Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Dallas Cowboys Team Forum

Dallas Cowboys Team Forum Discuss America's Team - How 'bout dem Cowboys!

Old 10-22-2007, 04:30 PM    (permalink
DMWSackMachine
The Truth
Veteran

DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default Bradie James, BABY!!!

Don't know how many people are going to be willing to admit it, but with what has transpired, they damn well should.

After this last game, in which Bradie was legitimately everywhere, I don't know how you could make a case that this guy isn't among the 3 or 4 best ILB in the conference, and playing at a Pro Bowl, or at least near-Pro Bowl, level. They guy has gotten sacks, he is flying to the football, he's lighting people up, running with TEs....he's doing it all. The only complaint that you could legitimately make is that he still looks a little less than fluid in coverage....BUT HE"S A LINEBACKER! That's what is expected out of a LB in coverage, and only the elite few don't have to deal with that.

This guy has been a leader on the defense, he's playing fast, he's gotten his weight down, and he's making plays.

I know its too much to ask for people to admit they were wrong, especially the ones that happened to be wrong about this particular subject, but it really is obvious. This guy is becoming a beast, and I'm loving every minute of it.
He was protecting his self
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjsunstein View Post
From what? His leg?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paranoidmoonduck View Post
That leg has had it out for him since day 1.
"We're the quiet guys, the guys before the storm. And then we hit you."

DeMarcus Ware
DMWSackMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 04:34 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I never avoid crow when I'm wrong.

Still not ready to admit anything on James. Though he was definitely more active than Ayodele yesterday.
D-Unit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 05:02 PM    (permalink
DMWSackMachine
The Truth
Veteran

DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.DMWSackMachine is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Bradie is a perfect example of a player being much less appreciated at home than he is abroad. Lots of posters on NFLDC value and admire James as a good player, and he gets all sorts of hell here because he isn't the second coming of Lee Roy Jordan.

But I wasn't mainly talking about you, D. You have given him some grief, but not nearly as much as a certain dumb*** that will remain unnamed at this time.
Quote:
From what? His leg?
Quote:

DeMarcus Ware
Old 10-22-2007, 05:49 PM    (permalink
DSlay4

He's really developing into our defensive captain, props to him
Old 10-22-2007, 05:50 PM    (permalink
cowboysforever
Veteran

cowboysforever hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMWSackMachine View Post
I don't know how you could make a case that this guy isn't among the 3 or 4 best ILB in the conference.
Division maybe.

Too funny. I heard the same about Royanda Williams, Julia Jones a few years back too.

The list of better ILB is too long to mention. But he is playing better.

Not as lost as last year but also being asked to do more of what he does well ... like Royanda.
cowboysforever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 05:50 PM    (permalink
cowboysforever
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Unit View Post
I never avoid crow when I'm wrong.

Still not ready to admit anything on James. Though he was definitely more active than Ayodele yesterday.

I was wrong about Ayodele. I thought he would do better but he seems invisibile.
Old 10-22-2007, 05:51 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.D-Unit is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

There are a lot of other LBs out there in the NFL that I'd rather have, but he's what we got, so I hope he continues to make the best out of it.

(the mentality that I wish Roy bashers would have)
Old 10-22-2007, 05:52 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboysforever View Post
I was wrong about Ayodele. I thought he would do better but he seems invisibile.
I was pumped when we signed him. Not so pumped right now. . .
Old 10-22-2007, 05:55 PM    (permalink
cowboysforever
Veteran

Quote:
I was pumped when we signed him. Not so pumped right now. . .
Well, my read is he was blossoming late last year in the BP Read-React scheme. Even started to play zone defense adequately.

But as most fannies wanted, we went to a more attacking scheme and now we are where we are on personnel decisions. I had made some of these same points in January when I stopped posting and others made similar.

Again, gotta blame someone for not being the D we expected. Coach, GM or Players. Pick.

Lord knows 7 First Rounders and 3 High Priced FA should get us something a little tighter. But to me, it is the GM and the substantive pilosophical shifts in Defensive Schemes over a 5 year period.

Campo to Parcells to Wade is disjointed. The mix of players is also so.

To me, press corners like TNew and In-the-box Safeties like Roy fit an attacking style team in the Jimmy Johnson mold. TNew to provide the man coverage which frees you up to blitz ALOT. Roy Williams to complement the smaller but much faster LBs. LBers that can cover like Randall Godfrey, Dat Nguyen, Coakley etc.......

The DL guys we have are classic 2 GAPers. DEs that are really tall and 300lbs plus. Stout NT, at least Fergie. Johnson and Ratliff is more a 3-4 DE or a Tampa II type DT. But overall, these are big burly guys. Not some 275lbs off the corner DE. Ellis is the only holdover of the protypical 4-3 DE.

The LBers are classic BP guys. OLB blitz some but must be able to cover. ILB run thumpers but must be able to play Zone Coverage. A few of these guys are good enuff to play either 3-4 or 4-3. Ware, Carpenter and Bradie could be 4-3 guys. I think Ayodele is 3-4 ILB, Spencer is a 4-3 DE and Burnett is a perfect 4-3 OLB -- not a swell suited for the 3-4 BP style. Carp is not WP 3-4 guy in any way and neither is Ayodele yet SPencer is a 3-4 WP OLB.

Anyway, that is my read. Clearly these guys can play other schemes and are talented but I would say we have a roster of D players that are a miss mash of talent. better suited for certain schemes

Last edited by cowboysforever : 10-22-2007 at 06:15 PM.
Old 10-22-2007, 06:05 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Well, my read is he was blossoming late last year in the BP Read-React scheme. Even started to play zone defense adequately.

But as most fannies wanted, we went to a more attacking scheme and now we are where we are on personnel decisions. I had made some of these same points in January when I stopped posting and others made similar.

Again, gotta blame someone for not being the D we expected. Coach, GM or Players. Pick.

Lord knows 7 First Rounders and 3 High Priced FA should get us something a little tighter. But to me, it is the GM and the substantive pilosophical shifts in Defensive Schemes over a 5 year period.

Campo to Parcells to Wade is disjointed. The mix of players is also so.
Yeah, but was that avoidable?
Old 10-22-2007, 06:28 PM    (permalink
cowboysforever
Veteran

Quote:
Yeah, but was that avoidable?
Uh, yes. Get a GM who knows the difference and has some philosophical conviction

I mean if you invest 7 First Rounders, 3 Big Ticket FAs, Resign a 4th Rounder for big money and pick up two brand name FA (Hamlin and Tank) ......... you should try to do this in context to a scheme you beleive in. Not flavor of the month D Coordinator who want something new.

Jerry made such noise about finding a coach familiar with "3-4" and ended up with a 46 coach. Results show in our performance and players "getting accustomed with the scheme." Happily we played the weakest part of the schedule early on. But the coverage schemes and our blitz are anything but OK to Good. Not very good or excellent.

Giants this year changed DC and they picked a guy who fits their personnel perfectly. Took them some games to figure it out but they are playing really well. But the GM knew enuff to know "get a D Coorindator to fit the scheme." He even knew enuff to go CB b/c it was a pressing/ attacking scheme where corner play is key (Ross).

So .......... yes, very avoidable Should have gotten a 3-4 Read React DC or HC. In 2002, at least it was clear Jerry was going a whole new direction when he picked BP. We knew the roster was being turned over.

Last edited by cowboysforever : 10-22-2007 at 06:47 PM.
Old 10-22-2007, 07:47 PM    (permalink
D-Unit
DC Administrator
Legend

Quote:
Uh, yes. Get a GM who knows the difference and has some philosophical conviction

I mean if you invest 7 First Rounders, 3 Big Ticket FAs, Resign a 4th Rounder for big money and pick up two brand name FA (Hamlin and Tank) ......... you should try to do this in context to a scheme you beleive in. Not flavor of the month D Coordinator who want something new.

Jerry made such noise about finding a coach familiar with "3-4" and ended up with a 46 coach. Results show in our performance and players "getting accustomed with the scheme." Happily we played the weakest part of the schedule early on. But the coverage schemes and our blitz are anything but OK to Good. Not very good or excellent.

Giants this year changed DC and they picked a guy who fits their personnel perfectly. Took them some games to figure it out but they are playing really well. But the GM knew enuff to know "get a D Coorindator to fit the scheme." He even knew enuff to go CB b/c it was a pressing/ attacking scheme where corner play is key (Ross).

So .......... yes, very avoidable Should have gotten a 3-4 Read React DC or HC. In 2002, at least it was clear Jerry was going a whole new direction when he picked BP. We knew the roster was being turned over.
Your suggestion is to get a new GM? OK well, there's a dead end street for ya. Guess you'll have to suffer in your misery.

I have no complaints with Wade as our HC. I actually prefer his scheme over Parcells'. You should've known better if you thought Wade wasn't going to bring some turn over. That should've been apparent from the first pick of the draft in taking Spencer.
Old 10-22-2007, 09:33 PM    (permalink
cowboysforever
Veteran

Quote:
Your suggestion is to get a new GM? OK well, there's a dead end street for ya. Guess you'll have to suffer in your misery.
I was answering your question D-Unit. You asked was it avoidable. I said absolutely. Get a real GM.

That I suffer Jerry as a Cowboy fan. Very much so. I consider myself a very analytical fan with some background so inconsistencies in approach to building a squad really bothers me.

Quote:
I have no complaints with Wade as our HC.
He is doing OK. Has been outcoached a few times however.

Regardless, he is what he is. There where no unknowns with Wade so from that sense he is doing what I expect.

I hope he does well but all to often I see a brighter Barry Switzer on the sidelines.

Quote:
I actually prefer his scheme over Parcells'.
Well, to quote another posters facts ..... Wade's playoff teams are 5-11 and give up over 25 PPG. Even when they win 19PPG. BP's team are 12-9 and give up a little more than 15 PPG, 9PPG when they win.

The point being WP's Schemes are less effective in the playoffs because simply "going after the QB" works better when the opposing teams suck. When the teams are good and have good Offenses...... not so much.

Not sayin we can't win b/c we have great talent but I think it takes some nuance and brains to get there. Wade's insistence on his scheme sometimes seems as bizarre as BP's insistence on his.

Evidence the Giants and New England games where we gave up tons of points. Blitzing like drunken sailors. Safeties biting all over the place. Playing too much Base D and not enuff Dime. Using Bradie and Akin in Dime. Roy and Ellis in coverage.

But hey, one game we outscored them (Giants) and the other we could not ..... much like WP's playoff wins. As stated, WP's playoff wins came from outscoring his opponents. Parcells out defensed his opponents in his wins.

Speaks more to BP as a D guy than Wade.

Quote:
You should've known better if you thought Wade wasn't going to bring some turn over. That should've been apparent from the first pick of the draft in taking Spencer.
I think you are further making my central point. The fact our D is not playing to potential comes from a miss mash of players who have been obtained over the course of three defensive philosophies.

Not that these players are not talented, they are, but the fact they are not in a system that suits their talents is the central fault, and at the end of the day this problem starts with the GM who BY DESIGN changed the Defense 3 times in 5 years.

Jerry spoke a great deal about finding a 3-4 Coordinator but he did not. WP by all smart folks opinions is a 46 guy. We did not have 46 personnel.

So if Jerry was thinking Super Bowl NOW then how does it make sense???????

Or maybe, it is that Jerry does not really understand the difference between finding players to scheme versus just finding players????????

New England is the perfect example of a team who finds players to scheme and as much as I hate them it explains the below average talent on the Defense yet positive results.

Anyway, I wish Wade the best. He was hired to "do his thing" so I hope he does. This includes getting D players to fit his scheme. The GM needs to find WP the players he needs to coach his way .... GM also needs to get rid of who don't fit.

But please, next time, Jerry, if you talk about SB next year you should try to replace Coaches with "like models." Ferrari is a great engine. So is Lamborghini. Retrofitting one into the other is just silly.
Old 10-22-2007, 10:03 PM    (permalink
Burns336
Pro Bowler

Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336

Quote:
Bradie is a perfect example of a player being much less appreciated at home than he is abroad. Lots of posters on NFLDC value and admire James as a good player, and he gets all sorts of hell here because he isn't the second coming of Lee Roy Jordan.

But I wasn't mainly talking about you, D. You have given him some grief, but not nearly as much as a certain dumb*** that will remain unnamed at this time.
Don't know if you are referring to me or rob, but ill respond either way.

I've got a bigger problem with having both James and Ayodele in the game (similar skill sets), than I do against James himself.

I think a combination such as Bradie and Burnett would fit better.

James has been playing good lately. He is above average - great against the run and he is doing ok so far this year in coverage. I dont know if this is due to him losing weight, or due to a different scheme that doesn't involve roy and james being responsible for the TE for a majority of the game.

I still think it would be to our advantage to have a ILB in the game who is above average as far as linebackers go when it comes to his coverage ability and for me that guy is Burnett. Sure it's great to see him in there for nickle and dime packages, but I also think he provides a better pass rush than Ayodele or James. From what I've seen, he is quick off the ball and creates good pressure, where as Bradie pass rush skills are so-so and Akin's are practically nonexistent.

Go ahead and leave Bradie in there, Im satisfied with what he can provide against the run. He's a much better player at this weight and I like him better than Ayodele, but get Burnett in there with him. It provide's more versatility and allows us to do some different things that we cant do right now such as Blitz roy off of the corners more and leave burnett in mid range coverage.
Burns336 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 10:06 PM    (permalink
cowboysforever
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burns336 View Post
Don't know if you are referring to me or rob, but ill respond either way.

I've got a bigger problem with having both James and Ayodele in the game (similar skill sets), than I do against James himself.

I think a combination such as Bradie and Burnett would fit better.

James has been playing good lately. He is above average - great against the run and he is doing ok so far this year in coverage. I dont know if this is due to him losing weight, or due to a different scheme that doesn't involve roy and james being responsible for the TE for a majority of the game.

I still think it would be to our advantage to have a ILB in the game who is above average as far as linebackers go when it comes to his coverage ability and for me that guy is Burnett. Sure it's great to see him in there for nickle and dime packages, but I also think he provides a better pass rush than Ayodele or James. From what I've seen, he is quick off the ball and creates good pressure, where as Bradie pass rush skills are so-so and Akin's are practically nonexistent.

Go ahead and leave Bradie in there, Im satisfied with what he can provide against the run. He's a much better player at this weight and I like him better than Ayodele, but get Burnett in there with him. It provide's more versatility and allows us to do some different things that we cant do right now such as Blitz roy off of the corners more and leave burnett in mid range coverage.
I am all aboard with this.
Old 10-23-2007, 11:09 AM    (permalink
DMWSackMachine
The Truth
Veteran

I wasn't talking about you Burns, although you have been highly critical. I can accept most of what you just said. HOWEVER, how many LBers can really cover in this league? Bradie is going to get beat going up against TEs and RBs (not to mention WRs) because that's what happens when you get a linebacker in coverage! This is not a particular weakness of Bradie, but rather something that comes with the position. He can cover well in short zones and has been playing very intelligently, making his reads and flowing to the ball. Also don't know where you get the idea that he is just average as a pass rusher. From what I have seen he has been terrific. 2 sacks, an oh-so-close miss against Tom Brady on a key 3rd down, and several other pressures so far this year suggest that he is an excellent pass rusher from his ILB position.

I think that Bradie is on his way to becoming a stalwart for us for a long time, and his play this year has shown that he has a strong future here.

Ayodele is a different matter. I haven't seen him make one play this whole year. Not a tipped pass, not a big hit, not a TD-saving tackle, not an INT, FF, or FR......nothing. He has really been invisible. Surprising, because he was coming on big time in the second half of last year while Bradie was looking worse and worse. Hard to believe. I wouldn't be opposed to trying Burnett or Carp next to Bradie, but I think we all know that isn't going to happen.
Quote:
From what? His leg?
Quote:

DeMarcus Ware
Old 10-23-2007, 01:52 PM    (permalink
cowboysforever
Veteran

I will say the following about this debate. IMHO

One of the reasons Bradie blitzs more is that he is schemed to do so. Since he does play "in-the-box" pass coverage and stays close to the LOS ... ergo he is free to blitz when he sees the opportunity.

Ayodele, on the other hand, is better at coverage than Bradie. So he is schemed to play coverge moreso than be the free guy in the blitz. The "Donnie Edwards" of first and second down until personnel changes.

Regardless, Bradie is not good in zone or anything regarding coverage. but he is making some plays in role. Ayodele to DMW's point (and Burns) is not making any plays.

Fact is our starting ILB (both of them) make no plays in coverage. When including Roy Williams we compound our weaknesses with coverage schemes.

3 of the 7 guys with coverage roles (exclude 1 LBer called Ellis) are inept. Hamlin is just OK as a FS. Henry is ok as a CB. Ware is usually the 5th blitzer in spite of being the best cover guy they have at LB.

You can not expect to play excellent Defense with these personnel conditions. Evidence: New England and the Giants. Evidence last year's collapse. That has been my point and I suspect Burns' point.

Going forward, I see good teams with good QB simply exploiting this situation until WP makes some personnel changes.
Old 10-23-2007, 03:03 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Ive never understood why you guys don't like James that much. I think he's a great player.

But Pro Bowl? No, he's not at that level. He's not even the best MIKE in the NFC East.

Antonio Pierce, and London Fletcher are both playing better than him. But thats taking nothing away from him, because he's having a great season.

EDIT: I noticed Akin gets alot of grief too. I like him too. Is he really that bad? I like both Bradie and Ayodele.

Last edited by bigbluedefense : 10-23-2007 at 03:08 PM.
bigbluedefense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 03:09 PM    (permalink
Ravens1991
Team Leader
Icon

Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Ravens1991 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

This kind of goes with this thread.

Does Bobby Carpenter get playing time at ILB, I thought he was going to be good on draft day.
Old 10-23-2007, 03:50 PM    (permalink
Burns336
Pro Bowler

Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336 Burns336

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post
Ive never understood why you guys don't like James that much. I think he's a great player.

But Pro Bowl? No, he's not at that level. He's not even the best MIKE in the NFC East.

Antonio Pierce, and London Fletcher are both playing better than him. But thats taking nothing away from him, because he's having a great season.

EDIT: I noticed Akin gets alot of grief too. I like him too. Is he really that bad? I like both Bradie and Ayodele.
Its not that Akin is bad, but he isn't good. He doesn't do anything to stick out. He came here being touted as a big hitter who could make some plays and force some turnovers and he hasn't. He wraps up and makes the plays that he should make, but I would say he is a bit of a let down from what I was expecting.

I just thing Burnett could make more game changing plays than Ayodele and just about everytime we send Burnett on a blitz he gets within inches of the QB.

DMW, maybe I am too critical of James blitzing capabilities, but I am using Burnett as a measuring stick. I guess I have to take into consideration that Burnett Benefits from a 4 man line when he is rushing but he always seems to get in the backfield when he is sent. I think he's probably within inches of having 4 or 5 sacks this season and although they may not show up on the stat sheet he is still forcing the QB to make quick throws which is the next best thing.

On the question about carpenter -- We're still waiting on that one. To his defense he hasn't been given a fair chance, but it is frustrating to see a first rounder sitting on the side lines. It makes you wonder if maybe he just isn't that good or if he doesn't fit this attacking style of D.
Burns336 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 07:00 PM    (permalink
LonghornsLegend
Legend

LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.LonghornsLegend is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravens1991 View Post
This kind of goes with this thread.

Does Bobby Carpenter get playing time at ILB, I thought he was going to be good on draft day.
He is more in the mold of Bill Parcells 3-4 then Wade Phillips, say for instance, had we had Wade a year earlier, Manny Lawson over him would of made more sense...I think Carp is still smart and athletic enough to make it happen, but I for one would really love to see him out there in a real game and see if he can make some plays...I think he can cover, its just how he attacks the qb, reads the play and gets off blockers...I hope he gets a chance to suceed or fail with us before we part ways with him, we have given Spears opportunity on end, and Carp has yet to start, says alot about our LB depth, and alot about Carp as well

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wright View Post
I guarantee that if someone picks Cam Newton in the Top 5 they will regret it.
LonghornsLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 07:31 PM    (permalink
cowboysforever
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonghornsLegend View Post
He is more in the mold of Bill Parcells 3-4 then Wade Phillips, say for instance, had we had Wade a year earlier, Manny Lawson over him would of made more sense...I think Carp is still smart and athletic enough to make it happen, but I for one would really love to see him out there in a real game and see if he can make some plays...I think he can cover, its just how he attacks the qb, reads the play and gets off blockers...I hope he gets a chance to suceed or fail with us before we part ways with him, we have given Spears opportunity on end, and Carp has yet to start, says alot about our LB depth, and alot about Carp as well
Here here.
Old 10-24-2007, 11:16 AM    (permalink
DMWSackMachine
The Truth
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbluedefense View Post

My point was not to say that he is going to the Pro Bowl, but rather that he is playing on a level that is commensurate with--or close to--that of what you expect out of a player that makes the Pro Bowl.

I think he's been every bit as good as Pierce so far this year, though I would still take Peirce if given the choice between the two, and just a tad behind what Fletcher is doing (when is that freak going to slow down?).

As for ever making the Pro Bowl, when you have the likes of Urlacher in your conference, you are not going to make many of them, because one spot is already taken. That leaves everyone else fighting over one more position, which obviously means that deserving players will be left out.

Still, among all ILBs this year, I would put Bradie only behind Urlacher, Willis, and Fletcher, and around the same as Barnett and Peirce. Given how reviled he was going into this season, that is an amazing statement by itself.
Quote:
From what? His leg?
Quote:

DeMarcus Ware
Old 10-24-2007, 11:40 AM    (permalink
cowboysforever
Veteran

Quote:
Still, among all ILBs this year, I would put Bradie only behind Urlacher, Willis, and Fletcher, and around the same as Barnett and Peirce. Given how reviled he was going into this season, that is an amazing statement by itself.
Barnett and Pierce are better. Willis, not so sure, being a rookie.
Old 10-24-2007, 11:55 AM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
My point was not to say that he is going to the Pro Bowl, but rather that he is playing on a level that is commensurate with--or close to--that of what you expect out of a player that makes the Pro Bowl.

I think he's been every bit as good as Pierce so far this year, though I would still take Peirce if given the choice between the two, and just a tad behind what Fletcher is doing (when is that freak going to slow down?).

As for ever making the Pro Bowl, when you have the likes of Urlacher in your conference, you are not going to make many of them, because one spot is already taken. That leaves everyone else fighting over one more position, which obviously means that deserving players will be left out.

Shoot, I liked him last year. The weight loss has definately helped him, but even before that I always liked his game. People just don't understand, you can't ask a run thumping sledgehammer like James to cover people like Gates toe to toe. Thats not happening. But that doesn't make him suck either.

He covered his zones well, was great against the run, I never had a problem with him. Now with the weight loss, he's even more fluid in coverage.

I personally like Akin Ayodele as well. He's just not a great fit for this new scheme, but he was perfect for BP's system, and people forget that when he was signed, thats what he was brought in for. Burnett brings more to the table in Wade's defense, but with Fergie out, chances are he wants more run cloggers in the middle to make up for it, hence you see Akin and not Burnett inside.

*shrug*