Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > The Locker Room > Off Topic

Off Topic Almost Anything Goes

Old 01-11-2010, 01:47 PM    (permalink
Twiddler
All-Pro

Twiddler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Twiddler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Twiddler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Twiddler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Twiddler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Twiddler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Twiddler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Twiddler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Twiddler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Twiddler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Twiddler is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Is anyone else going to catch Archer on FX come Thursday? I'm looking forward to it, they had a preview episode (something to that effect) back in fall and it was pretty great.
Old 01-11-2010, 01:58 PM    (permalink
diabsoule
Icon

diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.diabsoule is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twiddler View Post
Is anyone else going to catch Archer on FX come Thursday? I'm looking forward to it, they had a preview episode (something to that effect) back in fall and it was pretty great.
I'm going to watch it. It looks to be pretty damn funny.

Beastly sig by BoneKrusher

Super Bowl XLIV Champions
WHO DAT!

Check out my blog:
www.saturdaynightslant.com

Follow me on Twitter
http://twitter.com/#!/LaSportsDude
diabsoule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 02:33 PM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Archer seems pretty funny.

** RIP themaninblack. You will be missed. **
vidae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 04:03 PM    (permalink
Whistler6
Pro Bowler

Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VoodooMonkey View Post
Watch Chuck and tiVo HIMYM. :p
It's a win-win situation. I read that Chuck's dad Scott Bakula will be back this season as well. That's awesome, especially because his new show Men of a Certain Age with Ray Romano has been really solid on TNT.

Oh snap, that's on tonight too! Atleast it replays on TNT a couple hours later, so it all works out.

Whistler6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 04:15 PM    (permalink
iowatreat54
All-NFLDC

iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

So I just watched the last few episodes of Chuck from last season and then the first 2 from last night. First off, I don't understand how more people don't like it. Sure, it's not a great comedy, but it's still funny. Combine that with some (not really great) action plus many scenes like the one with Sarah and Carina getting dressed for the party, I mean damn. Plus, they have a scene like that with Sarah in pretty much every episode, I don't get it.

Also, I'm glad they decided to handle the jumping of the shark (Chuck + Sarah at the hotel last season) well. The show would go to hell if they actually started "going out".

"You don't need thumbs. My best friend is my brother's dog, he doesn't have any thumbs, he's doin fine."
-Pat Angerer on breaking his thumb.

DJK = Mr. Fun-Haver
Kirk Ferentz = Coach Killjoy
iowatreat54 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 04:22 PM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.vidae is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iowatreat54 View Post
So I just watched the last few episodes of Chuck from last season and then the first 2 from last night. First off, I don't understand how more people don't like it. Sure, it's not a great comedy, but it's still funny. Combine that with some (not really great) action plus many scenes like the one with Sarah and Carina getting dressed for the party, I mean damn. Plus, they have a scene like that with Sarah in pretty much every episode, I don't get it.

Also, I'm glad they decided to handle the jumping of the shark (Chuck + Sarah at the hotel last season) well. The show would go to hell if they actually started "going out".
I don't get why it isn't bigger either. I suppose you could attribute it to the fact that it goes up against some tough competition (HIMYM and House to name a few) and anything that goes up against either of those is probably going to be hurt in the ratings.

As for the Chuck and Sarah thing, I like it but it's beginning to be too much. They need to either get them together or move on from that. This will they or won't they thing is fine, as long as it doesn't dominate every episode. I for one am pulling for them to get together finally and have it be real instead of the stuff we've seen so far.

We'll see how this season plays out on that front I guess.

Old 01-11-2010, 04:22 PM    (permalink
Brodeur
Brother Mouzone
Legend

Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

That wasn't a jump the shark moment. Jumping the shark would be keeping this "will they, won't they" thing going forever.

RIP TheManInBlack
Brodeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 04:23 PM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodeur View Post
That wasn't a jump the shark moment. Jumping the shark would be keeping this "will they, won't they" thing going forever.
I think by the end of the season there will be a definitive answer to this, regardless of if it's picked up for another season. The fans are getting a bit restless.

Old 01-11-2010, 04:33 PM    (permalink
iowatreat54
All-NFLDC

iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.iowatreat54 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Jumping the shark is when the show gets so weak that they do something dumb that pretty much ruins the show. It isn't exactly a jumping the shark, but I use that reference for any show that has the tension filled relationship that is never acted on. Once it happens, the show sucks. Take The Office, for example.

If Chuck and Sarah started going out, the show would be dumb because either they would have to stay together forever or if they break up Sarah would have to leave because the relationship that is integral to the storyline would never be the same and thus ruin part of the show. By that once scene where it shows they have feeling for eachother, but by breaking it off quickly, they still have that close relationship where they both want it, Chuck more openly, but can't act on it. Thus, the storyline maintains it's strength.

http://www.tvguide.com/keywords/jts-they-did-it

Basically that. TV shows succeed on the prolonging of the awkward, tension filled relationships. Once they end the suspense, people don't care anymore.

"You don't need thumbs. My best friend is my brother's dog, he doesn't have any thumbs, he's doin fine."

DJK = Mr. Fun-Haver

Last edited by iowatreat54 : 01-11-2010 at 04:46 PM.
Old 01-11-2010, 04:55 PM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

The Office has still maintained a large audience, even after the Jim and Pam thing ended with them getting together.

And there is a lot more to Chuck than just the Chuck and Sarah dynamic. The action is still great, as is the writing, and the comedy and 80s references are still amazing.

If they don't use the Chuck/Sarah thing to dominate every episode I think it could work out fine. Zach and Yvonne have such great chemistry that it'd be a waste not to use it.

Old 01-11-2010, 05:08 PM    (permalink
iowatreat54
All-NFLDC

Yea, I guess I shouldn't have said people don't care anymore. But the main point is, the show is not nearly as good afterwards. Think about it, the Office season 4 was pretty bad. This season was a little better, but still not even close to how good it used to be.

But my point about Chuck and Sarah wasn't that it is what makes Chuck good, but that it is integral to the story line. The reason Chuck stays safe and does things he does is because of how close Sarah and he are. Like I said, if they get together, it has to be permanent. If they break up or the relationship is damaged, the story line is weakened. Like Chuck said in the 2nd episode last night, the whole reason he does the things he does is because of Sarah. WIthout that relationship, Chuck isn't Chuck.

But I do agree that the relationship shouldn't dominate the show or be in every episode. But as long as the tension filled relationship is "there", it is fine.

DJK = Mr. Fun-Haver
Old 01-11-2010, 05:10 PM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

Right. I guess I'd prefer them to get together and stay there. I do agree that if they get together and then end it, it would make it pretty ****** to watch and damage the story and the overall feel, but something has to be done one way or the other because a lot of people are getting tired of it.

Old 01-11-2010, 05:15 PM    (permalink
Whistler6
Pro Bowler

Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Whistler6 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Yea, I guess I shouldn't have said people don't care anymore. But the main point is, the show is not nearly as good afterwards. Think about it, the Office season 4 was pretty bad. This season was a little better, but still not even close to how good it used to be.

But my point about Chuck and Sarah wasn't that it is what makes Chuck good, but that it is integral to the story line. The reason Chuck stays safe and does things he does is because of how close Sarah and he are. Like I said, if they get together, it has to be permanent. If they break up or the relationship is damaged, the story line is weakened. Like Chuck said in the 2nd episode last night, the whole reason he does the things he does is because of Sarah. WIthout that relationship, Chuck isn't Chuck.

But I do agree that the relationship shouldn't dominate the show or be in every episode. But as long as the tension filled relationship is "there", it is fine.
Well that's an opinon though...I agree earlier seasons like #2 are better than anything else produced, but I loved season 4. Dinner Party is still my favorite episode. They built their show around the Jim and Pam will they-won't they for a couple seasons but now that they are together, I love the show just as much.

Some people think it's lost quality, but this season has been as good as it gets to me. Steve Carrell and Rainn Wilson along with Jenna Fischer beoming an absolute babe, all 3 have never been better.

Old 01-11-2010, 05:15 PM    (permalink
iowatreat54
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by vidae View Post
Right. I guess I'd prefer them to get together and stay there. I do agree that if they get together and then end it, it would make it pretty ****** to watch and damage the story and the overall feel, but something has to be done one way or the other because a lot of people are getting tired of it.
Honestly, it depends on whether or not the show is going to keep going after this season. With the rumors of it being canceled after last season, I really don't know what to expect. If this season doesn't succeed, I see them getting together for the "happily ever after" story. However, if they do foresee another season or two, I fully expect both Chuck and Sarah to "move on" and start seeing other people, while their feelings for eachother are obviously still there but on the backburner.

DJK = Mr. Fun-Haver
Old 01-11-2010, 05:19 PM    (permalink
iowatreat54
All-NFLDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whistler6 View Post
Well that's an opinon though...I agree earlier seasons like #2 are better than anything else produced, but I loved season 4. Dinner Party is still my favorite episode. They built their show around the Jim and Pam will they-won't they for a couple seasons but now that they are together, I love the show just as much.

Some people think it's lost quality, but this season has been as good as it gets to me. Steve Carrell and Rainn Wilson along with Jenna Fischer beoming an absolute babe, all 3 have never been better.
True, it is just my opinion. However, ever since Jim and Pam started dating, the show has drastically changed. Jim rarely, if ever, pranks Dwight. Some of that now is because he's a boss, but it started way before that. That was pretty much a huge part of the show, and has essentially been replaced with the Jim/Pam love storyline. Again, this is just my opinion, but I don't watch the Office for the romantic value. I watch it to laugh, which the Jim and Pam storyline certainly does nothing for me (other than the weekend at Dwight's farm).

DJK = Mr. Fun-Haver
Old 01-11-2010, 05:28 PM    (permalink
Whistler6
Pro Bowler

Quote:
True, it is just my opinion. However, ever since Jim and Pam started dating, the show has drastically changed. Jim rarely, if ever, pranks Dwight. Some of that now is because he's a boss, but it started way before that. That was pretty much a huge part of the show, and has essentially been replaced with the Jim/Pam love storyline. Again, this is just my opinion, but I don't watch the Office for the romantic value. I watch it to laugh, which the Jim and Pam storyline certainly does nothing for me (other than the weekend at Dwight's farm).
Yeah I can't fight you there. Jim needs to get back to pranking on Dwight and being a bit more carefree like in the past. Although being co-manager, married, and having a child would get in the way of that.

The one thing I'm thankful for is I read they that are not going to have a major promotional episode or 2 about their baby's birth like they did for the wedding...That was a couple months ago though now so hopefully it's just a part of an episode and not the full plot. But now on OfficeTally there's supposedly two episodes in which the baby will be born, so oh God brace for that...Uh.

Now Dwight and Ryan teaming up to take down Jim, and Michael continuing to make everything as akward as possible...Those are things I can get behind.

Old 01-11-2010, 05:32 PM    (permalink
iowatreat54
All-NFLDC

Yea, I just don't like that before the Jim/Pam relationship was more about creating pranks, discussing the hilarious absurdity of Michael/the office, etc. Now it is all about how they love eachother and want to succeed in life. How is that entertaining? lol

I agree with you, I'm really looking forward to the Dwight-Ryan team up. I actually kinda like the idea of possible those two now doing "pranks" or things to disrupt the office and make Jim look bad. Idk if that's how they will go with it, but it definitely would have potential to replace the Jim prank playing.

DJK = Mr. Fun-Haver
Old 01-11-2010, 05:45 PM    (permalink
vidae
SWDC Mafia
Legend

At the end of the day people watch shows for different reasons. You might not like the Jim/Pam or Chuck/Sarah storylines but a lot of people do. As long as either of those don't ruin a show for you that is!

Old 01-11-2010, 05:48 PM    (permalink
Whistler6
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by vidae View Post
At the end of the day people watch shows for different reasons. You might not like the Jim/Pam or Chuck/Sarah storylines but a lot of people do. As long as either of those don't ruin a show for you that is!
I've been hanging on the edge of my seat each week waiting for that Shaun and Gus kiss. Jk, but Dule Hill could be the biggest homosexual on the planet and I wouldn be able to resist Psych.

Old 01-11-2010, 05:50 PM    (permalink
iowatreat54
All-NFLDC

I like the Chuck/Sarah storyline, I just don't think it will be nearly as good if they officially get together, especially this early in the show. I was the same way with Jim/Pam before they started dating. I guess I just enjoy awkward tension more than love/romance in stories.

And it's just my opinion, but I really didn't think the Office was supposed to be a romantic comedy. A comedy with some romantic undertones, yes. But the romance of Jim and Pam is starting to take over way too much for my taste.

DJK = Mr. Fun-Haver
Old 01-11-2010, 05:51 PM    (permalink
Brodeur
Brother Mouzone
Legend

Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Brodeur is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
I've been hanging on the edge of my seat each week waiting for that Shaun and Gus kiss. Jk, but Dule Hill could be the biggest homosexual on the planet and I wouldn be able to resist Psych.
Is that some shot at homosexuals or something?

RIP TheManInBlack
Brodeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 05:53 PM    (permalink
iowatreat54
All-NFLDC

Quote:
I absolutely love Dule Hill as an actor. Starting with his days on West Wing where he was absolutely fantastic, and now on Psych. Both characters are hilarious and awesome in their own ways.

I saw Psych before watching West Wing, and was like, "Hey, that's Gus!" I was so used to him hanging around a goofball and being serious yet dorky and funny, that I was surprised at how well he took a serious role (albeit prior to Psych) and interjected some well timed humor.

DJK = Mr. Fun-Haver
Old 01-11-2010, 05:55 PM    (permalink
Whistler6
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Is that some shot at homosexuals or something?
Noooo way, don't take it that way. We were talking about shows being based on relationships (Jim/Pam and Chuck/Sarah). I'm a major Psych fan and saw his Avatar was Dule Hill. I guess the point was Shaun and Gus have an unmatched chemistry in the way Turk and JD did...If they ended up together I'd love the show either way. Their "guy love" (Scrubs) is what makes Psych so flipp'n hilarious.

Old 01-11-2010, 05:55 PM    (permalink
TitleTown088
All-NFLDC

TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TitleTown088 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Season premier of No Reservations tonight.

What do the vikings and marijuana have in common? Every time you put them in a bowl
they get smoked.

2010-2011 Super Bowl Champions
Hint:Not the Bears.
TitleTown088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 05:58 PM    (permalink
Whistler6
Pro Bowler

Quote:
I absolutely love Dule Hill as an actor. Starting with his days on West Wing where he was absolutely fantastic, and now on Psych. Both characters are hilarious and awesome in their own ways.

I saw Psych before watching West Wing, and was like, "Hey, that's Gus!" I was so used to him hanging around a goofball and being serious yet dorky and funny, that I was surprised at how well he took a serious role (albeit prior to Psych) and interjected some well timed humor.
Have you seen that Celebrity Poker showdown show on (I think) either FX or Bravo? It was a few years back and not very good. 5-6 celebs would come together to play and the winner moved on to a TOC with winnings going to charities.

Dule Hill was on there a couple times, and even when not in character the guy was hilarious. Oddly enough the first time I remember seeing him before I became a Psych addict was in Holes, hah.