Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > New York Jets Team Forum

New York Jets Team Forum Discuss the J-E-T-S

Old 10-24-2007, 07:23 PM    (permalink
BroadwayJoe10
Veteran

BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.
Default Vilma out for the season?

I know there have been a few new threads, but I felt this is absolutely huge news. It was just taken from rotoworld;

The New York Daily News reports ILB Jonathan Vilma may be in danger of missing the rest of the season due to a "significant" knee injury.
In an odd back-and-forth between Vilma and Eric Mangini, the coach has said his star inside linebacker is hurt, while Vilma himself denies he's injured at all. Vilma only rotated in during the second half of New York's Week 7 loss. He may have been playing through a torn or partially torn ligament in the knee. Rookie David Harris will join the starting linuep while Vilma is out.

I can't beleive that mangini would bench the defensive captain for the rest of the season for talking out about his non-injury. I can't really get a grasp on this.

"When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time."
BroadwayJoe10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 07:55 PM    (permalink
TimD
All-Pro

TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.TimD is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I smell Hugh Douglas all over again. Parcells gets rid of an elite player because he doesn't fit the system, and it seems as if Mangini is going to do the same (possibly twice with DRobertson)
Old 10-24-2007, 08:04 PM    (permalink
Bills2083
All-Pro

Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bills2083 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Thats interesting. If they put him on IR, is he allowed to be traded?

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyboy
my lord...I cannot imagine such a world where I can mention Raymell Rice's thighs around a girl and not be the only one sexually aroused
Quote:
But for everyone reading this in Buffalo and Cleveland and everywhere else, take solace in the following: As crazy as it sounds, you're lucky. Your Mount Everest experience is still ahead of you. It's waiting, and it's glorious.- Bill Simmons
Bills2083 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 08:05 PM    (permalink
Zim3031
Pro Bowler

Zim3031 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Wow, even if we want to trade him, which I believe Tannenbaum will in the offseason, a bad knee injury would be awful for his trade value.
Old 10-24-2007, 08:10 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Id be willing to give the Giants 1st rounder for him. I think he's better than any LB available in this draft, and he's young, so Id do that trade in a heartbeat.
Old 10-24-2007, 08:11 PM    (permalink
CannedToast
Rookie

CannedToast hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

I'm so sick of being a damn Jets fan, lately. If it wasn't for Coles, Vilma, Cotchery and Rhodes, I'd be gone. And now, apparently, Vilma is closer to being gone, and Coles was talking about retiring last off season. ******* Jets.
CannedToast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 08:26 PM    (permalink
BroadwayJoe10
Veteran

BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.BroadwayJoe10 is so money.

Yaa, to me itd be like mattingly coming in and getting rid of jeter becuase he has no range anymore. Not quite to that extent, but i hate the idea of getting rid of a superstar, a very young superstar for a pick that could be nothing. The farthest place that i would ever move vilma would be to strong safety. Personally i dont see why he couldn't play it. But anyways, I just think there would be a huge fallout of jets fans if mangini got rid of vilma, not so much drob. Not so much at all with drob for me haha.

"When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time."
Old 10-24-2007, 08:31 PM    (permalink
CannedToast
Rookie

I really don't care at all about D-Rob. But, honestly, if we not only trade Vilma, but treat him like **** on the way out... I don't even know what I'll do, but I definitely won't have any good thoughts left for Tangini.
Old 10-24-2007, 09:05 PM    (permalink
BroadwayJoe10
Veteran

I hope tommorrow that there is a report saying all reports came back negative, becuase if there isnt something structurally wrong with his knee there is no way vilma could keep his mouth shut about that, nor would I expect him to. Anyways, I hope its just a rumor and he'll play the rest of the year and years to come on the jets.

Old 10-24-2007, 09:57 PM    (permalink
nvot9
All-Pro

Location: And it's not even that big of a deal, something like 8% of kids do it.
nvot9 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Are you sure that Mangini is benching Vilma for speaking out about his injury, and not for the simple fact that well, he's injured? I have a tough time believing that this is true...time will tell I guess, thanks for the heads up..

Jets will not take McFadden...
nvot9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2007, 10:06 PM    (permalink
BroadwayJoe10
Veteran

Well he didn't bench him in the game because ha hadn't had the time to speak out until after the game. That having been said, I have a hard time getting my head around the idea of mangini saying vilma has an injury without him actually having one. THe only thing i can think of is he was trying to make an excuse so the media did jump all over the fact he wasn't playing and possibly falling out of grace with the media and then trade rumors start all over. I guess only those two will really know, but like you said only time will tell.

Old 10-25-2007, 10:50 AM    (permalink
AlexDown
Pro Bowler

AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.

I don't see news of this anywhere at all....
Old 10-25-2007, 10:53 AM    (permalink
bsaza2358
Arch-Bishop
Icon

bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I don't even see the Rotoworld post you're speaking of. Interesting development.

I am "America's Poster"... http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/for...9&postcount=25

bsaza2358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 10:58 AM    (permalink
bsaza2358
Arch-Bishop
Icon

bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bsaza2358 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I just talked to my friend who is a huge Jets fan. He has confirmed that Vilma is now on IR and out for the season. Announced today on the radio.

I am "America's Poster"... http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/for...9&postcount=25

bsaza2358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 01:25 PM    (permalink
AlexDown
Pro Bowler

AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.AlexDown could make a wolverine purr.

Still no report on ESPN. I figured that it would be on there by now if its real.
Old 10-25-2007, 02:31 PM    (permalink
The Great Jonathan Vilma
Team Leader
Pro Bowler

The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.The Great Jonathan Vilma is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

i've seen it posted also that he is done for the season with a knee injury. This is the first i've heard about the Mangini thing, but if it's true i will be angered beyond belief. i'm going to hold judgement right now, but the simple fact regardless is that Mangini needs to get his head out of his ass and do some decent coaching. Stop being a dick and go to what your strengths are. Sick of it!!

How big is Mangini's ego?? anyone?

Courtesy of Fenikz - Much Appreciated

Quote:
Originally Posted by dRaFtDoRk View Post
You can't be a good corner if no one throws your way. Thats my way of seeing it.
The Great Jonathan Vilma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 04:59 PM    (permalink
jets rooter

the jets will have to move hobson[where he really belongs] inside.paired with harris.the outside linebackers would be thomas and barton.I think that that lineup would succeed without losing a beat.bench robertson and sign grady jackson.he would be a big plus over robertson at nose tackle.next years draft would be a different story.the jets should draft shawn crable o.l.b in the second round to replace barton.
Old 10-25-2007, 05:02 PM    (permalink
derza222
All-Pro

derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.derza222 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Not sure about Grady Jackson because he is old and out of shape, but that is actually exactly, EXACTLY what I want to do with the linebackers if Vilma is seriously injured or we get rid of him for some reason.
derza222 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 07:26 PM    (permalink
BroadwayJoe10
Veteran

that is absolutely what i have wanted to do with him for a while, as im sure i think a lot of people on here have mentioned. I honestly would love to see vilma try his hand as a SS but that could just be me. I know grady jackson is outta shape and reknown for being lazy, but he could be a good stop gap for atleast this year and maybe next. With pouha as a backup who has somewhat impressed a few times this year, i mean he couldn't do much worse than drob, that would allow us to trade Drob and wait until Raji comes out the following year or someone else. Time will tell what happens, but this could let us see a lot more of harris than we previously would have, as well as maybe let the staff know that hobson is better inside than out.

Old 10-25-2007, 08:50 PM    (permalink
hcbrad08
Veteran

hcbrad08 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

This story is very real... I haven't heard the radio reports that he is out for the season just that season ending surgury may be an option. I don't know why people are so upset about this...I love Vilma, but really this is the best scenario for his mismatch with our defense. BC he's injured we now have a reason to trade him other than he doesnt fit...now mangini and can remain stubborn as opposed to tweaking the defense to suit a player who does not fit at all. I think there are a handful of teams who need ILBs who would say: Rookie or 25 year old who is a proven beast in 4-3 coming off of knee surgury? (which is becomming more and more routine...people have some surguries and come back a few weeks later) I'll go Vilma. So I could see a buyer in the 1st round but at the very least the Jets may be able to get a high 2nd rounder.

Also, I've started developing a enmity toward Vilma bc he goes on radio shows and talks about the superbowl and probowl about his under armor commercials and until kerry rhodes started coming up he was the most hollywood on our team and still is the most boisterous about it. I don't like guys who aren't team players and I know vilma is a good team player and leader on the field but in the offseason he is one of the many NFL players who goes to miami to train as opposed to training with the team something Ive never been a fan of. I like Vilmas playmaking and ability to make up for his size in the 43 with speed instincts and power but hes no longer our guy. He's gone and now the Jets may be able to settle for a sstop gap measure such as Grady Jackson and backup Pouha while trading Drob to a team needing a one gap DT in a 43 until Raji comes out bc with bigger LBs the defense will work more efficiently. For those who talk about Jacksons age and laziness i point to keith traylor whos like 94 years old and would be more effective in our system now at the tail end of his career than D-Rob would be even on pass rushing downs. (exagerrated but true in essence) I would welcome those moves offseason trades of DRob Vilma and a signing of Grady Jackson bc of the lack of a true quality NT in the draft.

VILMA AS A JET-RIP Ill be routing for whoever you play with unless its the patriots

Exactly Why The Jets are the Coolest Team in the NFL:

http://kissingsuzykolber.uproxx.com/...x-in-town.html

http://kissingsuzykolber.uproxx.com/...e-for-you.html
hcbrad08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 10:12 AM    (permalink
genom

Sadly, our defense is about to get much much better. I've always been a huge fan of Vilma, but unfortunately he is rendered absolutely useless in this system. i think our defense will improve drastically with free agency and the draft.
Old 10-26-2007, 11:00 AM    (permalink
CannedToast
Rookie

What the hell are you talking about. Vilma has been playing very well for someone with a guard on him 50% of the time.
Old 10-26-2007, 11:43 AM    (permalink
genom

Quote:
Originally Posted by CannedToast View Post
What the hell are you talking about. Vilma has been playing very well for someone with a guard on him 50% of the time.
Vilma has had a guard on him more than 50 percent of the time. And that right there is the exact problem he can neither shed or avoid blocks and thus he is useless in this system..
Old 10-26-2007, 11:51 AM    (permalink
CannedToast
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by genom View Post
Vilma has had a guard on him more than 50 percent of the time. And that right there is the exact problem he can neither shed or avoid blocks and thus he is useless in this system..
The goal of the system isn't to have a guard on a ILB... the goal of the system is to have a huge NT and two big DE's who could normally take up double teams.

Vilma has still played bloody brilliant in coverage, and made some amazing tackles and plays. We're definitely not going to be any better on defense because we've lost him.
Old 10-26-2007, 01:10 PM    (permalink
genom

You're right he has done well in coverage, but his tackling has at times been horrendous this year. I can recall several instances of him getting completely faked out by running backs. Getting run over by Brandon Jacobs also comes to mind. This is not the same Jonathon Vilma, at least not in this system