is so money.TCU is so money.TCU is so money.TCU is so money.TCU is so money.TCU is so money.

Wow Man City at the top of the tables, while Man U has 2 out of 9 points.

former #1 in post count on this site
first to 500 posts
TCU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2007, 01:27 PM    (permalink
UKfan
All-Pro

Liverpool were robbed by the ref today, that was never a penalty in a million years, disgusted!

Old 08-19-2007, 03:47 PM    (permalink
TCU
All-Pro

TCU is so money.TCU is so money.TCU is so money.TCU is so money.TCU is so money.TCU is so money.TCU is so money.TCU is so money.TCU is so money.TCU is so money.TCU is so money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKfan View Post
Liverpool were robbed by the ref today, that was never a penalty in a million years, disgusted!
true but that ref made terrible calls all day long, that was bad but so was that call when Torres dove down when ben hiam didnt even touch him. Im not disagreeing with the penalty that was a bad call but notice how the official was right there on the spot so he has a better view that we did and the ball went right to a totally ummarked Drogba who wasnt going to miss from that range.

first to 500 posts
Old 08-20-2007, 12:53 AM    (permalink
rchrd
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCU View Post
true but that ref made terrible calls all day long, that was bad but so was that call when Torres dove down when ben hiam didnt even touch him. Im not disagreeing with the penalty that was a bad call but notice how the official was right there on the spot so he has a better view that we did and the ball went right to a totally ummarked Drogba who wasnt going to miss from that range.
That sort of misses the point it should've been a foul against Chelsea so Drogba being in position wouldnt have mattered even if the pass was going backwards anyway. It was a horrific decision that killed what up until then was a quality game.
Old 08-20-2007, 11:05 AM    (permalink
UKfan
All-Pro

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/foot...em/6954211.stm

Quote:
Hackett added: "I spoke to Rob this morning and obviously he is extremely disappointed with the decision and admitted he got it wrong. I have left a message with Rafael Benitez to apologise.
"Having looked at a video and seen a better angle and a better view, clearly he (Styles) now recognises that he got it wrong and he's deeply apologetic for that. I think, in fact, he too will be making contact with Liverpool in order to offer his apologies."
Quote:
Referees' chief Keith Hackett told BBC Radio 5live: "It is just like with players, if they miss an open goal they are likely to be dropped."
Ugh, I am still pissed off about this.

Old 08-20-2007, 12:36 PM    (permalink
Addict
All-NFLDC

Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/foot...em/6954211.stm

Ugh, I am still pissed off about this.
don't get too worked up about it. Liverpool was the better team. You'll get-em next time.

Sig by Fenikz

I remember NFLDC
don't tell anyone, but Charlie Casserly is a dope fiend
Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 12:32 AM    (permalink
TCU
All-Pro

yeah Chelsea got extremly lucky with that call but Chelsea are the comeback kings so there is no doubt in my mind that they would have scored and equalizer. Also i found this photo to be amusing.

first to 500 posts
Old 08-22-2007, 04:02 AM    (permalink
UKfan
All-Pro

The fuuny thing is though, compare the 2 trophy cabinets.

Liverpool:
Liverpool Honours
League Champions:
1900-01
1905-06
1921-22
1922-23
1946-47
1963-64
1965-66
1972-73
1975-76
1976-77
1978-79
1979-80
1981-82
1982-83
1983-84
1985-86
1987-88
1989-90
Second Division Champions:
1893-94
1895-96
1904-05
1961-62

Lancashire League Champions:
1892-93
F.A. Cup Winners:
1964-65
1973-74
1985-86
1988-89
1991-92
2000-01

League Cup Winners:
1980-81
1981-82
1982-83
1983-84
1994-95
2000-01

Charity Shield Winners:
1964-65
1965-66
1966-67
1974-75
1976-77
1977-78
1979-80
1980-81
1982-83
1986-87
1988-89
1989-90
1990-91
2000-01

European Cup Winners:
1976-77
1977-78
1980-81
1983-84
2004-05

UEFA Cup Winners:
1972-73
1975-76
2000-01

European Super Cup Winners:

Chelsea:
Premier League Champions2004-05, 2005-06
Division One Champions1954-55
Division Two Champions
1983-84, 1988-89
Division Two Runners Up
1906-07, 1911-12, 1929-30, 1962-63,
1976-77.

FA Cup Winners
1970, 1997, 2000, 2007
FA Cup Finalists1915, 1967, 1994
League Cup Winners1965, 1998, 2005
League Cup Finalists1972
European Cup Winners Cup Winners1971, 1998
European Super Cup Winners
FA Charity Shield Winners
1955, 2000
FA Community Shield Winners2005
Full Members Cup Winners1986
Zenith Data Systems Cup Winners1990

So yeah, clearly the banner owner knows jack about football....

Last edited by UKfan : 08-22-2007 at 04:07 AM.
Old 08-24-2007, 09:46 AM    (permalink
UKfan
All-Pro

http://www.funny-videos.co.uk/videophilbabb.html

OUCH

Old 08-24-2007, 05:25 PM    (permalink
TCU
All-Pro

Ok so your last league title was when?
FA Cup?
League Cup?

Wow 17 years with no league title, i know you have the Champions League 5 times but when you ask anyone what league Liverpool is in they say the EPL which they havent won in 17 years. Other than the miracle in Instanbul Liverpool has nothing to show of late. Granted second in the 2007 CL is better than 3rd but finishing out of the number one spot and having never won the Premiership is terrible.

first to 500 posts
Old 08-24-2007, 05:31 PM    (permalink
UKfan
All-Pro

All the above is true, but surely I still proved Anfield isn't a trophy free zone, heck we actually have the European Cup in our trophy case permanently.

Old 08-25-2007, 11:59 AM    (permalink
nvot9
All-Pro

Location: And it's not even that big of a deal, something like 8% of kids do it.
nvot9 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

That Arsenal game was an awesome one. Someone took down Man City finally. Fabregas with an amazing goal. Hleb on the assist, but as far as I'm concerned, he hurts the team, he always wastes opportunities and gives awful balls into pressure. Arsenal had a ton of opportunities and the majority was played in front of the Man City net, so I think they totally deserved the win, especially considering all their injuries etc. although I will say Kasper Schmeichel REALLY impressed me, the kid looks to be as good as his father once was.

Also, Arsenal's defense was extraordinary, I think that's going to be our strong point, I loved what I saw today from them, at that was without Gallas, Eboue, and Senderos...three of their starting four, also they had to play Silva and Flamini AND Toure out of position, so our D, on paper, was totally out of whack, but they preformed really well.

Jets will not take McFadden...
nvot9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2007, 12:59 PM    (permalink
UKfan
All-Pro

Liverpool are screwed in defence, Carragher may have a broken rib, and Sami Hyypia may have a broken nose. Assuming the worst, that would leave us with starters being Daniel Agger, and I assume Gabriel Paletta, who is as useful as a chocolate teapot. Damn! Oh well, comfortable win for us today.

Old 08-25-2007, 02:13 PM    (permalink
nvot9
All-Pro

Location: And it's not even that big of a deal, something like 8% of kids do it.
nvot9 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Ouch, the Carragher injury in itself is a big blow. And I thought it was gunna be there year too...

Anyone catch that Everton, Blackburn game? Everton looks really really strong, much better than I've ever seen them.

Jets will not take McFadden...
nvot9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 09:44 AM    (permalink
UKfan
All-Pro

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/foot...pe/6964586.stm

Quote:
Spain international Antonio Puerta is in a serious condition after suffering a heart attack in Sevilla's 4-1 Primera Liga win against Getafe on Saturday. The 22-year-old suffered problems midway through the first-half on the opening day of the season in Spain.
Medics prevented Puerta from swallowing his tongue, but he collapsed again after going off and was given cardiac resuscitation before going to hospital.
A medical report on Sunday said Puerta was in intensive care in hospital.
Wow, I Hope he is going to be ok, that's terrible :(

Old 08-26-2007, 11:19 AM    (permalink
UKfan
All-Pro

http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drill...70826-1643.htm

Jamie Carragher broken rib confirmed, and he has developed a pneumothorax, which is basically air trapped in the lungs as I understand it

Old 08-26-2007, 11:55 AM    (permalink
Addict
All-NFLDC

Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Addict is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
http://www.liverpoolfc.tv/news/drill...70826-1643.htm

Jamie Carragher broken rib confirmed, and he has developed a pneumothorax, which is basically air trapped in the lungs as I understand it
>_< not good.

Sig by Fenikz

I remember NFLDC
don't tell anyone, but Charlie Casserly is a dope fiend
Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 03:35 PM    (permalink
rchrd
Veteran

Palace were on tv and lost, Spurs got robbed. Not a great day, at least there's bank holiday monday so no work yay.
Old 08-28-2007, 01:37 PM    (permalink
UKfan
All-Pro

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/foot...pe/6964586.stm

Sevilla midfielder Antonio Puerta has died following his heart attack, RIP.