Draft Countdown Forums

Go Back   Draft Countdown Forums > Draft Countdown Forums > Team Boards > Chicago Bears Team Forum

Chicago Bears Team Forum Discuss Ditka and Da Bears

Old 10-30-2007, 03:22 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
The Professor (Hall of Famer)
Legend

bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.
Default If I were GM of the Bears.....

Ok well far be it from me to question the great Jerry Angelo, but I feel like this offseason should be one of great changes and very important decisions. I'll explain my decisions at a later time (got too much work to do now) but wanted to get them all out on paper (metaphorically of course).

Cut List
Muhsin Muhammad
Fred Miller
Darwin Walker
Adam Archuleta
Mike Brown

Resign List
Lance Briggs- 5 years 35 million- 18 million guaranteed
Tommie Harris- 7 years 56 million- 28 million guaranteed

Franchise
Bernard Berrian- about 7-8 million dollars

Trade
Alex Brown- late 3rd rounder
Early 2nd round pick- Late 2nd & Late 3rd pick
Late 3rd and Chargers 3rd- Late 2nd

Sign
Mike Doss- two years, vet minimum

Let go in Free Agency
Rueben Brown
John Gilmore
Rashied Davis
Rex Grossman
Branden Ayanbadejo

Draft (assuming we pick 10th or so)
1st round- Sam Baker, OT, USC
Late 2nd round- Chad Henne, QB, Michigan
Late 2nd round- Andre Fluellen, DT, Florida State
3rd round- Jamar Adams/Quntin Demps, Safety
Late 3rd round- Paul Hubbard, Wide Reciever, Wisconsin
4th round- Chad Rinehart, Offensive Tackle, Northern Iowa
5th round- Matt Forte, Runningback/Fullback, Tulane
6th- Brad Cottom, Tight End, Tennessee
7th- Leon Hart, Offensive Lineman, Auburn
Roster

QB- Brian Griese, Kyle Orton, Chad Henne
RB- Cedric Benson, Adrian Peterson, Garret Wolfe
FB- Jason McKie, Matt Forte
WR- Bernard Berrian, Mark Bradley, Devin Hester, Paul Hubbard, Mike Hass
TE- Greg Olsen, Desmond Clark, Brad Cottom
T- Sam Baker, John Tait, John St.Clair, Chad Rinehart
G- Roberto Garza, Josh Beekman, Terrance Metcalf
C- Olin Kruetz, Leon Hart

DE- Adewale, Mark Anderson, Dan Bazuin, Israel Idonije
DT- Tommie Harris, Dusty Dvorachek, Anthony Adams, Andre Fluellen, Antonio Garay
LB- Brian Urlacher, Lance Briggs, Hunter Hillenmeyer, Jamar Williams, Michael Okwo, Rod Wilson
CB- Charles Tillman, Nathan Vasher, Ricky Manning Jr, Trumaine McBride, Corey Graham
S- Danieal Manning, Kevin Payne, Mike Doss, Quentin Demps, Brandon McGowan

Nobody cares about your stupid fantasy team.

Last edited by bearsfan_51 : 10-30-2007 at 03:34 PM.
bearsfan_51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 03:36 PM    (permalink
dabears10
All-Pro

dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.dabears10 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

I'm guessing your reasoning for letting Ayanbadejo go is because his demand for too large of a contract. I would keep him as letting special teamers like Cameron Worrell and Dante Wesley are gone, who would be our coverage guys now?

Thanks to BoneKrusher Credit and Rep to him for the sig.

dabears10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 03:41 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
Legend

bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.bearsfan_51 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabears10 View Post
I'm guessing your reasoning for letting Ayanbadejo go is because his demand for too large of a contract. I would keep him as letting special teamers like Cameron Worrell and Dante Wesley are gone, who would be our coverage guys now?
That and he's 31. I feel like Jamar Williams, McGowan, Payne, Wilson, hell maybe even Adrian Peterson again all have the capacity to be very good to great gunners. The general theme was to cut age and overpaid players in order to clear up space to sign the players that we need, and fill depth with youth. On a team that isn't going to win the Superbowl there is never an excuse to have a backup over the age of 30, it makes no longterm sense.

In addition, guys like Walker and Archuleta are signed to deals that would be very easy to cut bait now on and clear up room. As I recall, Walker's deal was very backloaded (thank the lord). I think more than anything he was signed becuase they were concerned about Tommie's health and their ability to resign him.

Old 10-30-2007, 06:17 PM    (permalink
Smokey Joe
All-Pro

Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

not the greatest offseason, but not the worst either. I'd be content with that. However, franchising Berrian is a stupid idea as I highly doubt he will command 7-8 million on the free agent market, and we'd be best served just resigning him to a long term contract.

Also, I don't like the idea of getting rid of Ayanbadejo is a bad idea. If he does command an amount he doesn't deserve, fine. But with him being named special teams captain and him being a big part of our special teams, to go along with the fact he is from and loves Chicago, I doubt he leaves.

^Thanks to Eaglez.Fan for the sweet sig!

Last edited by Smokey Joe : 10-30-2007 at 06:20 PM.
Smokey Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 06:19 PM    (permalink
Hurricane Ditka
Team Leader
All-Pro

Hurricane Ditka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricane Ditka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricane Ditka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricane Ditka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricane Ditka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricane Ditka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricane Ditka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricane Ditka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricane Ditka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricane Ditka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Hurricane Ditka is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokey Joe View Post
not the greatest offseason, but not the best either.
Smokey do you read what you say?

sig by VLS
Quote:
I don't care...
Hurricane Ditka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 06:20 PM    (permalink
Smokey Joe
All-Pro

Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.Smokey Joe is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurricane Ditka View Post
Smokey do you read what you say?
where'd you get that from? ;)

Old 10-30-2007, 06:24 PM    (permalink
Smokey Joe
All-Pro

what do you guys think of Quadtrine Hill? IIRC, he was pretty good at Miami. He could be an option for backup FB, emergency RB, as he was kept on the IR.

Old 10-30-2007, 06:27 PM    (permalink
neko4
All-NFLDC

neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.neko4 is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

WHy would you need to tag Berrian, does he wanna leave?

Sig thanks to Bonekrusher
neko4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 07:19 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
Legend

Alright people...but when Berrian gets tagged and/or leaves for big time money be ready for me to say I told you so.

Derrick Dockery got 49 million dollars. He's a ******* guard. And not a very good one at that.

7 million to keep Berrian around for another year is pennies. It allows us to see how much more he'll develop without committing large guaranteed money to him, allows another year for Hester to get integrated into the offense, and keeps us from losing the only young and proven reciever we've got.

By the way, this mock was not constructed to make us better next year, arguably it makes us worse, but it makes us a lot younger and allows for better depth and competition, which is where I think we should refocus.

The team has become a country-club for ****** vets. I'm not sure when that happened but it pisses me off.

Old 10-30-2007, 07:37 PM    (permalink
toonsterwu
Legend

toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Here's my debatable thought (that is, not sure I'd do it) -

We definitely need an upgrade at S. Why not ... Charles Tillman? When he came out, people said that if he couldn't stick at corner, then well, he could make an excellent safety. At some point, he might have to make that move anyways.

Yes, he's still doing fine at corner. That said, where's the safety answer for us? I'm a fan of Danieal Manning ... but that's more with what he could become rather than what he is. Granted, Tillman's an unknown in that regards, but I think he could make the transition.

I'm not a big fan of how our money is allocated in some respects. Both Tillman and Vasher are signed down long term when CB, within the system, isn't exactly irreplaceable. Add in Ricky Manning Jr. and that's a lot of money for the CB spot. Trumaine McBride has looked decent.

I'd ponder moving Tillman to FS, shift Danieal Manning to CB fulltime, allowing us to focus on finding a strong safety. I think our CB play could still be fine.

Just a thought.
toonsterwu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 07:45 PM    (permalink
Smokey Joe
All-Pro

That doesn't make any sense to me at all toons. Tillman is better then Vasher if you ask me, and is one of the better corners in the league. Sure, he would probably make a good FS, but we have seen Dan Manning at CB and he isn't good. Manning's future is at FS, not CB.

Old 10-30-2007, 07:56 PM    (permalink
PACKmanN
All-Pro

PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.PACKmanN is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Bobbie Williams would be a better 3rd or even 4th round pick. He has a high motor and play making ability.
Old 10-30-2007, 07:57 PM    (permalink
toonsterwu
Legend

toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.toonsterwu is kind of a big deal around here, people know him.

Here's the problem - as good as a corner as anyone might be, within the context of the system, there's limitations on how much can be done, and it makes no sense to me how we've allocated so much money to position that, within the system, is not the most significant position in the scheme. I mean, McBride's looked decent so far, and certainly, he wasn't a highly valued corner as a draftee.

Particularly under Babich, I think (haven't checked anything) that we've played much more cover 2 than we did under Rivera. Arguably, a case can be made that a dominant safety, free or strong, within the cover 2 is a more significant position in many respects than CB.

I'm not saying I'd make the move (as noted), but just that I don't like the way we've allocated things. For all the talk about JA's amazing ability to sign these guys, it's a lot of money allocated and at some point, some tough decisions will have to be made.

Sure, Tampa's spent to keep Ronde and Brian, but they've also found good safeties, which we haven't done.

Btw, I wouldn't call Tillman one of the better corners in the league. I mean, I don't think he's a top 10 corner. Top 20 maybe.

Last edited by toonsterwu : 10-30-2007 at 08:00 PM.
Old 10-30-2007, 08:19 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
Legend

I think we've been playing more cover 2 since Vasher got hurt. Before that it seemed like a lot of cover 3 man with blitzing. We were putting 8 in the box a lot, even on passing downs, to compensate for Arch's inadequecies.

And I would personally consider Tillman top 10. Not elite, but damn good. But I'm of the opinion as well that Tillman is much better than Vasher.

Old 10-30-2007, 08:29 PM    (permalink
toonsterwu
Legend

I'm not sure that TIllman is top 3 in the NFC North. Certainly debatable, but Harris/Woodson probably are playing better right now. And it's sorta hard to tell if Winfield is playing better since he doesn't get challenged that much from what I've seen, but a case could be made for Winfield ahead of Tillman.

Here's the thing - I think Tillman has much better physical tools than Vasher, but I think Vasher has better, perhaps not by much, but better instincts. I think he reacts better and is a bit more consistent overall.
Old 10-30-2007, 08:55 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
Legend

Winfield has steadily declined. I live in Minneapolis and have watched almost every Vikings games this year. Trust me...he's not even in the debate at this point.

Old 11-04-2007, 05:30 PM    (permalink
Smokey Joe
All-Pro

thinking about the idea of letting Ayanbadejo go, I wouldn't hate it. However, do you think the Bears have plans of resigning him? Afterall, they named him the special teams captain this year. Or is that just something they did because he is such a good special teams player?

But, if a team does offer him a decent sized contract and perhaps a shot to start, I think he takes that offer.

Old 11-04-2007, 05:32 PM    (permalink
bearsfan_51
Legend

Quote:
thinking about the idea of letting Ayanbadejo go, I wouldn't hate it. However, do you think the Bears have plans of resigning him? Afterall, they named him the special teams captain this year. Or is that just something they did because he is such a good special teams player?

But, if a team does offer him a decent sized contract and perhaps a shot to start, I think he takes that offer.
"The Bears" don't name anyone captain of anything. It's voted on by the players, who have no say in personel decisions.

Old 11-04-2007, 05:36 PM    (permalink
Smokey Joe
All-Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearsfan_51 View Post
"The Bears" don't name anyone captain of anything. It's voted on by the players, who have no say in personel decisions.
I thought Lovie decides on 2 or 3, and the players vote on 2. I don't know. All teams do it differently.

Old 11-16-2007, 03:03 AM    (permalink
DMBZeppelin

Quote:
That doesn't make any sense to me at all toons. Tillman is better then Vasher if you ask me, and is one of the better corners in the league. Sure, he would probably make a good FS, but we have seen Dan Manning at CB and he isn't good. Manning's future is at FS, not CB.
My thoughts exactly.