Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Chicago Bears Team Forum

Chicago Bears Team Forum Discuss Ditka and Da Bears

Old 10-28-2007, 03:14 PM    (permalink
Smokey Joe
All-Pro

Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default 07-08 Season Done: Offseason Checklist

In no particular order...
  • competent franchise QB
  • LT, OLine in general
  • A safety who doesn't suck
  • A better compliment to go along with Benson (Wolfe is likely a wasted pick)
  • WR?
  • Offensive Coordinator

^Thanks to Eaglez.Fan for the sweet sig!

Smokey Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 06:02 PM    (permalink
toonsterwu
Legend

toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

The only positions I wouldn't look would be DE, CB. Depending on what happens with Briggs, LB may be an area we can pass on as well. Everything else should be open.
toonsterwu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 07:18 PM    (permalink
Smokey Joe
All-Pro

Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think you can add that TE doesn't really need to be addressed as well.

Old 10-28-2007, 08:32 PM    (permalink
Bearsfan123
Pro Bowler

Bearsfan123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bearsfan123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bearsfan123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bearsfan123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bearsfan123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bearsfan123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bearsfan123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bearsfan123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bearsfan123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bearsfan123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Bearsfan123 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

-Upgrade O-line
-Find a franchise QB
-Find a starting Rb
-Get a competent Safety
-Offensive Coordinator
-Start grooming Moose's replacement and #1 WR

Whitney Mercilus will be a better and more productive player than Shea McClellin

In Tyler We Trust

Welcome to Project Mayhem

This was stolen, and I appreciate it.
Jimmy Buckets <3
Bearsfan123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 08:45 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
The Professor (Hall of Famer)
Legend

bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokey Joe View Post
I think you can add that TE doesn't really need to be addressed as well.
And special teams.

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.
bearsfan_51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 09:08 PM    (permalink
Smokey Joe
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearsfan123 View Post
-Upgrade O-line
-Find a franchise QB
-Find a starting Rb
-Get a competent Safety
-Offensive Coordinator
-Start grooming Moose's replacement and #1 WR
we have a starting RB. It doesn't matter who you put in our backfield, with this swinging gate of an offensive line, the running game will look bad, period. We do however need a better compliment/backup then Peterson.

Old 10-28-2007, 09:16 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
Legend

bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I like what I've seen out of Peterson this year quite frankly.

Considering the other needs on this team I would put runningback pretty low, or at least nowhere near the top. Benson/Peterson/Wolfe doesn't scare anyone, but they're young and can improve with time and a better line I believe.

Quarterback, Offensive Tackle (preferably left so Tait can move back), safety (at least one and hope someone else steps up), and wide reciever should all be addressed before runningback. Depending on what happens with Briggs and Berrian could affect that.

Honestly I don't think team is THAT bad, they just need an attitude shift and to re-tool a bit.

We need to get younger, hungrier, and deeper. It's the challenge of Smith and Jerry to figure out who is going to be part of this team's longterm plans over the next eight games.

I do NOT, however, want us to take the attitude that this year is an abberation and make moves like the Walker trade (WTF) that show no regard for the future. I disagree that we should make moves like a "win-now" team. If we're a "win-now" team we should be...well....winning.

Old 10-28-2007, 09:42 PM    (permalink
Smokey Joe
All-Pro

Well, I am starting to think we should bring back Mike Brown on an incentive based contract. I didn't want to see this happen cause he is not reliable, but there really isn't any other option we can do to upgrade. Keep Manning at free and hope he develops some more, and have Mike Brown at strong with Archuletta as backup and have him come in on running downs.

I like Peterson as well, but I think of him as more of a 3rd running back. Someone to come in once in a while, and just a good special teamer. I think we could use a good change of pace back and if Slaton is there when we pick in the second I think I'd take him.

As for QB, at first I didn't like the idea of Dixon, but I am warming up to it. He is a different type of QB who can make something happen on his feet, plus he throws a great deep ball (Berrian, Hester). And if he fails as a QB, we don't have to cut ties with him but rather just convert him to RB or WR.

Old 10-28-2007, 10:02 PM    (permalink
Hurricane Ditka
Team Leader
All-Pro

Hurricane Ditka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricane Ditka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricane Ditka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricane Ditka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricane Ditka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricane Ditka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricane Ditka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricane Ditka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricane Ditka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricane Ditka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricane Ditka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

-Franchise Quarterback (Preferably Over 6'3" 230)
-A competent Left Tackle (So Tait can move back to the right side)
-Another recieving threat (Berrian, Hester, Bradley have all shown flashes but none are dependable, Moose is old and Rashied is a Free Agent and has been non-existent this season)
-More depth on the offensive line (assuming Ruben and Miller retire, Beekman slides into a starting role we'll be lacking depth hopefully someone to supplant Garza)
-Safety Depth (We can't count on Mike Brown, if he's even on the team. Manning has been iffy, although better at safety than corner, and Arch is a constant liability in coverage)

I'd like to see some of young guys get action this season, I'd also like to see what St Clair has, and Beekman should be given a shot. Orton should also be getting some reps. I did like what I saw out of Jamar Williams in spot duty, and Dusty Dvorachek will probably take his starting role back.

sig by VLS
Quote:
I don't care...
Hurricane Ditka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 12:03 AM    (permalink
Hurricane Ditka
Team Leader
All-Pro

Hurricane Ditka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricane Ditka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricane Ditka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricane Ditka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricane Ditka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricane Ditka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricane Ditka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricane Ditka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricane Ditka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricane Ditka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricane Ditka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

If you really want a starting running back Michael Turner is a free agent, and he'd make more of an impact than any rookie would. Him and Cedric in complimentary roles would be a good combination.

sig by VLS
Quote:
I don't care...
Old 10-29-2007, 12:05 AM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurricane Ditka View Post
If you really want a starting running back Michael Turner is a free agent, and he'd make more of an impact than any rookie would. Him and Cedric in complimentary roles would be a good combination.
That won't happen. Even if we cut Benson and signed Turner it would still put too much $ in the position.

Not to mention it would totally rule out our ability to resign our own players.

I don't know how the contract adjustments will work next season, or what we can save by cutting certain people, but we're right up against the cap right now.

Old 10-29-2007, 01:30 AM    (permalink
pellepelle_10
Veteran

pellepelle_10 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.pellepelle_10 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
we have a starting RB. It doesn't matter who you put in our backfield, with this swinging gate of an offensive line, the running game will look bad, period. We do however need a better compliment/backup then Peterson.
Again smokey. Our O-Line is bad but they're not dreadful. CB needs to take some of the blame here too. I can name a ton of RB's who do well despite mediocre offensive lines. I don't want a rb who needs the great wall of china to be effective (Shaun Alexander). Its a waste man and many analysts and hall of famers have called CB as being a guy with no drive. I hope in the top 3 picks we get someone to remove CB from the starting lineup. This guy is a joke.
Old 10-29-2007, 06:29 AM    (permalink
bearfan
All-Pro

bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearfan is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pellepelle_10 View Post
Again smokey. Our O-Line is bad but they're not dreadful. CB needs to take some of the blame here too. I can name a ton of RB's who do well despite mediocre offensive lines. I don't want a rb who needs the great wall of china to be effective (Shaun Alexander). Its a waste man and many analysts and hall of famers have called CB as being a guy with no drive. I hope in the top 3 picks we get someone to remove CB from the starting lineup. This guy is a joke.
I didnt get to see any of the game yesterday, but my dad told me afterwards that some of the analysists were saying that they had never seen a starting RB that does down as easily as benson does. That says a lot to a guy who is supposed to be a power runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeansDooma View Post
who retires first: brett favre or aaron rodgers?
bearfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 11:09 AM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
Legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by pellepelle_10 View Post
It's real simple to me, who do I feel has more room for improvement over the next 3-4 years. The runningbacks, the quarterbacks, the offensive line, the wide recievers, the linebackers, or the safety position.

While I'm a supporter of Griese as our QB of now, he's not going to get any better at 32. I just don't think Orton is a real NFL QB. I'm fine keeping him around as an emergency guy, but that's all I believe he'll ever be. Grossman is Grossman. I think that bridge has been burnt.

At offensive tackle there isn't a guy under 30, unless you count the practice squad. There isn't a single developmental player here.

The runninback and safety positions have been a big problem this year no doubt, but at least we've got youth there. Danieal Manning can certainly get better, as can Benson. Wide Reciever is tricky because if Berrian is back then it drops. If Berrian isn't it becomes a big problem. Moose is basically done. He has good hands, but he's not a starter anymore. Hester has the potential, but I certainly don't feel comfortable handing him anything. Bradley just seems to dissapear, they've been giving him PT lately and he still has produced nothing. Linebacker to me is a bigger question than most. I hate Jamar Williams. I just don't see the production from the guy that most do. As of now I'd rather have Okwo playing, and even that isn't all that appealing. Would I love to replace every position that isn't producing every chance I get? Sure. But in the scheme of things, runningback is at best 4th-5th on my list.

Last edited by bearsfan_51 : 10-29-2007 at 11:12 AM.
Old 10-29-2007, 03:27 PM    (permalink
Smokey Joe
All-Pro

I think right now Lance Briggs has to be the no. 1 priority in the offseason. With Urlacher now in his 30's and with back issues, he isn't the best in the game anymore. Briggs has played like a defensive player of the year caliber player and if you ask me, it is crucial to bring him back.

Anyone know what our cap situation will look like in the offseason?

Old 10-29-2007, 05:40 PM    (permalink
Hurricane Ditka
Team Leader
All-Pro

Quote:
I think right now Lance Briggs has to be the no. 1 priority in the offseason. With Urlacher now in his 30's and with back issues, he isn't the best in the game anymore. Briggs has played like a defensive player of the year caliber player and if you ask me, it is crucial to bring him back.

Anyone know what our cap situation will look like in the offseason?
We don't ahve the money to resign Briggs, if we do we lose Harris, and Berrian at the least.

sig by VLS
Quote:
I don't care...
Old 10-29-2007, 06:27 PM    (permalink
Smokey Joe
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurricane Ditka View Post
We don't ahve the money to resign Briggs, if we do we lose Harris, and Berrian at the least.
pssh, of course we do. We should have AT LEAST 10 million in cap in the offseason.

Old 10-29-2007, 06:29 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I think resigning the CBs was a mistake. Seriously, CB is one of the easiest positions to fill in a Cover 2 scheme, why let go of your PB WILL to resign 2 Cover 2 CBs?

Well anyway, the damage is done, and now I would look to the draft (preferably round 3) for an LB replacement. I know you guys are also big on some in house talent as well.

I think this year's draft compliments some of your weaknesses very well. Its a great year for Tackles, and you guys definately need them. Im with BF51, don't get a RB early with other holes on the roster. Besides, with this deep class, a solid day 2 RB will be available.

I think qb is gonna be tricky. Because this offseason will be very interesting. Does McNabb become available? What about Lossman? Then of course, theres the depth in the draft to look into. Me personally, I like Woodson the best so far from what Ive seen (out of the potential guys coming out).

Safety will continue to be a problem. The safety class is very thin.

I think the WR core will be fine. Leave it alone. Olsen will help, with better oline and qb play, Berrian will be better. Hester is developing. Perhaps a possession guy to replace Muhammad? That can be found rather easily.

If Sweed falls, he's worth a gamble.
Old 10-29-2007, 06:32 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
Legend

We really don't play that much cover 2 when they are both healthy. That's why.

Old 10-29-2007, 06:33 PM    (permalink
bigbluedefense
Team Leader
Legend

bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bigbluedefense is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearsfan_51 View Post
We really don't play that much cover 2 when they are both healthy. That's why.
I noticed that under Rivera. But this year, from my limited view, Ive seen the Bears run a ton of zone with Rivera out of the picture.

Is it more of Lovie implementing a true Cover 2 this year, or injuries like you've said?
Old 10-29-2007, 06:45 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
Legend

I think it's the injuries. Against San Diego we played a lot of man and blitzing. Once Brown and Vasher got hurt it seems like they're much less willing to let Trumaine McBride play up on the ball, especially when the guy behind him are terrible.

Old 10-29-2007, 06:54 PM    (permalink
neko4
All-NFLDC

neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Has Derek Anderson been discussed?

Sig thanks to Bonekrusher
neko4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 07:01 PM    (permalink
Turtlepower
All-Pro

Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Turtlepower is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neko4 View Post
Has Derek Anderson been discussed?
I like Anderson as a capable backup, but he has so many weapons and a strong o-line in Cleveland. It could be a tough transisition. Anyway, signing a FA QB would help the bears so much not have to deal with drafting a QB in the first. OT is an obvious need and with the depth in this draft, it could be great to add a LT to the team in the first.

^Bad ass sig by fenikz^

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halsey View Post
I don't have to watch it to know it was not interesting.
Giants, ASU Sun Devils, Yankees
Turtlepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 07:15 PM    (permalink
Smokey Joe
All-Pro

Anderson would cost probably at least a 2nd rounder as he is a RFA.

Old 11-01-2007, 03:25 AM    (permalink
pellepelle_10
Veteran

pellepelle_10 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.pellepelle_10 hopes to escalate quickly but not get out of hand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearfan View Post
I didnt get to see any of the game yesterday, but my dad told me afterwards that some of the analysists were saying that they had never seen a starting RB that does down as easily as benson does. That says a lot to a guy who is supposed to be a power runner
this is exactly what I'm getting at. Again I'm not saying he's incapable of being a good back because we've seen what he could do last season. My problem with him is his mental drive. He seems to play well when he "wants" to. This for me just doesn't cut it. Damnit we let the guy who should be starting over his ass go. If you ask me the guy we let go should still be here while he's riding the pine but this wouldn't be a smart decision due to the crazy pay they gave him. I can understand that.

Now that he's received his pay, and handed a starting position that was given to him to justify his selection he should be running like there's no tomorrow. What I'm seeing is the exact opposite of what I saw last year. I'm not speaking about the o-line hear. I'm speaking about Cedric Benson running with authority. The guy is running like he's pooped his pants. There's no drive with this guy. He's running like he doesn't need to impress anyone. The guy simply has it all backwards. He needs to earn his keep. I'm not impressed.

Tony Dorsett on Cedric Benson
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports...4950682.column

Gayle Sayers on Cedric Benson

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune....ears-headlines

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/footb...gale12.article